Picture?width=128&height=128

BrookeG23

Picture?width=64&height=64

BrookeG23 (United States) published:

Wildlife

PROMPT: Collective Voice

We love those who hear, those who listen to the resounding crashes on the shore or endless rustle of leaves. We treasure those who walk and talk for hours, just to be heard and hear.  We never want to stop for our quest has always been - never started and never will end.  We exist to be.  We are the crashing winds and rushing leaves scattered through towns who seem to have abandoned nature.  We are those tiny wonders that push our...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64
1

BrookeG23 (United States) published:

Why, oh why, oh why?

PROMPT: Beyond Reason

Why does the dew sprinkle us every morning and each droplet imitates a jewel, yet those pearly diamonds are rarely noticed?
How do our hearts built up a wall and beyond that, a moat is?

Why are we entranced by our thin pixelated screens when a world of discovery is waiting if we simply tear our eyes away?
How do we manage to find more tasks to do when mountains and birds and people beyond lay?

Where does the wind...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64

BrookeG23 (United States) liked Mouse by Life's Been Good (United States)

Picture?width=64&height=64
1
1

BrookeG23 (United States) published:

10 Opinions

PROMPT: Your View

1. There needs to be more light shed on human trafficking!!

2. Abortion is not valuing true people or their mother's best interest

3. God is very real and He loves you!

4.  Fair trade should be the norm

5.  We should not judge, but love one another with compassion (and with love, recognize each other's faults)

6.  There is much more to health than meets the eye

7. Different races are beautiful together - we should not have prejudice,...

Picture?width=64&height=64

BrookeG23 (United States) published:

WILDFlowers

PROMPT: WILD

Wildflowers.
Why are they called wild?
They brave stinky feet and hairy toes.
Shoes that have been on airport floors.
They crumple after a season, but still go on believing.
Lawnmowers, young children crush their tender stems.
But they continue to remind us of happiness within.
Some of the pink, green orange or blue,
They celebrate no matter the hue.
Painted with flare by God with us here,
Their tiny designs show off his beauty.
Proudly displaying their ruffles and...

Picture?width=64&height=64

BrookeG23 (United States) liked A Belief So Deep by Rachel the Author (United States)

Picture?width=64&height=64
Prolific

BrookeG23 (United States) earned a badge Prolific

Picture?width=64&height=64
1

BrookeG23 (United States) published:

Snapshot of Time

PROMPT: Becoming Human

Glossed over 4x4
Purple pastel pixels etched onto the photo
Frozen in time forevermore
Hanging this photo at a booth
hoping it would capture one's eye
Like it was created to do
Sent home in a frame and a mat
Proected from any scratch
"What a lovely photo"
People say
I don't mind, anyways
I exsist as a copy of life
All I do is stay on the wall
But memories can still come through me 
From when you were...

Picture?width=64&height=64

BrookeG23 (United States) liked The Dance of the Jellyfish by khwritesstuff (United States)

Picture?width=64&height=64

BrookeG23 (United States) published:

Tentacle Reflection

PROMPT: 1 Photo, 100 Words

Bustling crowds, kids getting lost, selfies all around, children crying for treats to feed the boxed up animals and somehow… your eye catches serene, seemingly helpless floating blobs of jelly.  They pull your mind by not pulling it in every direction, like everything and everyone else around you.  Hypnotised, you stare at those flimsy but oh-so-painful tentacles.  In the next tank there are fish with multicolored patterns of jagged teeth on the scales, and you laugh and shake your head...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Collective Voice

Wildlife

We love those who hear, those who listen to the resounding crashes on the shore or endless rustle of leaves. We treasure those who walk and talk for hours, just to be heard and hear.  We never want to stop for our quest has always been - never started and never will end.  We exist to be.  We are the crashing winds and rushing leaves scattered through towns who seem to have abandoned nature.  We are those tiny wonders that push our color through the cracks in the cement.  We make those cracks.  Life can never be stopped, not ever as a whole.  So we press on, not braving the winds and waves, for we are the winds and waves, but braving those who fear us.  We are the cycle of life, animals and plants and elements sharing one big mess of living.  From the atoms we are made of, constantly buzzing with energy, to the white that towers high above, dripping...

Beyond Reason

Why, oh why, oh why?

Where does the wind blow from?
What do east and west mean, if the world is round?

How does each leaf on a tree become a masterpiece of hues, the watercolor dripping down on the page that is the leaf?
Why do we still doubt in God, yet all nature's wonder is asking us for our belief?

Your View

10 Opinions

3. God is very real and He loves you!

4.  Fair trade should be the norm

7. Different races are beautiful together - we should not have prejudice, but also not be "colorblind."

8.  Being outside is super important to our well-being!

9.  Words have power!

10.  Rest and Quiet is just as important as Learning and Play.  (Just as you need play to learn)

WILD

WILDFlowers

Wildflowers.
Why are they called wild?
They brave stinky feet and hairy toes.
Shoes that have been on airport floors.
Some of the pink, green orange or blue,
They celebrate no matter the hue.
Painted with flare by God with us here,
Their tiny designs show off his beauty.
Proudly displaying their ruffles and quirks,
They are wildlife's pretty perks.

Becoming Human

Snapshot of Time

Glossed over 4x4
Frozen in time forevermore
Hanging this photo at a booth
hoping it would capture one's eye
Like it was created to do
Sent home in a frame and a mat
Proected from any scratch
"What a lovely photo"
People say
I don't mind, anyways
I exsist as a copy of life
All I do is stay on the wall
But memories can still come through me 
From when you were small
There are other photos in this house
But this one is special because it's the only frame that depicts
YOU

1 Photo, 100 Words

Tentacle Reflection

Bustling crowds, kids getting lost, selfies all around, children crying for treats to feed the boxed up animals and somehow… your eye catches serene, seemingly helpless floating blobs of jelly.  They pull your mind by not pulling it in every direction, like everything and everyone else around you.  Hypnotised, you stare at those flimsy but oh-so-painful tentacles.  In the next tank there are fish with multicolored patterns of jagged teeth on the scales, and you laugh and shake your head - they think they are all that.  With a start, you realize those fake-teeth fish are a clear reflection of you.

Names, Names, Names

Names, Names, Names

A breakfast joint - Kipper's Kitchen (more commonly called Kip's)

A new smartphone - Loko

An eyeglasses store - SeeKquik

A dog pound - DogHouse 

A highway - White Glass Lane

An island resort - Sunny Days

A new constellation - Lone Wolf

A pet polar bear - Blubster

A nail polish color - Soft Sunshine

A new butterfly species - Red Tip

10 Words

10 Words of December

Cold
Cozy
Jesus
Lights
Giving
Family
Skating
Christmas
Christmas Tree

The Peace of Wild Things

The Energy of Life

Foamy mossy dirt seeps pure energy into my body.
The energy is strong, but calm, and it overtakes me.
The water that used to flow in the creek bed has been abandoned and made it fertile, now full with moss and plants.
Sometimes the green, flat slivers of papery life that are leaves brush against me.
I know thousands of creatures are all around me, I just can't see them.
It reminds me of God's presence.
A deer might be close by, along with beetles - too many to count.
Innumerable variations of the color green produce an earthy rainbow; full of colors yet only containing one.
I feel closer to the creator being in his creation.
The silent throb of life is infused into the air around me.

Objection!

My View on Human Life

"This is a choice.  It is not a mandate." - Hillary Clinton, on abortion

Abortion.  This one topic, one word can divide, created heated and vicious arguments, and bring great discord - even among the closest friends.  Many people, like Hillary has asserted in the quote above, claim abortion is an individual's choice.  I (a female, who is fully aware of the pain and sacrifice that comes along with pregnancy) would like to stand up for the unborn in this argument.  

First, we need to define what a fetus is.  The dictionary states, " an unborn offspring of a mammal..."  Notice the main idea is the offspring - the child, the baby.  "Unborn", though an important adjective, is still an adjective.  The placement of the life - whether it is in the womb or outside the womb does not define what the child is, or what anything is.  When one drives a car, one is in the car, one is touching the...

Unnamed

Color of Mystery

Deep, rich swirls in the ocean
Disguising itself sometimes as black
But in the shallows staying true to its original sky color
Peaceful, sad, powerful and alive
Playful, in intermingling with white fluff in the heavens
Tragic, tears bottled up in a translucent jar
Strong, the warning of a flood
A mysterious, full color... 

You'll have to guess.

Walking

Crayons and Observations

She shifted her gaze towards the window, away from the stubs of color that were crayons.  A woman brushed down the road.  In reality, the lady was actually a young adult - only in her teenage years, but the confident way Tasha carried herself and the youth of the child watching gave her the label of a fully developed lady.  TShe had a slight smile, every so often showing appreciation of the beauty around her by smiling towards the trees, sky, or fellow pedestrians, most of whose eyes were fastened to their handheld screens.  But she did not mind those who ignored her and she did not succumb to the unnatural attachment of electronic devices either.  A squirrel ran in front of her shoes, as the observing child noticed with a start the color of Tasha's boots.  Yellow!  That's my favorite color!  The lady continued on, nearing towards her house.  Her skirt swayed and joy seemed to scatter...

Walking

Crayons and Observations

She shifted her gaze towards the window, away from the stubs of color that were crayons.  A woman brushed down the road.  She really was a young adult - only in her teenage years, but the confident way she carried herself and the youth of the child watching gave her the label of a fully developed lady.  She had a slight smile, every so often showing appreciation of the beauty around her by smiling towards the trees, sky, or fellow pedestrians, most of whose eyes were fastened to their handheld screens.  But she did not mind those who ignored her and she did not succumb to the unnatural attachment of electronic devices either.  A squirrel ran in front of her shoes, as the observing child noticed with a start the color of her boots.  Yellow!  That's my favorite color!  The lady continued on, nearing towards her house.  Her skirt swayed and joy seemed to scatter where she went,...

Flash Fiction Competition

Fledgling

My mother attempted to prepared us.  She said it will come unexpectedly, like clouds passing over the sun.  I had already molted, but still I could only find small insects. I remember it so clearly: the joy of winning “Early Bird,”...  the alarm soon after, like a writhing cricket in my stomach.  Then came the huge thrashing tunnel, worse than the human’s creations.  Anger knowing any celebration would be impossible partially quenched my fear… I shouldn’t have been so selfish.  
    We were the only fledglings that survived.  Little did I know, this tornado would change everything I had known.

Open Prompt

Painting with a Pen

Chapter 1

I really wanted to paint.  I just longed to paint.  My heart ached for it and I just wanted to grab hold and throw the color around, in my own mind’s canvas of creativity.  But we had no money.  I and my family were poor.  We were the family of the those begging on the roadside.  I didn’t go to school, and I didn’t want to, though I know my Mother said I should.  I knew I would get teased and ridiculed so gratefully she didn’t make me.  Oh, how I longed to paint!  But I wanted to paint with words.  I wanted to capture one of old grandpop’s stories and write it on paper, where others can read and jump into the word painting.  I told Ma, but she laughed tensely and said I would have to go to school for that kind of luxury.  
At least we got to eat that day…  I...

BrookeG23's 6 Likes

Mouse by Life's Been Good

Published about 2 months ago

A Belief So Deep by Rachel the Author

Published 2 months ago

The Dance of the Jellyfish by khwritesstuff

Published 4 months ago

The Beautiful Month of February by Korai

Published 5 months ago

Winter Days for Some by BrokonEuphoria

Published 5 months ago

Of snow and humanity by Kwtruegames

Published 5 months ago

3 Likes from Others

Why, oh why, oh why?

Liked by 1 person

10 Opinions

Liked by 1 person

Snapshot of Time

Liked by 1 person

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 6 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 10 months ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned 3 months ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned 5 months ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned 5 months ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Competitor inactive

It's as easy as entering a competition to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Good neighbor inactive

Be a good neighbor - add a profile image and write a short biography.

Leader inactive

Become a leader of the pack when over five other writers start following you.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.