PokeyTay

"A library is like an island in a vast sea of ignorance, particularly if the library is very tall and the surrounding area has been flooded." --Daniel Handler(?)

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." --Lemony Snicket

*~just a fellow writer screaming into the void~*

Yes, my profile picture changes A LOT. No, I will not apologize for it.

*is socially awkward for five minutes straight*

So, thanks for stopping by my bio. Have a lovely day! <3

From Ashes to Ashes

Before the day my life began

I was nothing

It wasn’t like I didn’t have friends

Or people who cared about me

But it somehow didn’t feel real

Like the world was made of ashes and

Anything I got too close to

Would crumble

And blow away

But then I met you

And you made me feel like maybe

Life was worth living

My crumbled world grew into

Something beautiful

Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes

Old, burnt out husks changing, growing

Into something entirely new

After a while, I forgot

Drenched in serotonin from my new life

Just how fragile my world is

Although everything was beautiful

It was just glass

Thin

Easily breakable

Looking back, I’m still not

Sure what made you leave

Were you bored? Tired?

Or maybe I wasn’t good enough

I guess I’ll never know

But now my world is full of ashes again

Gathered in piles along the ground, and

Raining down on...

Heroes and Harmonies (Part One)

Willow strummed the guitar gently, sliding her fingers along the frets. The sunlight shone into her bedroom from the gaps in her blinds, illuminating her carpeted floor. The chords rang out in the silence, hanging in the air. Her voice accompanied the chords, smooth and lilting. She focused on keeping her tone light, refraining from laying on too much charm. After all, if she did, someone might get suspicious.
It was a silly notion, but Willow knew she couldn’t be too careful. It had only been six months since Alchemist had been outed as a high school chemistry teacher, and there were still crazed fans prowling for more information about heroes.
The last thing she needed was to have any of her fans showing up at her house. As a musician, she put up with enough harassment already. Willow wrapped up the song, hitting the high notes with ease. When she hit the final note, she set the guitar down. ...

Science Fiction Competition 2021

The Star Chasers

The empty void of space always looks beautiful when you’re first waking up. The small, circular window in my room provides a fairly nice view of the planets. Sometimes I forget where I am, and the blackness outside of my window sends me into a panic. This morning is definitely one of those times. 
    My window is facing the sun, so when the gentle rays of light shine into my room, I think for a second that I’m back on Earth. 
    I’m not, of course. 
    I quickly get dressed, putting on a skintight onesie under my clothes. To save energy, regulation insists we keep the thermostat low. 
    I step into the hallway. Mello is sitting at the table, his back to me. He’s typing something on his tablet, but I’m too far away to see it. I creep up behind him before putting my hands on his shoulders. Annoyingly, he doesn’t flinch.
    “Guess who?” I ask, a crooked grin spreading...

Imaginairie Friends

Chapter One
    There are approximately 170,000 words in the English language, yet I don’t know any that can describe nor explain my sudden appearance in Bakersfield, California. 
Somehow, in this impossibility-filled world, I am here. I’m not quite sure of where I was before, but what does that matter? I know that at this moment, I am in a kindergarten classroom, so nothing else could possibly be as important.     Alphabet blocks litter the floor, and children run around the classroom, their faces smudged with markers and glitter and other, unidentifiable substances. Those who don’t run and play are either doing crafts or talking. There is a colorful, rainbow carpet spread out on the floor, and educational posters cover the walls. I resist the unmistakable urge to join any of these children in their carefree ways. I’ve got to go find someone. My whole being is being dragged towards another, even though I’m not sure who they are.
    It sounds crazy. ...

Imaginairie Friends

It sounds crazy.
    It probably...

Science Fiction Competition 2021

The Star Chasers

The empty void of space always looks beautiful when you’re first waking up. The small circular window in my room provides a fairly nice view of the planets. Sometimes I forget where I am, and the blackness outside of my window sends me into a panic. This morning is definitely one of those times. 
    I’m not, of course. 
    I quickly get dressed, putting on the equivalent of a skintight onesie under my clothes. To save energy, regulation insists we keep the thermostat low. 
    “Guess who?” I ask, a...