Img 3505

Paige Morse

High school student, Asbury Park enthusiast | "Faith will be rewarded" -Bruce Springsteen

Springsteen's River Tour: What the Boss Means to Me

70,000 fans. 4 hours. One man and his guitar. What took place at Gillette Stadium on September 14 was a rock n’ roll sermon, and Bruce Springsteen was the minister.
    There are two types of Boss concert-goers: people who go to the show, say, “Wow, that was a good show,” and go home; and there’s people like me. People who go to the show and leave different than when they walked in. People who say to themselves, “I need to quit my job and follow this man on tour wherever he goes.” People who work extra hours to be able to afford that ticket for a show on the other side of the country. People who recognize their friends in the crowd beside them, friends who feel the same way. People who count down the days until their next show, when they can finally feel that unexplainable energy again.
    And who are these people? They are people you...

Under the Cape Cod Sun

The best part, I remember, was the mudroom rug. Bright designs of flip flops covered it, and I spent my childhood trying to match up my little feet to the perfect size shoe. Every time I visited my aunt Pam’s beach house, “The Henshaw House” I'd call it, I’d march around on that carpet looking for my pair of shoes, the perfect fit.
    Upstairs the bathroom doorstop was shaped like a family of ducklings, which looked like a toy in a five-year-old’s mind. When I would try to play with it, I couldn’t even lift it off the ground. Instead I played with the Henshaw bunny, a stuffed animal that belonged to my older cousin.  I never took the bunny home. It belonged at Henshaw.
    Little flies would sit on the walkway stones leading up to the front door, and on sunny summer afternoons I would jump at them until they flew away. Some would land again on...

Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ

Each wood board is a step deeper into the promised land,
Sun smiles over the charming seaside town,
Winds whisper age-old secrets,
As it whirls through the ruins of the Casino.

Bicycle wheels spinning like a ferris wheel,
Grazing the eroded floor of teal and coral tiles,
A mermaid giggles beside me,
Smirking at all the more she knows than me.

Inside these two remaining walls lies an untold story,
A story of glamour and bliss and endless summers,
A young girl dancing with her soulmate,
Across the teal and coral tiles of life.

The familiar faces of strangers grin as they pass by,
But my soul is enthralled,
By the palace staring directly at me, begging me to peek inside,
I couldn’t help but smile that I was home.

Green embellishments accent the Convention Hall,
Its glass doors swing open to anyone who cares to listen,
To listen to the stories hidden in its foundation,
Stories that shook the...

A Warm Slice of American Pie

“This one time at band camp” is just one of the many famous quotes woven into pop culture by the movie “American Pie.” Teen comedies have been around for a while, but few have made as large of an impact as American Pie. Released in 1999, four senior boys on the brink of adulthood make a pact to all lose their virginities by prom night. One boy, the Sandler-esque Jim Levenstein (Jason Biggs), embarrasses himself and wrecks his chance of a relationship with a gorgeous Czechoslovakian exchange student. He also does some other questionable things with baked goods, giving the movie its title.
Jim’s friend, lacrosse player Chris Ostreicher (Chris Klein), joins the school choir to meet girls and ends up falling in love with one of the singers while learning he has a new talent. Meanwhile, nice-guy Kevin (Thomas Ian Nicholas) tries to convince his girlfriend Vickie (Tara Reid) that they should finally lose their virginities, while the pseudosophisticated...

Bruce Springsteen wows crowd in Boston

“Are you ready to be entertained? Are you ready to be transformed?” Bruce Springsteen yelled when he came on stage on February 4 at the TD Garden in Boston. Bruce kept his promise as soon as he strummed his trademark Fender Esquire guitar.
When Bruce announced that he would be touring the entire album The River and stopping in Boston, I was overwhelmed with joy. My friend and I bought two general admission floor tickets, with hopes of winning the pit lottery to get very close to the stage.
As the winning number was announced and we found out we had made the pit, everyone around us erupted with excitement as we hugged random men and women we had met only minutes before. Tears dripped down my face. We were going to be in the pit at a Bruce Springsteen concert! When we entered the pit, we snagged a spot slightly left of the center of the stage, behind...

The Man, The Myth, The Legend: John Belushi

“TOGA!” This is one of John Belushi’s most famous movie lines. In his short life, Belushi was remembered for so many things. He was an original cast member of Saturday Night Live and was known for his over-the-top energy while performing. While dazzling audiences on SNL, he took over the big screen aswell. John Belushi lives on in his effortless performances and will never be forgotten.
    John Adam Belushi was born January 24, 1949 in Chicago Illinois. Both of his parents were Albanian immigrants who raised him and his younger brother, Jim, in Wheaton, Illinois. Growing up, John was very popular. He was the co-captain of his high school football team and homecoming king in his senior year of high school. Though he was planning to become a football coach, his drama teacher encouraged him to pursue a career in acting. After his graduation in 1967, Belushi attended the University of Wisconsin at Whitewater where he became rebellious his freshman...

Best Movies on Netflix

Whether I am snowed in or have nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon, Netflix is always my essential go-to. I know that a lot of people use Netflix for TV shows, but there are many great movies available to watch anytime if you have a subscription. Here are my top recommendations.
10. Dirty Dancing (1987) Set in the ‘60s when families used to spend the entire summer at holiday camps, Dirty Dancing tells the story of a teenage girl named Baby(Jennifer Grey) who falls in love with the camp’s attractive dance instructor, Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze). This movie is where the famous quote, “Nobody puts Baby in the corner” originates from. With an amazing motown soundtrack, Dirty Dancing is sure to please all audiences.
9. Rain Man (1988) In the Academy Award winner for Best Picture, Tom Cruise plays Charlie, a selfish man whose father, whom he never really got along with, has just died. He tries to inherit...

Album Review Competition 2015

An Album Born To Run

Growing up in working class Freehold, New Jersey, Bruce Springsteen watched his father struggle to keep a steady job while his mother was a secretary at an insurance office. The Boss had a complicated relationship with his father, which he credited as the inspiration for many of his songs. His passionate storytelling would not have been the same if Bruce Springsteen got along great with his father.

His third album, Born to Run, skyrocketed the Boss into the spotlight. Even though the album only has eight songs, Born to Run is one of the most powerful albums of all time, showcasing what it's like to be young and wild. 

In his previous albums, Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. and The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle, Bruce Springsteen crammed as many rhyming words as he could into most of his songs. I like a lot of the songs on these albums, but not many of them compare to the poetic masterpieces found on 1975's Born...

Album Review Competition 2015

An Album Born To Run

His third album Born to Run skyrocketed the Boss into the spotlight. Even though the album only has eight songs, Born to Run is one of the most powerful albums of all time, showcasing what it's like to be young and wild. 

After having been in the bar scene of Asbury Park and other cities, Bruce Springsteen released his first two albums in the early seventies. In his previous albums, Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. and The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle, Bruce Springsteen crammed as many rhyming words as he could into most of his songs. I like...

Truths and Untruths

Things I Wish Were and Weren't True About High School

Things I wish were true:

1. High school is like a John Hughes movie.
  2. Everyone gets along.
  3. Freshmen can date seniors.
  4. No one will judge you if you fall down the stairs.
  5. No one makes fun of other people.

Things I wish weren't true:

1. People get high on campus every day.
  2. People try to kill themselves.
  3. Everyone competes for the highest GPA.
  4. Freshmen are hated.
  5. Your whole future is riding on what you do and don't do.

10 Reasons Why Vinyl Is Better

In case you are unfamiliar with what vinyl is, it’s those big black circular records that you play on a turntable. They were most popular in the ‘60s through the ‘80s but are making a comeback. Here’s why you should pick one up.

10. Price I get my vinyl at several different places, but most of the stores I shop at sell used vinyl for as little as $2 an album. On iTunes albums are five times that! I have over 25 records and I don’t think I’ve spent more than $100 on all of them.

9. Personal Investment Vinyl isn’t as quick to turn on as digital, but I personally love having to take the record out of its sleeve, place it on the turntable, carefully drop the needle, and eventually flip the record over. This process keeps you personally invested in your music and requires your involvement rather than just hitting “play” on your iPhone.

8. The Smell...

Truths and Untruths

Things I wish were true:

2. Everyone gets along.
  3. Freshmen can date seniors.
  5. No one makes fun of other people.

Things I wish weren't true:

1. People get high on campus every day.

2. People try to kill themselves.

4. Freshmen are hated.