A. Penderwick

She/her/hers

You can call me Meli :)

Reader
Writer
Actor
Singer
Dancer
(inefficient) baker
Ranter
Feminist
...plus a lot of other things too

You matter, you are deserving, and you are enough.

Feedback is always appreciated!
If you'd like a review, leave a comment on one of my pieces and I'll get to it as soon as I can.
I really love writing reviews, so definitely let me know if you need one!

I wish I could write more often, but I'm busy(and also a master procrastinator, even if it's doing something I love!)

I currently have 1 ongoing series called Dangerous Writing. It's where I'll publish a couple quick writes, and it's fun(albeit a little random). This is a series that doesn't follow a plot, so you don't have to read them in order.

I love to read, and I love book recs- giving them and receiving them(do with that what you will)

Currently Reading: Charming As a Verb(just read Legendborn- SO GOOD!)

Peer Reviews

Hamilton: The Revolution in This Century

PROMPT: Film/TV Series Review Competition 2021

Like I said, this is such a great review, and these comments are only here to help you make it better. Feel free to reject any suggestions that don't fit your vision or how you want the piece, it's really all up to you. I mentioned this earlier, but my only big piece of advice is to talk about the actual quality of the movie a little more, otherwise, I think this is fantastic, and super impressive for a first draft. Almost all of my comments are really little things, you nailed this. I hope the review helps, and good luck with the comp! HAMILFANS UNITE!

10 days

college admissions essay? (please review, this is so important to me!)

First and foremost, I want to say that this is amazing. Secondly, I'd like to clarify something. I'm an incoming freshman in 9th grade, not entering college, so I have no idea of what the whole college applications process is like. I haven't even begun to learn about what makes a good college essay, and I have no idea what I want to study. Because of that, I probably won't have the best insights on this, but I wanted to review it, because any feedback helps. Please take my advice with a grain of salt, because I really don't know what I'm talking about, and it's already so great already. Amazing job, I hope that there's maybe a nugget of good advice in here, and I also hope you have an amazing college experience, wherever you go!

about 1 month

Bird Poop

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2021

Don't feel pressured to take any of the suggestions, they're just there to help. I hope this was helpful in some sense, and good luck with the competition!

about 2 months

Crossing Over

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2021

Feel free to take or leave these suggestions as you see fit; you're the writer, and this is all up to you. Again, I really love this piece, and I hope the review helps. Good luck in the competition!

about 2 months

Happiness is Dye

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2021

Feel free to take or leave any of the suggestions; you're the writer, and you know what's best. I hope this helped in some way, and good luck with the competition!

about 2 months

Remember that day?

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2021

Feel free to take or leave any of the suggestions I gave you; you're the writer, and you should do what you feel is best for the piece. My final piece of advice would be to read through this again and pay extra attention to the tenses, that's where things get a little muddled up. Is the story taking place at their weddings, and they are remembering graduation day? Or is it many, many years in the future, after both of these events? If you can make that a little clearer, I think the whole thing will come together beautifully. I tried to highlight a couple places where I was a little confused by the tenses, but I'm sure that it's all correct. So I would just reread it and make sure it makes sense to you, it very well may be just me who's confused. Like I said, this is a wonderful story already, and I hope these suggestions help. Let me know if you have any questions/thoughts, and have a wonderful day!

about 2 months

Her Eyes and Your Eyes

I hope this review helped, and I hope it didn't seem too harsh. You've really written a beautiful poem, and I don't want to seem like I don't love it, because I do. Feel free to take or leave the suggestions; it's your poem, you're the writer, so you know what's best. I was itching to review something, and this felt like the perfect piece, so that's why this review is a little random, but I hope it helps. Amazing job, and have a wonderful day/night!

about 2 months

Be Like a Snowflake

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

Feel free to take or leave any suggestions I provided. This was so fun to read, and a pleasure to review! Like I said, I don't play sports, so I'm sorry I couldn't weigh in on any of that, but it seemed like you knew what you were talking about. I really didn't have a ton of suggestions, because I think this piece is very polished and clean already, but I hope this helps anyways. Best of luck!

3 months

Pucks vs. Toe Picks: How Artistic Sports are Treated Differently

PROMPT: Sports Writing Competition 2021

One thing I'd look at in this piece would be the balance between the anecdotes and the more factual part of your argument. Like I said, I love the stories you start out with, but maybe they're a little too detailed? It's excellent writing, but since there is a word limit, I think some of those words could be better spent on quotes or facts. It's totally up to you, but I would look again and see what details are really necessary. The other thing is that some of the sentences are a little wordy. You still get your point across, but the wording is sometimes a little convoluted. This is something I struggle with too, and it's always hard to try to adjust that, but I think it's worth it. Especially in a piece like this, some shorter statements can really pack a punch, and help strengthen your argument. My last thought(and this is something I mention in one of the highlights, but I want to expand on it) is that I think you could talk some more about the sexism that informs this issue. I feel like it adds a whole other layer to the point you're making, and also makes it more universal, since all women have experienced sexism. Feel free to take or leave the suggestions, like I said, the piece is great as is. I hope this doesn't feel to critical, I was just really just trying to help you get this piece as clean and polished as it can be. I honestly can't say it enough, this piece really is amazing, and so is your writing. I really did not think I would review, or even read any of the sports writing pieces, because, like I said, not my thing, but you really drew me in.

3 months

Mach1ne | A-Review-For-A-Review

PROMPT: Science Fiction Competition 2021

unknown

In the wake of the storm

unknown

The Masquerade Pt. 1

I started reviewing this a while ago, when I first introduced you to the site. I decided to finish the review and send it in, because feedback is always helpful. The things I highlighted were mostly just typos/formatting things. Because it's a script, there are some places where it gets confusing to read, and I think using bolding/italicizing will help with that. This is a really great piece, and I can't wait to see where you go with it. I can't wait to see all the awesome things you write on here!

4 months

A Piece of Pie

This is such a fun poem, and was really fun to review! I know the review is a little out of the blue, but I just have a tendency to do that, and thought this piece looked so fun. It's amazing, and I hope this review was helpful, even just a little bit! :)

4 months

Food Is For Family

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

This really is an amazing piece. I left in a bunch of suggestions, mostly places where you could reword things, but of course, you can take and leave these as you please. I hope this review is helpful, and I wish you best of luck with the compeition! Hey, just realized that I wrote this but never submitted it(face palm). Really sorry about that. I'm gonna send it in anyways, and at this point it's probably too late, but maybe the general feedback can help for the future? Anyways, I'm so sorry that this won't make it in time, but it is a really great piece, and I'm sure it's just gotten better.

4 months

murder is a strong word

PROMPT: Mid-May Grab Bag

This is such an incredible piece, and I'm not sure if I was fully able to express my amazement at this piece of writing. I also do get that the prompt was to write a 200 word story, and you're probably just about at the cap now, so you most likely don't have as much room to add a bunch of detail. Ido think teh piece works even better when it's shorter, because it just sorta punches you in the gut and leaves you with this wide-eyed feeling. Amazing job!

4 months

Plant-Based Meat: A Healthier Alternative or a Blatant Scam?

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2021

Amazing job, I hope this review helps, and best of luck with the competition!

5 months

An Idea

I think this is such a strong idea, and you could totally run with it. I'd love to see this as a longer poem, but it could also work as a shorter tidbit, like it is now. I apologize for this review being so late: I read the piece a while ago and wanted to review it, but kept forgetting. I hope this helps, and if you do do something more with this, please let me know, I'd love to read it.

5 months

The Little Girl I Left Behind

PROMPT: Poetry and Spoken Word Competition: 2021

This review is a little out of the blue, but I saw your opening line and just HAD to review it. It's such a good piece. I hope this review is at least a little bit helpful. Just some final thoughts; I don't know what the word limit is for this, and I don't know if you want to purposefully keep it a certain length, but don't be afraid to expand on this. It's wonderful as is, but there are so many nooks and crannies you could explore with this piece. I would also really think about the mood here. I like the shift between dark and haunting to a little lighter and simpler, but if you want to keep that dark air throughout, then I might reword things a little, to make it seem really mysterious.

6 months

On American Values

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

This really is great, and I hope my comments helped. Best of luck in the competition!

7 months

Turn the Camera This Way, Please: Media Coverage For Female Athletes

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2021

This truly is wonderful, and I'm so excited to see this piece progress. I mentioned quite a few places where I think it would make sense to add a bit more, but you really don't need it. It's such a powerful piece already. As for tone and flow, I think the tone is very good, it's powerful and persuasive. I think there are moments where you can make it a little more personal, to add to the argument. Your flow was really good, you transition from each paragraph very nicely, and nothing really feels jarring or out of place.

7 months

Nobody

PROMPT: Dream Big

This is so good already, and feel free to take or leave my suggestions as you feel fit. There's really nothing wrong with this piece, I just wanted to write a review.

7 months

A Magical New Story | A-Review-For-A-Review!

PROMPT: Song Writing Competition 2021

I am not a song writer by any means, and don't really know what I'm talking about, so feel free to take everything I said with a grain of salt. I just figured the more input, the better. I know this is a review for review, but I don't have a submission yet, so you don't need to leave me a review. I'm really excited to see how this turns out, good luck!

8 months

Jesus Changed my Life (scholarship application) (need reviews)

I left a lot of comments just pointing out places where you could add more detail, but, of course, you don't need to follow all of them. I understand that you have a word limit, and can only add so much, but I think the more you can add, the better. This is really great already, and I applaud you for sharing such a personal story. I wish you the best of luck with this scholarship!

8 months

This is such a beautiful poem, and I loved reading it. I hope my comments aren't to harsh, because I really did adore this poem! The main thing that felt off for me was just the clunkiness of the couplets, because it felt like it didn't really serve the poem. Of course, if you have some intention behind that, please leave it in, I think some of this just may be the way I'm hearing it in my head. The imagery is truly stunning, though, and I love the concept of this poem.

10 months

Write Your Way Out

PROMPT: Creative Nonfiction Competition 2020

unknown

Mother's Words

PROMPT: November Grab Bag

This was excellent! Your poem is short and simple, but really drives home the point. I loved reviewing this, and it's a great piece. It's amazing already, and you really don't have to take nay of my suggestions. This is a beautiful poem, and I loved how you used the prompt.

10 months

Dust Jacket Prompt

PROMPT: Dust Jacket

This was great! I left a bunch of comments, mostly pointing out places where you could add more detail, but I think this is great as it is! Feel free to accept/reject my suggestions depending on what you want for this piece. I did really enjoy reading this, and now I'm going to read some more of your work. :)

10 months

Putting My Life Back Together

unknown

Hope (PLEASE REVEIW!!!)

This is a great poem! I think there are a few places where you could do some work, but overall, it's really lovely. Your language is incredible, and it really makes the reader think. I gave you a few suggestions, but it's up to you whether you want to take them or not. I think this is a great poem, and I'd love to see what it looks like as you keep imporving it.

10 months

Chance For A Life

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2020

Is this part of a novel you're writing? Or one you've been thinking about writing? I'm just curious as to where this idea comes from. There were a few typos, which I totally get, because I have so many typos in my writing all the time, but I highlighted those so you can go back and fix them. If you have a chance, would you review my piece for this competition? It's called Sisters, and feedback would be so helpful!

11 months

The Trick

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Hi, Emma. I figured I might as well review this, so here ya go! Also, I'm realizing that this is very late, and that the competition is long over, but, I wanted to review something and hadn't done any of your pieces yet. I'm curious, what's your word count for this one? If you have a few words left, you might be able to play around with this a little more. Your writing is excellent, you do a great job with the emotions and descriptions in this one. With that said, it's not as clear as it could be. I think if you made some oft he descriptions more concise, and added more details and clues to what's happening, you might have a better story. All in all though, this is really excellent.

12 months

Mixed Reactions

Great job! This piece is very understandable, and empathetic. I love that you put this out there for people to read. I know I've said this a lot, but the piece is just so honest, and I really love that. I would suggest changing the title. Even though the title is Mixed Reactions, the reactions you talk about seem to be about the same. Maybe something about the community of WtW? Or possibly something relating to the fear of judgement you talk about?

12 months

Together

PROMPT: All Talk

You did an excellent job with this prompt. You gave us enough information that we can make some inferences about what's going on, but left out enough details that we're still curious after reading. I do think that after reading it a few times and analyzing it, I could make a pretty solid inference. Some of my original thoughts were divorce, or death from an illness that he'd had for a while. After reading it a few times, my guess is that he died in a car accident, or some other freak accident. You did a great job handling the emotions in this piece.

12 months

When It All Comes Down To This.

This was a beautiful and inspiring piece. I felt the need to go out and change the world somehow. I also love how the poem doesn't necessarily provide specifics on what the narrator is doing, which makes it applicable to many different situations. I think it depicts both the struggles of trying to make a difference in the world, but also the hopefulness of that.

12 months

I am a writer

PROMPT: YOU, The Writer

Great poem! I think it's done really well, and gives insight not only to the thoughts going through your head as you write, but also the way that you take those thoughts and form them into words. Your poetry is beautiful, and works really well for this prompt.

about 1 year