Kughrin

Historical Fiction Competition 2016

Moonlight Serenade

May 15th, 1943

Rita adjusted her pearls. Her small bedroom had a faint, sweet smell of perfume and fresh linens. The small vanity she sat at was cluttered with little items. A paper box filled bottle caps from sodas she had shared with friends, a pink flower clip for her hair given to her by her father, her mother's favorite lipstick. Perhaps, the most treasured of them all was a seashell from the year she visited the beach with her sweetheart, Louis. 

She fiddled with her jewelry, a anxious habit she had developed since the war started. The words last dance were ringing in her ears. Marci, her best friend, had promised that the dance would help distract them. Yet so far it had only made the fear worse. Louis was leaving for the war.
Rita thought back to that terrible day when Louis had told her he was going to fight. His brothers, Frank and Ben, had both died...

Historical Fiction Competition 2016

Moonlight Serenade

May 15th, 1943

Rita adjusted her pearls. Her small bedroom had a faint, sweet smell of perfume and fresh linens. The small vanity she sat at was cluttered with little items. A little box of bottle caps from sodas she had shared with friends, a pink flower clip for her hair given to her by her father, her mother's favorite lipstick. Perhaps, the most treasured of them all was a seashell from the year she visited the beach with her sweetheart, Louis.