exnoid

writer

Book Review Competition 2021

2 + 2 does not equal 5

Transport yourself to the year 1984- or rather, what could have been 1984. The mind opening and mind cluttering book that is 1984. A choice of free will I made to read it one day, and the choice I made to not put it down for days after. This free will is not reflected in 1984, rather the notion of free will, the simplicity and primal nature of free will is the very thing destroyed in 1984. The wordplay consumed me, the dystopian society or maybe fast coming reality fascinated me. 
“In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality was tacitly denied by their philosophy.” 
The profoundness of this book welcomes you to question your own...

Book Review Competition 2021

2 + 2 does not equal 5

Book Review Competition 2021

2 + 2 does not equal 5

Letter Writing Competition 2020

​A Letter To A Pseudo-intellectual

Dear Pseudointellectual, 

This letter finding you well is the least of my troubles. 

I spend these hours daydreaming of material things I wish to own, nothingness, surfing the internet for an answer maybe I will find in youtube videos. (The setting of such days is usually the dark cave I call a room). In other words, I waste most of my days away.

Among these so-called internet adventures, a recurring thought plays in the back of my mind. 

I have begun to call myself a pseudo-intellectual with most subjects, including politics, film, and the purpose of life. 
But while I try to think of words to explain my pseudo intellectualness, I can't help but be annoyed by the pocket watch ticking next to me on my desk while I write this letter. I imagine myself smashing it. I need no reminder that time is going as fast as it is. At first, finding this watch, I loved the ticking sound...

Playwriting Competition 2020

Desperation Mafia

Loosely based off the historical event of the Sicilian mafia trials, where Sicilians were becoming involved in international heroin trafficking. The Sicilians used Americans to import heroin into the US, but were caught by the Italian Government and but on trial. The Americans got away free.

Act 1 
Scene 1 

Scene begins with David Remaro, late 30s, a hollow looking man, wearing a dirtied white dress shirt and black slacks, reading a letter from Cesare Volto, leader of the Volto mafia, to Leonzio Fontana, through a prison phone, separated by a glass partition. Stage light is dim, the light focusing on the two men. 
DAVID 
(Reading letter from CESARE. His voice is shaking) 
I will try to explain why I have left. To understand my disappearance, you must first understand me. My power, history, and name are all more important than you could ever imagine. 
DAVID pauses reading, and looks up to see LEONZIO FONTANA- a prison inmate - staring at...

Playwriting Competition 2020

Desperation Mafia

Act 1 
Scene 1 

DAVID 

Trichotemnomania: An 100 word story about hair pulling

For as long as I could remember, hair has always bewildered me. My own eyelashes, eyebrows, and head hair. Hair was always there for my nervous fingers to caress, to trace the line of that precious strand, and to finally, pluck, like a feather from a raven, shiny, dark, and smooth. Like a feather fallen from a soaring raven, the hair strand released into the world, from the open car window during a drive along the coast. The wind steals it away. A single hair strand I will never see again. A single hair floating on the ocean surface, maybe.