Profile picture

Veronica Darnell

Book lover.
Beginner writer.
Coffee drinker.
Sock collector.

Profile picture
2

Veronica Darnell (United States) published:

Boredom's Benefit

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition

I was desperate.
Desperately bored, that is. The bus ride was long and my seat hard.
Beside me there was a boy with a book. Books- not my thing, so I'd be lying if I said that’s what caught my attention. 
His eyes were focused and his chest barely moved as he breathed. My gaze fell to his hands as he turned the page. His eyes flicked towards me. I was about to turn away when, almost imperceptibly, he leaned...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Profile picture

Elle & Emerald

PROMPT: Writing for Children Competition

My name is Elle and this is Emerald. She’s my brain, the voice in my head who dreams and comes up with the most amazing plans.
(picture of two girls who look the same, but Emeralds whole body has a purple tint while Elle's has a pink tint)

Like one time Emerald had the idea to build a giant fort in the living room.
(picture of a grand blanket fort that looks like its from a fairytale)

...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Profile picture

The Truth of a Secret

PROMPT: Mystery Writing Competition

First of all, this isn’t a mystery, at least for me. I am completely aware of what’s going on. My brother is missing and officially, so is my best friend.  But I’m getting ahead of myself, because, to you, this is a mystery.
mystery1
[mis-tuh-ree, -tree] 
noun, plural mysteries.
1. anything that is kept secret or remains unexplained or unknown.

There have been a few unknown things and secrets in my life, sometimes even unknown secrets, but I can’t be mad about that now. Sure, my brother...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Profile picture
Leader

Veronica Darnell (United States) earned a badge Leader

Profile picture
18336600 1309604719123674 171681946 n

Veronica Darnell (United States) started following Prov31type (United States)

Profile picture
Leader

Profile picture
Favoriter

Veronica Darnell (United States) earned a badge Favoriter

Profile picture

Veronica Darnell (United States) liked 268 Miles by Ellen W (United Kingdom)

Profile picture
Jessie wu 2

Veronica Darnell (United States) started following Jessie Wu (New Zealand)

Profile picture
3
1

It's a Mystery

PROMPT: TV Pilot Competition

FADE IN:

EXTERIOR- BAYBROOKE NEIGHBORHOOD –MORNING

CARAMEL(13), a petite girl, runs out her front door and across the street to the house opposite of hers.

ANGLE ON: Moving van in driveway.

Caramel continues to the backyard and sticks her head through an open window and addresses a boy unpacking boxes in the kitchen.

CARAMEL                      
                                                   ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Flash Fiction Competition

Boredom's Benefit

I was desperate.
His eyes were focused and his chest barely moved as he breathed. My gaze fell to his hands as he turned the page. His eyes flicked towards me. I was about to turn away when, almost imperceptibly, he leaned the book towards me. My eyes fell to the words.
 In this moment, I found my two new loves. 

Writing for Children Competition

Elle & Emerald

So I gathered all the pillows and blankets in our house. Stacking them up, I tried to build it just as Emerald had pictured. It wasn’t the same though.
(series of pictures of Elle building the fort and the final product being not quite as grand as Emerald’s idea)

After building the fort, Emerald thought I should make a cake. It was going to be a triple-layer, double-chocolate cake with purple icing.
(picture of an extravagant cake taller than...

Mystery Writing Competition

The Truth of a Secret

mystery1
[mis-tuh-ree, -tree] 
noun, plural mysteries.

There have been a few unknown things and secrets in my life, sometimes even unknown secrets, but I can’t be mad about that now. Sure, my brother Teddy, kept things from me. He deceived me who knows how many times. But a secret isn’t knowing the lie, it’s knowing the truth.
    So here’s a truth for you; I’m pretty sure the reason the two most important people in my life are missing --is because of me.

The Unknown Thing
    They found the bike in a ditch by the road, its acid green color familiar in so many horrid ways. The rain poured down around the car...

TV Pilot Competition

It's a Mystery

FADE IN:

ANGLE ON: Moving van in driveway.

CARAMEL                      
                                                                      Can I ask your opinion about something?

HAMLET MATTHEWS (14) jumps at her voice, knocking a box off the counter. Cringing as it crashes, he turns and stares at her mutely.
                                                                                CARAMEL
                                                                      Multiple beloved family pets...

Flash Fiction Competition

*It's a Mystery

SLOW DOWN
            ITS THE LAW

“Huh, another one.” Hamlet Matthews peered over his glasses, hands in his pockets.
            Caramel Lakes frowned at the road sign.
            “I know you disagree.” She scoffed, “But that’s vandalism.”
            Painted on in bright blue, an apostrophe was added to the sign. It was the second time someone defaced city property!
             “I want to solve who’s doing this.” Caramel said, her detective-wannabe mode kicking in.
            Mocking, Hamlet raised an eyebrow, “The case of the English teacher vigilante?”
            Caramel prepared to snipe back, but stopped when he adjusted his glasses. His fingers were blue.
            “Ham!” 

Countdown

The Fall of the Flower

"I'm too a flower!" said the ardently yellow topped plant. But he knew he wasn't, at least, not anymore. In the past, his wishful whitening was revered. But because of his arrogance, his pride. The thistle cursed him for it. Now he grew in overabundance. Not special, not rare. Labeled a weed. The dandelion. Shunned. 

Open Prompt

The Ballad of He Who Didn't Come Back

There once was an astronaut with a wife,
Whom he thought he adored more than gold.
Before he went to bed every night,
He would say a phrase quite old:

“I love you to the moon and back, and back.
I love you to the moon and back.”

One day he was sent on a mission.
Far to the stars up above,
With a kiss on a cheek he said, “Listen,
I will be home soon enough.”

I love you to the moon and back.”

While on his cosmic travels
He met an alien being,
Who brought him to a space castle,
And said it was his, all he was seeing.

Not able to resist the splendor,
He spent years as their martian king.
Until one day he remembered her,
And he jumped in his ship and started to sing:

“I love you to...

Letter Writing Competition

The Correspondence Between Two Christmas Decorations

Dear Ordinary Ornament,
    How have you been? I thought it such a tragedy, us being put away on opposite sides of the attic all year long. Since seeing you last Christmas, I have inhabited a box with the Wreaths, very lovely family all-round, if you can get used to their circular reasoning.
     It’s hard being apart from you, we were always considered two peas in a pod, for what are Holiday Lights without Christmas Ornaments.
    With the holiday season beginning, I wanted to wish you and your bretheren ease in your travels as you adorn the evergreen tree in joyous decoration. I have already made the journey down the stairs, so that up in the tree branches, I can be that magnificent iridescent glow that brings such happiness.
    But the humans are complaining right now since my strand won’t light up. In order for it to work, they just need to tighten one of the light bulbs, it is the...

Letter Writing Competition

Dear Ordinary Ornament,

Veronica Darnell's 3 Likes

268 Miles by Ellen W

Published 8 months ago

Loving the Protagonist by elainehoang

Published about 1 year ago

Let's talk by Angela Soria

Published about 1 year ago

6 Likes from Others

Boredom's Benefit

Liked by 2 people

It's a Mystery

Liked by 3 people

*It's a Mystery

Liked by 3 people

The Fall of the Flower

Liked by 1 person

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned about 1 year ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned about 1 year ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 5 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned about 1 year ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned 8 months ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned about 1 year ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Reviewer inactive

Just write and submit a review to become a reviewer. Get to it!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.