One Shot

"The ones who stay within the lines don't make change" - Stephenie Porter

Hey hey!

I am an artist at heart! I love creative writing, poetry, spoken word, dance, singing/songwriting, culinary arts, and so much more! I'm a sucker for God, I aspire to lead, and I hope to encourage hundreds (and maybe more;) ) with my writing.

- Keep Being Awesome

Izzy-El

Izzy-El, I’d call her. I would hear echoes of my aunties names as I bounced off the walls from endless sugar rushes. One day I tried to be cool and call her by her name like Mimi, Papa, and the rest of my aunties and uncles did. This wasn’t the best choice and later on, I found out that I would never call her by her name again, and that I was pronouncing it all wrong to begin with. This made me disappointed in my efforts to be older than I truly was, but I enjoyed the moment while it lasted. 

Aunty Izzy was different. She always seemed to constantly move in different directions. Doing so much at one time. Sorta like my grandma. I remember the days when I’d visit them in Ohio. I’d wake up all by myself some days, and those were the best days. I’d wake up, and crawl endlessly around the toys and clothes scattered...

Leah

At the start of every day, a little girl wakes up in her bed with the same name. She could be angry Aaliyah, sad Aaliyah, happy Aaliyah, disappointed Aaliyah, or frustrated Aaliyah. The possibilities are endless. She can wake up with a certain feeling, a certain emotion, a certain goal to tackle for the day, but it all starts with that one name. She could go through the day wondering how she got there if she’ll ever make it here when she’ll succeed next. But all of those thoughts and feelings and emotions started the very first day she was born. November 5th, 2018, in a tiny little hospital, Phoenix Arizona. Nothing but 6 pounds of cuteness and attitude. She was the total package. But she didn’t know what life she had ahead of her. She didn’t know the things she’d face as the years went on. She didn’t know that one name could carry the world. 

Aaliyah Sophia Garibo,...

What Is Writing to You?

As a teenager, I am faced with many challenges far greater than any mind could imagine. Joy, hate, love, peace, family, friends, wars, injustice. All of these things are current in the 21st century, and I as a writer I love to conquer topics like these knowing that they may be challenging, but as my best friend says “God doesn’t give us anything we can’t handle.”  and I stand by that whole heartedly.

Weather it be fantasy or fable, I love taking things from my past and present and turning them into messages for the future. I have always found myself enriched in the arts, and writing as a whole. I would consider myself a writer who loves to inform and take risks. While still in school I participate in many performing arts programs that allow me to not only exercise these writing skills, but also put them to the test. Furthermore, while in English class, I have been assigned...

What Is Writing to You?