Nyla

15

Thank you so much for 90+ followers!!

Est. March 4, 2021

If you want a peer review, just ask :)
Please, please, please feel free to give constructive criticism!! I thrive on it. I want to improve!

Current word count (watch this go down tomorrow once I realize I hate something I've written XD): 15 257

Also for the coming like twenty days, I am going to either take a really long time replying or not be able to reply at all cause it's Ramadan! I will still write but replying time will be an all-time high. So don't think I'm ignoring you, I love talking to all of you! <3

Peer Reviews

coastline; cityscape

PROMPT: Week 4 - Breaking the Rules

You are really amazing at descriptions! But, I feel like you could tap a bit more into the feelings of moving away instead of leaving those to the ending, or like describe the beauty of the coast before you describe the drabness of the cityscape to illustrate the dramatic difference and effect this must be having on the character. (also I've just now caught on to your title- wow, it's ingenious to have the semicolon) Ok, so I decided to review this piece because all the formatting pieces are just so stylistic that there's really no right or wrong; all my comments would be just coming from what I would have written (if that makes sense lol). Anyways, feel free to ignore my comments since I am just one reader and you know your piece the best (plus this was already awesome and most of the stuff was really nitpicky!) It was really fun to review and let me know if you ever want anything else of yours reviewed! Hope this helped! :)

4 months

Pieces of shattered glass

PROMPT: Poetry and Spoken Word Competition: 2021

Oooh I really like this, it’s a cool idea and your descriptions with like “lipstick-stained glasses” was really cool. Ok now onto your questions. 1. Yes I can tell the difference between the two fonts. 2. No I like the title- but honestly I’m bad at naming titles so can’t really help you there lol 3. I like the rhymes! 4. Umm the normal font makes me feel really sad and the italic font is making me imagine another world but the last italic stanza leaves me a bit confused. Were they brothers fighting for who would be king? 5. I like the repetition because I think it helps the reader imagine what it would sound like when spoken aloud. General feedback you could try to intertwine (and of course realize maybe I‘m just tired and didn’t understand it too well- I just got my new trays of Invisalign and BOY are they tight) the two storylines a bit better. Like maybe the italic one is foreshadowing what happens in the normal font one. Something like that could be really cool. Also, remember that I am just one reader and you know your piece the best- I'm only being super critical because I think it'll help you!

4 months

fruit preserves

This was so awesome and I loved reading and reviewing it! I hope this helped (it wasn't a lot- it was already so amazing) and feel free to ignore all the comments I made as they are just one reader's opinion and you know your piece the best. Let me know if you ever re-draft :)

4 months

when my lunch table is empty, this is why.

I really hope you aren't dealing with that friend anymore because you deserve so much better! And please feel free to talk to me if you ever need to- I dealt with some toxic friends a few years ago and I felt so unbelievably relieved once I moved on! And good luck in the competition! I'm sure you'll do amazing!

4 months

Equality for all

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

This was amazing and I hope this helped a bit, feel free to ask me for any clarification :)

4 months

A Day of Flight

I left a few highlights on some tiny things in the piece. I struggle with this a lot too, but with present tense, you don’t have to use -ing words all the time. You can use words that are in the present already. I left a highlight explaining this in use but another example could be, “driving” and “drives” are both in the present tense and it’s nice to switch up the type you use instead of strictly sticking to one or the other. This was a really awesome piece and I loved reading it so much! Ultimately, feel free to ignore any/all of my feedback because I am just one reader’s opinion and you know your piece best! I hope this helped :)

4 months

Up

PROMPT: Sijo

I really liked this sijo. Instead of going the traditional action route where this character may be running from something, this is quaint and idyllic. And if you weren't trying to go for that, sorry! But the second line really sets it at that because the character has time to notice the little things. This is just a short happy piece and I really like it! :)

4 months

these here gravely callings

It's awesome that this is based on real-life- those pieces are always the best! I really loved this, I think there's a lot of descriptions throughout and a very haunting, melancholy feel. Great job :)

4 months

The Moon In You

PROMPT: Sijo

This was a really awesome sijo and I loved reading it! Great job :)

4 months

Love

This was a really awesome piece and I had tons of fun reviewing it!

4 months

Golden

You use really great descriptions to help the reader envision what's happening, like saying "frayed" and describing blood trickling. I could really imagine everything happening! btw, this was my peer review piece from SamRose- I hope this helped a bit. Feel free to ask for more clarification and this was awesome!

4 months

These Moments

PROMPT: Friendship Tweet

One thing is you go from happy to sad and back to happy. If you're going to do that maybe you could have stanza breaks because the last mood transition doesn't have one and it makes the reader a bit confused why you said "but at the same time" Cause you started off happy Then said "but at the same time" to transition to the sad And then went happy again but there was no transition Ok, I worded that really bad but I'm not sure how else to explain it so hopefully, you got what I meant, and feel free to ask me for further clarification. This was a really amazing piece and feel free to ignore any/all of my comments because I am just one reader and you know your piece the best :) btw, this was my peer review assignment from SamRose but it was really fun to do and I hope it helped! It was a really well-done piece though so there wasn't much to comment on :)

4 months

Here Comes the Sun

This was soo amazing and I really enjoyed reading it! I only made really tiny nitpicks and again, those are completely your choice to agree with or not as you know your piece best and I am just one reader! :)

4 months

This beach

PROMPT: Sijo

This was such an amazing sijo and left so much up to the imagination!!! I literally love this and am left thinking so much! It's so romantic!!

4 months

Cobblestone path

PROMPT: Sijo

Omg awww this was literally such a sweet piece I loved it so much!! If you ever see my "*squeal*" piece you'll know this could not have come at a worse time for me XD but seriously, awww this was so cute!!

4 months

Dialogue

I definitely can tell the dialogue of the characters apart- really amazing how you did it!! I think there are three things which really help, 1) The lady uses some words that are a bit more complex 2) the lady has more complex thoughts 3) some of the movements you describe (paused and tapped her finger on the wood of the mirror) are generally more adult things to do. Especially cause this scene seems like an eager child when you say "cocked" who either wouldn't be allowed to touch anything or if she did would "grab it" not "tap her finger". Anyways you did awesome and I hope this helped!

4 months

We Are Home

PROMPT: Home’s Essence

This was such an awesome piece with beautiful imagery and rhythm! I loved reading it!! :)

4 months

Daydream in a Tea Cup

Just one question, this daydream seems to be more scary than light or happy, would "nightmare in a Tea Cup" be more appropriate? It would definitely grab attention! But again, you can ignore :) This was so much fun to read! :)

4 months

He was Standing in the Corner

This was such a sweet simple piece and I loved reading it! :)

4 months

Hope will come again.

PROMPT: Pandemic Metaphor

This was an awesome piece and I loved reading it! The simplicity just packed a punch!!

4 months

Home.

PROMPT: Home’s Essence

It's awesome how you describe home through a story (entering, going to your room, getting dinner). I loved this! I left a few tiny comments on the piece but feel free to ignore my comments as I am just one reader and you know your piece best! I hope this helped! It was a ton of fun to review :))

4 months

Looking through a lese chapter one (pls review!!)

I would just say two things you could keep in mind for any type of story writing (I was given these tips by some amazing people not too long ago) are... 1. Try to show not tell as much. So for example, if a character Ben was a really nice person, don't say "Ben was the nicest person ever". Instead, you could say, "Ben always helped his neighbors with the groceries and listened to his friend's problems" or something like that! It's a lot more fun for the reader to try understanding the characters themselves than to be told about them. 2. Although you've done really great with the descriptions after dialogue with how people said things, don't do it all the time. Sometimes it can cut off the flow of the story a bit and make it more choppy than if you were to just have a few lines of dialogue. But of course, if it isn't clear who's speaking then explain! Also just letting you know, please feel free to ignore anything I say. I am just one reader's opinion and you know your piece the best! This was amazing btw, I was just trying to be super critical cause you said you wanted to publish this one day! This was really fun to edit! (although the update made it take like 20 years longer!) :) Hope this helped!! :))

4 months

Respite

PROMPT: Home’s Essence

I only made two tiny comments and feel free to ignore them as they are only what I, one reader think and you know your piece best! :) Overall it was really awesome!

4 months

Ok, another quote

I only made that one highlight because I thought it may run smoother without that word and make it seem a bit more open-ended. Like instead of making a home just for you, you may have people you know in there. But that is completely your choice and feel free to ignore as you know your piece best!! and it is awesome as it is!! :)

4 months

Rhymes With 'Barbecue'

It was such a nice and fun piece to read! I loved it and I could really imagine it as I read! Great job! :)

4 months

questions (footnotes)

This was a really beautiful, simplistic piece that I really enjoyed reading (although it did make me sad definitely)! Awww, I really hope your mother soon realizes how the things she says affects you. And of course, (even though I don't know you) take a break. Take some time to just think and definitely do your schoolwork! I didn't come on WTW for like two days just for a simple essay and 7-page research paper, yikes, please get started on that. Good luck, it'll be amazing!! :)

4 months

Who I Am

This was an awesome piece and I loved reading it! You’re very lucky to have such amazing men in your life and I definitely agree with your message, the men in my life have always pushed me up and helped me! There are definitely bad men out there but fortunately, neither you nor I have met any :) Also for all the comments I made, feel free to ignore them, you know your writing best and I am just giving you one reader's opinion :) Happy writing!!!

4 months

Around the World, Laughter and Tears and Songs, and the Rhythm of Keys on a Keyboard

It was a really awesome, poetic piece, and please feel free to ignore my comments. Ultimately you know the piece the best and I am just one reader. :) I really loved reading this though!!

4 months

I Have A Voice

This was an awesome piece and really true! Ultimately feel free to ignore my comments as I'm only one reader's opinion and you know your piece best. This was a pleasure to read, happy writing! :)

4 months

A State of Confusion

This was a brilliant, really true piece and I loved the simplicity of it and the double-spacing!! Feel free to ignore my comments as ultimately you know your piece the best and I am just giving you one reader's opinion. It was a really amazing piece! Great job!

4 months

cigarettes and lavender

Of course, feel free to not listen to any of my comments because ultimately you know the piece best and this was beautifully done! Great job!

4 months

Prisoner

PROMPT: Week 1 - Setting the Stage

"dry lips" was such an amazing way to start the tone off dark! this was really interesting! Also, Ruth, I love your writing so much! Including this piece! I was just trying to be really critical (it was hard) because I know I always need that! Anyways, hope this helps :)

4 months

Sleep Paralysis :)

This was a really awesome piece and I think you could improve it even more! I hope my review kind of helped. It was a really short, well-written piece so there wasn't lots to pick out but feel free to let me know if there's anything else of yours you want reviewed and I'd be happy to :)

4 months

Shadows

one overall thing I would say to work on for the future is to try to switch up the language you use in the piece. For example, instead of using "I" so much, use "my". This is really tricky and I struggle with it as well. Here's an example to show what I mean, "Every shadow I glanced at quickly morphed into some ghastly creature of my imagination." you could change this to "Every shadow my eyes grazed over quickly morphed into some ghastly creature of imagination" You don't even need the "my" later on so you get rid of glue/filler words!! It was a really awesome piece and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! It was beautifully written and I think you could improve it even further! Hope this helped :))) Oooh also, this is 100% a random suggestion so feel free to ignore but what about the title as "Shadows"

4 months

Friendship (original I know :D, also footnotes for a Q&A!!!!)

PROMPT: Friendship Tweet

It was an overall really beautiful and amazing piece!! Personally, I think you could do without a lot of the "the's" and "and's" to make it flow a bit better but that's a really small nitpick and ultimately up to you! I would only add them every three or so items (hopefully that makes sense XD) This piece made me feel all happy inside! Really great job!! And happy 105!!! The formatting was also amazing and really added to it! I also loved the rhymes! Really amazing :)))

4 months

Moonburn

BTW, this piece was really amazing! I was only being really nitpicky to get all those little things! :) It's beautifully written right now and I think you could improve it even further! I hope this helped :)

4 months

Liquid Nourishment

The format really adds to the poem and I love how your words flow into one another just like what you're talking about! I love the title- it adds to the mystery!

5 months

Rings; March Grab Bag

PROMPT: March Grab Bag

It was really awesome- when I started reading I was like, how is this going to be a story in such few words? But you did it amazingly! And the way that you tied this into rings was amazing! Great job and feel free to ignore my comments, they were just nitpicks :) RE: Thank you :)

5 months

fangirling will be the death of me

I hope your foot heals really fast :) Have a great day/night :)

5 months

South Carolina, 1843

There's such vivid imagery throughout and you utilize repetition really well! Well done!!

5 months

My heart breaks for Remus Lupin

I loved it so much and the only comments I made were extremely tiny nitpicks and you can feel free to ignore all of them because they're all just personal opinion. I just know that I like people picking out things like that in mine :)

5 months

Nine-Years-Old

I love how it starts off sad and ends happy- it's a very positive piece.

5 months

Oh, What War Does To A Young Lad

Wow, you're an amazing writer! Response to the footnote: I'm so sorry, my condolences to you. Rest in peace to him. He must have been the sweetest man and your grandmother was very lucky to have someone who cared so deeply for her. p.s. If you could ever check out something I've written that would be amazing since you're obviously a talented writer, and I'm pretty new, but if not, no worries :) Also, can I just say wow! I cannot believe you're only 14!! This was a really beautiful piece!

5 months

the farm

RE: Awww, I'm so happy you enjoyed my comment, I enjoyed yours too :)) And thank you so so much! You literally have so much talent, I love every one of your songs. Also sorry, I couldn't get too technical in my review (I really am NOT a musician lol)

5 months

breaking point

It was really really well written, great job! p.s. I would love it if you could check out something I've written :) Have a great day!

5 months

Holding Back

It was such a simple, sweet poem that really packed a punch. And btw, thanks for your sweet comment on my "Oceans" Haiku, I showed my little sister and she had such a huge grin on her face :) Have a great day!

5 months

something ending

Wow! This was just beautiful throughout, and I can't really pick a specific part I liked, but at the same time, I felt like the closer it got to the end, the more powerful it became. p.s. I'd love it if you could leave me some feedback on something I've written, but if not, no worries! Have a great day! :)

5 months

Recipe for a perfect day (quick and simple)

PROMPT: March Grab Bag

You split everything up in a very organized fashion and explained everything very concisely which was awesome! Although not specifically stating a component as "self-love" you hinted at it throughout your recipe and I think that was really cool cause it kind of shows that a lot of things we do, we should do for our own benefit (like the thought process of doing your bed so you don't feel tempted rather than cause your mom told you) Overall, really nice read, have a great day :)

5 months

My Life in Progress

PROMPT: Year by Year

It was written really well and you did a great job of making everything super concise and not boring!! You included only a few important, defining moments- which was good because otherwise, it would have been wayyyy too long! Really great!! I loved it! :)

5 months

Red Roses (maybe going to be a series?)

It read like a Wattpad story! Also, would love if you could check out one of my works :)

5 months

Chocolate Drops (Old Piece)

I love the formatting and the non-italicized/italicized way of splitting the couplets!

5 months

On American Values

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

It was amazing! Do you recommend reading the book Sapiens?

5 months

i haiku u (9 months w a flat earther in class)

The idea to use continuous haikus is so unique, I've never seen it done before and you did it really well. Also, I find haiku's the absolute hardest type of poetry, so applause for that. Really amazing job! :)

5 months

the winner takes it all

PROMPT: The Drabble

I love how you describe the other contestant's grasp as weak, I think that kind of adds depth and makes you think, were they really strong enough to deserve the win? Great job!! :)

5 months

Don't let them cave

PROMPT: 25 Words

Wow! this was so amazing! I love how the poem feels finished and yet there's so much left to happen and it's up to the reader's imagination!

5 months