she’s-got-a-story

ghost town

i tried to tell about the night... and i could not tell it; as i cannot tell it now.
-hemingway

i know i’m bound to lose / when i feel the need to use why i’m full
-wallows, i’m full

elle

i’ve been around a while. the form and the quality of my writing has changed over the years, but the themes are eternal:
food and the hate of it, family and the love of it, and youth and the mystery of it.

Peer Reviews

The Devil is Cold

PROMPT: Your World in Three Senses

your sensory descriptions balance out the fast-paced action you've decided to include, and it all works wonderfully to create suspense and drama. there's some places (indicated) where the grammar could be tightened, but it's a solid, solid piece and i'm excited to see where you take it. (not to mention that title. it sets the scene perfectly.)

over 1 year

#elisahasacontest

adorable entry. you could condense in some places, but it's not that big a deal, and the little flaws in the narrative actually kinda work for it. it adds personality and draws you in. thanks for writing x elle

over 1 year

Breath.

PROMPT: Word

how did you decide to choose breath? you poured meaning and emotion into this piece and i love it. x elle

over 1 year

The Death of Vivi Lake (7)

i want more to this story. it could be cleaned up and condensed in some areas, but the narration is consistent and cute. well done! x elle

over 1 year

Five Beginnings

PROMPT: Five Beginnings

your beginnings are intriguing- any one of them could be expanded upon, and you have some really cool premises going on. excited to see what you do with these ideas. x elle

over 1 year

glow up

loved this poem a lot; thanks for writing. :)

over 1 year

Where I'm from

PROMPT: Where I'm From

this piece is filled with great metaphors and emotion. tighten up the grammar a bit, and you'll be golden! also, thanks for giving me the opportunity to learn about (look up) bilateral vocal-cord paralysis! x elle

over 1 year

The Teenage Dream

"the dream" looks different to different youth, and this piece seems to be mostly focusing on the wannabes who, by trying not to be, have become "basic". It's filled to the brim with irony, and I love that. It reminds me of that time Jonathan Byers said, "She's not just another suburban girl who thinks she's rebelling by doing exactly what every other suburban girl does!"

over 1 year

Blue

LOVELY. Thank you for this piece.

almost 2 years

map

the subject of the piece is a little unclear, but i think this is an asset. raw emotion roars through and delivers a punch, and combined with this confusion, the power of the piece is amplified. beautiful words paint a horrific picture. well done :)

almost 2 years

5 months late

All the lovely imagery in this poem are giving me a retro-cinematic vibe. Like a Troye Sivan song, except not at all like a Troye Sivan song. And weirdly like that part in TFIOS in the ICU. I don't know. Your poem is raw, but still sweet and kind of innocent, and it evokes such a complicated feeling. I love it :)

almost 2 years

The Waiting Room

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

this piece started out with a good drive and tension, but i feel like it lost its way. the last couple of sentences bring this piece from the realm of Mr. Meyer's head into a pretty standard, mediocre, tell-not-show kind of situation. keep drafting. you have a really great story coming along!

over 2 years

I love him too

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

this piece is really adorable. the narrator's oblivion and tom's awkwardness drew me right in and held me. i love it :) keep writing!

over 2 years

Ashes, Ashes

This piece provides such a beautiful picture of mental illness. It's not portrayed as something evil that we must fix, but just another way to view the world. You don't see that kind of portrayal a lot, and it's really valuable. Through the eyes of this character, we see a world that's maybe even more beautiful than this one, where everything fits together and his red strings on bulletin boards actually mean things. This piece just really made me think. Thank you for this. :)

over 2 years

A Few Tips To Help You Write :)

PROMPT: Timeless Counsel

Thanks so much for this! You've really brought to life some potentially dull material. I loved the informal narration and the peek into your writing process. :)

almost 3 years

Dogmatic

PROMPT: Your View

I am in such admiration of the bravery you have to say what you mean. This piece is raw, truthful, and above all, IMPORTANT. If we become too scared to say what we mean, then society will begin to be built on lies and false standards. Thank you for delaying that just a little bit longer. :)

about 3 years

Pilot

PROMPT: Cast of Characters

This is intriguing! I can't wait to read your pilot. :)

about 3 years

What He Left Behind

Um, wow. this piece hit me like a freight train. It's delicate and touching, and I am in admiration of your skills at portraying emotion. Well done. I look forward to your future pieces. :)

about 3 years

Cause of Death: Excessive Annotation

I loved the theme and delivery of this piece. I tried not to take it apart and analyze it too much, as that would be the height of irony, but I must tell you it was an extremely interesting read. I loved the way you used metaphors to describe metaphors! I especially enjoyed the way you described annotating as "suffocating" the metaphors in the text. The loud, rebuking simplicity was very startling and beautiful in this piece. It was as if simplicity itself dared to say, "BE SIMPLE!" Lovely job. :)

over 3 years

falling.

PROMPT: 10 Second Essays

Magnificent job! I was hooked from the first line. (: this is extremely captivating! I will be looking for more of your work in the future!

over 3 years

Everyone, Emery

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Great job! Please see annotations and above comments. :)

over 3 years

spectrum of haikus

A joyous poem That mixes me up and shows Me the world anew

over 3 years

Stranger Stranger

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Wow! Great job! Please see my above comments and the annotations. :D

over 3 years

Her Eyes

PROMPT: One Sentence Story

This story is wonderful! However, when reading it the wording caused me to stumble a bit. If this piece was rearranged a bit, it would help the flow.

over 3 years

I'm Sorry.

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Well done!

over 3 years

The Butterfly

This is a delicate poem, just as cautious and hesitant as its gentle subject. I really FELT your poem. Marvelous job! I will look for more of your writing in the future!

over 3 years

Childhood Friends

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

over 3 years

Why I Worry

PROMPT: One Sentence Story

I loved this single-sentence story. The mood is perfect, and even in one sentence, Mama's character-building is on point.

over 3 years

words of advice that you should definitely read twice

PROMPT: Collected Wisdom

Great message! Very hopeful and inspiring!

over 3 years

Depression

PROMPT: Twenty-Six Sentences

Wow! The mood of this piece was really well done. The word choices were really unique--especially that ever-hated letter X... Well done.

over 3 years

Star Tipping Expert

I really just loved this piece. It is filled with that nervous, innocent excitement that us kids are so prone to feeling. :"D You portrayed that really well. Great job!

over 3 years

Things We Never Talk About

PROMPT: Enumeration

This piece is great. I love it. The narrator is just so innocent and seemingly naive, it's easy to see the way he/she views the world. The simple way an entire, beautiful, heart-wrenching story is told with just a few words... wow. Just wow. This story is definitely one of my favorites. You did a great job. See my (one) highlighted comment.

over 3 years

We

PROMPT: Mysteries Abound

I loved this piece, and its title. You did a great job capturing the spirit of the prompt and opening my eyes to the world's problems. The only question left is... how can we fix the world's problems?

over 3 years

Note To Self

PROMPT: Dear Me

I would try to review my comma placement in this (BEAUTIFUL) piece. Some sentences are bordering run-on and some could be combined. This piece is just, in essence, lovely. Great job. :) Most of my suggestions are just that--suggestions. I loved your piece ardently.

over 3 years

The Stars That Heard My Cry

I LOVE THE TITLE!

over 3 years

Luna's Bag

PROMPT: Inventory

Lovely piece, really. I feel like I really got to know Luna through her backpack. :)

over 3 years