magzimum

a writer with a million tabs open on her laptop, looking for inspiration and scribbling on a google document <3

stay sane!

The Longest Line

[deleted]

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition: 2021

Inevitable

Inevitable is the bees that
arrive at a flower's reception.
Likewise, it is inexorable, our joy
in the face of positive introspection.

Inevitable is the creepers that
Engulf the brown, dense ground.
In parallel, it is inescapable, our woe
at the hands of control that surround.

Inevitable is the vehemence
Of the afternoon blazing sun.
Similarly, it is fated, our displeasure
at annoyances that escape none.

Inevitable is the normalcy
Of the world, society, blue sphere.
Comparably, it is predestined, our will
To live, irrespectable of woe and displeasure, here.

The Longest Line

Somewhere deep in the forest, where the asphyxiating atmosphere keeps you alive and breathing, you’ll see the longest line you’ll ever witness. Engulfed in a dense cloud of mist and hidden by purple trees, countless people can be seen waiting in line. You cannot view its genesis, but its limit is clearly discernible. 
Inviting enough to beckon your soul to listen to your curiosity and wait in line. 
My car stuttered to a halt as my eyes were fixed onto the enchanting line, a swarm of men and women, the young and old, the rich and poor, the happy and sad. I couldn’t help but scrutinize.
I got out, the end of the line beckoning my presence, and I stood in line. I waited for a sheer minute, looking at the tall purple trees stretching out into the folds of the deep, dark night. My curiosity took over, and I tapped the shoulder of an old man, a khaki shirt...

The Bronze Horse

There is a big, bronze, and mysterious statue of a horse behind my college dorm. It has a slit for a mouth and is hollow enough for air to whoosh around inside of it.
When you press your ear against its mouth, you can hear the hollow hum of the air inside.
Legend has it that an emperor in the 18th century once lived in the dorms which used to be the hallway of an immense palace. The emperor’s favorite horse was dear to him more than anything in the whole world, and when the horse passed away, he had this statue constructed. He died in grief a few days after, and apparently his spirit roams the bronze horse at night.
But another interesting legend sprung out of nowhere- the legend which portrayed the bronze horse being a bringer of luck. Finals were coming up soon, and students flocked to the bronze horse in the morning in large groups and...

My Mom and Dad Went Out

I don't remember when I last saw them.

It was a warm evening. Mom said she was going out with Dad for important business work. I asked them when they would be home, and they said they'd try to be home as soon as possible.

They always give me a spare set of keys when they have to go out and leave me at home alone. I lost the keys this time. Mom told me there was fruit for me on the table, and that I would have to eat the whole bowl before they would come home. I couldn't do that either. The fruits tasted weird, bitter.

I'm not able to open the windows. They're locked shut. I really want to find my keys, but I've looked around the whole house. I don't know where else to look.

I'm scared Mom and Dad will scold me for not eating my fruit and losing my spare keys. 

But I'm even...

Wanda [dark horror twist]

Wanda was a girl at my school. 
We were the Fantastic Four. Me, Brooke, Candance, and Wanda. We were inseparable. We went 
to the movies together, ate burgers and sodas together, and took silly pictures together with 
Candance’s camera.  We never looked at them, you suck 1990s for such cameras, but we did take the pictures. 
I wish I would have looked at the pictures. I’d know what Wanda looked like, then. 

It was summer. We were on the verge of moving on to high school and leaving behind lame eighth grade. Brooke, Candance and I would hang out in my garden, slurping Ice Shakes and playing around in the shallow pool kept for my baby brother. 
And then, Wanda came. 
“Maggie, this is Wanda! She’s so amazing, I think you’ll love her. She moved in next door to me just last week. On the verge of becoming the Fantastic Four from the Try Us Trio, eh?”
I thought she...

Song Writing Competition 2021

friend

[intro:-slow music]

[verse]
playing alone on the sands
dying to meet someone, hoping to not lose someone
when i was a child
waiting to find someone, scared of losing someone

and i, then i found you, playing alone beside me
me, i'd found a friend, yeah that i could see, yeah
you, you started talking we hit it off almost immediately
then why do i find myself standing alone on the beach

[chorus]
i found a friend, only to lose them
drove to your house today and then returned
i do hurt myself, thinking 
do you miss me?
when i reassure myself saying this
that you can't possibly be.

[verse]
i remember hot days
we snuck out some money, we bought us some icecream
when the summer blew away
we're playing in the rains, no loss, no personal gains

and i, then i found you, being the only one
me, i thought to myself, a friend like you, there's none, ...

Song Writing Competition 2021

friend

[intro:-slow music]

[verse]
playing alone on the sands
when i was a child

then why do i find myself standing alone on the streets

[chorus]
i found a friend, only to lose them
i do hurt myself, thinking 
do you miss me?
when i reassure myself saying this
that you can't possibly be.

note:- would really love feedback on the first verse and chorus! i'm going for a really sad song, so if that does not still hit please let me know. it may sound confusing now but i've got the song backstory planned out [since this song is really personal haha.] i've got...

Speechwriting Competition 2020

Why do they have to go to school?

The more you read, the more things you will know, the more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Dr. Seuss, one of the most beloved children's authors to this day, mentioned this in one of his books. He told us that learning takes you places, places you'll never explore, and places you'll never know if you never open a book and read it, love it, and feel it. That is what education does. It is what education does to most of us- we gain the will and power to explore and to discover. To make life meaningful and take in what can only be taken in when education gives us that unparalleled confidence.

I did say that this is what education does to most of us. Why did I say that? I said that because over the course of the few years that I have lived in this world, I have come to know that not everyone has...

We need to run away from them

Why are they firing at us, Father?

They're mean. They're cruel. And we need to run away from them.

Maria trudged on the snow, drops of soft, innocent blood falling onto her bright, yellow necklace. She opened the locket to find her father's face, smiling and winking at her. As her eyes welled up with tears, blood wasn't the only liquid dripping on the sunshine of a pendant that night.

They were coming. She could listen to the firings from a distance. Food was running out and water was scarce, and at that moment, completely unavailable.

Father, please don't go. Please stay here with me. Please, Father. Please stay.

You don't understand, Mare. We have to fight. We have to fight back. I'm not going anywhere. I'll come back, okay? I was wrong. We can't run away.
We have to fight back.

We have to fight back, she repeated. Rifle in her hand, she started warming up beans on a...

My own little universe

I'm tired, revolving around everything else.

My earth's crying and Mars may want to stretch around and think about himself for a bit.

My Jupiter's becoming blue with woe and my Neptune's becoming red with rage.

I might sink, I might fall down and I might lose.

I might not know everything out there. I might not discover everything because it's a big universe.

But today. I'm the Sun. Shining bright, ruling all.

Looking as far as I can down my own little universe.

Because tomorrow, I'm back to being the asteroid.

None of them [title brainstorming in progress]

It was a slow day. The line kept on moving, but only within ten minutes would the next customer get his chance. And there were at least a hundred people in front of me.
In demeaning frustration, I kicked the dustbin to my right with outstanding force. A pitiful groan rose from behind the dustbin, and I realized that I hit a homeless vagabond, or whatever you call them. I didn’t know what to do, but he did; pushing the bin aside, he revealed himself to me, tattered clothes and a matted white beard.
He held out his hands to ask for money, and even though I don’t usually feel it as my responsibility to sponsor the homeless, I took out a crisp twenty dollar bill and slipped it into his white, cold hands. With a recognizable “God bless you” mumble, he put the bill in his side pocket of his worn-out trench. From what his mannerism told me, he...

Writing Streak Week 5 Day 2

The greenery eludes me, the warmth of its bosom comforts me, and the scent of its life makes me happy.
The thin and bony fingers trapped me.
Life turned into ever strangling death.
The warmth of its bosom shrieked in utmost misery.
And the greenery turned black and my eyes went blind.

Writing Streak Challenge -- Week 5

Writing Streak Week 5 Day 1

From a forest to a living room
----
A piece of wood. 
Sad in its living
Happy in its death, the green foliage of life- it's missing
A dining table on a living room patio. How wonderful
It must have been to let your sap of blood ooze out
let him wither your bones, darken your skin
twist your body, tweeze out your soul
and take it with him.
To be a prosperous dining table
in a mental human home.

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

A Tear

What's a tear?
It's a blob of salty water in its ironic pureness and feeling.
I had second thoughts but I had to let you go. You were suffering. I had to let go.
He stuck a needle in your leg and down my poor beating heart. My pink dress floated in all its grace. The tear came. And more. My heart wrenched.
I shall never forget you, Bruno, my dog. My heart is not with me, it's with you. Years old and growing, from the age of nine I lost you, it shall forever beat with you.

Writing Streak Week 3 Day 1

love
---

love is the most
potent and blissful
unless
you're
scared.

when you
find
someone who makes you overly
happy
loved
wonderful
capable of anything
you've found the person

it can be anyone
who overjoys you
and life
seems
like
only 
happiness

but the heart gets broken
dreams get shattered
life
turns
sadder always
and all that
is left
is wisdom.

Letter Writing Competition 2020

And I Laugh

Love is a rose, and I laugh.

Hey daughter.
I'm sitting with coffee gone unbelievably cold, staring at the garden strewn with wild weeds. That's my cue to call the gardener and tell him to cut his holiday short. But I can't right? Because however much am I his employer, it's his life.
Like yours is your life, and even if I am your mother, I don't have any control over you. Especially because you sit with your husband and beautiful child on your lap in a subarbanite corner of New York City. Florida's cold. I would tell you to invite me over if you could.

I was a little child in a small orphanage, Maria. A kind couple took me home and called me Rose.  They were gentle, nice, and overly loving. I grew up spoiled and ran away to find my true love. That much care someone gives you, and you leave him? It's a laughing matter, maybe...

CATEGORY 2 AND 3 WINNERS! THRIVING IN TIMES OF UNCERTAINTY

Hey everyone! I guess you all are ( not ) eager to know the winners for the last two categories. I received a few entries but I could not get some links to open-it showed a 404 error, that is. I apologize if its just my internet low bandwidth or something, but I judged the entries I received.

Only one entry per category ( 2 and 3 ) were able to load, but it does not mean it's not a win well deserved. Congratulations to  Emi ( United States ) on winning Best Content for these rounds, along with Category 1. I loved your pieces and I could not have written better. Kudos! Your peer reviews will be hella detailed, I assure you that!

As for the other entries, I could not get ReaganMarie2024 and Ollie Octopus' links to load. I am however sure that they produced amazing pieces; therefore, you both shall get two peer reviews each. My treat!...

RESULTS ARE OUT!!!! CONTEST: THRIVING IN TIMES OF UNCERTAINTY: CATEGORY 1 (OTHERS COMING UP)

I am terribly sorry for delaying the results, it won't happen again! I was OVERWHELMED by the love you gave me in the form of-well-competition entries! I had a great time judging your pieces and rest assured I could not decide upon a winning piece immediately. I appreciate your patience and participation. Since I am relatively new I did not expect this response. Thank you for welcoming me so warmly!

Enough chitchat- let's get down to the winners!

Category 1: I received the most entries for this category; although I am guessing that is because the word limit was awfully short? But your pieces were delightful. Here are some I picked because they stood out.

Best Content : Emi ( United States ) provided a deep insight to fear not being ours. I loved the choice of words and plot of the mesmerizing prose piece. Congratulations! A win well deserved.

Runners Up : 1.MuslimQueen06 ( United States ) this piece...

CONTEST!! Thriving in Times of Uncertainty

I know I have only 4 followers and I am new to Write The World, but I am an experienced writer on many platforms and have won numerous awards ( not to brag, I am just telling you why I am fit to host a contest. ) This is a fun contest to enter in, believe me, and there is much more in store for you. Hit the follow button for interesting contests!
For this contest, I am looking for pieces of short length exhibiting inspiration during these times of pandemic when our community is getting a lot of penning time. You could write fiction or nonfiction, keeping in mind the theme, 'Thriving In Times of Uncertainty'. 
There are three categories for your entry. I am accepting multiple entries on the same category or from different categories, so type away!
1. One to two liners ( maximum 50 words ) : Get creative!
Genres: Quotes, Microfiction, Creative Nonfiction
2. The...

Food Writing Competition 2020

Food, Love and War

The chicken pieces are cooking on low flame and my household wonders what preparation to put it in- biryani or simple curry? It is the sole topic of Sunday-and well, all the other days'-conversation. My father likes biryani because of the irresistible aroma and meaty flavor,  I prefer a simple curry or the delicious Mughlai chicken Mom makes because spicy foods don't agree with my tongue, and my sister prefers anything, just as long as there is dessert in the end- or a drink. My mom has a tolerance culture- she eats anything!- and artistic hands weaving any dish into perfection. She waits for us to be done with our drama and surprisingly, the chicken isn't overcooked by then! It's always ready to be put in the preparation the family agrees upon, and the dish gets wondrously cooked, leaving our twitching noses in agony until serving time. Artistic hands and a bit of magic, perhaps?

There is a bit of...

Food Writing Competition 2020

Food, Love and War

There is a bit of...

This I Believe

I Believe

What do you believe in?
You may believe that the world is bound to end. You may believe that milk is put before cereal.
It's a matter of what your heart tells you, not what others tell you. Beliefs musn't be borrowed or stolen. They must be born. They must be respected.
They must be there.

Food Writing Competition 2020

Food, Love and War

The chicken pieces are cooking and my household wonders what preparation to put it in- biryani or simple curry? It is the sole topic of Sunday-and well, all the other days'-conversation. My father likes biryani ,  I prefer a simple curry or the delicious Mughlai chicken Mom makes, and my sister prefers anything, just as long as there is dessert in the end, or a drink. My mom has a tolerance culture and artistic hands weaving any dish into perfection. She waits for us to be done with our drama and surprisingly, the chicken isn't overcooked by then! Artistic hands and a bit of magic, perhaps?

There is a bit of magic in all the food we eat. The aroma tingles noses and gets mouths watering with a hope of tasting just one little piece..and then a little more.. slowly consuming all of it, till the stomach nearly bursts. That's food, everybody! But what food does that for you?  Is...

Updates and Information

Hi everyone! I just want to say I am being pretty well received as a newcomer to this community. I have gotten my first five followers, and while it's not very impressive, it sure is a start.
If you peeked at my profile, you must have noticed I am hosting a contest. You must be practically teasing me for hosting it as a newcomer. But you forget- I am not new to writing and the world of writers- I am only new to Write The World! I am a two time national winner of a writing award and have been published in 50+ magazines and 2 anthologies. There is much more to it, but I am not here to brag; I want to tell you that I will receive your pieces like a real writers' judge and will provide suitable feedback. Please do not doubt me as a judge for your pieces; I am just here to have fun and...

2. The...

Her Ink

The blue ink bottle lay beside her notebook, and the ancient quill quivered as she started writing out her soul and feelings of love,confusion and hatred.
It started with happiness which couldn't be expressive in words. The days with the people she loved and the nights of satisfactory chererfulness began to show in her writing. The world looked beautiful and the stars shone as bright as ever, making her life as delicate and amazing as a flower soaking up the rain with love.
But then the pain and confusion in her words aroused her anger, and it came to the fore. The separation from her friends, the grief in her prime and the anger of being terrorized and teased, all were rushing back to her, and to her words.
The writing then turned so long, that neither the words nor the tears could stop. The shiver and fright in her mind showed on the paper in the form of tears.  ...

Writing Streak Challenge Week 7

Writing Streak Week 7 Day 1

Love is alchemy. It turns every single tear into gold;the heart's happy. I love when others are happy or better still. Pleasing people is in my list of hobbies, second to writing. I once gave a child a chocolate I planned to eat myself and the smile brought warmth to my heart.