Img 0017

Verity Fynn

Hey, hey, hey! I'm a sixteen-year-old girl with a passion for reading and writing. Aside from that, I enjoy correcting people, chocolate, and traveling.
Shalom!
Verity

"Stars cannot shine without the darkness..."
~Anonymous

Img 0017

Verity Fynn (United States) published:

Mistique

PROMPT: Fantasy Writing Competition

The ocean swelled angrily around our boat, and all around me I could hear cries of fear from the women, panic from the children, and desperation from the men. Everyone on deck was soaked to the skin from the rain and the waves. Thunder crashed and lightening lit up the brooding sky, and above it all I heard a shrill scream and a distant splash. Shouts of, "Man overboard!" and "Rope! Get a rope!" were roared over the sounds of the fierce...

Img 0017
Ted's oak tree

Verity Fynn (United States) started following Hanan Adi (United Arab Emirates)

Img 0017
Patron

Verity Fynn (United States) earned a badge Patron

Img 0017
Default avatar user icon

Verity Fynn (United States) started following Zack Rocklin-Waltch (United States)

Img 0017
Wings

Verity Fynn (United States) started following Sarah Grimson (Australia)

Img 0017
Default avatar user icon

Verity Fynn (United States) started following AngieCake (United States)

Img 0017
Default avatar user icon

Verity Fynn (United States) started following -annie rooks (United States)

Img 0017

Verity Fynn (United States) published:

Me in Threes

PROMPT: YOU in threes

Three quirks or idiosyncrasies:

• When I'm nervous I finger flute music/songs on my pencils and pens.
  • I'm really clumsy - I fall up the stairs several times a day.
  • I stick my tongue out whenever I do something that requires concentration.
Three things about me that few people know:
  • I want to go into the publishing industry.
  • I plan to travel the world.
  • I wish I wasn't the oldest child in my family.
Three qualities that make my life unusual:
  • I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 0017
Picture?width=64&height=64

Verity Fynn (United States) started following 19edgarmayaallenangeloupoe98 (United States)

Img 0017
11265106 910295352356656 7944241936944143166 n

Verity Fynn (United States) started following Mallorie Cheves (United States)

Fantasy Writing Competition

Mistique

The ocean swelled angrily around our boat, and all around me I could hear cries of fear from the women, panic from the children, and desperation from the men. Everyone on deck was soaked to the skin from the rain and the waves. Thunder crashed and lightening lit up the brooding sky, and above it all I heard a shrill scream and a distant splash. Shouts of, "Man overboard!" and "Rope! Get a rope!" were roared over the sounds of the fierce storm. Soon a man was hauled back onto the ship, washed out and limp like a drowned rat. He spluttered and coughed out seawater, and soon was back to work, trying to tie down the sails. I hardened my resolve and started after him, determined to help.
One of the deckhands waved his arms, shouting, "All women and children go below decks!" There was suddenly a stampede heading for the stairs. I fought to stay above, but Mrs. Fallop, my...

YOU in threes

Me in Threes

Three quirks or idiosyncrasies:

• I plan to travel the world.
  • I have a blood disorder so almost every day I need to go to the nurse for an ice pack.
  • I love eating plain peanut butter!
  • I have a lot of friends who are homeschooled.
Three pet peeves:
  • When people use incorrect grammar.
  • When people give me nicknames.
  • When I don't know an answer.

The Limerick

Emma and the Umbrella

There once was a girlie named Emma
Who found herself in a dilemma
It started to rain
And she searched in vain
She could not obtain an umbrella!

Six-Word Story

An Ad in the Paper

Wanted: Coffin, Headstone, and Grave Diggers.

A piece of good news.

Miracle

I want you to put your hand over your heart. Feel the life-giving beat that pulses within you. Now I want you to remember how every single person on this earth has that same life-giving beat inside of them. Isn't that miraculous?

I am going to be honest with you, reader. I am not very good at writing about abstract things like hope or peace or beauty. I think that is a task best left to greater minds than mine. However, I have one tiny sliver of a thought that I could contribute to the wonderful and mysterious world of abstract writing, and it is this: you are a miracle. You are important. You are essential. You are loveable. There is Someone out there in the universe that has deemed you so absolutely necessary to the people and things on this earth that They give you every breath that you breathe.

Now, however short that paragraph may be, I feel...

A piece of good news.

Miracle

I want you to put your hand over your heart. Feel the life-giving beat that pulses within you. Now I want you to remember how every single person on this earth has that same life-giving beat inside of them. Isn't it miraculous?

I am going to be honest with you, reader. I am not very good at writing about abstract things like hope or peace or beauty. I think that is a task best left to greater minds than mine. However, I have one tiny piece of a thought that I could contribute to the wonderful and mysterious world of abstract writing, and it is this: you are a miracle. You are important. You are essential. You are loveable. There is Someone out there in the universe that has deemed you so absolutely necessary to the people and things on this earth that They give you every breath that you breathe.

Five Beginnings

Five Beginninnings!

1. Agnes had never felt this sick in her entire seventeen years, not even when she caught the flu in seventh grade. As she coughed up her breakfast into the toilet, she rubbed her slightly bulging belly. She was starting to show.

2. The pamphlet displayed happy teens lounging about around a stately mansion. What I saw was a decrepit old place with overgrown weeds and not a person in sight.

3. The old holy man clutched the worn wooden prayer beads, willing the horrible vision to leave him.

4. She always laughed at funerals. Something about the solemn black garb and the dreary mood always tickled her, and her father's funeral was no exception.

5. It looked less than perfect, but the boat was solid and finally finished. It would be able to withstand the harsh storms of the high seas... or at least that was John's hope.

Fernweh

Noheract

Noheract (verb) ~ To aviod thinking about an undesirable or difficult topic by engaging in some form of exhausting, grueling, or painful activity.

Origin: This word comes from the Spanish ejercicio, exercise, and the Latin actio, activity.

Usage: After a long day in court, the judge will often noheract at the gym, putting off the difficult decision that must be made the next day.

Invisible Cities

Nordel

You can only see this city when the asphalt is wet from rain. Look down, down, down, further than where your feet stand, and you will see Nordel, our distorted mirror-city. The people are your disfigured shadows, copying your every move. Everyone seems to mock us there, doing what we do, but looking stranger, sillier, somehow. There are houses and shops and other buildings here, of course, but they seem to be malformed, and stretch deep into the center of the earth. There is no freedom here, for people are bound to their doppelgangers above. Nordel dissappears as the asphalt dries, for where the is no one to see there is nothing to be seen.

Fantasy Writing Competition

Mistique

One of the deckhands waved his arms, shouting, "All women and children go below decks!" There was suddenly a stampeed heading for the stairs. I fought to stay above, but Mrs. Fallop, my...

Polar Opposite:

I Never Made It to the Interview

There are no empty seats on the subway, so I am forced to stand.  With a Starbucks coffee in one hand and my resume in the other, I run through the questions I might be fielding during this interview. My name is Guadalupe Perez. I am tewnty-six years old. I'm the perfect fit for this job because I have great people skills, I am very articulate, and I truly show that I care. I'm certain that I'll clinch this job as a social worker. Anybody who witnesses my daily interactions with others can see that I'm a natural. The subway jerks to an abrupt stop, and I am forced to drop my resume to grab hold of the metal bar above my head.  

The paper flutters into the lap of a handsome man in his late thirties. He glances up at me with calculating grey eyes, wondering if I dropped the paper on purpose to get his attention. His biceps flex...

Subtotals

Glorious Subtotals

Number of times I laugh in a day: 5,832. Number of times people laugh at my laugh: 3,691. Number of times I guess at something, anything: 268. Number of times I bite back sarcasm: 0. Number of times I regret what I've said: 37. Number of times I sustained a freak injury: 69. Number of times I've cried in public: 3. Number of times I could have justified doing so: 596. Number of countries I've visited: 0. Number of countries I WISH I've visited: 192. Number of F's in math: 2. Number of ER visits: 1. Number of times I've exaggerated in this piece: 13.

Invisible Cities

Nordel

You can only see this city when the asphalt is wet from rain. Only then do you realize that Nordel, the city underneath our feet, is our distorted mirror. The people are your disfigured shadows, copying your every move. Everyone seems to mock us there, doing what we do, but looking weirder, sillier, somehow. Houses and streetlights stretch far, far up (or down, for us) deep into the center of the earth.  In Nordel, the streets are always wet, and the inhabitants watch our every move.  There is no freedom here, for people are bound to their doppelgangers above.

Polar Opposite:

I Never Made It to the Interview

There are no empty seats on the subway, so I am forced to stand.  With a Starbucks coffee in one hand and my resume in the other, I run through potential questions I might be fielding during this interview. My name is Guadalupe Perez. I am tewnty-six years old. I'm the perfect fit for this job because I have great people skills, I am very articulate, and I truly show that I care. I'm certain that I'll clinch this job as a social worker. Anybody with eyes can see I'm practically made for it. The subway jerks to an abrupt stop, and I am forced to drop my resume to grab hold of the metal bar above my head.  The paper flutters into the lap of a handsome man in his late thirties. His biceps flex as he reaches up to give it back to me, giving me a seductive smile.  I smile back and make sure to smoothly unbutton the top...

Verity Fynn's 10 Likes

America's Technical Difficulties by Mallorie Cheves

Published about 2 years ago

I'm At My... by fevek12

Published over 2 years ago

Homosapiens by fevek12

Published about 2 years ago

An Overdose of Magic by Zoe G.

Published over 2 years ago

My Hope by Ethan Wasiejko

Published about 2 years ago

An Ode to the Lonely by Grace Mary Potts

Published almost 3 years ago

The Package by Jude

Published about 2 years ago

The Enigma by Ella

Published over 2 years ago

Snow White and the Seven Cannibals by fevek12

Published over 2 years ago

Free by Ella

Published over 2 years ago

3 Likes from Others

Emma and the Umbrella

Liked by 1 person

Miracle

Liked by 3 people

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned about 2 years ago

Pro reviewer

You've now submitted over five reviews!

Earned about 2 years ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned over 2 years ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned about 2 years ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned about 2 years ago

Admirer

You've followed over twenty other writers!

Earned about 2 years ago

Patron

You're following over thirty other writers!

Earned about 2 years ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned about 2 years ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 2 years ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned about 2 years ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned over 2 years ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned about 2 years ago

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.