Writing Guidelines

When we click “publish” it’s easy to feel like we’re sending our work into outer space. In reality, there are hundreds of eager readers waiting to receive our writing. Imagine real people out there feeling the weight of your words.

Community.

Write the World is an online community created exclusively for young writers ages 13 - 18 years and their teachers. Write the World is solely for use by this community.

Content.

The power of our writing goes hand in hand with responsibility. Make sure that you’re supporting other people through your writing rather than pulling them down.

Our community won’t tolerate writing that is offensive in any way. We recognize that what may be offensive to one person may not be offensive to another. At Write the World, we try to navigate this line because we do not wish to encourage any content that we believe may be hurtful, defamatory or discriminatory in nature. If writing of an offensive nature is brought to our attention, Write the World reserves the right to remove material from the site and take appropriate action. Any commercial posts and/or spam will also be removed from the site.

If you’re worried about another writer, based on the troubling nature of topics they’re writing about, or if you notice disconcerting or offensive content in comments or peer reviews, please send a private email listing the student's username and a link to the page on which it appears to hello@writetheworld.com.

Please refer to the site’s terms for further information.

Plagiarism.

Plagiarism, the copying and/or reproducing of someone else's writing and/or ideas without attribution, violates the purpose of Write the World. By taking another person's idea and claiming it as your own, you are stealing something valuable from them. [You are also denying yourself an opportunity to develop your own unique identity through thoughtful writing.]

Of course, all ideas are the product of other ideas, but it's very important to differentiate between your own original thinking and the thinking of others. Remember that changing a few words in a sentence or paraphrasing (writing out something in your own words) does not transform another person's idea into your own. When you use someone else's idea in your work, you must cite the original source. If you are unclear of how to cite work, please check out the excellent guide available at Purdue Owl. You may be familiar with a particular citation method (such as APA or Chicago). Please use whatever format you are comfortable with — we are less concerned with what format you use and most concerned that you have made an effort to acknowledge where your ideas come from.

If you publish work that is plagiarized, it will be removed from the site. If you continue to publish plagiarized work, you will lose your membership to Write the World.

We know that the differentiation between original ideas and plagiarism might seem confusing when you are learning to write, and we are here to help. If you are in doubt as to whether to cite something or not, it's best to err on the side of caution and cite your source. We are also so happy to help you navigate the world of citations — please contact Clare at clare@writetheworld.com or Liza at liza@writetheworld.com if you have any questions.