Beeprofilepic

Tacita

Irrepressible sci-fi/fantasy enthusiast.

Beeprofilepic
4
1

Tacita (United States) published:

Quartets

PROMPT: Quartet

Consurgia

She lived, content if not happy, dwelling in her corner of the universe. She loved, quietly and fiercely, keeping it to herself.

She died, silently.

She got back up, noticeably.

belladonna, bonny shears
She ran from home to hide underground, in more ways than one. She stole secrets, big and small, some to hoard and some to sell, and cultivated acquaintances as a horticulturist tends their plants; carefully, with distanced affection and keen calculation. And, as these things go, she...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Beeprofilepic

Tacita (United States) published:

The Rose's Feast

Neath the motile moonish stars

Swaddled in an Avid Glove

Heed the creed of our Bazaar

"Lo, in all things, look to love."

Seeking Peer Reviews

Beeprofilepic

Tacita (United States) published:

A Shortcut

PROMPT: All in a Name

My name is Anastasia Maren Kelly Carney, always called Tess.  

Carney; a fairly uncommon surname, my father's last name and one half of my mother's (she has a hyphen between the Kelly and the Carney - it's hell on any directory she tries to use. One time, when I was little, I said I wanted to be Kelly-Carney too. Mom tried to explain that I would be found under the K's and not the C's if I did that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Beeprofilepic
3
1

Tacita (United States) published:

oh thank god (and assorted unfocused thoughts)

I updated all of the apps I have in my iTunes collection today. Mindlessly clicking "update all" and reentering my username and password, since most of them are still registered under an old apple ID. I stopped and looked at all of the apps - puzzle games, reminder apps, apps for organization, for ordering food, simple games. I thought about the endless articles bemoaning the digital era and us digital natives - so sad, faces always in a screen, when...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Beeprofilepic
Photo 3

Tacita (United States) started following Liza Cochran (United States)

Beeprofilepic
Leader

Tacita (United States) earned a badge Leader

Beeprofilepic
3
4

Tacita (United States) published:

Olinda

PROMPT: Invisible Cities

Vivified Cities - Olinda

Olinda is old. Theoretically, there was a time when it did not exist, but privately many people, particularly the residents themselves, doubt that such a time existed. Always there, decaying. The houses crumble, the streets and sidewalks crack, the trees that were planted in a feeble beautification initiative wither in the hard-packed soil. It is not possible to find a “border” for at the edges Olinda fades to nothing.

Olinda is young. In the crumbling houses,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Beeprofilepic
1

Tacita (United States) published:

Derinkuyu

PROMPT: Fantasy Writing Competition 2015

When you wake, only the most charitable would consider it to be morning.

There is not even a shred of sunlight to be found when you open your eyes, but the clattering and screeching continues. You don't want to be awake, but here you are, you guess.

You feel your way to the door, stubbing your feet on the stone threshold and feeling beads smack you in the eyes. There's no light in your outer rooms either, which means it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Beeprofilepic
Competitor

Tacita (United States) earned a badge Competitor

Beeprofilepic
Image

Tacita (United States) started following Norah (United States)

Quartet

Quartets

Consurgia

She died, silently.

She got back up, noticeably.

belladonna, bonny shears
She ran from home to hide underground, in more ways than one. She stole secrets, big and small, some to hoard and some to sell, and cultivated acquaintances as a horticulturist tends their plants; carefully, with distanced affection and keen calculation. And, as these things go, she made a mistake.

o the beloved
She trimmed her hair, her nails, her fangs. She packed her bag full of everything she had left of what she loved. She ate her shadow, and then she left.

The Rose's Feast

Neath the motile moonish stars

Swaddled in an Avid Glove

Heed the creed of our Bazaar

"Lo, in all things, look to love."

All in a Name

A Shortcut

Carney; a fairly uncommon surname, my father's last name and one half of my mother's (she has a hyphen between the Kelly and the Carney - it's hell on any directory she tries to use. One time, when I was little, I said I wanted to be Kelly-Carney too. Mom tried to explain that I would be found under the K's and not the C's if I did that - I don't know why that point was so important to her, but all it did was confuse me, because I thought she meant that my name would have to be Kelly-Karney. I started crying. It was bad.). Irish. Sounds like the semi pejorative term for a carnival worker.  

Kelly; also a surname, also Irish, my mother's maiden name (where she lived as a child and teenager, there was a small roast beef sandwich chain called Kelly's- she...

Open Prompt

I updated all of the apps I have in my iTunes collection today. Mindlessly clicking "update all" and reentering my username and password, since most of them are still registered under an old apple ID. I stopped and looked at all of the apps - puzzle games, reminder apps, apps for organization, for ordering food, simple games. I thought about the endless articles bemoaning the digital era and us digital natives - so sad, faces always in a screen, when will they experience the "real world". I looked at all of these apps and I thought about the other articles I read earlier and I thought; thank god. Thank god I was born now and not even twenty years earlier. Thank every god there is that I can use apps to scaffold my attention deficited frontal cortex.

Thank god that I can search instantly through my phone to find something I thought about from years ago, and I can actually...

Invisible Cities

Olinda

Vivified Cities - Olinda

Olinda is young. In the crumbling houses, citizens gather for marriages, births, deaths, meals, for any reason at all, because they are here. On the cracked streets and sidewalks they meander, they rush and they stride, in all directions but inevitably to the city center. Tiny sparkling brilliant flowers grow from the smooth soil, increasing in frequency the farther into the city you go. Maybe it is the residents' prayers, their kind words and well wishes, which cause the flowers to grow. 

Fantasy Writing Competition 2015

Derinkuyu

You feel your way to the door, stubbing your feet on the stone threshold and feeling beads smack you in the eyes. There's no light in your outer rooms either, which means it must be a truly unholy hour.  It takes you three tries to spark the sunjar you set in the niche in the wall yesterday evening, and when it finally does you are predictably staring right at it so your vision is now clouded with spots.

You really don't want to be awake.

The ungodly clamor is coming from your pantry (of course), where you (predictably) find that a rock-griffon has somehow gotten into your study supplies. Again. Two of its tiny...

Fernweh

Embulisgue

Embulisgue, noun (em-bu-lis-guh)

The state of wanting to do something but being unable to due to exhaustion, especially in social situations where the cause of said exhaustion is not immediately apparent to those being declined.

Example: A spate of unexpected embulisgue forced me to skip a scheduled party.

Also: embulisgant, adjective - being in a state of embulisgue

Truths and Untruths

Enough

An untruth: I know what I am doing. 

A truth: No one ever does. 

An untruth: I am always odd and off-putting.

A truth: No one isn't.

An untruth: I must be perfect.

A truth: No one is.

An untruth: I am failing.

A truth: No one isn't.

An untruth: I am normal.

A truth: NO ONE IS.

Zoom In

There Is

Go to the sea - the colder and bigger one, not the coldest or biggest, you know - and follow the sun. Cross the beach, the sand filled with stones and sharp shell shards, toughen your feet on the asphalt, do not worry about being seen - at this time few come here. At some point, if are going in the correct direction, with the sun and a little bit to the middle, you will pass where my mother lived. Skim over hours of houses and cracked concrete, beautiful weeds persisting in the margins, pass through stretches of intentioned grass and young trees - now you are closer.  

Go to where the homes are made of wooden composites, or maybe brick. It is not shiny here. There is no chrome but kitchen appliances, forever and always on sale. There is glass, but it is dusty. The ghosts in these houses are quiet, more so than the people but not...

Fantasy Writing Competition 2015

Derinkuyu

You feel your way to the door, stubbing your feet on the stone threshold and feeling beads smack you in the eyes. There's no light in your outer rooms either, which means it must be a truly unholy hour.  It takes you three tries to spark the sunjar you set in the niche in the wall yesterday evening, and when it finally does you are predictably staring right at it so your vision is now clouded with spots.  

You really don't want to be awake.  

The ungodly clamor is coming from your pantry (of course), where you (predictably) find that a rock-griffon has somehow gotten into your study supplies....

Inventory

Renegade (runaway)

FILE: Nerium, 17 (?), ??

ITEMS CONFISCATED:

• Five (5) reusable water bottles
    • Two (2) empty, two (2) half-full, one (1) full.
  • Ten (10) packets of beef jerky
    • Five (5) Slim Jim human brand, three (3) Jack Link's human brand, two (2) unmarked packaging, unknown origin.
  • One (1) miniature photo album, locked (key not found)
    • Status: unopened. Securely sealed. Key not found on the apprehended.
  • One (1) set of kifers, visibly used
  • One (1) pumice stone
  • Two (2) half-empty bottles of hand cream, generic human brand
  • One (1) jeweled ring, 1" diameter
    • Unknown metallic composition. Unknown crystal composition.
  • One (1) encrypted communications device, unknown origin
    • Status: locked.
  • Three (3) packets of plant fertilizer, Miracle-Gro brand
    • Two (2) unopened, one (1) opened, visible teeth marks on edge

No Likes Yet

Tacita doesn't have any likes yet.

6 Likes from Others

There Is

Liked by 7 people

Quartets

Liked by 4 people

Derinkuyu

Liked by 1 person

Olinda

Liked by 3 people

Enough

Liked by 1 person

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned almost 3 years ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned almost 3 years ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned over 2 years ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned almost 3 years ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned almost 3 years ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Favoriter inactive

Get favoriting - read and favorite over ten pieces published by others to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Reviewer inactive

Just write and submit a review to become a reviewer. Get to it!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.