Image

Ash

Female. Youngest of six. Pretty (?), sarcastic, Tom-boyish, and very much a geek.

I guess I should say honest feedback is best but nothing crazy brutal. That said, please don't go to the other extreme and try to spare my feelings. Be descriptive and truthful because I really want to improve.

Image
1

Ash (United States) published:

<Insert Clever Title Here>

PROMPT: That Sort of Person

She's the girl who'd wear heels so that her accidental mashing of your foot would feel like a dagger piercing your skin.

You know the girl I'm talking about - the kind that would make a nice spunky protagonist if she was hiding a fragile heart instead of a harsher layer of wit and mistrust.

He's the boy that would lie to you even if you called him out.

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

Five Natives of the Other Realm

PROMPT: That Sort of Person

How close am I with my guesses? :)

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

The Giveaway

PROMPT: Six-Word Story

I love your sense of humor.

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

But it Didn't

PROMPT: Six-Word Story

I like the emotions you decided to convey. Rather than blunt sadness, regret, or anger, you establish a blend of emotions. Nice job!

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

he didn't

PROMPT: Six-Word Story

Nice job!

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

Sixteen

PROMPT: Six-Word Story

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

Untitled

PROMPT: Six-Word Story

:)

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

Locks

I really liked this piece. There weren't that many errors, but you need to pay attention to what exactly you're trying to convey to your readers. Your descriptions are beautiful, but be aware that lengthy descriptions can sometimes end up...

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

The Car Ride

Just some minor spelling and grammar errors. Nothing too major. Nice job!

Image

Ash (United States) reviewed:

Publisher's Anxiety

I really love this piece because I'm in the same boat as you. Granted, I've gotten better, but when I stop to think, 'huh, I just published this,' my next thought is immediately, 'oh dear god, what have I done?'...

That Sort of Person

<Insert Clever Title Here>

Words and Thoughts

I don't want anything. I have everything I want

Liar

I'm fine

I'm really not

Don't worry

I'm not okay

Nothing's wrong

Everything is

I really don't mind

I'm dying

What's the matter?

Why do you never ask me those words

You're amazing

But I'm worthless

Huh? Oh, I was just thinking

About whether anyone would notice if I disappeared

I already ate

I'm getting fat

I'm going to my room

I don't want to be alone

I just need a second

More like a millenia

I'm just so excited for you!

Why is it never me

I'm not that great at making friends, but I hope we get along!

I can tell you don't like me

You don't wanna hear about my boring old day - how was your's?

I'm two seconds away from a break down

I couldn't be happier

Sometimes I wish I was dead.

10 Second Essays

Blurb

Life is a story so make it a good one.

Truth can be distorted like facts.

People make mistakes, but that doesn't make them okay.

Loneliness is only temporary.

Polar Opposite:

Elizabeth Ryou

I walk down the hallway with my drawstring tan backpack securely fastened on each shoulder. My skirt bounces up periodically from covering half of the distance between the start of my legs to my knees down to a quarter. I play with the hem of my pink blouse for a minute before I realize what I'm doing and stop. 

Once school is over for the day, I need to go back to the library and return the book on mythology they accidentally gave me. It must have gotten switched with the book on World War I and II battle accounts. My pinkish purple tinted lips curve into a frown: it was rather unfair that I ended up with the less desirable of the two. Nothing to do now but return it and wait for the library to notify me again when the war book came back in.

My black flats click loudly enough on the linoleum titles that I regret...

Fernweh

Arduaesthity

Arduaesthity: confusion in regards to one's own feelings, particularly those relating to another person.

My word was inspired by Latin.

Aesth means "feeling", ardu means "difficult", and it roughly translates to "the state of." Therefore, strictly speaking, arduaesthity can be translated as "having difficult feelings," or feelings you can't quiet describe.

The girl was arduaesthity since she meet him: she couldn't tell whether she despised the man and wanted to slap him or give him a warm smile.

Story of a Scar

The Art of Scarring

"You called." I state as I walk into the dimly lit office, though it looks more like one of those fancy politician's offices rather than the standard cubical. Hard wood flooring, dark brown walls, a solid oak desk with three black leather chairs around it and a tinted glass cabinet behind it which I'm certain contains illegal beverages and substances alike all add to the overwhelming feel of luxury at any price. My boss sits behind the desk, playing with his half full glass of who knows what, swishing the liquid back and forth somewhat idly. 

"You've got a new client. Anonymous," he stated.

I'm not surprised. In my line of work, no one uses their real name, if they even bother to give them. We met in the darkest shadows so we could never be seen, in crowded streets so we could never be heard. The camera never caught a clear picture of us. Yet I could probably find any of my...

New Year Competition

The Trouble With This Year

There was something about this year. What was it? Oh yeah, the universe wanted to kill me. Or just drive me insane. Possibly both.
Oh, right, intros. I'm Trouble, and don't get any ideas: I'm not giving you my birth name. I'm a Federal Alchemist, so as far as the military is concerned, the codename is my real name. Either way, it fits.

"Kid." 

I hold back a sigh. It's the head of the military's blond secretary, Mike. Working directly under literally the most important person ever has a lot of benefits, but dealing with the pretentious jerk had to come close to overriding all of them. It's not like he can tolerate me any more than I tolerate him, so we have an unspoken agreement to try to stay out of each other's way. 

I try to think positive as my gloved hands automatically curl into fists: he didn't start off by calling me Brat, so there's still plenty of time...

Open Prompt

A Troubled Tale

Was this really happening?
      That was all I could think as I walked into Centra, the nation's capital. It was so much smaller than I had expected, but at least ten times more different, too. Cars were used more often here and the roads were paved and well kept to accommodate them. The buildings were all jammed up next to each other. They switched between bright colors and more natural tones, but all of them had at least two floors.
       Alright, I thought to myself, let's go over the checklist: get to Centra....well, I never actually thought I'd get here. I always just figured I'd work it out. Never mind, just think: he's gotta be in HQ, wherever that is, or he'll have to go back there eventually. So, see if I can find the most impressive building in town.
       It takes a while, but soon I find...

New Year Competition

The Trouble With This Year

"Kid." 

I hold back a sigh. It's the head of the military's blond secretary, Mike. Working directly under literally the most important ever has a lot of benefits, so it's only natural that dealing with the pretentious jerk had to come close to outweighing all of them. It's not like he can tolerate me any more than I tolerate him, so we have an unspoken agreement to try to stay out of each other's way. However, that doesn't mean that crossing paths ever leads to anything good.

I try to think positive as my gloved hands automatically curl into fists:...

Unrelated

I'd Be Easy If We Weren't Related

I grab my black raincoat off the coat rack and head outside, slamming the door. I hear my sister yell from the door, "It's not even raining!" God, I hate her. Jane always teases me about everything: my short hair, the way I talk, even the way I dress. I LIKE my raincoat. It's light and unlike those frilly jackets she always wears, it has pockets that can fit more than a penny in them. It makes it easy to take all my important possessions with me: my wallet, phone, keys, and a map. I have my credit card shoved in my wallet and a few twentys jammed in there, too. With the income from my summer job, it'd be enough to get out of town for a few days, that's for sure. New York isn't exactly the cheapest place to live, but I could take a combo of the subway and the train and get rather far. But I...

One Sentence Story

Why I Never Told You

You were angry at me, like you sometimes are, but this time you were screaming through those hot tears, asking me whether I even liked you at all, but you won't let me answer since the sobs seem to be destroying every last breath into gasps and I don't know what to do so I stepped outside for a walk as your sister comes down the stairs and that's when I realize it and I know it's important that I tell you but I'm not sure if you've cooled off yet (you kinda have a temper sometimes) so I just take another stroll around the block when this blue pick-truck rear ends the moving van going down the street and then it's spinning out of control towards the sidewalk-; so I guess I never told you because we're in two different worlds.

Privacy or Security

Loss of Both

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” These words were once said by one of the founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin. Notice his word choice and phrasing; he isn't saying that we can only have one or the other. In ideal circumstances, we can and should have both. Franklin is telling us though that freedom should be the more valued of the two. As an American citizen, you have the natural rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Liberty basically means freedom. Freedom from the intrusion of the government, freedom to have privacy. These rights are known as inalienable, meaning no person can take them away from you. Yet on several occasions, the national government has treaded dangerously close to, if not directly stomped on, the people's freedom for the sake of security. Take the discovery of the government listening to the public's phone calls. It can easily be said that...

Twenty-Six Sentences

Won't you play?

"Hey," Liza pokes her sister Emily, "do you wanna play that alphabet game?" "I don't remember the rules." "Just start a sentence with the next letter in the alphabet, but make sure it makes sense in context. Kevin and me play all the time; you'll love it." "Like I'd enjoy something so kidish." "Maybe you would if you weren't so close-minded about everything," Liza mutters. Not a millisecond passes before the elder glares at her sister. "Oh, like you just know everything, Liz!" "Pfft. Queens like you aught to mind their tongues before their head roll, your majesty." "Rave and rant about whatever flitty thought comes to your head, why don't 'cha? Somebody one of these days needs to knock some sense into your skull." "Too bad for you 'cuz nobody'd wanna wreck a face this beautiful." "Under the right conditions they would. Venerable you may think you are, but open up your mouth and...," Emily grins wickedly. "Would you...

Privacy or Security

Loss of Both

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” These words were once said by one of the founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin. As an American citizen, you have the natural rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Liberty basically means freedom. Freedom from the intrusion of the government, freedom to have privacy. These rights are known as inalienable, meaning no person can take them away from you. Yet on several occasions, the national government has treaded dangerously close to, if not directly stomped on, the people's freedom for the sake of security. Take the discovery of the government listening to the public's phone calls. It can easily be said that it's for their own good. And there is absolutely no doubt that this resource has stopped countless crimes from happening and solved numerous cases. When this information was released, however, there was a huge uproar. What makes America different from anywhere else...

Whatever you say

"Tell me."

"No."

"Come on!"

"NO."

"Why not?" she whines, poking my shoulder. "Its just a stupid list." And then the pouting starts.

I sigh. "Cuz, a lot of the things I say end up coming true."

"Like what?"

"Remember when I told Mr. Reese to burn in hell? The next day he came in with a burn all around his left arm."

"Ooh! Oooor when you told Johnny to shut up? And his throat got so sore he couldn't talk for three days! Oh God, his voice when he finally DID speak," she chuckles. When she finally stops, everything's quiet for a moment. "Nothin's gonna happen, geesh. Or, this could be a great opportunity to abuse your superpower." She smirks and I follow suit.

"Fine."

"Ready?"

"Yeah. 1. No such things as diseases. 2.-"

She makes a strange noise emanating from the back of her throat.

"What?"

"Well, I just thought you were gonna be careful with this list...

Whatever you say

"Tell me."

"No."

"Come on!"

"NO."

"Like what?"

"Ooh! Oor when you told Johnny to shut up? And his throat got so sore he couldn't talk for three days! Oh God, his voice when he finally DID speak," she chuckles. When she finally stops, everything's quiet for a moment. "Nothin's gonna happen, geesh. Or, this could be a great opportunity to abuse your superpower." She smirks and I follow suit.

"Fine."

"Ready?"

"What?"

Playlist Selfie

Myself: The Musical

Hi, you can call me Ash.

What am I like? Umm....., you said you're into music, right?

You Can't Win by Kelly Clarkson. "The one who doesn't quite fit in, under-dressed, under your skin." I'm the youngest of six and each one of them excel in their different areas. The Valedictorian, Artist, Geek, Girly-Girl, and Lawyer. Instead of creating my own category, I stole a little bit of each. I'm smart, can draw well enough, have watched Terminator and Firefly, am sociable to an extent, and can come up with witty, biting comebacks to most insults. That said, I couldn't survive a week in their shoes, probably not even a day. "You try so hard but it's wearing on your heart." I've tried being the kid who doesn't get lower than a 95 on any assignment: it didn't work. I've tried playing politics: I nearly died. My dad talked to me about the basics of coding: all I understood was...

Life Through A Window

Broken Glass

The pieces are broken but not yet shattered, somehow staying together despite all the abuse they'd endured. I'd give anything to say that they were painted pretty colors, that it was an artistic choice rather than merely messed up. The dark shades would make it nearly impossible to see the tragedy that was on the other side. I debate stretching out my hand and placing my palm gingerly on the glass, giving the friend some comfort through my companionship and loyalty. But the clear divider isn't as smooth as it once was. The jagged edges now greatly outnumber the polished ones and the time for self-sacrifice has passed. I could smile, offer hope and joy, but my face remains as blank as the one that stares back at me. He has a mouth that he could distort into a grin or frown but he settles for making his eyes look entirely disinterested while his mouth stays in a tight line....

Regrets of a Thief

Evan's Epiphany

Life just sucked.

That was the thought that entered Evan Parker's mind as he dashed underneath the nearby awning covering the bench at the train stop just before the rain, like everything else in his life, got worse. Who the hell even took the train anymore? There were thousands of cars, buses, subways, even bikes for the eco-friendly; it wasn't necessary anymore, was it?

He laid his head in his hands and used them to slowly rub away the migraine and, perhaps with a bit of luck, the entire memory of today. He just should have known it would end like this.

He just should have known.

Should have known that nothing ever went as planned.

"There's no such thing as a plan that works on the first run."

Those were his words that he had repeated time and time again; why had he forgotten them?

"Jess." The name slipped off his tongue with ease and it was out into...

Ash's 4 Likes

Knocking by Jake T.

Published almost 3 years ago

Something of a Love Poem by Grace Mary Potts

Published almost 3 years ago

Uncomfortable by Olivia Schultz-Falandes

Published over 3 years ago

Ungrateful Beauty by Elizabeth

Published over 3 years ago

12 Likes from Others

The Trouble With This Year

Liked by 6 people

A Troubled Tale

Liked by 2 people

<Insert Clever Title Here>

Liked by 1 person

Elizabeth Ryou

Liked by 1 person

The Art of Scarring

Liked by 1 person

The Trouble With This Year

Liked by 2 people

Evan's Epiphany

Liked by 2 people

Broken Glass

Liked by 4 people

Why I Never Told You

Liked by 2 people

Myself: The Musical

Liked by 1 person

Whatever you say

Liked by 2 people

Won't you play?

Liked by 1 person

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned almost 3 years ago

Master reviewer

Um. Just saying you have published OVER FIFTY REVIEWS!!

Earned over 2 years ago

Pro reviewer

You've now submitted over five reviews!

Earned over 2 years ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned almost 3 years ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned almost 3 years ago

Power writer

Do you ever sleep? You've written over TEN THOUSAND WORDS.

Earned over 2 years ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned almost 3 years ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned over 2 years ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned almost 3 years ago

Popular penman

Very nicely done - you've got over ten favorites.

Earned over 2 years ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned almost 3 years ago

Top critic

Woohoo. You've submitted over fifteen reviews.

Earned over 2 years ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Competitor inactive

It's as easy as entering a competition to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.