peridot (semi-hiatus)

est. sep. 2020
bff- AstroWriter
your typical leo
slytherclaw, amity, district 1
probably writing or daydreaming
obsessed with the stars
"there must be darkness for a light to shine"

(semi-hiatus)
don't tease me because i WILL cry.
thank you and good night

im going on a longggg break

hi guys....
a lot of you probably wont even see this but, as the title says, im taking a break from wtw, probably for a month or more. im doing this because i feel like im getting really competitive and self conscious in my head. i compare my follow count to other peoples' and tell myself the reason im getting, well, not a lot of likes, is because my pieces aren't good enough. 
like i said, i cant help comparing myself to others. i have a friend that started on wtw a few weeks after me and their follow count is a lot more than mine and im really happy for her, i promise, but i think that's starting to affect my mental health. i always try and support my friends and i would always encourage my friend when she was writing and it just makes me really upset to know that im comparing myself to her.
because i shouldn't...

what, where, and how do you fall asleep?

what happens when you fall asleep? what are your dreams?
do they really mean something? or are they just random scenes and scenarios that flash through your head when you are asleep?

where do you go when you fall asleep? is it some new world that you share with everyone else who is asleep?
or are you just lost in your mind?

how do you fall asleep? you don't have any memories of falling asleep. so is your consciousness slowly slipping away like sand in your cupped hands? sometimes, you tell yourself that you can't sleep. but next thing you know, you are asleep.

The Package: Prologue

Prologue
The girl with the brown hair and black sunglasses went unnoticed in the busy London square. Her hands were shoved into the pockets of as long brown coat, her feet laced into tall brown boots, her head covered in a wide-brimmed brown hat. In other words, she looked like another typical pedestrian out for a shop in the early Sunday afternoon.
The girl passed cafes and boutique shops, thrift stores and hair salons until she stopped in front of a rickety wire gate. Perched atop it was a sign with black and bright yellow stripes reading Do Not Enter.
The other pedestrians rushed particularly quickly past the gate, keeping their heads down.
"You shouldn't go in there, little girl," a man warned. "No place for someone like you."
The girl ignored him.
She took a deep breath, her fingers looping into the metal wire as she prepared to open it.
It wasn't like she hadn't done this before. She...

that snowflake...

that snowflake is lily. she thinks she's the most beautiful and she is beautiful. but not the most. other flakes think she's snobby and vain and they're right. lily still doesn't know why they don't like her because to her she's not snobby or vain. she's just beautiful.

that snowflake is timmy. the other snowflakes bully him because he's so small. but timmy knows that one day, when he's placed at the top of the snowman head, he'll be worthy and popular. so timmy will be patient and wait for that day to come.

that snowflake is alora. she's the sweet one that everyone loves. she wants to be friends with lily but lily thinks alora is weird. well, lily thinks everyone is weird. alora remembers when she floated down from her cloud and she could see the whole wide world. she desperately wants to experience it again.

that snowflake is dearan. he's big and strong and good looking but...

what should the title be?

me and my brain's arguments when writing:
click the start writing button already!
i dont have an idea just yet. well... maybe poetry? i like poetry.
but sometimes poetry is too deep, readers won't like it!
wait but why do we care about what other people think?
we shouldn't
okay then, poetry. first line
ummm
i dont even know. what will people like? 
damn it! we're not supposed to think about what other people like
we're supposed to think about what we like
well it's apparent we can't write poetry right now
alright then...non-fiction?
sure, like a report on something- wait no that's lame
well sci fi or fantasy then!
okay a boy- no girl who ummm... should i make her an alien?
no, that's absurd, she goes to school and then meets an alien!
that sounds interesting but how?
her teacher's and alien?
how does she find out then?
ahh i dont know
let's try realistic fiction or adventure ...

The Drabble

The Tree

The tree was tall and willowy, it's long branches prefect for climbing and providing shade. It kept the little girl company when she was lonely, comfort when she was sad, calmness when she was upset. She loved the tree and the tree loved her back. But one day when the little girl went to find it, the tree wasn't there. She told herself that it had probably taken a vacation. It would surely be back soon. And not until she had grown up did she realize it had been there all this time. But it had turned into a stump.

12 Months in 3 Paragraphs: First Paragraph

If you asked me to describe 2020 in five words, it would be:
Confusion, Fear, Drama, Injustice, Boredom
I think that's pretty self explanatory. I live in the USA so I'm not completely sure what the virus was like in other countries, but I think we can all agree it was pretty crazy. So here's the wrap my year.

Paragraph 1: January, February, March, April
Let's admit it, we all celebrated way too early when 2020 rolled around. I mean, one, it's the new year! Awesome! Fresh start, clean slate, new resolutions! Yay! And two, it's 20, 20. What could be more lucky? So all of us little naïve and innocent people waved our banners and blew our party horns and celebrated. And guess what? The year started off rotten.
First, there was the news of a dangerous virus from China but none of us were very concerned, were we? And then it started to get more serious and the...

i dont wanna talk about it okay?

i feel bad because of a lot of things
i felt bad last week when i tripped in gym and kids laughed at me
i felt bad yesterday when i got a B minus on my math test
i felt bad today when lydia told me that katie didn't invite me to her sleepover
and i know i'll feel bad later today when i go home all sad and gloomy and mom comes in and asks me what happened
and i'll say i dont wanna talk about it okay?
and then mom will walk away looking sad
and i'll feel bad again
then i'll scold myself for feeling bad
then to distract myself from feeling bad i'll start my homework
then they'll be a problem i can't do
then i'll get frustrated after five minutes of trying
then mom'll come in again and ask what's wrong
then i'll be angry i was interrupted
then i'll say i dont wanna talk...

a day in my virtual learning

at seven thirty a.m. i get up, shower, and brush my teeth
then i have breakfast
i go downstairs and set up my computer and log into microsoft teams meeting
then i listen to my classmates' excuses about why they were late and write them down just in case
some of my favorites are:
the meeting wouldn't let me join
i couldn't hear the audio so i left and joined back
my computer died

next, instead of copying down the notes displayed on the laptop screen, i just use my phone and take a picture of the screen
in the ten minute break between blocks, i squeeze in as much of my social life as i can
for my next block, i get to hear what stories kids make up when they dont know what the teacher is talking about
i went to the bathroom
your voice was cutting out
the meeting kicked me out

then i spend the rest...

just average me

name? call me 'just'
last name? me
middle name? go with average
so you're 'just average me'? yup.
well, okay if you say so.
hair color? brown
eye color? brown
height? average
weight? average
hobbies? hm, i dont really have any
talents? none
fears? no fears
oh, come on you gotta be afraid of something
well, being average i guess

Pandemic Memoir

Pandemic Memoir

Okay, I'm still processing what happened.

how people see me

according to my mom im sarcastic, stubborn, and proud
well... okay, that's true
according to my dad im independent and a rebel
and proud to be, got it?
according to my brother im scary, loud, and annoying
that's how i would describe you :/
according to my grandparents im a beautiful young lady
haha, okay...
according to my cousins im shy and sweet
you wish!
according to my friends im kind and talkative
i am proud to hold the world record for fastest talker in the world
according to my teachers im smart and quiet
yes ma'am
according to me im all of those things
exactly!

If You Could be Immortal

If there was a potion, free and easy to get but only for you, that would ensure you never died, would you take it? Only you, out of the entire universe can get it. And that potion would make you immortal. Even if you caught the worst disease in the world, even if someone impaled you with a spear, you would live on and your wounds would heal. Eventually.
Now, I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to feel pain. You would get injuries just like everyone else, but those injuries would heal over time unlike everybody else.
Some would say yes! in a heartbeat. Others would take time to think about it but agree. And still more would say no.
Well, you're probably thinking one of two things right now. One: Is that even a question? I mean, who wouldn't?
Two: Why would I take it? Why would anyone take it?
Both sides have their points. Being immortal would...

why do books follow the same story line, it's getting boring

Seriously though. It's literally always:
A trio of teens
An evil organization
There's the stupid main character who seems to never die
There's the funny sidekick who would sacrifice himself for the others
There's the smart girl who keeps them out of trouble
Those three become BFF's
Then they run away or something to defeat the evil organization

Finally, there's the climax of the story where they come face to face with the bad guys
And then the main character decides to either do something really dumb like rush at the villain yelling "charge!"
Or goes into a dramatic scene like "ahhhh! noooo! torture me! take me and leave my friends. guys save yourselves!"
And then everyone starts crying
But, like I said before, the main character doesn't die, because if they did, nobody would like the book and the author would get sued for making the readers cry so much, their tears would flood the world.
So they all...

poems to me

when i was little
i did not like
poems

when i was little
i didn't understand
the beauty or flow of poems

when i was little
poems were a 
boat with no sail
it's there
you can climb in it
but it doesn't move

when i was little 
i wanted poems to 
go like this

my dog is called spot
he has lots of little dots
i love spot

which is a poem
just not a very
creative
original
unque
one

now i know that
poems don't
need to have
rhyme or reason

now i know that
each sentence
doesn't have
to be on a different
line

now i know that
poems are hard to write
if you're a perfectionist

now i know that 
poems can be hard to write
period.

now i know that
nothing in the world is
perfect

so why should poems be?

Invaders (Chapter 1)

"I'm bored," Karisa moaned. "I hate this stupid base, there's nothing to do! Where are my cartoons and coloring pad? What about Monkey Maddy? And I miss my toys, especially Mister Bubblemouth!"
"This base saved our lives, dummy," I said shortly, re-organizing my bag for what felt like the hundredth time. "And Mister Bubblemouth is still at our New York City apartment, remember? If you like, we can go get more bean soup. You barely ate any last night; you still have plenty of rations left." I didn't have the heart to mention that Mister Bubblemouth, her fish plush toy, was probably either smoking with his fins burnt to a crisp or laying on her bed with his head torn off by pieces of debris.
Karisa stuck out her tongue at me. "The bean soup tastes like sewer water and you know it."
I didn't respond to this, as it was true. Sewer water with little slimy beetles floating...

the feel of night

the moonlight:
creeps into my window, seeping through the glass onto my bed. i can't describe what color it is. blue? no, subtler. gray? no, brighter. blue gray, warm gray, silver? still not right. but she creeps into every crevice of the world, spreading light.
the stars:
are miniature models of the sun, shining like a beacon against the inky sky. like gold glitter spilled on a black velvet surface, they gleam, identical to a diamond.
the night breeze:
is a finger gently brushing over the world, tickling the tops of trees, twirling the leaves, cradling the crops.it flows along like a train of silk, skating over the earth, slipping in between things in it's way.

the feel of night

the moonlight:
creeps into my window, seeping through the glass onto my bed. i can't describe what color it is. blue? no, subtler. gray? no, brighter. blue-gray? still not right. but she creeps into every crevice of the world, spreading light.
the stars:
the night breeze:

night

the sparkle of the stars
the light of the moon
the sound of crickets chirping 
the color of the beautiful sky
the quiet woosh of the wind
the howl of wolves in the distance
the peaceful atmosphere of night

tuning out

it's strange, isn't it?
you're in a boring class. teacher droning on about things you don't care about.
but you try to pay attention for the sake of your grades.
your brain is struggling to make sense of the words
in one ear and out the other
you're slowly, slowly,...
no!
you jerk back to reality just in time.
phew
okay, im paying attention
im listening, listening...

next thing you know, you just missed half the lesson.
and you don't remember anything from before.
shoot!
you don't even remember tuning out.
ugh.

A Trip to the Woods (Chp. 2)

"I want my mattress over there, and I need my vanity table against that wall- no! Like, over there, okay. And set my mirror up next to my table and put my raincoat over it. And you! Go take out my blanket and start unrolling it."
We all watched in shock as Elle Wilton directed her two maids around like they were computers and she was punching in commands. "Geez, she's taking up the whole cabin," Stella muttered quietly, so Elle, who was now ordering the red haired maid to start arranging her makeup, wouldn't hear. "She gets all that stuff on a school field trip while we get twin sized bunks."
Our cabin now looked like a Barbie doll had decided to convert half of it into pink-land and left the other half the way it was. "I feel bad for those maids," Casti whispered. "I'd quit in a day if I had to be bossed around by a...

A Trip to the Woods (Chp. 1)

"Wow. Well, this is the perfect setting for a horror movie," Mella remarked as soon as we stepped off the bus. "It looks like our school really went for cost rather than quality this year."
"Don't be mean, Mella. We're lucky to even get a field trip this year," Casti replied, shivering in the cold, though she didn't look too happy about staying at a place that looked like an abandoned campsite in those murder documentaries for two nights.
Even though Mella's negative comments could be annoying, I knew she had a point this time. The trees at Donahue's Nature Camp, the place my school had chosen for our annual overnight trip, were tall and barren, the thin branches looking like claws reaching out to strangle you. The sign announcing the name of the camp was hanging off it's hinges and the cabins we could see in the distance looked old and worn, the wood almost decaying in front of...

deep questions

what are we, as humans?
whats our purpose?
are we really living?
is our world even real?
are we just dreaming right now?
why do we exist?
what happens when we die?
is our universe just an experiment?
what if we are just toys or pawns for some other species?
are we here for some specific reason?

The Busy Day

clip
        clop
clip
        clop

sound of horse's feet on a cobblestone street

laughter ringing through the air

giggles
 and snippets of conversation

sun 
shining onto the tops of trees glossy and smooth like velvet

people bustling in
                                                                             and out

of busy shops clutching packages and bags

not a glance to spare for anybody else

too preoccupied

too absentminded and distracted 

to see, to pay attention

but the girl stands alone, a rock in a rushing river

smiling to the blue sky

Through Writing

I can accomplish my dreams through writing
I can persuade and negotiate through writing
I can be myself and have fun through writing
I can be other characters through writing
I can make new friends and relax through writing
I can learn and grow stronger through writing
I can lose myself in fantasy worlds through writing
I can see scenes of wonder never imagined through writing
so, i write.

Novel Writing Competition 2020

Beautiful Days in the Middle of Nowhere

The breeze tickles my skin as red and yellow leaves drift lazily to the ground beside me, sparkling in the bright autumn sun. Patches of light dance across the smooth, green field as the trees sway gently like waves at the beach and hills stretch as far as my eyes can see, standing out against the blue sky sprinkled with puffy white clouds.
It's a beautiful day, like it always is here, in the middle of Nowhere. Yes, our town is called Nowhere and we live in the middle of it. It's a special town, Nowhere is. We have plenty of land, but less than 300 people. I know most of them. 
Lila and her family live close to us, about a mile down the road. She's my best friend, I guess.
Then there are the Robinson's. They live close to us, too, near the old windmill next to the creek. The Miller's and old Mr. Tarney live besides Lila's...

Novel Writing Competition 2020

Beautiful Days in the Middle of Nowhere

Halloween Story (Read till the End)

I remember in second of third grade, Kate McCarron and I went trick or treating around my neighborhood. My mom's friend's teenage daughter went with us, Naomi, as a chaperone. My neighborhood is shaped like a Y, and we lived at the bottom of the Y. Kate and I decided to do my street first, then move to the right street, then the left.  
Not to brag, but my street was a total success. By the time we were finished, our bags were two-thirds full and we hadn't even gotten to half the other houses yet!  
We walked along the right street, ringing doorbells, flashing smiles, and yelling "trick-or-treat!" to the owners who each gave us handfuls of sweets. And then we got to the cua-de-sac and came to a house. Except, this house didn't have any Halloween decorations and flashing lights; but somehow, it was even more scary. 
Now, Kate and I weren't the type of kids who would pass...

Siblings

Eddy is being annoying. As usual. Annoying me is his favorite hobby, along with being as loud as an elephant when chewing gum.
"And remember when we went to that zoo in Texas? And you spilled ice cream all down your t-shirt and cried for the rest of the day...And what about the time when we went ice skating and you were trying to impress those kids and then you fell flat on your face...Also-," But he didn't get to finish, as I slammed my spoon into his cereal, splashing his face with milk.
"Hey!," he yelled, grabbing handfuls of tissues and wiping furiously at his face. The tissues stuck to his skin, making him look like a disgruntled Santa Claus. I burst out laughing as he throws his plastic spoon at me. 
"Stop messing around," Mama scolded, hurrying into the kitchen. "Get your backpacks; you're going to be late, for school, both of you."
Eddy pokes me one more...

Short Story

Blank canvas stares back at me as if it were taunting me.
In my head, I can picture breathtaking landscapes slowly making it's way onto the canvas. Fields of sunflowers, a beautiful sunset over the ocean, the skyline of New York City at night. But every time I start to sketch with my pencil, a line here and there, it looks wrong, just wrong. The flower has too many petals, the color of the sunset isn't right, the buildings too tall. 'I can't,' I tell myself. 'Put down the paintbrush.'

A Texting Story Part 4

[Private Chat Between Gabby and Lia]
Gabby: OMG WHAT DO WE DO???
Lia: Um, you choose: log off messages and deal with it when you're ready or switch to group chat with me and...
Gabby: Well, I'll never be ready so I might as well deal with it now.
Lia: Oh! I expected you to choose the first option...
Gabby: You underestimated me! Okay, ready? 1...
Lia: 2...
Gabby: 3, switch chats!

[Group Chat With Avery, Gabby, and Lia]
Avery: Jerk? Stupid? Pathetic? Moron? Some friend you are...
Lia: No, no, no, correction: the plan is pathetic and Ava is a moron, not you! 

[Private Chat Between Gabby and Lia]
Gabby: Psst, Lia! Not helping...just tell her you're sorry and shouldn't have said those things! And we can all be BFF's again!
Lia: She's the one with the problem, not me! I won't apologize if I'm not actually sorry!
Gabby: But if you do, there won't be anymore drama! I'll...

A Texting Story Part 3

[Private Chat Between Gabby and Lia]
Gabby: It's not serious enough to tell a teacher, right?...
Lia: Girl, d'you wanna get hated on for being a snitch? No, let's not get teachers involved.
Gabby: I guess you're right... Maybe we should confront her?
Lia: I dunno TBH. I mean she hasn't really done anything yet---
Gabby: Except for bribe a girl to tell her something that isn't even her business? 
Lia: That's true, but personally, I think we should wait. If she does something else like that, we'll confront her. 
Gabby: Agreed.

[Group Chat With Avery, Gabby, and Lia]
Gabby: So, Avery. Um, what d'you wanna do this weekend?
Lia: Yeah, anything fun?
Avery: YES! Glad you asked. I have a whole plan about the Kelly-Maria-Zara-Lily thing!
Gabby: I- Erm, what's your "plan"?
Avery: I overheard Maria and Lily agreeing to meet together at the park after school on Friday. They apparently wanted to discuss the Zara-double-agenting problem, and their...

Letter to my Five Year Old Self

Dear Five Year Old Self,
I have a few (ha! who am I kidding? I mean a lot) to tell you, so listen up. Firstly, STAY AWAY FROM DRAMA. Mainly, [name censored]. That girl is so toxic, people should wear face masks when they're within six feet of her.
Speaking of face masks, there's also a crazy killer virus that's gonna be on the rampage in 2020. Schools and businesses will shut down and the economy will crash, and worst of all, your annual vacation to Taiwan will be cancelled! Yes, you read that right. It'll be cancelled. Oof times infinity. 2020 is not a great year.
And just so you know, when mom and dad take you to get glasses in a couple years, don't choose the pink one with unicorns on them. I get chills just thinking about those. Get the cute vintage gold ones with thin frames. I guess it doesn't really matter though, because you'll...

A Texting Story Part 2

[Private Chat Between Gabby and Lia]
Gabby: You know, sometimes I feel a little bad talking about people behind their backs.
Lia: TBH, me too. I don't love drama or gossip as much as Avery does.
Gabby: Same. Oh wait. Let's go on group chat with her. She's texting there.
Lia: Okay

[Group Chat With Avery, Gabby, and Lia]
Avery: Hello?
Avery: Guys? Your status says you're active
Avery: Did I do something wrong? Are you giving me the silent treatment???
Lia: Chill Avery. I, uh, left the messages tab open on my laptop. That's why it said I was active.
Gabby: Um, yeah me too.
Avery: Oh, okay phew! Well, I'm glad your here. You'll never guess what I found out!
Gabby: What?
Lia: What?
Avery: Ok, well I did some digging and talking to Maria and Zara's friend, Lily. And I got her to tell me that one: yes, Maria is planning on revenge and two: Lily thinks...

A Texting Story

Part 1
Avery: OMG the drama today...
Lia: IKR!
Gabby: Y'all needa chill. It wasn't that bad
Avery: .......
Lia: ......
Gabby: Alright, you got me. Who am I kidding? It was that bad.
Avery: LOL! I mean, the look on Maria's face when Kelly called her a backstabber
Lia: I heard Maria told Zara she was getting revenge
Gabby: *gasp* You're kidding! Maria and Zara are way too nice to do anything to Kelly.
Avery: Oh, please. They're not saints. Everyone has a tipping point ;)
Lia: Ooh, this could get nasty
Gabby: And I wanna be here for every last second of it
Avery: Now you're talking!

Speechwriting Competition 2020

Together

Almost 8 billion people on this planet. 8 BILLION! Enough to circle the earth 190+ times if we all line up! Imagine what we could do... if only we worked together in harmony. If we didn't hurt each other. If we respected each other. If we listened to each other. There's so, so, so much we could do. Together. We need one another. Next time before you get angry at hearing an opinion that you disagree with, just remember that no two snowflakes are the same and no two humans are the same. That’s no coincidence. Consider the other person’s perspective first. Maybe they intend well and want their opinions to help you. Diversity is a fact.

Find some common ground to work together and build on that. I’m sure you can barbecue together with someone from a different political party... You could plant a tree, rescue puppies, or clean up a park with a person from a different religion...

Speechwriting Competition 2020

Together