Img 2794 %281%29

Nika

With all of the craziness happening in the world right now, writing is like a paradise. You can create the world you wish existed in reality. You don't have to think, fear, worry- about what happens today.

When it comes to writing, remember to focus on who you are and your core values. It is possible to emulate other styles, but everyone has a unique voice, and that voice should always appear in your writing. :)

Img 2794 %281%29

Nika (United States) published:

The Man in the Mirror

PROMPT: Turned to Stone

An odd silence filled the empty house as the man stared himself in the mirror. He lived in isolation, which he had strove to do for years. Running a comb through his graying hair, he suddenly froze, his eyes locked before him in horror. A dark hand reached out from the thick glass, wrapping it's pointed fingers around his slender throat. The hand gave a light squeeze, earning a small squeak from the man, and then retracted, pulling...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 2794 %281%29

Nika (United States) published:

Nightmares

PROMPT: Lyrics Unsung

"They're coming creeping from the corner and all I know is that I don't feel safe. I feel the tapping on my shoulder, I turn around in an alarming state, But am I losing my mind? I really think so. Not a creature in sight. But, what you don't know, Is that my breathing gets faster and so does my heartbeat. I wish this was over, I wish that this was a dream but - I created a monster, a...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 2794 %281%29

Nika (United States) published:

Pink Chair

PROMPT: I Remember

I remember sitting in papa's small, coffee-bean-brown farmhouse. I remember the family around me, staring at me expectantly. I also remember plunging my tiny toddler-sized hand into a small concrete stepping stone, decorated it, and presented it to my father. I remember papa's cat, kitty, who I always tried to chase down, the same cat who lives with us today. I don't remember being at the hospital, crying to see papa as he lied in his bed, as my father,...

Img 2794 %281%29
Popular penman

Nika (United States) earned a badge Popular Penman

Img 2794 %281%29
1
1

Nika (United States) published:

Bismarck Cake

PROMPT: Unbelievable Food

I remember from childhood birthdays and celebrations a sweet, fresh cake that my family would clamor around the table to taste. We called it a Bismarck cake. Not named after the place, but after the sweet, sugary, jelly filled donuts we would purchase in bakeries.

So I suppose it's time to explain how one prepares this fruity dessert.

First, choose a base of cake. It's really up to you what kind of cake you prefer for this. A white cake,...

Img 2794 %281%29

Nika (United States) liked Me and Myself by Rome (United States)

Img 2794 %281%29

Nika (United States) published:

Before the Blaze

PROMPT: What Came Before

I felt any control I had left leave my body as I lovingly poured the gasoline around the building. Did I hate these people? Yeah. Yeah I really did. I began taking slow, measured steps as I rounded the building, continuing to pour the pungent liquid on the concrete. These people messed up my life. They took my family and murdered my little sister. They kept my twin brother locked up in this building too- he was all...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 2794 %281%29
1
1

Nika (United States) published:

Darkness of the Mind

PROMPT: WILD

It's uncontrollable and wild when it bubbles up in my chest
Pushing into my ears, my throat, my tongue, it destroys my thought
It murders my reason

Oh anger, it's such a pungent feeling that swirls inside
Unable to be tamed, understood, rationalized
Yet some people can mute it

Anger goes by different names, it wears different disguises
In the end we all harbor it, hiding deep in our hearts
Difficult to find

Bitterness, sadness, desperation, rage
Those are a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 2794 %281%29
707

Nika (United States) started following SierraSmith (United States)

Img 2794 %281%29

Nika (United States) liked School by SierraSmith (United States)

Turned to Stone

The Man in the Mirror

An odd silence filled the empty house as the man stared himself in the mirror. He lived in isolation, which he had strove to do for years. Running a comb through his graying hair, he suddenly froze, his eyes locked before him in horror. A dark hand reached out from the thick glass, wrapping it's pointed fingers around his slender throat. The hand gave a light squeeze, earning a small squeak from the man, and then retracted, pulling him into the mirror.

"Yes! Congratulations on your new home. I should warn you though... the last person who lived here mysteriously disappeared."
"Oh, it's alright. I'm perfectly aware of what happened."

Lyrics Unsung

Nightmares

"They're coming creeping from the corner and all I know is that I don't feel safe. I feel the tapping on my shoulder, I turn around in an alarming state, But am I losing my mind? I really think so. Not a creature in sight. But, what you don't know, Is that my breathing gets faster and so does my heartbeat. I wish this was over, I wish that this was a dream but - I created a monster, a hell within my head. Nowhere to go, I'm out on my own. Oh I'm so scared. I created a monster, a beast inside my brain - I've nowhere to go, I'm out on my own My mind impaired. Awake me from my nightmare."

It was beautiful, dew dripping from the smooth, shining leaves and pooling in the center of light, velvety flowers. They're surrounding me, drawing me in, singing my name, asking me to come closer, their thin...

I Remember

Pink Chair

I remember sitting in papa's small, coffee-bean-brown farmhouse. I remember the family around me, staring at me expectantly. I also remember plunging my tiny toddler-sized hand into a small concrete stepping stone, decorated it, and presented it to my father. I remember papa's cat, kitty, who I always tried to chase down, the same cat who lives with us today. I don't remember being at the hospital, crying to see papa as he lied in his bed, as my father, mother, and grandfather took me home, begging to stay, seeming to know what would come. I don't remember the last time I saw him, or the last words he said to me, but...

I remember sitting in the small, coffee-bean-brown farmhouse, in the sunny front room. Sitting with papa in the big pink chair.
    And I'll carry that with me for the rest of my life.

Unbelievable Food

Bismarck Cake

First, choose a base of cake. It's really up to you what kind of cake you prefer for this. A white cake, yellow cake, or a sponge cake would work best to get the familiar Bismarck taste. Simply look up a recipe you want for this, but one warning, if you choose sponge cake, it tends to dry out far easier than other cakes!

While baking the cake, or after baking it, it's time to make a sweet raspberry filling, like the jelly filling in a Bismarck donut. Take around 1.5-2 cups of raspberries, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup...

What Came Before

Before the Blaze

I felt any control I had left leave my body as I lovingly poured the gasoline around the building. Did I hate these people? Yeah. Yeah I really did. I began taking slow, measured steps as I rounded the building, continuing to pour the pungent liquid on the concrete. These people messed up my life. They took my family and murdered my little sister. They kept my twin brother locked up in this building too- he was all I had left in my life to keep me anchored. But they took everything from me... My biggest regret is that I know I deserve it.

Ten. That's how old I turned when they took my mother and father to federal prison for a crime they did not commit. That day we were sitting in a circle on an old rug we kept in our run down apartment. My whole family was there- mom, dad, my twin brother...

WILD

Darkness of the Mind

It murders my reason

Yet some people can mute it

Difficult to find

Bitterness, sadness, desperation, rage
Those are a sampling of the forms it takes
Inside of me

I guess I call it the darkness inside
It gives a term to all the forms it takes
Yet can never fully cover it

Anger, my greatest enemy, my perfect villain
Why do we fight so often, so viciously
Why cannot we coexist?

Villainous Behaviors

“Knock knock… miss me?” a voice echoed through the door, smooth and menacing. The handle clicked open quietly, and a figure shrouded in darkness glided inside without another word. His grey sneakers squeaked across the dark oak floors, and paused once he reached the living room. His amber eyes found the plain white couch, the large wooden desk, and the small coffee table in the room. There were few paintings or pictures in the room, making it seem all the more cold and empty. He glanced up as the floor creaked from another room.
“Come to try and evict me again? You’re a piss poor landlord.” a young woman chirped up, striding around a corner in a long black coat. Her laugh lines were nonexistent, and her chilled eyes held no joy. She locked gaze with the intruder, and he finally pulled down his sweatshirt’s hood, releasing his dark, scraggly hair. He gazed around the small apartment looking vaguely unimpressed...

Alone

Alone. Isn't it a sad little word? Doesn't it remind you of desperation, or of depression? I have to refute this. Alone doesn't have to mean negativity, or darkness. No, alone means hope. Why does alone have to be such a horrid concept? I (and many personality tests) find there's two types of people. There are those who recharge through socialization, and those who recharge through being solitary. I am of the latter party.
    Being alone- it's almost magical for people like me. Nothing but your thoughts echo through your mind, and you can recompose yourself. There's no worrying over outside perceptions, no stress of 'impressing' others or living up to their expectations. When you're alone, you can just be you, and you can love yourself that way.
    Nothing but the sound of thoughts and music... it's what the dreams of a so called 'introvert' are made of.

Becoming Human

Arms of Light

The bright lights twinkled above,
Familiar and homely as they hung in the sky,
Their arms of light floated gently to the ground,
Illuminating my path as I stumbled on by.

The stars sung loudly in the open air,
And for me they had a special line.
'Please child, come listen here,
It is you today, not us, who will shine.'

I turned my head up to the dark sky,
'But I feel like nothing in another's eyes,'
I whispered as they swirled up high,
'So why tell me such lies?'

Alas no more did the stars speak,
As their light began fading away,
Leaving me sighing with the sunrise,
Preparing to face another day.

1 Photo, 100 Words

Little Jellies

For the fifth time, I crossed paths with the jellyfish exhibit. Few people surrounded the tank today, besides the aquarium tour group. It was beautiful to watch the fragile, wispy jellies float through the water. Mesmerised, a tug on my grey-knit sweater brought me to reality. I turned, finding my little brother peering at me. He pointed at the big tank, at the gentle jellies that wafted by the glass, and stepped closer to me.
“It’s okay little guy. They’re jellyfish.” They, much like him, were silent. Voiceless. Mute. Yet they were still beautiful, unique, and amazing… Just like him.

The Midnight Journal

Foreword:
My advice to those reading this: start running. Head down, arms pulled back, don’t you dare look back. The moment you look back, you’re good as gone. I promise you others aren’t far behind
It seems you’ve somehow gotten to my journal, a feat I hoped to be impossible. Below you will find my life story, my discoveries, and my advice for how to continue with the information within this journal. You’ve obviously worked, and researched, cried and bled to get here, and I hope you will use my findings for good, like I hoped to do. One more thing, I hope you’re good with facts, because of those I have written plenty.
On that note, let me begin.
My name is Harley Latrice Searshing. I was born April 19, 3047, in the dingy Lackshire district on the Republic of Mars International. For my entire youth, I lived in a small home with my mother and older brother Prometheus,...

The Town of Dreary

She walked with a purpose, her strides long and purposeful. She knew where her goal was, and she was going to reach it- even if it killed her. The town was quiet, except for some bored-looking street performers who idly juggled flaming objects. Flaming torches, flaming knives, flaming cans of gasoline- these were a few of their wares. Small crowds gathered around the performers, throwing coins into a hat, can, or carton that sat on the ground. The girl paid no attention to these fools, as they were commonplace in this town. She was born and raised here, in the congested streets that were hidden behind short, old buildings. This place was where dreams went to die. Where people went to die. Where passions went to die.

She was one of the few who actually felt purposeful in this run-down old town.

The farther she went into the city, the more people were found. Some stood on folding chairs, begging...

Study Hall Stories 1

The leaves crunched beneath my feet, echoing around the valley. Behind me was thousands of orange and yellow and red trees, leaves beginning to slip from their weathered branches. The grass was glowing with a fresh frost, and a frigid breeze began to blow through the forest. Before me was green- leaves, grass, bushes, with butterflies flitting about. Pausing, I took one last look behind me. How was I supposed to argue with my life, my job? This is what I've done, forever and always. I stepped forward, each step turning acres of grass into brittle, frozen icicles. I entered the next forest, and the second I did, leaves began to cascade from above, the bushes withering from the cold, and the fragile, wispy butterflies dropping to the ground, frozen. Some would have found this spectacle beautiful, glorious, and oh so natural, but I could only feel disgust and hatred.
    Now reader, I would assume some image of Jack Frost...

The Town of Dreary

Invisible Cities

Realtà

Realtà is the city of reality, of what is and will be. You cannot see Realtà, you cannot touch it, you cannot even know it exists. The world we see today is nothing but a facade for Realtà, for Realtà is the true reality. The desk you see in your reality, could be a log, or a stone in Realtà. What you eat in your reality is not the same in Realtà. Realtà is reality, but not perception. Your reality covers Realtà. It gives it a glorified image.
    Realtà is the mental issue of believing in something you cannot see, you cannot touch, you cannot hear. Realtà is your world, but your world is not Realtà.
    Every pencil you pick up in your world could be a bone, a twig, or a rock in Realtà. Realtà is like an alternate reality, except you are still yourself, as are your friends, as are your family.
    We shall never...

Dusty Light

"HUSTLE BOY!" The rugged, stern voice rang through my ears. Rain poured from the sky, and thunder rumbled in the distance. The desert was dark and cold, and nothing but dunes could be seen for miles. Shaking my head of daydreams which I fancied to have control my mind, I hurried to catch up to the line. I was at the end, and was about 20 feet from the group. As I picked up speed, I felt my foot resist moving forward. A cry escaped my throat as I tripped on my shoe lace and fell forward into the harsh, soaked, sands. I lifted my head slowly, blowing my brown hair out of my eyes. I saw a few boys towards the end of the line laughing and pointing at me. I tried to ignore the heat I felt rising into my cheeks, the water in my eyes, the embarrassment. I dropped my head back to the ground, letting land...

Never the Last

I was known for having a cold heart. I was known for my dark soul. I was known for violence, anger, bitterness... but no one really knew. No one really cared. No one really understood why.

Chapter One: Scars that don't heal
"Jinx! Get up! I gotta go to school!" The thin, high voice squeaked from beside my bed. Groaning, I turned away from it, trying to shield the light that fought to shine into my eyes. 
"Jinx! Jinx? Are you okay?" The voice spoke again. I turned back over and opened my eyes, studying my my sister's young, innocent, face. Her blue eyes were full of youth and joy; Her smile was large and shining. She looked back at me cautiously, staring into my light grey eyes.
"I'll get up in a second... and I'm fine... just tired."
"Jinx, mom told you to not to..." She began, then sighed and shook her head. "Can't you make it easier...

Never the Last

Chapter One: Scars that don't heal

The Things They Carried

The Traveler

She had few possessions, which was fine by her. She was always on the move. All she carried was the clothes on her back and her bag. The bag was filled with some dried fruit, as it didn't spoil, some water bottles, a few books. She had two, thick, leather bound books, and she would always say they were to keep her mind alert. She had some rope and a picture of her little sister. She would always say she is looking for the right place, the right city, state, country... but she has never found it.

Dusty Light

A Tale of Two Treasures

Berkley
She stood alone, tapping at the glass of a display case, calling her friend over to take a look. Her friend Cara jogged over, earning a stern glare from one of the black-suited nerds elected to watch over the room. The museum had a moldy smell, and the air was thick with humidity. The place was disgusting- outfitted with sticky, wooden benches, dusty curtains in each room, dingy light fixtures, and cracked glass boxes. She came here everyday, just to study the artifacts from thousands of years ago. I never knew why.
She had moved into the 2000's, surveying old flat screen tv's with her crisp, green eyes. The tv's were cracked and dented from wear, and played scratched cd's upon their screens. Feya walked over to the old devices, tapping at the screen of an old "ipad," which had a web of splintered glass on one of the corners. Meanwhile, Cara was pulling her long, blonde hair into...

A Tale of Two Treasures

Berkley

A Tale of Two Treasures

Berkley

All Talk

The Cherry Trees

"...I didn't know."
​"I think you owe me some honesty at this point."
"What can I say? I didn't know that things would turn out this way. It's unfortunate, but is it really the end of the world?"
"..​."
"What? Say what you want, I don't care."
“I know you don’t. After what you’ve done.”
“I am not sure what you mean by that.”
“Your denial sickens me. You know what you’ve done. Look around you. Do you see the flames reaching up to grab at the branches of the cherry trees? Can you smell the smoke as it consumes the city? Do you still hear the screams echo in your ears?”
“I do believe that you are out of line.”
“You can’t kill me, and you can’t destroy me. I’m the one thing you can’t break without killing yourself.”
“I suppose, but have no fear. I’ll learn to block you out.”
“Your conscience? Ha.”
“You are weak. You could...

Quartet

Guarded

She was a cold, tough, guarded girl, and everyone knew it.  She never looked back, at destruction, love, friendship... She kept going forward. She dawned her long brown cloak with the green stitching proudly, and her tall, tan boots stretched up to her thighs. Her bow and quiver, both made of a strong, dark, maple wood were accented with silver swirls that danced across the weapon. Her hair, always tied up in a makeshift ponytail, barely touched her strong shoulders, and her green eyes were always alert and un-trusting.

Imagine This

The Field

Everything used to seem perfect for her- she had the job, the husband... Until it all fell apart. Losing her dad, forced to leave her husband, and the family lacking money to aid her.

He was a total player- engaged three times, once two-timing girls who lived across the hall from each other, and winning over others. He came from a humble family, not poor, not rich, just right.

She was forced to abandon her home, and find a new life. A new state, a new job, a new house.

He was just a country boy, and it seemed as though nothing could tie him down.

Friends, matchmakers, they brought the two together. Their differences joined them as one.

One day, in his truck, he brought her to a field. We will get married and live here one day, he said.

And they just did.

Imagine This

The Field

Friends, matchmakers, they brought the two together. Their differences brought them together.

And they just did.

Now there is a child, and now they live on that very field.

Everyday Magic

Nothing Yet Everything

Introduction: "Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick..." "SHUT UP ALREADY! MY TIME ISN'T UP YET!" "Holy crap Rana... you kinda killed your clock." My brother gawked at my hand as blood streamed from gashes in the soft skin of my palm. I shook my head and sighed. "Um... sorry dude. I... I should go." My chair scraped across the floor as I pushed away from the table where I was helping my brother with homework. Walking towards the door, I began to pick shards of glass out of my hand, wincing as each was removed. "Rana come back! I need help! Please?" Jonah, my brother threw his arms around me as I tried to open the door. I frowned and knelt in front of him, pulling him in for a hug. "Sorry Joe, I don't know where that came from. Just got real mad." "It's cool Rana! I'm gonna go try that math problem again!" he conjured a huge, jovial smile and raced back to the table, scribbling...

Spark

Once, there was nothing.

Then, was a spark.

A teeny, tiny, dim spark.

But within that spark,

Was a universe.

Earth.

Humans.

Elemental beings.

Elemental beings,

People who control fire, wind, nature, earth, water, electricity...

Fighting for their lives within that teeny,

Tiny,

Spark.

"Crap. Um, hey, help. Help. Uh... Where is Aquarius...?" A short redhead girl bit her lip as she stared at the flames growing on the dry grass. She sighed and ran into the quiet cabin, yelling for her friends. A few seconds later, another girl with steely grey eyes and light purple billowing hair walked into the clearing with a blonde, light blue eyed guy.
"Rius, looks like Iggy created a job for ya!" She giggled, and as she did so, her hair spiked up with static, which she frantically tried to suppress. Rius just laughed quietly and flooded the fire with clear water. He sighed and leaned against the wall as the girl began to...

In the Winter Cold

I blinked slowly, like what was before me would change. Sadly, it did not. My small fire was diminished to embers, and the extra wood I had collected was not yet dry. I felt the cold prickling at my skin, making it stand on end. In the small, dark cave, I gathered what I had left for kindling and struck flint and steel near it, and ignited a small flame. The cold was growing more ferocious, but was nothing compared to the hunger I felt clawing at my stomach. I shivered violently, shakes wracking through my thin frame. The flame grew hotter, and I knew my kindling would not stand for much longer. With a groan, I pushed myself towards the exit of the cave, or where it should have been. Instead, large boulders were stacked over the hole. I walked back to where my fire began to sputter and spark weakly. I gave up and threw one of the...

Everyday Magic

Nothing Yet Everything

In the Winter Cold

Everyday Magic

Nothing Yet Everything

Open Prompt

The Red Book

I sat on the bench, hearing the approaching sound of thunder ricocheting through the air, colliding with the gleeful screeching of small children. I sighed and got up to find my friend, who supposedly was going to grab a quick snack at the nearby store. Instead, I noticed her staring at a tattered piece of paper clinging for dear life on a pole. As she looked back at me, I saw a manic smile spreading across her face, much to my amazement alike to the Cheshire Cat.
"You know what Indie? I think you should go to this karaoke event, you might enjoy it." She said as I watched the gears clicking in her brain as she evaluated how to persuade me into this. I realized what she was doing, because after our friend Sadie left town, I've done nothing but go through the motions of life. I sighed as I looked around. Fieldtown hasn't changed since Sadie left. In...

Open Prompt

The Red Book

Nika's 6 Likes

Me and Myself by Rome

Published 6 months ago

School by SierraSmith

Published 6 months ago

The Beginning of an Ending by KittyCatsRule99

Published 8 months ago

The Sea's Master by Applecharm11 Starhorse

Published about 1 year ago

The Red Book by Nika

Published about 1 year ago

The Red Book by Nika

Published about 1 year ago

11 Likes from Others

Bismarck Cake

Liked by 1 person

Darkness of the Mind

Liked by 1 person

The Town of Dreary

Liked by 1 person

Never the Last

Liked by 2 people

The Traveler

Liked by 1 person

The Cherry Trees

Liked by 1 person

A Tale of Two Treasures

Liked by 2 people

Spark

Liked by 1 person

The Field

Liked by 1 person

The Red Book

Liked by 2 people

The Red Book

Liked by 1 person

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned about 1 year ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned about 1 year ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned about 1 year ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned about 1 year ago

Power writer

Do you ever sleep? You've written over TEN THOUSAND WORDS.

Earned about 1 year ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned about 1 year ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned about 1 year ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned 8 months ago

Popular penman

Very nicely done - you've got over ten favorites.

Earned 4 months ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned about 1 year ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Competitor inactive

It's as easy as entering a competition to earn this badge.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.