Image

Maisie Ellise

I like coffee, alternative music, and historical fiction. My favorite color is green. I'm most likely to be found reading or writing in one of my little hidey-holes, humming a little ditty, always with a lemon-scented candle burning in the corner.

Always have a jacket, carry a pen, wear comfortable shoes, and have a snack at hand. Oh, and when all else fails, sing in the shower.

Image

Maisie Ellise (United States) published:

Prelude to "I Found"

PROMPT: Lyrics Unsung

Strange, how I've been marked with a scarlet letter; when he pressed himself into me, he seemed so sure of what he was doing, so sure of what he wanted. He was strong, and confident. His movements were strong, and confident. Whatever religion he held to--whatever Bible was resting on the bookshelf across the room while he kissed my neck--it hadn't had so much power over him then. Having been near to me didn't sicken him until after he'd shared...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Image
Leader

Maisie Ellise (United States) earned a badge Leader

Image
1

Sour Lemonade

PROMPT: Your View

1. We're our best selves when we're kind.
2. Rap isn't music. (It may be spoken-word poetry, but it's not music.)
3. All the world underestimates the power of an afternoon nap.
4. Abortion is wrong. (Aren't mothers duty-bound to value their children's lives above their own?)
5. Keeping up with the daily news only makes pessimists out of us.
6. Green is the only color as vibrant as our mind's eyes can picture it.
7. Dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate...

Image

When I am Micah's Mother

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition

Oh, God,

Sometimes I wonder about your will.

I wonder, when the fragility of a newborn child's skin is treated with the sympathies of a seamstress to her pincushions; when tubes—tubes to feed, tubes to breathe, tubes at needles’ ends through which sedatives flow—fetter the flailing limbs of a baby spasming and seizing; when Valium alone fails and a Morphine drip becomes the very last of all horrible options so that this precious boy might live the last of his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Image

Maisie Ellise (United States) reviewed:

Letters to Petersburg

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition

I am beginning to loathe the lack of direct communication between writers, even when I might understand and appreciate its benefits to the safety of Write the World's authors. But no matter. I wish that there was a way for...

Image
Img 20160618 120057

Maisie Ellise (United States) started following ShannonAlynn (Canada)

Image

Maisie Ellise (United States) liked Cancer by ShannonAlynn (Canada)

Image
Pro reviewer

Maisie Ellise (United States) earned a badge Pro Reviewer

Image
2

When I am Micah's Mother

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition

Oh, God,

Sometimes I wonder about your will.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Image

Maisie Ellise (United States) reviewed:

From 17 to 87

PROMPT: Dear Me

If you're not already a part of the Poets and Wordsmiths group, dash over and join it! I can see that you'd be just perfect to answer the "Paradoxical Phrasing" prompt from what you've written here. Good work, author. I...

Lyrics Unsung

Prelude to "I Found"

Strange, how I've been marked with a scarlet letter; when he pressed himself into me, he seemed so sure of what he was doing, so sure of what he wanted. He was strong, and confident. His movements were strong, and confident. Whatever religion he held to--whatever Bible was resting on the bookshelf across the room while he kissed my neck--it hadn't had so much power over him then. Having been near to me didn't sicken him until after he'd shared my body.

Strange, how so suddenly he seems convinced of his eternal damnation. Does... does my memory fail me? The pastor only deigns to look at me through the very corners of his eyes (too righteous, I suppose, to let me know outright that he spurns me). Christ Jesus washed the feet of sinners with his own hair, he says, but it's clear that I'm beyond hope; what salvation could ever be offered to the girl who corrupted the beautiful...

Your View

Sour Lemonade

7. Dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate (and white chocolate, for that matter).
8. God is good, Jesus Christ is my savior, and the Holy Spirit is alive in us.
9. There's no harm in being a little naive; it's better to be a romantic than a cynic.
10. Lemonade is best when it's made more sour than sweet.

Letter Writing Competition

When I am Micah's Mother

Oh, God,

Sometimes I wonder about your will.

I wonder, when the fragility of a newborn child's skin is treated with the sympathies of a seamstress to her pincushions; when tubes—tubes to feed, tubes to breathe, tubes at needles’ ends through which sedatives flow—fetter the flailing limbs of a baby spasming and seizing; when Valium alone fails and a Morphine drip becomes the very last of all horrible options so that this precious boy might live the last of his days without pain—

I wonder. 

I wonder, when the joy of two newly christened parents is corrupted by the virulent cancer thriving at the heart of their little son's brain; when their love that was manifested in flesh and blood, from the place where flesh formed together to create their precious child—where the husband and wife pressed themselves together in a passionate tangle of limbs, where the poignance of desire was felt by both beyond the familiarity of their own...

Letter Writing Competition

When I am Micah's Mother

Oh, God,

Sometimes I wonder about your will.

I wonder. 

Collected Wisdom

Temporaneity

Think beforehand about what you're looking to write. What is the mood of your unwritten scene, of your unwritten vignette, of your unwritten chapter? Carefully explore that mood and associate sensory details to it, appealing to at least three of the basic senses. Hold those details vividly in your mind's eye while you're writing.

Take, for example, the scene of a parting which features two lovers' very last kiss. What's the mood, here? I would think that it's bittersweet, with the notes of emotion relying heavily upon what's bitter and not too much upon what's sweet. I'd begin to explore this mood by thinking of sensory details within the setting that reflect the bittersweet mood by offering natural opposites. Perhaps I'll think first to the taste of that brisk autumn air. At first, I'll imagine that it's pleasant, but I'll ponder whether or not there's an acrid note to the tongue, and wonder if this presages a storm. Next, I might...

Dear Me

Most Hopefully, We

Hello, Madie. 

Are you well? I should hope so!

What is the year? What is the season? Is it fall? We've always loved fall.

By now, I hope your last name isn't the five-letter label you held for so many years. I dearly hope it's Nelson, now, although I suppose that only time will tell of what that boy's become—both to himself, and to you. I hope the both of you are well (although I'd prefer that you are well together).

When you broke this letter's virtual seal and untangled this digital paper from its twining of 0s and 1s, I hope you found yourself without too much nostalgia to bear. What's there to wish for about this time of your life? We're only now breaching the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, excavating ourselves now from the burial we suffered at the hands of depression; we're only now finding how to live again after we were swallowed...

Playwriting Competition

And Wonder Why

(Soft lights, mimicking mid-morning sun, rise on a simple set, with only a dock and small moored boat placed at center stage right. In the boat, two young children fish.)

LEWIS: Lola, I got one!
LOLA: Not fair! You already got three, and they aren't even nibbling for me!
LEWIS: I told you to use a worm.
LOLA: But worms are slimy.
LEWIS: (He reels the fish in.) Look, Lola, look!
LOLA: Ooh, yuck!
LEWIS: He's not yucky! It's just a little guy. Touch him, Lola!
LOLA: Ew, no! He's so slimy!
LEWIS: How are you gonna fish if you don't ever wanna touch the slimy things?
LOLA: I don't have to touch the slimy things. You do! You're always going and catching all the frogs and salamanders and creeper-crawlies. I'll just make you do it.
LEWIS: ...If you ever catch anything.
LOLA: Hey! (LOLA shoves LEWIS playfully.) I can get one. You just gotta watch me!
LEWIS:...

Color Swatch

Endwort

Endwort. Adj; End•wort, [end-wawrt] 1. The color of a fallen leaf, brittle as parchment, lobes and points curling with decay at the gentle, chilly breeze, dappled in sunlight upon the forest floor, a last spot of warmth before winter swallows the world in snow.

Playwriting Competition

And Wonder Why

(A simple set, with a dock and small moored boat. In it, two children fish.)

LEWIS: Lola, I got one!
LEWIS: I told you to use a worm.
LOLA: But worms are slimy.
LOLA: Ooh, yuck!
LOLA: Ew, no! He's so slimy!
LEWIS: ...If you ever catch anything.
LEWIS: Oh, right. Catch this! (He swings the fish toward her.)
LOLA: Ew! Get...

Maisie Ellise's 2 Likes

Cancer by ShannonAlynn

Published about 1 year ago

Halcyon by Ioana Georgiana

Published over 1 year ago

5 Likes from Others

Sour Lemonade

Liked by 1 person

Sour Lemonade

Liked by 1 person

Most Hopefully, We

Liked by 1 person

Endwort

Liked by 1 person

And Wonder Why

Liked by -1 people

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned over 1 year ago

Pro reviewer

You've now submitted over five reviews!

Earned about 1 year ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned over 1 year ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 7 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 1 year ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned over 1 year ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned over 1 year ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Favoriter inactive

Get favoriting - read and favorite over ten pieces published by others to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.