Quarkoala

My Passions:
-Physics.
-Writing.
-Math.
-Reading.
-Music.
-Computer science.

My Large Collections:
-Books.
-Tabletop games.

Check out my Weekly Competition of Competitions:
https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/
shared/167530/version/332343

For free peer reviews, check out:
"GET UNLIMITED PEER REVIEWS!!!"
https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/
shared/158866/version/310403

In honor of 30 followers, I'm doing a Q&A:
https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/
shared/167486/version/329551

Competition of the Week:
https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/
shared/168656/version/333109

CLOSED Weekly Competition of Competitions #compofcomps

If you're reading this, it means I have conjured up enough courage to post this competition.

This is my first competition, and it's for all of you fellow competition hosts out there. The entries for this competition are competitions themselves, so all you have to do to enter is put a link to one of your competitions in the comments, for a chance of it becoming Competition of the Week. And, if you win, you'll get a follow, plus more.

Rules

• You may enter one competition per week, and no more than one. You may enter in as many weeks as you like, but only once per week.
  • You must enter your competition on either Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. I use Eastern (USA) Time, currently with daylight savings, but will try to be flexible with different time zones. In order to help with this, please state the time in your own time zone in your comment (the time you see on your...

Writing Streak Challenge Week 9

Challenge Completed

Day 1

At first, Amanda couldn't think with all of the noise from downstairs, but luckily, she was able to put an end to it, even if it was a very dirty end.

Day 2

There was no reason for them to die; they could still be alive and well, but no, you just had to kill them!

Day 3

As she died, she realized the terrible prophecy about her hadn't come true, so she opened her eyes, and saw that it wasn't over yet.

Day 4

If you jump into the valley of dreams, there's no guarantee that you'll make it out, or even stop falling, but if you don't jump, you will forever be looking down with regret into a world that could have been yours cannot anymore, so what else should you do but jump?

Day 5

We are objects falling into a supermassive black hole from far away, falling for so long that we think of it as...

Writing Streak Week 9 Day 5

We are objects falling into a supermassive black hole from far away, falling for so long that we think of it as forever, but it's not forever, for one day each of us will pass the event horizon into what is known as old age and illness, and reach the singularity known as death.

Competition of the Week of 5/24 to 5/30

First of all, before I say who won, I just want to tell everybody that it was very hard to choose which competition was the "best," since they were all really good, and worth checking out. I know a lot of people say a version of that at the beginning of their competition winners announcement, but I still had to say it.

Now, the Competition of the Week is "A Lil' User Contest for the Drama Queen in You :D #dramatize contest," by Doodleninja. Here's a review of the contest, with the reasons it won:

The title is the first thing you see in a piece. The title of this contest really stands out, using the words "Drama Queen" to convey the theme of the contest. It makes the reader want to see more, unless the reader doesn't like drama, in which case this contest isn't for them.

At this point, the readers who made it past the...

The Army and the Club

Guns are being pointed at me. I am unarmed. The room is not that big, and every exit is blocked by armed people. Oh, and I'm surrounded by them too. If I had people I knew here with me, I could get through this. Even if I knew that people I knew were alive, that would have been helped me focus and plan an escape. But, since for all I know, I'm the last one alive out of my beloved family and club, I can't think very well, and I'm not sure if I have any reason to try to escape.
    I try hard to think, think. I realize that they could kill me at any moment, and I wouldn't be able to avoid it. But they also can't stay here forever. Then again, they may have shifts. But I can't stay here forever, unless the give me food and water. And if I don't die,...

Writing Streak Week 9 Day 4

Writing Streak Week 9 Day 3

Define... #create

So, at first I was lazy, and tried to think of a word I'd already made up, from one of my pieces of writing. Skeyacored, maybe? But I didn't have a definition for that, and didn't want to give a definition for that. Then, I thought of zdern and gorp from a piece that I haven't published on WtW. But these are just synonyms for other words. Finally, I decided to just make up a new one so here goes nothing...

define antigood

Antigood
noun
Not anywhere on the scale from good to bad; without ethical importance.
It might have seemed bad that the grass could not grow, but really it was antigood.

I Wish They Had an App for That

The "Warning App"

Imagine you're being followed by somebody who has bad intentions. Or maybe you're near somebody you don't want to meet up with face to face, but you don't know you're near them. Or, there's a dangerous thing happening somewhere nearby, but the news hasn't reached you yet, and won't in time.
    Wouldn't it be nice if, in all of these scenarios, there was just a general app that could warn you about the person following you, or the person you don't want to see, or the dangerous situation nearby? It would be nice if there was a general purpose app called the "Warning App," which would warn you of anything you should, need to, or want to avoid. This app would also have a setting determining whether it would only warn you about things you can avoid, or warn you about everything, regardless of whether you can avoid it or not. If only this app existed.

Writing Streak Week 9 Day 2

Writing Streak Week 9 Day 1

I am a Factory

Ideas are produced,
mostly common,
unoriginal,
almost useless,
but occasionally
a really good one
is made, in this
factory,
where all the
products are
unique,
yet almost all
of the products
are nearly
indistinguishable.
One day,
when the prophecy of
the last idea
comes true,
the factory
will no longer
operate like
it did,
for the better
or the worse,
but for now,
it is producing
and producing
indistinguishable,
unique,
ideas

like this one.

What You Say

What you say
changes lives
by accident.
What they say
changes lives
on purpose.

You make an
impact,
but not
the one
you want
to make.
They make
exactly the
impact
they want
to make.

That is why
they are them
and you are you,
and you will never
be one of them
just like
they'll never
by you.

30 Followers - Q&A, and Comment Offer

Uh, so, um... yeah, how did that happen? Well, I guess I should do something in honor of it...

Okay, here's the list of all my followers. Follow them, they're great writers. I know I don't normally have a follow for follow policy, but I'm following all of them anyways.

Pavithra C.P
CrazyNinjaKid
lindsmariebuck
Jordan'sWriting
Root
poetri
Bananasaurus
Emily27
Deanna Suns
ava09
BeautifullyImperfect
Sanjana Sunilkumar
ElsaRee
Wynorrific
Sylenceher
Julia V
Jasmin_zadeh
Madelyn (Carolina Girl)
SunV
cherryn
anoushka1705
Charisse Marison
T r a l a l a
batman_is_a_cracker
sunny.v
Ollie Octopus
thisiswhoiam
Doodleninja
Cressida
best at procrastinating

If I messed up somehow, and I'm not following you even though your username is listed above, please say so in the comments, so I can fix that.

I really have no idea how I got this many followers; it feels like it was just yesterday that I joined WtW, even though it was back in March this year... whoa, time flies!

Well, anyways,...

Risky

Taking risks in life
is not as risky
as being ignorant.

The Doom of Death

I asked, "Where am I?"
    My answer, from a mystical voice coming from far away, was, "The Doom of Death."
    "Is death doomed or is death the doom?" I asked, now a bit worried.
    "That is a good question," the voice answered again. "I think you will see that the answer is complicated, and maybe one day, you will realize that you knew it all along."
    "Where do I go?" I asked.
    "Go where it feels most natural to go."
    So I walked, and then, for some reason, I started running, maybe because it felt more natural. I ran past trees of all different sizes, all different types, all different colors - some were even blue and purple. Then I stopped, this time not because it felt natural, but because it wanatural; I needed a breath. Around me, I saw no more trees, but...

Ride Goes Wrong #AllinNowin

A roller coaster can be scary,
as it goes
up, up.
The suspense builds
with every centimeter
of added height,
every second
in time,
as it goes
up, up.
And so does danger,
as seconds elongate,
and the point of
no return,
has long since
been passed.
Still, the roller coaster,
it goes,
up, up.
Up,
up,
up.

At the top,
at the turning point,
at the point of choice,
things go wrong.
The roller coaster twists,
twists, twists,
twists,
off the track.
The sense of danger
turns into a reality,
so that reality
is no longer
real,
but a nightmare.
Within one long,
long, long,
long,
millisecond,
the roller coaster
is falling.
Actually
falling.
Through
the
air.
Not on the track,
in the
air.
After a few seconds
have passed,
the longest few seconds
ever recorded
in history,
the roller coaster
hits
the ground.
The screams,
the screams that were there,
there for all of recorded time,
stop.
The world,...

[Don't persue your dreams.]

Don't persue your dreams.
That would require money,
which you don't have access to.
Instead, persue something
you might hate,
but will make you plenty
of money, if you're good.
Maybe one day, you will
have enough money
to do what you really,
really want to do,
though probably not.
It doesn't matter,
just don't persue your dreams
right now. Instead,
make some money, and then
in another life, or maybe
this life, you can do
what you really want
to do.

Isn't that suspicious?

You looked at me once
and then
you never looked at me
again.
You looked at everybody
except me,
and you looked at them
a lot.
But not me.
Isn't that suspicious?

I've seen your videos
you made
for assignments in class,
and
they are very good,
very solid.
But whenever I see you
in person,
presenting to the class,
you always
seem to mess up in your
sentences,
filled with "umm"s.
Other people
tell me about your
presentations
when I'm absent from class,
and they say
that your presentations are very good,
and you talk well.
But whenever I see you publicly
speaking,
you stammer and pause all of
the time.
Isn't that suspicious?

Yesterday, I was sitting on a
bench,
and saw you facing the other way
and
talking to people so fluently.
Then,
I remembered I had to remind
one of
the people you were talking to
about something.
When I did, you immediately stopped
talking,
and...

Writing Streak Challenge Week 8

Challenge Completed

Day 1

For those who wish to be miserable, instead of doing hard work, just don't do any work.

Day 2

Talking about taking action is fine, as long as you also actually take action.

Day 3

One decision out of many is not meaningless; think of it as representing all of the decisions, and therefore having an effect.

Day 4

When writer's block gets you, write about how it feels.

Day 5

When all of the options are equally great, it doesn't matter which one you choose, as long as you choose one.

Just stop looking at me that way!

Oh, but oh, but oh, that's just so weird - stop it - but - stop looking at stop looking at me like that stop it please! stop it! please! Why should you look at me in such a way that I may but they are quite but no - but - no! oh please, let this all be over and I shall be back and home will be happy oh - oh - why must I go through - or I could say just say - oh! oh no! I can't do this - I could - but I won't I will not not do this I could but won't! I won't! But mind clear - but - don't think - and it would be such a life! that I would have and couldn't it be more than what I have now? couldn't it? oh please I must know this as I know everything but suddenly I don't know...

Writing Streak Week 8 Day 5

Time passes soooo fast; very many days per second.

Why do the days go by so fast?
Why, I ask, why?
It feels like just yesterday that it was yesterday.
In fact, it was just yesterday that it was yesterday.
But now the today is over, and tomorrow, it will be tomorrow.
Except tomorrow, I will call today yesterday, and tomorrow today.
Before I kow it, everything will happen, everything that I'll ever seen.
And at that point, my life will have gone by, and be over, all because the days passed by so fast.

Things Get Serious

It begins as pretend,
just a game,
not real.
But soon,
it is quoted,
still,
as not real,
but pretend.

One day,
it is quoted
so so so
much,
that it
might as well
be real,
but it isn't.
It is not real,
but pretend.
Pretend,
on that
one day.

Soon,
it is still pretend
but more common
than reality,
that reality
is no longer reality,
but pretend,
and what was pretend
is now
reality.
And it all happens
so fast,
so soon.

Comment Responses for "How to Prove that 1+1=2"

If you haven't read "How to Prove that 1+1=2," I suggest checking it out before reading these comment responses.

There were two main confusions in the comments. We'll start with the confusion on the definition of 2. The reasoning was, in the proof, I use the fact that S(S(0))=2, but this fact relies on 1+1=2, so doesn't that make the proof circular?

Here's why not. It's because our precise definition of 2 is 2=S(S(0)). We could define 2 with 2=1+1, but this seems less natural when defining the set of natural numbers, and it wouldn't make a very fun story, since 1+1=2 would barely require a proof. But why does the definition 2=S(S(0)) make more sense?

Out of the recursive definition of natural numbers, using Peano's axioms, we get that we can list the natural numbers in the following way:
0
S(0)
S(S(0))
S(S(S(0)))
S(S(S(S(0))))
S(S(S(S(S(0)))))
...
Naturally, we want to line this up with the names we are used...

Just because Earth has a lot of dirt, that doesn't mean we should treat Earth like dirt.

Let's go to another planet! Mars! Venus! Who cares about boring old Earth? We can trash it all we want; look at all these other planets we could live on instead! I mean, it's not like it would be nearly as hard to make one of these other planets sustainable for life as it would be to keep Earth sustainable for life, let alone harder, right? Oh, and once we make these planets sustainable for life, they will just sustain themselves, and we won't be tempted to ruin their sustainability like we are on Earth, of course, right? Right? I mean, the answer is obvious. Right? Right?
    No, wrong. Let's not trash Earth. Earth is our home. What if in the near future, we won't be able to live on it? Good old Earth. And just because in the far future, we might be able to live on other planets, and in the near future, we...

Writing Streak Week 8 Day 4

Writing Streak Week 8 Day 3

SOLVED/CLOSED Late Night Riddle (or Middle of the Day, Depending on Your Time Zone)

It's kind of late (in my time zone), and I have a riddle for you:

One day, many articles were published about how the average chance of dying below the age of 50 had increased by 100% since last year. Other articles said that this chance increased by 1% since last year. All of them were correct. These articles were published on the same day, they were both about humans on Earth, and were written by humans on Earth. What was the chance of dying below the age of 50 last year, and what is it this year?

[It is only a head]

It is only a head
Talking, listening, smelling, thinking
And it says:
"Once I had a body
A beautiful one
And I used it to climb
Up to the sun
I did not make it
I fell tragically
Tried to take it
But my body was gone
Gone for good
And now I have just
Just a head left
I have no control
Over murder and theft
I could be murdered or robbed
With no hope of getting away
I once yelled and sobbed
But now I know
I deserved what I got
I deserve it so
What I got and what I have"
Believe or not
It has a story
With some sort of plot
For it is not an it
They are a person
Like you and me
They are a person

[Don't bite the night]

Don't bite the night
before daylight is as bright as sight.
Inspite of lack of sight
from quite the lack of light, be bright.

Writing Streak Week 8 Day 2

We live in a universe that is not made to follow our ethical beliefs, even with the anthropic principle.

Bad things can happen.
The universe does not care
about good ethics.

30 Followers - Q&A, and Comment Offer

Pavithra C.P
CrazyNinjaKid
lindsmariebuck
Jordan'sWriting
Root
poetri
Bananasaurus
Emily27
Deanna Suns
ava09
BeautifullyImperfect
Sanjana Sunilkumar
ElsaRee
Wynorrific
Sylenceher
Julia V
Jasmin_zadeh
Madelyn (Carolina Girl)
SunV
cherryn
anoushka1705
Charisse Marison
T r a l a l a
batman_is_a_cracker
sunny.v
Ollie Octopus
thisiswhoiam
Doodleninja
Cressida
best at procrastinating

Well, anyways,...

On Lowercase Prose

Yeah, it's pretty normal for poetry to be lowercase. But what about prose? Does it help or hurt a piece of prose to omit capital letters? I've already touched on this topic in How To Use Syntax, but I thought I'd go into it in a little more depth, and express my opinion on it more.
    I have a confession to make. When I browse pieces, some pieces catch my eye more than others, and of those that catch my eye, I admit that the shorter pieces and poems typically keep my attention for longer, since they are easier to read. But for the pieces of prose, whether they use or omit capital letters affects how likely I'll be to read them. I'm more likely to read a piece of prose with capital letters than a piece of prose that omits them. Prose with capital letters, to my eye, is less overwhelming than completely lowercase...

Rhyme Schemes versus Meters

Using a rhyme scheme is tough
Using a meter is tougher
Using both at the same time is
I
M
P
O
S
S
I
B
L
E

How do you get people to read your work?

Easy. Just unpublish it and publish it a bunch of times, so everybody gets to see it, and almost nothing else. Don't worry, the likes and comments save.
Or comment on random user's random work about your work, and tell them to read it. It can be a bit annoying when somebody comments on your work a comment that has nothing to do with you or your work, but hey, it's business.
Or insert some form of "PLEASE READ" in the title. Titles like this can be a bit annoying to see, but only to a point, and they do sometimes work. To be extra sure somebody will read it, make it seems like your life depends on it, or something.

Or, you could just publish your work as normal, and wait until somebody reads it. Nobody's harmed in the process, and the person who reads your piece will have a greater chance of enjoying it.

Realistic Fiction Is Not Always Very Realistic

Who here has written and/or read a lot of realistic fiction? I know I have, except, not really, except, really, except...
    It's confusing, okay! Realistic fiction is realistic, right? Except a story where the main character faces a dangerous conflict and, against all odds, is successful or almost successful, isn't always very realistic. Wouldn't it have been more realistic if the main character messed up somewhere along the way and died? Of course, that's not a good example because... well... even if there's a low chance doesn't mean...
    Well there's bound to be a better example, like...
    Am I making any sense whatsoever? Somebody help. Comment if you agree that realistic fiction isn't always very realistic, and also if you can find a better example than mine. Oh, and say whether you enjoy reading/writing realistic fiction.

Every Day Feels the Same

Every day
feels the same,
no matter
the schoolwork
given on weekdays,
no matter
the classes
given on weekdays,
no matter
the activities
given on weekdays,
no matter
the lack of anything
given on weekends,
every day
feels the same,
that won't change
until it changes,
but for now,
and (not) forever,
every day,
feels the same as
every
other
day.

"Beyond Names" Remix

This is going to be a bunch of snippets from my collection "Beyond Names," put together.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"My dog Lilly thought somebody had planted Bate's Magic Teacup, and dreamed of what it would be like to have a pet polar bear. I wish I could go out into the world, but I can barely take care of Lilly. Does this situation sound familiar?"

"Stupid ads-"

"Introducig the Jove 2, always be happy, learn. I'm sure you have something to learn from the Jove 2. Want Blanket Green? Want an amazing writer? Want to get me my glasses?-"

"No, why would I want-"

"Want to see the Ancient Ghost Trail? Want to be arrested?-"

"Who would-"

"The Jove 2 has superiority in wisdom, knowledge, learning, teaching, communicating, feeling, all we wish we were good at, think we are good at-"

"What is the Jove 2 anyways?-"

"Stop arguing with-"

All right, I'll stop now.

Names, Names, Names

Beyond Names

A Breakfast Joint

Deep beneath the frozen city lived one of the only places which contained movement, life. The Deep Life's name was very accurate, for even though it had nothing to do with what it was - a breakfast joint - it was deep beneath the ground, beneath the frozen world, beneath the lack of life. And it was full of life - people chatted together, ate together, and held hands. In a frozen world of isolation, people held hands.
    "Wow, these pancakes are good," remarked Benjamin Shawnson.
    "I wish I could say the same thing about the waffles," said his husband, Roger Shawnson.
    "Let me taste them"
    "Okay."
    "Not your whole dish, just a taste."
    "You can have it; I don't want it."
    "Oh, fine." Ben took a bite, and exclaimed, "Bad waffles? These are even better than the pancakes!"
    "Let me taste those pancakes."
    "Okay, here you go."
 ...

Writing Streak Week 8 Day 1

How to Create a Poem Out of Thin Air

Pick words from the atmosphere
and spin them; do not steer.
They will fall at random,
soon to be in tandem.
Read it through. It won't make sense,
but resist the urge to through it over the fence.
Instead, change it, in a way that feels right.
It does not matter whether you have the sight
to see where it is going. It will go
on, and before you know
it, it will mean something
do something,
be something,
live
something.

Format it now, in a way that feels natural,
and flowing, like
                            a
                                 river, unpredictable
                            but
             predictable,
    changing shape,
   developing,
taking form.

Congratulations, you have m l  e
                                          o d d,

plucked,

e l o n g a t e d,

snatched,

*innocently (stolen),*

s   w
 e d  i
  l   r

skeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyacored

a poem,
from
thin
air.

Silence

Who will make it
to tomorrow,
from the ugly remains
of today?
Who will fake it,
causing sorrow
and many pains,
infinitely delayed?

Impossible it is
to tell
the future,
to smell
the fizz
of emotional
adventure;
it is only notional.

Silence connects
the world
in ever growing
bonds,
growing until
sound destroys
the delicate substance
that forms them.

Sound perfects
the zombies, who twirled
around mowing
lawns.
They did so practically still,
and acted as decoys
for everybody else, since
they were shinier gems.

Silence
Is
Our
Only
Hope
Of
Reaching
Out
To
Them

Whoever they are,
it is worth it.

The Truth about Truth

Truth is what is true.

Is that true?
It is the truth,
and thus,
is true if
it is true.

Is that the truth?
It is true,
and thus,
is true if
truth is what is true.

Is that true?
It is the truth,
and thus,
is true if
truth is what is true.

Is that true?
It is the truth,
and thus,
is true if
truth is what is true...

How to Prove that 1+1=2

"So class, what's 1+1?"

"2-"

"PROVE IT!"

...

...

...

Okay, let's do this. First of all, we're working in the natural numbers (the infinite set of numbers {0,1,2,3,4,5,...}), because this is at most a kindergarten class, and possibly pre-kindergarten. We don't need to know the precise recursive definition of the natural numbers, just that it exists, and that it says that every natural number n has a uniques successor, S(n), and that one of the natural numbers is 0. We will need to know the recursive definition of addition:
(i) For any natural number n, n+0=n.
(ii) For any natural numbers m and n, S(m+n)=m+S(n).
We also need to know what 1 and 2 are:
1=S(0)
2=S(1)=S(S(0))
3=S(2)=S(S(S(0)))
4=S(3)=S(S(S(S(0))))
You get the pattern.
Oh, and we should know what a theorem is: a statement that can be proven rigorously from other theorems and axioms. Axioms are also statements, but can't be proven, and we just assume them to be...

My Writing

will never be known on the large scale,
that would require
me having talent
(or so they say).

But if it were,
I would be dead by then,
and would not,
could
not
care.

Just like all who have created
something
    anything
        even just ideas,
    in their lives,
that were only fully appreciated

after they died.
They do not,
can
not
care.

Socrates
    Galileo
        Van Gogh
            Wegener

Can care

About what

Was when

They were

Alive

(or before)

And nothing else

The world is meaningless now
to those who died before.
Who, what, where, why, and how,
are but questions that are fun to explore.
When is the real deal that
should be worshipped, and thought
over in great chunks of when, and sat
down at the head of the table of not
anything but everything
when there is nothing left.
Good deeds do not mean anything,
only...

How to Get People to Give Feedback on Your Pieces

I remember when I first made an account on Write the World. I wrote and published my first piece, in response to the "Solidarity" prompt. Naturally, I was pretty excited at first, but a little later, dissappointed, when the piece seemed to go unnoticed. Nobody gave feedback on it, or even liked it. I had no evidence that anybody even read it. If you're in a position like this, don't be too dissappointed, at least not in the Write the World website, because you can get people to give you feedback.

Here are some ways to get people to give feedback on your pieces:

1. Publish pieces that look short and easy to read. That doesn't mean you can't publish longer pieces, and still get feedback on them.
  2. Make clickbaity titles for your pieces. One way to do this is to make the title express your opinion about a contraversial topic, or at least mention a contraversial topic. That doesn't mean all...

Fates #Howdy

Teacher: As you know, you are my favorite student, and I think you're clever enough to know why you're here, based on what's been happening in the world, and in class.
Student: Yes, I know why.
Teacher: Good. Let's start with Jeremy.
Student: He wouldn't crack. I've known him since kindergarten, and he takes almost any small insult as a personal attack. He fights back, and is very stubborn. He would never give in.
Teacher: Yes, that is what I thought. What about Mary?
Student: I don't think she would crack either. She doesn't take everything as personally, but she is very serious, and she's quite loyal. I remember how many secrets she kept in second grade, some of which I was in on. The ones I was in on never got out, and no matter how hard I tried, I could not get her to tell me the secrets I didn't know.
Teacher: Very well. Thomas?
Student: He'll give...

Who else is reading more books in the pandemic?

Ever since the current pandemic began, I've been able to get up slightly later, but more importantly, start my mornings off with reading for about two hours. Currently, I'm reading "Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury, but since school was cancelled, I've also read "Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs" by Lisa Randall, "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card, "Understanding Digital Electronics" by Gene McWhorter, and "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier.

So now I have a question for you: what books have you been reading lately? Comment below. If you haven't been reading very much, you can also comment about other things you've been doing.

How To Use Syntax

I thought I would give some tips on how to use syntax in your pieces, since often when I give feedback on piece that do use this tool, it sounds like I don't like the tool, even though I myself have used it in some of my pieces (e.g. "Twinkle" and "Typing")

Syntax is a tool writers use in pieces to do all kinds of things - enhance their meaning, indirectly describe their characters, change their style, and more. It involves changing the format of their piece (mostly on the small scale) to a more unconventianal format. This often means using incorrect grammar intentionally. Other times, it means repeating a word many times.

For example, a common way to use syntax is to intentionally write with grammatical errors in a first person narrative, where the narrator is a child. This makes the voice of the narrator more realistic; children often make grammatical errors. The piece is improved by syntax.
...

Twinkle

"It'll be okay,"
    "Just let us handle it,"
     and "Don't worry,"
    stand for "You're retarded,"
    "Let capable people like us handle it,"
    and "Shut up and stop bothering us."
    Honestly, I can't think of a way to make this less okay that isn't as effective as them saying these things. Even if they said "You're retarted,"
    "Let capable people like us handle it,"
    and "Shut up and stop bothering us," it would not have as big of an effect as the code for it. Saying the code makes me have to think about what it actually means, so I linger on these mean meanings much longer. Of course, if I told them this, they would say things like,
    "Nonsense,"
    "We mean exactly what we say, and nothing more,"
    and "You are simply questioning the world, a...

When All People Are Friends

Happiness
No sadness...

Boring
Same old people
No way to improve...

Persoanally attack!
Creat some enemies!
Intend to kill...

Sadness
But still
Happiness
Exists

Happiness
                will
                        never
                                die

Typing

Click click
Click, click,

Click
Click click Click
                            click
click
        click

click
click

loud click
            click
click click                         click
                    click
click click Click
CLICK

click    Click
    Click

Clickclick clickdone

Names, Names, Names

Beyond Names

A Breakfast Joint

"Let me taste them"
    "Okay."
    "Not your whole dish, just a taste."
    "You can have it; I don't want it."
    "Let me taste those pancakes."
    "Okay, here you go."
 ...

Science, My Old Friend

Hi Science. It's me, Math. Just wanted to let you know that I'm really proud of you for getting all this attention. You really deserve it, because you're helping out so much with COVID 19. I know we've had our differences in the past, but we are very similar too. We both stem from curiousity. I was almost you.

Anyways, feel free to use me any time. I'm almost always available, and am happy to help. Tell engineering I said hello. See you soon!

To Be

Dawn appears
Not fades in
Appears instantaneously

A glass shatters
Not is taken apart
Shatters in less than a second

A scream cuts through the air
Not travels through the air
Cuts through the air

Rage is in the room
Not just in the person in the room
In the room itself

The day has begun
Not is starting
Has already begun

The day will end
Not now
Later

Later will never come
Not will come
Never will come

Tomorrow is an idea
Not a time
Just an idea

Ideas are either right or wrong
Not always right
Right or wrong

Last words will be
Not be said
Just be

The Only Thing Left

A child's song
sang out
from the depths
of who knows where.
It sang and sang
until it could sing no more,
and all stopped.
None started,
for there was
nothing worth starting
that was left.

[It is almost breakfast time.]

It is almost breakfast time.
Not as good as chicken soup
with spicy sauce and lime.
The same room as the ice cream scoop

happens what will happen now.
I should go but I am here,
instead of eating breakfast, allow
me to explain myself's steer:

always moving in time,
always stretching the times
until they burst,
and I give into thirst.

Because.

Why do I have to eat my vegetables?
Because.

Why do I have to go to bed?
Because.

Why do I have to go outside?
Because.

Why should I do my homework?
Because.

Why can't you tell me why I have to do my work?
Because.

Then why should I do it?
Because.

Why do I have to do this instead of persuing my dreams?
Because.

Why does money matter more than happiness?
Because.

Why do they have to die?
Because.

Why must I be the one to kill them?
Because.

Why can't I quit this job?
Because.

Why must I kill innocent people?
Because.

Why is it a good thing if these cities fall?
Because.

Why can't we empathize with them?
Because.

Why must we ruin innocet people's lives?
Because.

Why must we profit off of everything, instead of spreading happiness?
Because.

Why can't I have my own opinion?
Because.

Joke Challenge

This one's simple - tell an original funny joke or funny story (short short) in the comments. In the same comment, put a link to one of your pieces. I will like and comment on all pieces entered, and once I get fifteen jokes in the comments, I will close this challenge. I'll follow the person who tells the funniest joke/story.

One more thing - Try not to make your joke offensive. If I feel it crosses the line, then I will ignore the comment.

Twinkle

"It'll be okay,"
    "Just let us handle it,"
     and "Don't worry,"
    stand for "You're retarded,"
    "Let capable people like us handle it,"
    and "Shut up and stop bothering us."
    "Let capable people like us handle it,"
    "Nonsense,"

Flashlight

7 Elements of the Fundemental Hoplessness of Humanity

1
words are more powerful
than physical force

words are as powerful as we make them
we make them powerful

if we did not make words so powerful
we would overcome a power above us

if words were not as extraordinarily powerful
the world would be a phisically chaotic misunderstanding

with words as extraordinarily powerful
the world is a chaotic misunderstanding

2
happiness costs no money
yet the price is high

survival first
happiness second

happiness gives meaning
to survival

at least some survive
but they are not happy

those alive but miserable forever
may as well be dead

those dead forever
should be alive and happy

happiness and sadness are two different things
tied together by our thoughts and beliefs

we cannot be happy without being unhappy sometimes
but a perfect could be happy all the time

3
we say be confused now
understand later

the confused now
will never understand

ignorance grows
times become dark

in dark times ...

What is Happiness?

What I am feeling right now.

The COVID-19 AP Exams: The Pressure's On

Tomorrow, I am taking an AP exam - the first in my life. I know some people have some days to wait before their AP exams, and some people have an exam today (comment below), but either way, now is the time of the school year when the exams are taken. This year, they are only fifty minutes, open notes, and have no mulitple choice. In some ways, this is relieving, but did anybody else feel a bit disappointed when the event in the year, that shows all the hard work and effort put into a hard course, was shortened from three hours to a mere fifty minutes? Also, in some ways, as much as I like open response questions, I miss practicing the multiple choice questions, and the memorization that went along with them.

Anyways, no matter what anybody wants, if you want to take an AP exam, it will be the way the College Board has decided on....

[There will come a time]

There will come a time
When I must die
And be shoved away from the world
Into endless or ending nothingness

But until that time
Not a goodbye
Will be molded and curled
Into endless or ending somethingness

Writing Streak Week 6 Day 5

I've been clumsy for about five minutes now, and I'm kind of getting used to it. I don't know why I'm clumsy, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the Stone of Adara.
    Right now, I'm in the tower next to the cemetery where the stone is kept, and I'm trying to find it with my binoculars. All I find is an empty tree stump, which I know the stone is normally kept on. Looking to the right of that, I see somebody getting strangled by the guards. This doesn't surprise me - they do that all the time to Curseds. The things that are unusual are that they're actually struggling a bit to strangle the Cursed, and the stone is gone. Oh yeah, and I'm clumsy. They're probably clumsy too.
    To the right of the guards, I see - wait, is that the Cursed Commander?! It couldn't be - they died...

Writing Streak Week 6 Day 4

As I'm trying decide which of my plans for using the Curseds is best, I feel a sudden pain and clumsiness, and I know the stone is gone. I run as quickly as I can out of the house and to the cemetery, and my two personal guards follow. It is not easy - my guards and I keep stumbling due to our clumsiness, but we make it on time to see the leader of the unit assigned to the cemetery strangling a Cursed - no doubt the one who murdered the stone.
    "Please forgive me," the leader.
    "Oh don't worry," I say, "you will recieve great punishment for your failure to guard the stone." I'm not sure how I'll be able to give this great punishment, but it is at least a good bluff.
    "Please, have-"
    "That's enough," I say sharply. I need it quiet, so I can assess...

Writing Streak Week 6 Day 3

I'm the leader of my unit. Right now, my unit has been assigned to guard the Stone of Adara directly. It's sort of an honor, but not that much, because we're still guards no matter how important our job is. Really, it's just more pressure, and I feel that pressure as I patrol the cemetery. It also sometimes gives me the creeps, and makes me wonder why the stone has to be kept in a cemetery. I ask no questions, though. That's our motto: "Ask no questions, and remained Favored."
    Suddenly, I hear the sound of the distinct loud footsteps of a Cursed. I hurry towards the sound, make it just as the Cursed is in front of the stone, oblivious to the guards behind it. I do as I was instructed, and along with the other guards, grab the Cursed as it reaches out for the stone.
    "I know Adara's hands like the...

Writing Streak Week 6 Day 2

My students have all been talented, but none talented enough. Some have just fallen short like me, and some have not even come close. It is true, one of my final students might have been talented enough, but I have not seen any evidence of that yet, and if one of them was talented enough, I should have seen evidence of that a while ago.
    Presently, I study my surroundings. It looks like the dark cave I am in has no entrances, but I know that cannot be true, because every now and then, the jail guards come in to check on me. Then, it occurs to me that they probably use magic to get in and out, but I have tried using all of the magic I know that does not require special objects. I have even tried yelling, "I know Adara's hands like the back of my own!" but it didn't work.
   ...

Writing Streak Week 6 Day 1

I'm cursed, but that's about to change. The Stone of Adara is right in front of me, and nobody's around. I'm going to pick it up, and destroy my and everybody else's curses by breaking the stone. It will shatter, and along with it, my curse. All I have to do is pick it up.
    But something feels wrong. I feel like what I'm about to do is some sort of pain. But then I remember my teacher's words:
    "Many powerful objects have protection around them. For some of the most powerful objects, the protection is psychological. It works, unless you know it's there."
    The protection's there, and I know it. Now, everything makes since, and feels right. I reach out for the stone.
    Suddenly the strong hands of guards pull me back. I squirm, but can't escape.
    Then, I remember my teacher's most important lesson, and yell...

Writing Streak Challenge Week 5

Keep Moving - Challenge Completed

Monday
Not perfect, just correct
No need to feel bad
No need to perfect
The art of being sad
Even when ill

Tuesday
Unfortunate, yes
Unhappy too
To feel stress
Without a clue
It is natural still

Wednesday
Even after meeting
Goals that have been set
Give a kind greeting
To new goals to be met
Have the power of will

Thursday
Loads and loads to do
Can be a whole lot
Like an empty pool
Yet it is certainly not
Too big to fill

Friday
Being completely free
Does not mean just relax
That would mean to see
Loads of work wax
And shrink all time to kill 

UPDATE ON GETTING FREE PEER REVIEWS

If you haven't seen my original offer, "GET UNLIMITED PEER REVIEWS!!!" you should check it out.

Here's the link: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/158866/version/310403

None of your rules have changed.

I just thought that I'd say my rules for reviewing; the rules that follow. When I get pieces to review, I review them in the order I got them: first come, first serve. I will always review pieces from comments that follow the rules, but I sometimes will review pieces entered in a way that breaks the rules, depending on my mood, and which rules the entry breaks.

One more reminder: the offer has unlimited in its name for a reason...

P.S. Entries should all be posted on the original offer. Questions about this update should be commented on this offer.

P.P.S. If you enter a piece in a group I'm in, then I'll review it, but if I'm not in that group, then I won't be able to.

Writing Streak Week 4 Day 5

I am grateful for my memory of the smell of apple crisp, bringing me back to a day when vacation was new.

Writing Streak Week 4 Day 4

Today, I feel grateful for Cayley Diagrams, because I could use them to fill out tables knowing I was building modern algebra skills. Also, I could fill out the tables while spending time watching a game show with my family. Plus, the diagrams look cool.

In the Night #1stchallenge

I woke up at around midnight, to screaming from outside. I squinted out the window, and saw a house on fire, with somebody at the window, crying out for help. I witnessed them fall out and plummet to the ground, and I could just make out the blood covering their whole body. It occured to me first that the person might have been pushed, but it then occurred to me that I in fact was probably dreaming. I got back into bed, closed my eyes, and willed myself to forget what I had seen, no dreamed, to just drift off...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

The Reader's Delight

Wings flap a storm, like leaves.
Good for you, they say, without a second thought,
But so much of it turns, yet one believes
A book can change, that's what's taught.

Good for you they say, without a second thought:
The world leaves you alone, a tree trunk, standing still.
A book can change, that's what's taught,
But read not to change your rainforest, but to fill.

The book around you has no words, no pages,
But read not to change your rainforest, but to fill;
"But this is wrong," is a myth, spread through the ages.

The book around you has no words, no pages;
It has no errors, not even a kink.
But this is wrong, is a myth, spread through the ages.
All you can do, all you can think:

It has no errors, not even a kink,
Yet it must have some problem, or else.
All...

Writing Streak Week 4 Day 3

I am grateful for the ringing of my alarm, telling me to wake up to a brand new day.

Writing Streak Week 4 Day 2

I'm grateful for the chance to get some fresh air.

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

The Reader's Delight

Wings flap a storm, like leaves.

It has no errors, not even a kink.
All you can do, all you can think:

It has no errors, not even a kink,
Yet it must have some problem, or else.
All...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

The Reader's Delight

Wings flap a storm, like leaves.
But so much of it turns, yet one believes,

It has no errors, not even a kink.
All you can do, all you can think:

It has no errors, not even a kink,
Yet it must have some problem, or else.
All...

Why I've Never Hosted a Competition

What if nobody entered my contest?

Writing Streak Week 4 Day 1

I am grateful for the internet; that even with social distancing, I can still do the things I love.

Mathematics #1stchallenge

Oh, it's so long!
So complicated
So unnatural
Math can be beautiful
But only sometimes

Oh, how to continue!
The blinking cursor
Or the half-filled page
Can be inspiring
But is mostly taunting

Oh, the proof feels so obvious!
Yet it's just out of reach
Must wait until
The brilliant idea
Calls over all the noise

Oh, the idea!
It works
Perfectly
Just have to
Write it down

Oh, but it's so long!
The proof is done
But really not
It is not written down
Got to keep the stamina

Oh, cling to the thought!
Don't lose it
Keep writing
Keep having stamina
It is almost done

Q.E.D.

It's done
It is done

Oh, the feeling!
That feeling of finishing a long project, knowing it has come out amazing
Of completing a small boat by hand, which works without a problem
Finally arriving at the finish line, knowing that nobody else has yet
Solving a mystery, finding the criminal, everything...

A Record, Beyond Repair

I've never had the urge to change the world for the better or the worse. I've never wanted to make a difference, for fear of breaking my life beyond repair. All I've ever wanted was to live a normal life, with normal worries and accomplishments.
    "During the era of freedom, you didn't support the Global Association. Explain," the officer asked me. I had no idea how to respond. The truth was that I didn't support the Global Association not because I'd never heard of it (that was impossible), nor was it because I liked having freedom (like most people). It was because I wanted to be like everybody else; I didn't want to cause trouble. I can't believe how quickly that backfired. Maybe I should have seen it coming, but I didn't have a clue, even a little while after the Global Association became completely global.
    "I didn't understand the purpose of the Global...

Writing Streak Week 3 Day 5

Unexpected Work

Thought I had a free day.

UPDATE ON GETTING FREE PEER REVIEWS

None of your rules have changed.

Writing Streak Week 3 Day 4

Fountains of Work

I have all day to finish.

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

The Reader's Delight

Wings flap a storm, like leaves
Good for you, they say, without a second thought
A book can change, that's what's taught

Good for you they say, without a second thought
The world leaves you alone, you stand still
A book can change, that's what's taught
But read not to change, but to fill

The world leaves you alone, and you stand still
The book around you has no words, no pages
But read not to change, but to fill
But this is wrong, as they think through the ages

It has no errors, not even a kink
All you can do, all you can think

It has no errors, not even a kink
Yet it must have some problem, or else
All you can do, all you can think
Is how...

GET UNLIMITED PEER REVIEWS!!!

This is not a contest. If you comment your piece, following the rules below, then you are guaranteed a review. Make sure to read all of the rules before entering, to ensure that you get some well-deserved feedback on your writing.

Rules for Entering

1) Make sure to like this piece.
2) You must comment your piece(s) below.
3) Only enter one piece per comment.
4) If you want to enter another piece, wait a day, or wait until somebody else enters a piece. If you break this rule, and enter multiple pieces clumped together, I will not review pieces in that clump.
5) Since there is no limit to the number of people who can enter, if you want to enter more than two pieces, you must follow me.
6) Please do not enter the same version of the same piece more than once.
7) If you enter a piece, and then change it, you may enter the new...

Writing Streak Week 3 Day 3

False Accomplishment

I just got some work done!

Our Actions

People would do.
But why?
They never knew.

The Meeting and the World #aprilmath

M-AM General: This is the official start of this attack meeting. Recall the rules: speak only if you are told to, unless you are part of the elite circle. You will be beheaded publicly if you break any of these rules, no exceptions. Since we are not all in the main room here - some of us are hooked up electronically - when you talk, you must end by saying the word spelled O-V-E-R. Notice that since I spelled the word without saying it, I am not done talking. Nobody but me: the general of the M-AM control, Dr. Ozzinson: the head of the M-AM research department, and our great dictator, can interrupt speakers. If the dictator connects to this meeting, let our lord speak, for the dictator is our creator, and is the reason we are here now. We will now hear from Dr. Ozzinson, over.

Dr. Ozzinson:As you know, the scientists in my department do research on...

Quarkoala #myname

My username, Quarkoala, is really two words: quark, and koala. A quark is a subatomic (smaller than an atom) particle. In fact, as far as we know, it is an elementary particle (not made up of smaller particles). Quarks are positively charged, and are in a category of particles called fermions (spin one-half). Groups of three quarks stuck together, depending on the types of quarks, can be protons or neutrons. These subatomic particles make up the nucleus (center) of an atom.
    Koalas are animals who live (and sleep) in eucalyptus trees (in Australia). Though they are also called koala bears, they are not actually bears, and are related to kangaroos and wombats. Scientifically, they are called Phasclarctos Cinereus. They sleep a lot - up to nineteen hours.

Writing Streak Week 3 Day 2

Mental Plan

In my mind are blurry decisions.

Haiku #aprilpoem

In only three lines
And seventeen syllables
Change your reader's life

Ruined and Broken Sonnet

The world was for our use inside our claws
Was helpless too; beyond a good repair
‘Tis this we thought, but we were just on pause
It is apparent we were wrong in there
And you just were the one who broke the spell
However it was all my fault again
They were those tricks for which I just always fell
Remember I’m to blame ten out of ten
We know that we were wrong about the world
A fool would not be fooled by our mistake
We knew for as the awful things unfurled
Our wealth had left us by ourselves to ache
Now broke, our lives will never be the same
From this point on my life has only shame

Five Line Fiction

December

What they all know: it's almost winter vacation. Most of my classmates can barely pay attention in class anymore. They're all talking about their plans for the break. Even some of the teachers have trouble focusing on what they're teaching. What none of them know: the lump of dread in my throat has been growing since the beginning of this dreadful month.

Writing Streak Week 3 Day 1

Working Despite Sleepiness

Got to keep holding on tight.

Meal

Have a potato, tomato, or steak
All is good, nothing is wrong
And for desert, have a piece of cake

All you can eat, all you can take
Come over and eat, take your time, stay long
Have a potato, tomato, or steak

Have a soda, tea, coffee, or milkshake
To go with your meal, at the dinner bell's bong
And for desert, have a piece of cake

Don't fear getting a stomach ache
Just tell yourself your stomach is strong
Have potato, tomato, or steak

The meal is for you to make
From the foods served, like chords in a song
And for desert, have a piece of cake

You might not be able to bake
But you can cut, chew, and spear with each prong
Have a potato, tomato, or steak
And for desert, have a piece of cake

Meal #aprilfood

Have a potato, tomato, or steak
All is good, nothing is wrong
All you can eat, all you can take

Have a soda, tea, coffee, or milkshake
And finally, for desert, have a piece of cake

Meal

Have a potato, tomato, or steak
All is good, nothing is wrong
And for desert, have a piece of cake

All you can eat, all you can take
Have a potato, tomato, or steak

Have a soda, tea, coffee, or milkshake
And for desert, have a piece of cake

Don't fear getting a stomach ache
Have potato, tomato, and steak

The meal is for you to make
And for desert, have a piece of cake

You might not be able to bake
Have a potato, tomato, or steak
And for desert, have a piece of cake

Tough Luck #NinjaContest_3

Tough-Muffy had threatened me with everything she could think of if I didn't find it: public shame, severe burns, vandalism in my house, and even death. The threats didn't even matter; I was already as scared as I could be from Tough-Muffy. Who wasn't?
    Where was that diary? How could Alex hide it so well? Did Alex know I was going to try to take it today?
    Around Alex's house I ran, looking for something - anything, that could be the diary. I spotted a little brown box, tucked away in the corner, and dashed over to it. I opened it, and inside was a diary - the diary.
    Suddenly the alarm went off. My eyes darted frantically around the room for a place to hide, but found none. I tried to run for it, but I was already handcuffed, and the police were dragging me like a rag doll.

Ashamed #agustdv2020

Ashamed.

Why me?

Why not them?

Ashamed,
in front of everybody.

Everybody.

"I would never..."

No use trying to tell the truth.

Nobody would ever believe.

And everybody wants me to be
ashamed.

Ashamed.

I have a plot to get them back,
to get them back for doing that,
for doing that which has made me,
ashamed.

Ashamed.

Smart phones lie asleep in their pockets,
I know the keys, I've seen them,
they'll be mine for a time,
and I will speak in the voice,
of they who have made me,
made me,
why me?

They have made me,
made me,
made me,
ashamed.

Ashamed.

In of everybody,
everybody,
everybody,
ashamed.

Ashamed.

And in their voice, I will speak,
and terrible things, I will say,
things worthy of the blade,
the blade which cuts through rough skin,
through thick flesh,
and frozen veins,
green hopes,
pink hapiness,
yellow dreams,
orange dignity,
purple life,
and they will be,
I know they...

Says Hello

Uh-oh

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

The Reader's Delight

Wings flap a storm, like leaves
A book can change, that's what's taught

A book can change, that's what's taught
But read not to change, but to fill

But read not to change, but to fill

It has no errors, not even a kink
All you can do, all you can think

It has no errors, not even a kink
Yet it must have some problem, or else
All you can do, all you can think
Is how...

Every Day #marchPb&pig

Every day, I eat banana cream pie and pretend to like it. Every night, I throw it up. The pigs come to eat it when I am asleep. I know because I've stayed up really late a few times and seen the pigs devour my regurgitated pie like it was the best food in the world. My mama is a lot like them, except she thinks that banana cream pie is the best food in the world when it is still hot from the oven.
    When I started to grow way too skinny, my mama got worried: "My poor child. You're not getting enough to eat, are you? Well, you'll just need some more of that good banana cream pie, now won't you?"
    In came more pie in the afternoon light, out went more pie after dark, and my desperation grew. One day, I almost told my mama that I didn't like all the pie she...

Cougar #marchwildlife

Morning

First hour
Nothing

Second hour
Nothing

Third hour
A deer appears
The deer canters away

Fourth hour
Nothing

Fith hour
Another deer slips by

Sixth hour
A third deer appears
The deer lingers
The perfect chance...

A leap
A bite
Poweful claws
No escape
Suffocation

Lunch time

Solidarity

Isolated

Isolated
More and more and more
Almost nowhere in the world left to go
And yet we are not in odd places, we are where we have always been
And yet the animals and the plants do not change their behavior, they behave as usual
There is almost no sign of anything unusual for many
Nothing physical to see
And yet we all know
And yet we are isolated
We are no longer moving in the world
And yet the world does not feel anything thing different
And yet the ocean still moves, the plants still grow, and the animals still roam
The knowledge of the situation sits inside us
The feeling and taste of our lives has been altered subtly, but audibly
The knowledge of the situation stands between us
We seldom get to see each other in person
And yet many of us see each other more than ever, in a different world
And yet we are active,...

A Grey Room

Once, I had interests in the world. It was such a magical place.
    I would get tired and the sun would go down. I would sleep, and when I would wake up, the sun would be back up. Amazing!
    I had all of these cool things, everything.
    But then it all changed. Everything.
    “Wake up!” my boss calls from somewhere. Of course I am already up, because I can’t ever sleep.
    I get up, go to the other side of the room to my computer, and wait for instructions.
    “Find the information file on subject 1551.” I do that. “Delete it.” I do that too, even though it means that subject 1551 could be killed, and no one would know. I know better than to rebel.
    “Read this article by work subject 33.” Work subjects are like subjects, but with a higher rank. I read the article. It looks good. “Does it look...

Words to Live By

When there's a will, there might not be a way...
but keep trying to find one.

Hard work doesn't always pay off...
but it pays off more than not working hard.

An apple a day does not keep the doctor away...
but healthy habits can still improve your life.

Sit back and life will happen...
but steer and you just might avoid crashing.

Never judge a book by its cover...
but don't expect other people to follow this.

Shoot for the moon...
but don't let your ambition get the better of you.

The sky's the limit...
but more limitations are necessary in order to be civilized.

Practice does not always make progress...
but practice makes more progress than no practice.

Life is unfair...
but you should try to make life as fair as possible.