Kat Sparks

An almost-adult from snow and sun country. Doesn't feel like growing up anytime soon or staying the same age forever, though.

Insanity is just another word for 'eccentric genius'. A saying that I live by which lets me write as much in whatever genre I want however I want to.

Default avatar user icon
Leader

Kat Sparks (United States) earned a badge Leader

Default avatar user icon
1

Kat Sparks (United States) published:

Take a Shot of Sugar

PROMPT: Improbable Flavor

Take a shot. Of anything, really. Soda, alcohol, even water if you have to. Make it fast. Barely breathe. Cough a bit once it all goes down. It has slammed into the back of your throat with the force of a punch to the solar plexus. It burns, but the taste remains. It's sweet. Almost cloying, like a cake going bad on the kitchen counter. It just sat there in the sun too long. It smells bad, tastes good, get...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
Prolific

Kat Sparks (United States) earned a badge Prolific

Default avatar user icon

Kat Sparks (United States) published:

She Is Made of Facets

PROMPT: That Sort of Person

Alice is the type of girl who, when you ask her for five pounds, will look at you until you feel uncomfortable and leave. But when you look in your back pocket five minutes later, there will be a twenty pound note there and a small smirk on her.
She is the type of girl who will roll her eyes but still respond when you call her by a nickname she isn't fond of.
She is the type of girl...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Kat Sparks (United States) published:

Five Beginnings

PROMPT: Five Beginnings

PLANT A QUESTION: He didn't know how, where, or when he was, but he did know that cannibals were annoying to deal with. Especially eccentric ones.

CHARACTER: Alice had odd eyes. Not in the sense of that, if you looked into her eyes, you'd feel weird. In fact, if you could look into her eyes, you'd find that they were actually quite friendly. Instead, her eyes were just odd. The right was a bright, almost unnatural green. The other was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Kat Sparks (United States) published:

I Wish

PROMPT: Six-Word Story

We thought it was a game.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
Reviewer

Kat Sparks (United States) earned a badge Reviewer

Default avatar user icon

Kat Sparks (United States) reviewed:

Road Trip (With No GPS and Two Dead Gods)

PROMPT: Poetry

Some of your line breaks didn't make a lot of sense to me but that could have just been my different style of writing talking. Other than that, I absolutely love this poem. Very good job.

Default avatar user icon
1

Kat Sparks (United States) published:

Locks

She sprawled there, still and quiet, save for her deep breathing from the cigarette in her hand. In, two, three; out, two, one. Her legs were stretched out to the world but her chest was shielded by her arms, hands holding tight to their opposite elbow. Her hair, as bright and yet dark in its fire shade with the ashes mixed in, was loose and lank. Not in the best condition ever. Just like the rest of her. Just like her surroundings, as well. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Kat Sparks (United States) published:

But Where's That End Up?

PROMPT: Borrowing Voice

"So now where to?"
"Back into the bigger story of the world. Going there, I suppose, would be fun."
"But where's that end up?"
"Who knows? Not I."
Angeline sat up to look at Joanna. She looked and stared and watched her best friend since birth and, if she turned her head the right way and squinted her eyes to block out everything else enough, she could see right through her, through to the dark green grass and the daisies...

Improbable Flavor

Take a Shot of Sugar

Take a shot. Of anything, really. Soda, alcohol, even water if you have to. Make it fast. Barely breathe. Cough a bit once it all goes down. It has slammed into the back of your throat with the force of a punch to the solar plexus. It burns, but the taste remains. It's sweet. Almost cloying, like a cake going bad on the kitchen counter. It just sat there in the sun too long. It smells bad, tastes good, get rid of it. Not like that burn, which fades slower than the bell rings in school, ending it. Ending it all. After all, it all ends afterwards, right? But until it ends, you taste bad sugar and fire in your throat.
That's surprise. 

That Sort of Person

She Is Made of Facets

She is the type of girl who will hug a puppy until it's whining and snarl at you when you laugh at her.

Sora is that girl who snickers when you fail a test but gives you her notes when you retake it.
She is that girl who would practically throw herself off of the roof to grab the hand of someone who just jumped off. Then she will haul them up while giving them a whole diatribe on how stupid they are. 
She is that...

Five Beginnings

Five Beginnings

CHARACTER: Alice had odd eyes. Not in the sense of that, if you looked into her eyes, you'd feel weird. In fact, if you could look into her eyes, you'd find that they were actually quite friendly. Instead, her eyes were just odd. The right was a bright, almost unnatural green. The other was completely and utterly pitch black. No white in sight.

WEATHER: Rain doesn't always wash away the tears and past. Sometimes it washes the present, future, and happiness with it since it's in the way. It splatters on everything so hard that everything it hits is destroyed and remade in the instant it is destroyed. This is that type of rain. And it sucks to be stuck in it.

OMINOUS: "I can't tell you," the young- no,old; no, young again- girl...

Six-Word Story

I Wish

We thought it was a game.

Open Prompt

Locks

She sprawled there, still and quiet, save for her deep breathing from the cigarette in her hand. In, two, three; out, two, one. Her legs were stretched out to the world but her chest was shielded by her arms, hands holding tight to their opposite elbow. Her hair, as bright and yet dark in its fire shade with the ashes mixed in, was loose and lank. Not in the best condition ever. Just like the rest of her. Just like her surroundings, as well.
The broken-up, age old stairs she had plopped herself on were crumbling, so worn down by the elements they were. The iron handrails, spiralling, twisting, curling, reached above her head on either side, just like trees would. You know, if there were trees of the right size anywhere in Brooklyn at this time. This industrial area, once a pretty place. Now replaced.
A pretty prison, then, as her world crumbled below her. After all, doesn't everyone deserve a little hospitality, a...

Borrowing Voice

But Where's That End Up?

"So now where to?"
"But where's that end up?"
"Who knows? Not I."
Angeline sat up to look at Joanna. She looked and stared and watched her best friend since birth and, if she turned her head the right way and squinted her eyes to block out everything else enough, she could see right through her, through to the dark green grass and the daisies they had both heartlessly crushed by treading on their land. And if she looked harder, in the right rays of the sun shining down on them, she thought she could see her friend's innermost workings. Only for a second, though. Only a second.
"But what if you end up there and don't like it?"
"Then I suppose I'll just have to deal then, shan't I?" Joanna lifted a hand, tracing the infinite possibilites she saw in each subsection of a...

YOU in threes

A Picture

Three flaws:
1. My impatience (because, no, that is not fast enough, now hurry up so I can get on with my life, please and thank you)
2. My tendency not to give a lot of support to my own ideas but instead, to others (because my idea was probably not the best option anyways, oh well)
3.  My cross between procrastination and perfection (because that is a horrific, nightmarish combination if nothing else)

Three quirks
1. I hate showing my teeth. At any time. Whether I'm smiling or eating, there will be no hint of my canines, let alone a glimpse of my molars.
2. When I am thinking of a specific character in a story that I like, I will subconsciously act like I think that they would. You know, Rose would smirk at this line in the book, Alice would rub her temples if someone said that; things like that.
3. I will eat lettuce in a salad but nowhere...

Fantasy Writing Competition 2015

Savior

A girl was crouched down on a small walkway in the city of Bath, United Kingdom, trying to breathe. Her eyes were shut tight and her red hair hung in lank strands around her face as she tried to regain her composure. She had not expected such a strong, cloying feeling of dark, violent death that the streets of this seemingly abandoned city held in itself. The sheer amount of it had nearly bowled her over when she tried to connect herself with the natural ley line going through the city.

Blood had caked these streets time and time again. It had started back before there was even a city of Bath, only the bathhouse of Aquae Sulis. Whether by battle, by quarrel, even by accident, blood was shed and steeped into the uneven cobblestones beneath her feet. With all that blood, it was the perfect place for something unnatural to come out.

Something unnatural, supernatural even. Something not of this world but that wants this world...

Recharge

She sat up and got out of bed in her apartment. She was tired. She had a headache. She conjectured: perhaps she should not have stayed awake through the night in order to complete her paper. She slowly walked out, mind not completely functional and in a daze.

The city in which she lived was too loud. Her head pounded as cars drove past (over the speed limit of 45), trains rushed by on the track (no doubt filled with commuters late for their 7 o'clock shift), and tall, tall buildings which blocked out the sun (query: what is the sun? What did it look like? Where was it? Summary: everything about a sun is unknown.) People walked by; some in a rush (still late for that early morning shift), others lackadaisical in their pace (it was the weekend; school was out though work was still on).

Finally, through no conscious fault of her own, she ended up in the...

Inventory

Alice's Infinite (Not Really) Bag

Alisande Baker, 14, London, England

Inside of her worn, brown fake-leather messenger bag adorned with patches and keychains and evidence of her horrific sewing skills are...

An old umbrella from when she was five, black and designed to look like a cat, complete with ears, that she couldn't bear to throw in the trash, even after it decided to turn itself inside out as opposed to blocking rain a large part of the time.

A sewing tin full of biscuits: Tim Tams, Oreos, sugar, any and every type that she can fit into the tiny thing engraved with butterflies and flowers all over that her brother gave to her from his mother's collection.

An assorted set of school chalk, in case of emergencies. (Can't leave home without it; not after last time with the mad sorceror in search of blood and- you know, it's best to sum that situation up as one that demonstrates the importance of the saying "better safe than sorry".)...

Truths and Untruths

State of the Nation, Esmerelda Style

Mind you, it' more likely that I'll be dead tomorrow than any of these come true. Not an exaggeration. But nonetheless, a girl can dream, can't she?

It doesn't hurt that all my wishes come true. Even if that does have some very, very mean backlash that I don't want. Like, maybe, the Apocalypse if I make a wrongly-worded wish? Yeah, no.

...You know what, how about I just not wish? I'll just hope. Hoping is good.

1. It'd really be nicer for everyone if the world was actually fair.

2. Everything would stop trying to kill me.

3. Especially if the things that they were trying to kill me for weren't my fault.

4. Because, I mean, it's not like I want to be the one to bring about the apocalypse.

5. Let alone by accident.

6. Heck, is it too much to ask for that there is no end of the world while I'm around?

7. Friends, albeit being a very cliche wi-hope, hope...

Borrowing Voice

But Where's That End Up?

"So now where to?"

"But where's that end up?"

"Who knows? Not I."

Angeline sat up to look at Joanna. She looked and stared and watched her best friend since birth and, if she turnd her head the right way and squinted her eyes to block out everything else enough, she could see right through her, throughto the dark green grass and the daisies they had both heartlessly crushed by treading on their land. And if she looked harder, in the right rays of the sun shining down on them, she thought she could see her friend's innermost workings. Only for a second, though. Only a second.

"Then I suppose I'll just have to deal then, shan't I?" Joanna lifted a hand, tracing the infinite possibilites she saw in each subsection of a cloud...

No Likes Yet

Kat Sparks doesn't have any likes yet.

3 Likes from Others

Cloud of Tears

Liked by 1 person

Cloud of Tears

Liked by 2 people

But Where's That End Up?

Liked by 1 person

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned about 3 years ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 7 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned about 3 years ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned over 2 years ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned over 2 years ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned almost 3 years ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Favoriter inactive

Get favoriting - read and favorite over ten pieces published by others to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Good neighbor inactive

Be a good neighbor - add a profile image and write a short biography.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.