jj1325

I am a student with big dreams and ambition, who enjoys writing for fun. Any constructive criticism or positive feedback is always welcome!

"If your dreams don't scare you they aren't big enough." -Unknown

Becoming Human

glass heart, glass doors, and the Iron Bannister

The boy leaned over the iron bannister,
--- But only to me was he just a boy ---
He looked out into the darkness.
The grey sky concealed the stars,
And he stood slouched and broken
For the first time he seemed
Vulnerable.

I had watched him before,
Watched from the edge of the glass paneled door,
Fluttering in the wind.
Spying on the boy -- my boy--.
He stood by the iron bannister often,
Looking out at the sky, the stars, the moon,

His back turned to his kingdom:
His responsibilities.

I had watched him before.
The years had passed,
Dust had collected beneath me.  
But I was there,
Always.

I had seen all his failures,
But they talked only about his triumphs,
And I couldn’t say anything
About how he wasn’t perfect,
And he struggled too,
Just like everyone else.

I would flutter in the wind as they aired out the room,
And they would talk:
As...

Everyday Magic

Her Little Fairy

Her little girl believed in fairies. She talked about the sun fairy and the waterfall fairy; the dew drop fairy and the grass fairy; there was a fairy for every one of nature's creations -- there was even a love fairy. The girl's father had instilled the belief of mythical people into the little girl but the mother had never dared to believe in fairies until the day she danced. 
***************   
     The little girl and her mother walked down a beaten dirt path in the early morning. The dew still fresh on the grass, the sun had just risen.  
    The sun danced in the little girl's hair as she twirled and spun, and the morning dew sparkled on the grass. The little girl suddenly stopped and looked around. She looked up at the blue, blue sky, and smiled as a bird flew past. 
    The mother stopped and looked at her girl. The little...

Becoming Human

The boy leaned over the iron bannister,
He looked out into the darkness.
The grey sky concealed the stars,
And he stood slouched and broken
For the first time he seemed
Vulnerable.

I had watched him before,
Fluttering in the wind.
Spying on the boy -- my boy--.
He stood by the iron bannister often,

His back turned to his kingdom:
His responsibilities.

I had watched him before.
The years had passed,
Dust had collected beneath me.  
But I was there,
Always.

I had seen all his failures,
And I couldn’t say anything
About how he wasn’t perfect,
And he struggled too,
Just like everyone else.

And they would talk:
As...

One Sentence Story

Before I Leave

They were coming for me, but before I left I had to make sure she was okay, so I packed my bags and took a one way trip to where it all began. 

10 Second Essays

MY World Truths in a List

Ten things I know to be True

1. Reading a good book clears your mind. It is almost impossible to put the book down after.
2. "Personal happiness lies in knowing that life is not a checklist of acquisition or achievement." ~J.K. Rowling
3. Thanksgiving isn't thanksgiving without Football, playing it and watching it.
4. Leggings are far more comfortable than sweat pants.
5. Sunday dinner=homemade pasta.
6. Sitting next to a bonfire under a starry night sky, roasting marshmallows, laughing with friends and family, is the best feeling ever.
7. Spending summer days in a boat on Lake Champlain is the definition of a summer well spent.
8. Eating a tomato in a garden with the smell of basil wafting up your nose is an amazing taste and smell.
9. It is impossible to go to Italy and not eat too much gelato (if there were such thing as too much gelato).
10. Life is difficult, complicated, and frustrating...

All Talk

The Choices we Make

What do you mean?
I mean I had I no choice.
No choice?
Yes, no choice. 
You always have a choice, and you should know that better than anyone.
I had no options! It was join or be killed. 
And now you will be killed in battle.
I will die with honor.
You will die fighting alongside the very man you swore to destroy. 
Desperate times call for desperate measures. 
No, times like these call for us to stay strong to who we are, not become the ones we claim to hate. 
You don't understand, I didn't have a choice. 
I understand perfectly. We both have changed, one of us has become strong and the other has become weak.
I hope you are implying that you are the weak one.
What happened to us? We were best friends... and now you are nothing but my brother. We share nothing but blood. 
We are still what we were! You just...

Illumination

Pride and Hazel Eyes

He ran down the hall, books slipping out of his hands, his dirty-blonde hair was sticking up at all ends and a proud grin adorned his face. He suddenly came to a halt and directed his hazel eyes at me, then proudly stated, "Guess what JJ! I got an O+ on my math test!" 

Everyday Magic

Her Little Fairy

Her little girl believed in fairies. She talked about the sun fairy and the waterfall fairy; the dew drop fairy and the grass fairy; there was a fairy for every one of nature's creations -- there was even a love fairy. The girl's father had instilled the belief of mythical people into the little girl, the mother had never dared to believe in fairies until the day she danced. 
***************   
    The mother stopped and looked at her girl. The little one...

Quartet

High-Heels

I remember the day she left. She flipped her soft brown hair behind her shoulder, and smirked. Her gold eyes twinkling with mischief and intelligence, as she walked backwards out the door. Her heels clicking behind her. 
I still remember the echoing sound of her high-heels as she walked down the hallway from my apartment; it is permanently etched into my mind. 

All Talk

The Choices we Make

What do you mean?
I mean I had I no choice.
No choice?
Yes, no choice. 
And now you will be killed in battle.
I will die with honor.
I understand perfectly. We have both have changed, one of us has become strong and the other has become weak.
We are still what we were! You...

Open Prompt

But It Was Home

It was loud, hot, and crowded, but it was home. The stiff white couch under me was uncomfortable and scratchy, yet there were so many childhood memories that were linked to the “booby couch”. My six cousins’ laughter surrounded me, and everyone was talking over each other. The adults wandered around talking; I could easily pin-point Zio Fred, his loud voice made him recognizable in any crowd. The smell of Christmas lasagna, and the sound of arguing sisters drifted into the living room from the kitchen. I heard my Nonno screaming at my uncles for ‘cheating’ in the Italian Card Game, “Scopa”, and I chuckled.
    As I laughed, my cousin turned to face me, and raised an eyebrow. I smirked at Bianca, and pointed in the direction of the kitchen, the source of my amusement. Understanding what I was pointing at, Bianca rolled her brown eyes, laughed, and then turned back to the conversation, and responded to our other...