Coffee001

Stars

Cody was laid on his bed, listening to the call.

“—And so I don’t know, Cody.” The woman on the other side sighed. “That’s pretty much it. That’s why I’m calling, because I honestly don’t know what to do. What do you think? You’ve always been there for me.” His throat felt dry, and his first response cracked and ended. The clock in his room ticked, and all was silent.

“Cody?” the woman asked quietly. He snapped out of it.

“Bianca!” he started, wincing at the intensity of his voice. “I think…” he said quietly, swallowing lightly. “I think you should do it,” he whispered. “Give him a chance.” The woman stayed silent. She sighed breathily. Cody waited. Then she laughed.

“You’re right,” she exhaled happily. Cody’s heart dropped to his stomach. “I’ve been thinking way too much.” He clenched a fist in his blanket. “Thank you Cody, you’re my best friend,...

Historical Fiction Competition 2020

A Small Matter

Robert’s nails dug into straw as he watched his brother’s feeble form. His brother’s chest slowly rose and fell, Robert’s stomach churning in rhythm. He frowned. 

“Com’ on, James! It ain’ nothin’! What’d a you sleeping around for?” Rasps. Deep, guttural rasps that made Robert’s skin crawl. No 8-year-old sounded like that, let alone his little brother. He picked at a patch in his overalls and stared at his feet, wondering when his pa was coming back. It’d been three days already! He shook his head and stood up, looming over his dumb little brother. He sneered at him. “Fine, then! I’ll fix youse up myself!” He walked over to his small section of the room and snuck a hand under a crack behind the wall. He kept fiddling until he’d hit something; he grinned and pulled out his life savings. It was two quarters and a penny. He whistled in appreciation, making his way...

Historical Fiction Competition 2020

A Small Matter

Robert’s nails dug into straw as he watched his brother’s slumbering form. His brother’s frail chest slowly rose and fell, Robert’s stomach churning in rhythm. He frowned. 

“Com’ on, James! It ain’ nothin’! What’d a you sleeping around for?” Rasps. Deep, guttural rasps that made James’ skin crawl. No 8-year-old sounded like that, let alone his little brother. He picked at a patch in his overalls and stared at his feet, wondering when his pa was coming back.  It’d been three days already! He shook his head and stood up, looming over his dumb little brother. He sneered at him. “Fine, then! I’ll fix youse up myself!” He walked over to his small section of the room and snuck a hand under a crack behind the wall. He kept fiddling until he’d hit something; he grinned and pulled out his life savings. It was two quarters and a penny. He whistled in appreciation, making his way out the door,...