Deep_Breaths

I AM
owner of ALL the books
a grand writer (I hope!)
really hungry
1/3 of the Three Musketeers
feeling poetic
in love with life
#christian
a ballerina <3

My Fave Books:
-The Hot Zone (by Richard Preston)
-The Giver (by Lois Lowry)
-Where the Forest Meets the Stars (by Glendy Vanderah)
-To All The Boys I've Loved Before Trilogy (by Jenny Han)
-The Fault in Our Stars (by John Green)
-Wilder Girls (by Rory Power)
-The School for Good and Evil series ( by Soman Chainani)
-ALL the Hunger Games (by Suzanne Collins)

yet they are beautiful, the flowers growing in my lungs are choking me

See him and smile, he only walks away
Grow
Opening petals and creeping up my throat
No one knows
These flowers will be my demise
The flowers blossom out my mouth
The flowers grow in my chest
In my lungs their roots crawl and scratch
Agony 
Feelings rage on in spite of the pain
He doesn't feel the same way
The air floods from my lungs
Gasp
Flourish
He doesn't bother look my way
Like a rose thorn
I worship his every move
Laugh at all his jokes
He doesn't acknowledge my attempts to grad his attention
Like vines slowly draining my strength
Growing from the inside of me to the outside
And though they are beautiful
The flowers growing in my lungs
Are choking me

The Fine Line Between Love and Hate (updated)

I rub a sweaty hand across my bare scalp. The fabric of my pillow feels like a cactus, and my sheets like an oven. Gazing up at the stark, white ceiling of my reserved hospital room, I toss and turn, unable to fall back asleep. Just another perk of cancer. 
    Mom is out cold on the little chair in the corner of my room. I don't know how she sleeps there nearly every night. I sit up to see what time it is. My head is pounding so loud I'm afraid Mom can hear it. 2:47 a.m. Ugh, I'm bored out of my mind. 
    After channel surfing through my small glitchy TV, I look over at my communication board and read that today I get to enjoy another round of "Chemo for Whitney."
    Whoopee. 
    I was diagnosed with leukemia when I was thirteen, around three years ago. Leukemia is a cancer in the blood and bone marrow, in case you...

The Doctor (chapter one)

Tasha walks through the long hallway. Hands tightly clamped together. Three tall guards approach her and lead her to her destination.

Tasha is led to a dark room with interrogation mirrors on every wall, a fainting couch against one of the walls, a speaker and a microphone.

Tasha's heart pounds and she sits on the couch while nervously fidgets with her long hair. A crackling noise comes through the speaker and Tasha jumps in her seat.

"Hello, Tasha. Thank you for coming."

"It's not like I had much of a choice." Tasha replies. The voice ignores her and continues with its own speech.

"You've been brought here for an experiment." 

Tasha swallows nervously, imagining being poked with needles and injected with drugs that make her grow scales or lose her hair.

"Don't worry, it's not going to require and injections or needles." 

The voice seemed to have read her thoughts.

"The experiment will not physically injure you in any intentional...

Novel Writing Competition 2020

Ghost

Thana
I call for Mother, only she can banish the demons that hide beneath the bed. I call again and again and again and she never even calls back. I make the leap for my door, feet almost hovering over the ground in fear that something will grab me. I run down the stairs leading downstairs. Mother is sitting on her chair, staring at something. 
"Mother, you didn't come help me." I say, trying to catch her eyes. She doesn't react to my pleas whatsoever. Her cheeks glistening with tears, I realize something is wrong and walk closer to her.
"Mother, what's wrong?" I ask. The only thing that moves is a small tear rolling off her nose. I place my hand on her shoulder, in attempt to comfort her, but she never moved.
I lightly shake her shoulder, but she doesn't notice it, or me. I raise my voice slightly.
"Mother?" I wave my hand in front of her...

The First Few Chapters of my Untitled Story (comments and criticism appreciated)

Chapter One
Elphaya

The wind blows on my muted rosy cheeks. Golden sunlight leaves heavenly veins in the cropped auburn mess of hair my mother left to me. Pollen rests on my blush bottom lip. 
My pointed ears tingle slightly in the cold. I inhale the scents of the Earth and look out at the lights and social life of Higher Grounds.
I stand up to my lengthy three foot five inches height and stretch my long and skinny chartreuse wings. My toes leave the ground and I hover over the hill I’d been resting upon.
Wings weary and ears numb, I rub my back. My neck grows cold and I vaguely wish my hair wasn’t cut so short. 
“You know Elphaya, you really should stretch your wings more.” An unwanted opinion in my head mocks. 
“I don’t have that kind of time.” I retort, shortly thereafter realizing I’m talking back to a nonexistent voice created in my own subconscious. ...

All Talk

"I Don't Understand"

"I don't understand."
"I know this is hard for you."
"How can this be happening?"
"It's going to hurt for awhile."
"Can I see them?"
"They didn't want you to remember them like this."
"But they're gone now."
"I know."
"Let me see them."
"Alright, he's in here."
"My baby..."
"I'm so sorry."
"Do you know what went wrong?"
"Not yet, but we're looking."
"I just don't understand how this could happen."
"I know."
"You said you could save him."
"We thought we could."
"But you couldn't"
"We tried."
"You could've tried harder."
"Ma'am, there was nothing we could do for him"
"We'll never know, now will we."
"Um-"
"He still had so much life left."
"Ma'am-"
"No, don't."
"I'm sorry."
"He's gone..."

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Love, Mom

Annie's doorbell awoke her with jolt. She painted on a counterfeit smile and trudged downstairs to answer the door. There was no one at the door, only a huge brown package was left at her doorstep. Annie lugged the bundle inside and tore it open.
Hundreds of handwritten letters were crammed inside the parcel. Confused yet curious, Annie opened the first letter. Reading it, tears welled up in her eyes. 
Dearest Annie,
Everything will be alright.
Love, Mom

Hugging the letters to her chest Annie wept. Grieving her mother, she clutched the letters that were more precious than diamonds.

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Love, Mom

Annie's doorbell awoke her with a surprise. She painted on a fake smile and trudged downstairs to answer the door. There was no one at the door, but a huge brown package was left at her doorstep. Annie lugged the package inside and tore it open.
Hundreds of handwritten letters were crammed inside the box. Confused but curious, Annie opened the first letter. Reading it, tears welled up in her eyes. 
Dearest Annie,
Everything will be alright.
Love Mom

Hugging the letters to her chest Annie wept. Missing her mother, but holding the letters as if they were diamonds.

The Fine Line Between Love and Hate

I rub my sweaty hand across my bare scalp. The fabric of my pillow irritating me like crazy. Gazing up at the stark, white ceiling of my reserved hospital room, I toss and turn, unable to fall asleep. 
    Mom is out cold on the little chair in the corner. I don't know how she sleeps there almost every night. I sit up to see what time it is. My head pounding so loud I'm afraid Mom can hear it. 2:47 a.m. Ugh, I'm bored out of my mind. 
    After searching through my small TV, I look over at my communication board and read that today I have to suffer through another round of "Chemo for Whitney." Whoopee. 
    I was diagnosed with leukemia wen I was twelve, three years ago. Leukemia is a blood and bone marrow cancer, in case you didn't know. We though it was gone halfway through year two, but...

Waiting

*a story told through inner monologue*
I can't believe this is happening. After months of waiting, it's finally here. 
This room is cold, maybe a bit warm now. I'm so excited.
Where are they? It's been awhile now.
What was that noise? Are they back?
Oh my gosh. That's them.
My newborn granddaughter. She's so beautiful.

Matched: Chapter Two, James Fikess

Mother and I sit in the Matcher's courtroom, waiting anxiously for him to appear. Mother holds my hand and we watch the door of the courtroom.
    I let my eyes wander away and I see James Fikess and his mother both perched on a blue couch across the courtroom. He must be the other one to be taken this year.
   James and I have a complicated history. In grade school we were inseparable. Friends for life, but when we moved up to the higher schools, we drifted apart and somehow never talked since then.
   The sudden shock hits me. James and I are going to be Matched, together. I can't imagine having to talk to him right now, let alone MARRY him. Somewhere in the middle of my discovery, the Matcher enters the room.
   He has a long purple robe coated in shining gems, casting a lightshow onto the boring tile floor. He's got a...

Matched: Chapter One, The Baby Blue Gown

A baby blue gown studded with elegant pearls lie on the bed in front of me. Mother has laid it out for me, knowing I would try to avoid them.
   I place a hand on the lacy hem on the gown. The Matcher would come today and take one child above 16 from every village in Frella. Every year he goes down the line of names, this time it will be mine.
   Mother knows that this year I will be taken so she decides I shall look my best. I'd of course rather wear my simple brown leggings and tan shirt but Mother knows that won't help me in the Matching. 
   Why we have the Matching, no one can say. Only President Crown and Maiden Corella know. And of course the Matcher. 
   Mother knocks lightly on my door. I turn my head and tell her to come in. She sits on my bed and beckons me...

Chapter One

Mother knocks lightly on my door. I turn my head and tell her to come in. She sits on my...

Esme <part 1>

Prologue

A blood-chilling scream rings through the city.
    The woman responsible for the loud yell holds a tightly swaddled blanket close to her chest. A towering shadow corners her. 
    “Please no…” the woman sobs, clutching the blanket closer to her body. The figure swoops down low to the ground, shadows creep through the grooves carved deep into the earth by hundreds of shoes over the centuries.  
    The woman stands, her hands quivering against the soft linen of the cloth she holds. Shadows crawl underneath her feet, pulling the balance from under her feet.
    She falls to the ground with a loud wail, hitting her head against the stone wall she cowered beside. Darkness clouds over her blood-speckled eyes. She watches as her newborn child is swept away from her.
    “Be strong dear Emse, your gift will lead you well.” the weakened mother cries. Her eyelids slowly close, the vision of her daughter’s magic glowing like...

#aprilaprilapril 40 Follows Competition!!!!

Okay, so I know everybody's suuuper bored and all so I'm having a competition. This time, the challenge of my competition is to write a story that either makes you laugh, cry or angry. It NEEDS to set off emotions.

Rules:

• To enter you must include #aprilaprilapril in the title and link it in the comments
  • Your story must trigger some sort of emotion
  • Word limit 100-3000
  • If two stories are oddly similar, I will accept only the first submitted, the second may enter a new piece
  • Only one-two entries per writer
It doesn't matter what your entry is about, whether it's a childhood memory, a random made-up story, etc.

Prizes!!!!!
  • First place- two reviews of your choice, five likes of my choice
  • Second place- one review of your choice, three likes of my choice
  • Third place- two likes of your choice
  • Runner up- one like of your choice

Competition starts 4-21-2020
Competition ends 5-5-2020

Goooooooood luck!!!!!!!!!!

WS 4-4

Um, not much has happened today, but my friend and I had a meme war over text so I enjoyed that!

The Fine Line Between Love and Hate

The Boy Next Door

Lathering my hands with lavender lotion, I look out my bedroom window to see a fluffy white cat prance past the window directly across from mine. I stifle a giggle and peer into the dark room. I don't recognize the objects sitting in the usually vacant room.
    The house next to ours is owned by Mrs. Harper, she's basically the neighborhood grandma. She was supposed to live in a nursing home but her family one of her relatives should come to stay with her instead. Maybe the stuff in the empty room belongs to whoever is going to live with her.
    I brush my questions away and amble to my bed. Opening my computer, I find myself gazing through my window into the unfamiliar room once more. Why am I so curious about this? 
    My eyes widen when I see light spill into the room next door. I crane my neck so...

Seeking Title Ideas!!! PLS DON'T PASS

(PLEASE say if you think this is stupid) Elphaya is a fiery and sarcastic sprite. She's about 3 foot 5 inches, her ears are visibly pointed and, most obvious, she's got chartreuse wings sticking out of her back. Elphaya's got cropped auburn hair and keeps a compact weapon in her boot.
    She has a good guy friend named Atlantis Daedalus, who's a pixie, and they are NOT romantically together. (He's quite possibly twice her size)
    Elphaya works in HGPC, which stands for Higher Ground People Central, where she is a security guard. And she keeps butting head with Alwinda, a moody pixie.
    When Elphaya's on duty for work, she gets kidnapped by a 16 year old human named Michael O'Sullivan. He wants her to steal the Higher Grounds power source, the Magique. He threatens her with a serum called T'arken that he'll inject into HG if she doesn't obey his orders. 
   ...

Seeking Title Ideas!!! PLS DON'T PASS

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've decided to write a full story and I've already started writing a bit, but I'm not sure how to keep the plot going.
    (PLEASE say if you think this is stupid) Elphaya is a fiery and sarcastic sprite. She's about 3 foot 5 inches, her ears are visibly pointed and, most obvious, she's got pale yellow wings sticking out of her back. Elphaya's got cropped auburn hair and keeps a compact weapon in her boot.
    She has a good guy friend named Atlantis Daedalus, who's a human, and they are NOT romantically together. (He's quite possibly twice her size)
    I'm love this story to death, I'm just not sure how to continue it. Please, please help!!! If you've got any...

WS 4-3

I'm currently working on a new story *title to be determined*, and it's going so well. I'm just overjoyed!

#1stChallenge

Name: Elphaya Siofra
Species: Sprite
​Physical appearance: Pointy ears, cropped auburn hair, pale yellow wings, three foot five inches tall, chocolaty brown eyes
​Birth date: 4-12-02
Good traits: Determined and strong
Flaws: Fiery and sarcastic
Gender: Female
Sexuality: Straight as a ruler
Job: Security guard

WS 4-2

Today I had a challenge... thing... with my class today and I landed in the top 5, not huge, but made a difference in my day.

Writing Streak Challenge Week 4

WS 4-1

warning, very short

My friend and I always have meme wars to start the day, gotta love a good meme!!! Never ceases to make me laugh.

Five Line Fiction

December

December is colder without Mom. She used to make us cookies and knit us ugly sweaters that Natalie never admitted to loving. Now, Natalie cries and wraps Mom's sweaters around her, and lies in her own nest of grief. She thinks it's her fault, Dad and I can't convince her otherwise. It's not her fault Mom's never coming home.

WS 3-5

I'm so hungry, you don't understand.

WS 3-4

Covid-19's kind of a big deal.

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

The Flowers in My Lungs are Choking Me

I see him and smile, but he only walks away
They grow
They open their petals and creep up my neck
No one knows
These flowers will be my demise
The flowers blossom out my mouth
The flowers grow in my chest
They cause suffering
But my feelings rage on
He doesn't feel the same way
The flowers suck the air away from my lungs
And I gasp for a breath
The blooms flourish
The way I feel about him, too
How he can't even look my way
Feels like a rose thorn lodged in my throat
I worship his every move
Laugh at all his jokes
But how he doesn't acknowledge my attempts to grad his attention
Feels like a marigold locked in my chest
Like a primrose growing from the inside of me to the outside
The flowers growing in my lungs
Are choking me

WS 3-3

Family's everything, but so is food.

Q&A ANSWERS!!!

Thanks to everyone who asked me questions so I've got something to do all day!

mia_:)

What state do you live in?
personal, (i'm really sorry)
Do you have any siblings?
too personal, sorry.
What is your biggest source of inspiration?
Well, I listen to loads of music, so I'd have to say music is my biggest inspiration.
Also, what do you like to do outside of writing?
I love to draw, and I'm pretty darn good (I actually drew my profile picture!) I love watching Diagnosis on Netflix 
Also, I'm assuming that Deep Breaths isn't your real name. What is? 
No, my name isn't actually Deep Breaths, but I'd rather not say what my real name is.

OpalDove

How do you do it? I really like writing (and not to toot my own horn but I think I have some decent pieces) but I cannot for the likes of me get anyone to ever see it ever.
Not tooting...

WS 3-2

Sometimes I wish I'm someone else.

Five Line Fiction

December

Molly's growing up so fast, I barely get to see her anymore. I can feel myself fading away, it hurts. Every now and then she'll talk to me, but never by my name. Some days I just want to disappear, and I do. All I want is my girl back.

Writing Streak Challenge Week 3

WS 3-1

Life hurts but it's still beautiful.

30 followers (and I'm bored) Q&A

So, since I've got 30 followers, and I'm bored out of my mind, I'm holding a Q&A. You can ask anything WITH IN REASON. If I feel a question is too personal, I will not answer it.
To ask a question, just comment below.

Thanks!
                                                                    Deep_Breaths

Midine (Chapters One-Three)

Andy gets on the boat first. Then Josh, then Bethanne. I finally get onto the small boat, reluctantly and cautious. Beth and Andy are running to our three-bedroom cabin. Josh senses my worries and he grabs my hand and gives it a comforting squeeze. "It's fine, Audrey. It'll be fun." He whispers. I smile and we walk together.
    "I can't believe we were chosen to come on this boat." Andy gushes. "I mean, what are the chances that four college besties are ALL chosen to go on a once in a lifetime trip?!" I laugh. Andy's always been so enthusiastic about everything.
    Bethanne found our cabin and we all go inside. "Whoa," I mumble under my breath. The cabin has a huge kitchen, a gigantic living room, two bathrooms and three rooms. Andy runs into the first room, the one with a full screen TV and screams "DIBS!" I roll my eyes.
    Beth walks...

Midine (Chapter Three)

I'm woken up to beaming sunlight stabbing my eyes. Andy's directly behind me, struggling and whining. 
    "Wh-what's going on?" I ask, the binds on my wrists beginning to itch and scratch my skin.
    "I'm not sure, but the Midine are gone." Andy says. She tries to stand up, but the ropes hold her down. "Ugh! This is useless!" She gives up.
    "Are they gone-gone, or will the Midine be back?" I ask, worrying immensely. They killed both Josh and Beth, and I know they could easily slice Andy and I in half... but they don't yet.
    "Again, not sure," Andy returns. Her face suddenly lights up. I follow her gaze to a lonely arrow.
    "We could use it to cut the binds!" I rejoice. Andy smiles and nods. We start our struggle to crawl to the arrow.
    When we finally reach the arrow, Andy grabs it...

The Boy Next Door

Rubbing my hands with lavender lotion, I look out my bedroom window to see a fluffy white cat prance past the window directly across from mine. I stifle a giggle and peer into the foggy room. I don't recognize the objects sitting in the usually empty room.
    The house next to ours is owned by Mrs. Harper, she's basically the neighborhood grandma. She was going to live in a nursing home but one of her family members is coming to stay with her. Maybe the stuff in the empty room belongs to whoever is going to live with her.
    I brush my questions away and walk to my bed. Opening my computer, I find myself looking through my window into the room once more. Why am I so curious about this? 
    My eyes widen when I see light spill into the room next door. I crane my neck so I can see...

Flash Fiction Competition, more or less...

This is not exactly a competition, more like a gallery of talents and stories. But it gives all you flash fiction lovers a chance to shine!

The only rules are below:

1. You must link your story below
  2. 200-3000 word limit (so you got a bit of room)
  3. You can choose one of the prompts below (way below) but you may also choose your own
  4. You may enter TWICE, but no more than that
  5. This "competition" starts today (and will end when there are enough stories submitted) 
Prompts:
  • Your character is a young child’s imaginary friend. The child is growing up, and their friend is slowly fading away 
  • There is an urban legend floating around about a taxi that doesn’t take you where you want to go, but rather where you need to go. Write about a character that gets into this taxi. Where do they go and why? Alternately - who or what is the driver?
  • Write about a character whose...

Hidden Demons (Chapter One)

I have this... ability. I can tell how dangerous someone is just by looking at them. My mind 'rates' them, one meaning about as deadly as a marshmallow and ten being an immortal psychotic serial killer. For example, I'm a three, my grandmother would be a one, whereas a man with a rifle and a list of enemies would be a seven, maybe and eight. 
    "Michelle, come on. We'll be late. And you know that Mrs. Butler does NOT like it when we're late!" My best friend, Casey (who by the way is a two point five) 
    "Yeah, yeah, I know." I say, running beside Casey.
    "I can't believe we're going to be late again, that's what? The third time this month?" Casey whines. Casey is one of those people who hates being late, how she's friends with me I'll never know.
    "It's fine, we'll be okay." I return. I can tell Casey doesn't believe me...

Invisible Friend

Molly's the best seven year old ever. She has such an amazing imagination, that's how I've come to be!
    One day, Molly was bored and her older sister, Lizzie, didn't want to play with her. So, Molly, being so super creative, thought up an imaginary friend... ME!
Ever since then, Molly and I have been on loads of adventures. One time we went to the moon, boy, that sure was fun! Then another time, Molly and I learned to fly, so we flew around the house. Lizzie got mad when we had that adventure, though (we spilled her nail polish).
    Lately, Molly has been using me less and I'm not sure why. The last time we played was two weeks ago. Two WHOLE weeks!!! And all Molly wanted to play was this weird game called "Boyfriend." What is that even supposed to mean?!
    When Molly plays "Boyfriend", she calls me Jeremy. My name is never...

Midine (Chapter Two)

"Beth!" I scream, but she disappears into the darkness of Iantillas. Andy lets out a second scream and we all see two large eyes peering at us. Our lights gleam off of rows of razor sharp teeth. I hold my breath. Josh pulls me back and we slowly back up, Andy behind us. 
    We run and rustling becomes tearing up the ground. Andy starts crying, Josh runs faster and I nearly trip. We reach our tent and I notice the familiar point of the harpoon guns. Josh and Andy grab one and I peer out the opening of our tent.
    The creatures are nowhere to be seen. But I don't let my guard down. I jump back when a hand appears on the ground. Immediately I recognize the ring and nail polish. "Beth?" I whisper. When no answer comes, I grab the hand and pull it closer.
    The hand is cold as ice...

Midine (Chapter One)

Beth walks...

#RengaChallenge-3

Sitting on my porch,
Thoughts rebounding in my head,
Cool breeze on my face.

I should be sleepy, but I am wide awake.
Impossible is becoming more than I can take.

If only I could freeze this moment.
I never want it to end,
But I know it'll have to.

If I Can't, No One Can-#agustdv2020 | Poetic

I watch you
I hear you talk
No, not talk, lie
You don't see me
Look at me
LOOK AT ME!
You ignore me
All I wanted was for you to love me
If I can't have you
No one can
I'll just have to end you
Oh well
Your little girlfriend will find someone new
I sharpen my knives
Find my poison
You never look my way
I slip my poison in your drink
Wait
What
NO
Don't give it to her!
Stop
STOP THIS!
She drank it
I can't believe you let her
Now she'll never make it through the night
Oh well
Now you're all mine

Out the Window (WS 2-5)

I look out my window. Sky vaguely gray. Clouds moving with every breeze. I turn my head and see the boys across the street. No way to communicate. I see my sisters laughing outside and my mom watering flowers. So many things happening out the window 

Peter Pan | Poetic

He's gonna fly to the second star
Because he knows he can
He never wants to grow up
All he'll do is run laugh jump and play
Here in Neverland
The lost boys are his crew
They can be found sword fighting with Captain Hook
Flying high with Wendy Darling
He's got his head way up in the clouds
He'll never keep his feet on the ground
I want to believe in you, but in my head
I know you're too good to be true
Peter Pan

Cough Up a Rose (story version of The Flowers in My Lungs are Choking Me)

I sit in my room. Staring at the rose on my floor. I don't know what's happening to me. Another thorn pierces my windpipe and I scream and cry out. Coughing up another flower, another rose, I feel tears roll down my bright red rose cheeks. What is happening to me...
    "
Dahlia. What are you doing?" Megan asks. I look at my best friend and jerk my head towards David and she suddenly understands. When I sidle over to him in the cafe, I feel a sudden pain in my chest, but I brush it off. I paint my best smile across my face and turn to David.
    "Hey, David!" I say, the sweetness in my voice causing an instant cavity. David spins on his seat and nods his head. "Hey, Dahlia, right?" My heart melts and I giggle. "Yeah, that's me." I answer, giggles still bubbling in my chest.  
    He nods once...

Oldest Sister #escapril | Poetic

Little sister breaks a plate
That's okay, you didn't mean to
Parents gush
Older sister breaks a plate
Pick up your mess, what's wrong with you
Parents yell
Little sister screams and yells
Hush, hush you're alright
Parents soothe
Older sister raises her voice
Don't yell, why can't you understand that
Parents lecture
Little sister pampered
Older sister has to watch the brat
Parents sit and enjoy the show
Roll my eyes at the little one
I am the older sister

What's the Weather (WS 2-4)

Sunlight beams into my room and I breathe it in. Later wind roars and branches scrape my window. Hail hits the glass and I'm shocked. I feel like asking the world to make up it's mind. "What's the weather gonna be? Can't you just choose?" I nearly shout out the door. 

Timeline | Poetic

I'm only eight
The picture on the mantel
I'm kissing a frog
Wishing for a prince

I'm fourteen
The picture on the wall
I'm walking on a beach
Sunset nips at my eyes

I'm twenty
The picture in my wallet
I'm hugging him close
He's an angel

We're twenty-four
The picture on the dresser
We're at the altar
Flowers woven in my hair

We're forty
The selfie I just took
Our daughters beside us
Life is good

Photo Booth | Poetic

Take a picture, it'll last longer
I say
So he does
What about the photo booth
He asks
I shrug my shoulders
Why not
I say
Fish faces
We take three
Tongue out
Only one
The last one
My eyes close
When we get the pictures
My mind is blown
He holds up a sign
Prom?
My eyes water and I whip my head around
He's standing there
His adorable smirk smeared across his face
Yes
I say
Married for eight years
Two kids
Every day I thank god for the photo booth

Laughter on the Wind (WS 2-3)

My window is wide open, my sisters laughter dances on the breeze. Outside my window I see newly planted flowers in my window box. The scent of pollen fills my nose. Sunlight spills in my room like a glass of water tipped over. What a beautiful day.

Liar, Liar #escapril3

He hold me close
Tells me he loves me
Liar
Kisses my lips
Tells me he'd die for me
Liar
He smiles
When I need him he's gone
At least that's true

The Girls Beside Me | Poetic

No splitting them up
Try and you'll fail
Arms linked
Matching bracelets
All of them lovely
Nothing can break the trio
Apart they suffer
Together nobody mourns
If only I could be like
The girls beside me

Thunder and Lightning | Poetic

Thunder snaps
Lightning listens
Thunder yells
Lightning listens
Perhaps He's like Thunder
Maybe I'm like Lightning
He snaps
I listen
He yells
I listen
Yes
Perhaps He's Thunder
And I'm Lightning

Queen of Hearts | Poetic

The queen
She says
All the boys adore
She says
Disobey and it's off with your head
She says
Hearts are weakness
She says
Run away Alice
She says
Bury here over there
I say

Guinevere's Beauty | Poetic

Guinevere's beauty reflects in the pond
She swoons and gushes over the sight
Pity the forest
She scoffs
For when I leave
So will the beauty
Soon Guinevere's beauty vanishes from the pond
And the forest remains the same

Three Musketeers | Poetic (especially for abi's pov and Anne Blackwood)

Girl one raises her pen in the air
Girl two pulls out her laptop and types away
Girl three plays a melody on a guitar
All so different
All so talented
Girl one is romantic
Girl two is energetic
Girl three is dramatic
All so different
All so talented
Girl one is my bestie
Girl two is my bestie
Girl three is me
All so different
But all the same 

Poetic | Poetic

Words are painted by the clicking of keys
Pictures and illustrations fill my head
Wishing my characters could live and comfort me when I'm lonely
Poems are my savior when life bores me
Writing calms and helps my emotions simmer down
Songs and melodies fill my mind with ideas
Nothing keeps my head above water but poetry
Listening to my sonnets and ballads being preformed
Only this keeps me sane 
I'm just feeling poetic

Medusa | Poetic

Nobody looks
Shield eyes
People avoid her
Animals scatter
Catch her gaze
Turn to stone
Poor poor child looks in her eyes
Thousands of statues
Placed in her home
The snakes in her hair hiss
Twisting on her scalp
But
What if Medusa sees her reflection
What would happen
If Medusa looks in the mirror
Would she turn to stone, too?

Curtains Closed (WS 2-2)

I decide that the sun doesn't need me today. It won't miss me. Clouds pepper the sky and rain falls from the sky. Curtains over my windows. Nobody cares that I have my curtains closed. 

Girlhood #escapril2

Mom talks to me and describes these feelings
Why does girlhood have to be so hard 
Blood stains my pure undergarments
Bras line my dresser drawers
Pink, ebony, blush nail polish
Hair shines with grease
Pimples sprinkled on my face
Girlhood
Why do you mock me?

Dork Diaries Movie (for my little sister... the dork ((hehe))

“DORK DIARIES THE MOVIE” flashes on the screen, then we fade into scene one….

Scene 1

Open on a girl (Nikki), walking into an ice cream shop, looking around, and there stands Brandon, holding a big purple box addressed “To: Nikki”. Then the screen starts to pull back, revealing it’s just Nikki daydreaming in a classroom on her desk. The dream bubble suddenly pops when we hear a loud school bell. Nikki snaps to her senses and grabs her belongings and runs out. In the hallway we see two other girls (Chloe and Zoey) quickly join Nikki.

Nikki: Chloe, Zoey, what assignment was Mr. Charr talking about? (Turns to face Chloe)

Chloe: Ummm, I don’t know, I wasn’t listening (shrugs shoulders and looks at peach pink phone) OMG!! Nikki!! (Faces Nikki with a huge grin) The new ice cream shop, Sprinkles and Strawberries is having its grand opening tonight!!! We should so go!!

Nikki: (flustered look on her face) I’d...

Jellyfish | Poetic

Tentacles sting
Beating like a heart
But no heart here
Medusa lacks blood
No brain
Thoughts are vacant
Everywhere

But What If It's All Wrong? Full Collection

BUT WHAT IF IT'S ALL WRONG?

Everyone's got two. Two small marks on their upper arms. One for your love and one for your enemy. There's a match for each one, and only one match. Nobody knows why we have them, we all just think that the angels and demons pitied and laughed at us.
    I walked through Middleton High School, pulling my sleeves over my dry hands. Only pulling them away to open my locker. Brushing my hair away from my eyes, I see Brody walk down the hall and smile when he sees me.
    "Hey, Lavaliere!" Brody gives me a tight hug around my waist. I let out a loud shriek. Realizing that everyone is watching me, I lower my voice. "Brody! Stop, you know I hate when you do that." I tell him. Brody just laughs.
    I grab my books and walk to class. Brody follows me and I quicken my pace when...

I Am Too | Poetic

I can see you're scared of your emotions
I can see you're looking for distractions
I can see you're hoping you're not hopeless
I can tell you're tired of the acting
I am too
You're talking and rambling on
You're walking in your sleep
You're whispering into the night
You're all alone and LA doesn't feel like home
I am too

When Push Comes to Shove, He's The One Who Suffers | Poetic

He pushed me down
Punched my face
Broke my nose
Crimson red blood runs down my cracked lips
But when push comes to shove
He's the one who suffers
Tears turn pale red
He laughs and beats my chest
Kicks my waist
Snaps my arm
But when push comes to shove
He's the one who suffers
Cackles and howls at my pain
No pity in his dark beady eyes
He tastes the salty blood on his hand
Knocks me out
But when push comes to shove
He's the one who suffers

Our Love is Like | Poetic #1stchallenge

Our love is like a glass of lemonade
The lemons are sour
There's not enough sugar
The straw is bent and broken down the back

Our love is like a mug of hot cocoa
The heat burns my tongue
The marshmallows have sunk
There's not enough sweetener

Our love is like a bottle of water
The lid always opens at the wrong times and the bottle spills
The water is warm
There's no taste

Our love is like a cup of coffee
The taste is bitter
There's no creamer
The cup burns my hand

Our love is hate

What Can I Say But... It's Complicated | Poetic

Okay
Yeah, I'm insane
But what's so terrible about that
I am out of my head
I am out of my mind
Sorry, I can't explain it
What can I say but... 
It's complicated

Okay
Yeah, I'm beautiful
But what's so great about that
I am out of my dress
I am out of my heels
Sorry, I can't explain it
What can I say but... 
It's complicated

Okay
Yeah, I'm smart
But what's so unique about that
I am out of my body
I am out of my brain
Sorry, I can't explain it
What can I say but... 
It's complicated

After... After... After

After He Told Me He Loved Me

After listening to his voice for years, after laughing at all his jokes, after watching him take HER to prom and not me, after writing thousands of poems he'll never know were for him. After lying and saying everything was okay, after crying in my room because he kissed someone else. After dying to taste his lips on mine, after gasping every time he'd talk to me, after my heart quickened every time he touched me. After all the lies he told me, after his cheats and betrayal, after forgiving everything he did, after he admitted he left her for me. After loving him for as long as I could remember, after he told me he loved me, after I was finally happy, after knowing the taste of his lips, after knowing every part of him better than me, after he got down on one knee, after I walked down the isle, after our firstborn was here. Before we were...

Match breaker | Part Two of But What If It's All Wrong

Brody and I search the internet for our mark crisis. I rub my shoulders and close my eyes. I just wish these marks would disappear. But then I also wish that my love mark would stay. I don't want to leave Brody.
    We find a website that is supposedly written by someone with the same condition. She advises to ignore your LOVE mark because your ENEMY mark will take over. I start to panic.
    I can tell that Brody is flustered and doesn't like what he's reading. He pulls the laptop away from me and searches another website. I attempt to look over his shoulder, but he turns away from me. "Brody, what are you doing?" I ask. "Just a second," He replies.
    I sit back on my bed. Honestly, I begin to believe my enemy marking for a split second before catching myself. No, Lavaliere. Don't do that. Brody turns to...

April Showers #escapril1

Rain falls
Puddles fill
Flowers bloom
Petals open to the sky
Pollen blowing in the breeze
April showers
Bring new flowers
New flowers paint the ground
Colors and smells of love
April showers

But What If It's All Wrong?

I grab my books and walk to class. Brody follows me and I quicken my pace when he catches up. "C'mon Lav, I'm...

Fantasies I Can't wake Up From | Poetic

I've got these feelings in my head
Someone give me some paper
Someone give me some crayons
I'm feeling like a child
And I can't describe why
In all my dreams you're the king and I'm the queen
I make fun of you and you tease me back
And I get mad
Even though I'm thinking of you as my husband 
I don't know how to say it but you complete me
And I feel a little nauseous and my hands are shaking
My hear is racing and my head is aching
I guess it means you're near by
I imagine your face and dreams become fantasies 
Fantasies where you cling to me like you'd never let go
What a lie
Fantasies where I'm next to you and we never leave
Fantasies I can't wake from
And I don't want to either

Daily Diary Keeping Me Sane (read footnote!!!)

(BTW, this is a fictional diary entry, written by the most annoying girl I've made up yet)
Dear Diary whom is keeping me sane,
    I can NOT believe what happened today! Benjamin Williamson asked me out over FaceTime! Could that get any more romantic! I love how adorbs he is and how his laugh fills me with light and glitter!
    I'm so hungry right now! Like, I could so go for a sparkling lemonberry splash with a hint of passion-fruit-kiwi extract. And a meal of fried salmon sprinkled with sea salt harvested from the dead sea and marinated in a duck egg sauce.
    Maybe a hot lava cake for dessert!!! Oh, or maybe a fudge filled strawberry-banana muffin with shredded apple on top! I could go on forever. Anyway, today Mom and Daddy bought me a new boat. No, not a stupid little rowboat, a new yacht!!!!
    Well, Mom is calling me...

What We Seem To | Poetic

Boys seem to like the girls who undress before the second date
They like the girls who kiss and tell
Girls seem to like the guys who laugh at their jokes
They like the guys who buy them drinks
But what we seem to like is what we seem to hate
When our thoughts merge and we think as one
What we seem to like isn't what we like
It's what society seems to like
So that pushes us towards seeming to like them too
Our minds are unique
What one seems to like
Is not what I seem to like
Differing minds are alike
Haven't we been here before

The Darkness Ceases for Nothing | Poetic

A student goes missing
No one cares or notices
A teacher goes missing
No one cries or mourns
A friend goes missing 
Searches are held

A bug dies
Nobody knows
A pet dies
The owner cries
A  child dies
Everyone mourns

Nothing ends there
Metaphors and words
Nothing ceases
Sobs and screams
Noting stops
Death and betrayal
Nothing happens

The darkness spreads and causes this
Lives ruined
Deaths caused
Tears shed
Nobody found

Only | Poetic

Nothing can fill up your place in my heart
Not new love
Not old love
Only you
Only your soft buttercream eyes and pale sunrise hair
Only your laugh that caused my mind to go sideways
Only your smile that made my heart pond so loud I worried you'd hear it
Only the taste of your lips
Only the way your hand fits in mine
Only your love for me
But you don't love me
Do you

Pocket Poem

Pocket Poem

I want to wash my hands to rid of your germs, but they stick like honey to my palms | Loved and Lost 
By abi's pov

The "boy next door"
-God, you're such a cliche
with your fluffy white cat in your windowsill,
& your chaotic dancing in the mirror,
& the succulents in your flower box,
& that white streak in your hair.
 You got this smile that spreads by contact,
A laugh that rocks the room like reckless coughs. 
Why isn't avoiding you easy?
Why do your texts makes me sick and queasy?
I wish I could quarantine my heart from your grip,
I wish there was a mask against the temptation of your lips,
But they're sold out in every store.
I wish you wouldn't call me when I'm bored,
Wish I could disinfect your name from my brain. 
I wish a lot of things these days,
but none scare me as much as you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've...

Alternative World Left in Pieces | Poetic

Pearly gates look more like a picket fence
White light glows red
Girls walk past and glare
She just wants to beautiful
Attention she praised
But now
She hides
Her cover up is caving in
She crawls across the tar-covered ground
The world is bent
Left in pieces
She doesn't remember coming here
Her hair has become coarse and split
Her pale pink dress turns black
Her lips of kissed sunshine become bloody and broken
Her knees are scraped and ripped
She cries and listens to the alternative world
Break and fall
Left in pieces

The only rules are below:

1. You must link your story below
Prompts:
  • Write about a character whose...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

The Flowers in My Lungs are Choking Me

They grow
No one knows
These flowers
Will be my demise
The flowers blossom out my mouth
The flowers grow in my chest
In my lungs their roots crawl
In my heart their petals cause trouble
They cause suffering
My feelings rage on
He doesn't feel the same way
The flowers bloom and suck the air away from my lungs
They flourish
The way I feel about him
But he can't return it
Feels like a rose to the stomach
The way I worship his every move
But he can't look me in the eye
Feels like a marigold to the head
The flowers growing in my lungs
Are choking me

Sea of Subconscious | Poetic

I've fallen into a sea of silence and regret
Minds alike walk and ignore my pleas
The sea began to swallow me
I cried out and sobbed for help
No one cared or noticed
Then I caught someone's eye
Everything I tried
They didn't turn or attempt to help me
The sea used it's arms and power to pull me down
There has to be a reason that this is happening to me
Nothing I've done helps
The sea strangles me and down I plummet
The sea is dark
No light
No fish swim by and I realize
There is no sea
Just my own subconscious
Swallowing me whole
Is that why I can't seem to grasp my way out
Maybe that's what I've done

Writing Streak Challenge Week 2

The House Across the Street (WS 2-1)

The open window paints a clear view of the house across the street. Windows are extended out to welcome the world. Sunlight dances on the baby blue color the house is covered with. The boys play games in the yard, or maybe ride their bikes. If only I could go say Hi. 

The Flowers in My Lungs are Choking Me | Poetic

They grow
They open their petals
No one knows
These flowers
Will be my demise
The flowers
Grow in my chest
In my lungs
In my heart
They cause suffering
My feelings rage on
He doesn't feel the same way
The flowers bloom
They flourish
And the flowers growing in my lungs
Choke me

Please | Poetic

Hold my hand
Lead me on
Kiss my lips
Stroke my hair
Love my flaws
Feed my ego
Care for me
Please
Send someone to
Hold me
Love me
Keep me
Please

But | Poetic

Call me enemy
But keep me closer

Call me nobody
But kiss my lips

Call me worthless
But whisper your need for me in my ear 

Call me ugly
But gush over my beauty

Call me nothing
But love my everything

Call me dead
But feel alive with me

Call me hated
But adore me

Call me disgusting
But hold me all night

Call me yours
But call me everything else, too

He Told Me | Poetic

We were thirteen
And I told him I loved him
He smiled and kissed my cheek
Fireworks went off
He walked with me
And we were both happy
Then he told me
The truth was painful
We were too young

We were twenty 
He kissed my lips
My heart danced
We twirled and sang
And we were both happy
Then he told me
The truth was painful
There was someone else

We were thirty
We were walking down the isle
We smiled and kissed
Champagne popped
We danced together
We were both happy
Then he told me
He loved me

We were thirty-two
We were in the hospital
He smiled and kissed my forehead
She was perfect
We held her together
We were both happy
Then he told me
He'd never leave us

We were forty
We were all together
We smiled and hugged
It was love
Together
We were all happy
Then he told me
Our life was perfect

Once Upon a Time | Poetic

Once upon a time
We were going to be together forever
Now we don't want to
Once upon a time
We were happy
Now we aren't
Once upon a time
There was a ring on my finger
Now there's not
Once upon a time
I knew the taste of your lips
Now I can't see your face
Once upon a time
You told me you loved me
Now you can't even look me in the eye
Once upon a time
Our story ended

Would You? | Poetic

If I was the student
Would you be my teacher?

If I was a question
Would you be my answer?

If I was a sinner
Would you be the preacher?

If I was broken
Would you fix me up?

If I was gone 
Would you go too?

If I was lost
Would you find me?

If I was crying
Would you lend me a shoulder?

If I was dying
Would you lay beside me?

If I was in love
Would you love me too?

Try | Poetic

It feels like I can't speak
Try
I lose all control and I can't take it back
Try
It hurts and I don't want to look
Try
I imagine everyone leaving me and I can't remember what I did
Try
Life itself feels like a struggle and I don't want to fight anymore
Try
The light pierces my eyes and I don't want to open them
Try
Words are like knifes and it kills me to talk
Try
It feels like I can't even try
Try anyway

#CommunityChallenge

This was probably one of the most difficult things I've done this week (ah, jeez). It took me around 30 minutes to decide who I was going to choose.

1. abi's pov 
abi's pov has written some of the most beautiful poems I've ever read. Some make me laugh, some make me cry, some inspire the heck out of me. I can't stress enough how fantastic her work is! She's what I'd call my "WTW bestie" (I'm so cliched).

2. Anne Blackwood
Anne's work is simply wonderful. Her work seems like it should be strung together and bound into a book. Anne's just a grand writer and she's very kind, too.

3. Poetri
Poetri's work is beautiful. Her writing is deep and fantastical. Poetri is friendly and has got a huge personality. She's written some of the few pieces that have made me tear up and cry. 

(thanks to anyone who's mentioned me in their's, sorry I'm...

#120words-WINNER/RUNNER UP!!!!!!!!!!

Thank everyone who entered, all of your entries were great!
Below are the Winner and Runner Up!!!

Winner- Hello? A Texting Romance 
Written by Princess Maria, amazing job, loved it so much!!! You'll receive ten likes.

Runner Up- Mysterious Man
Written by Fabina250, you did very well! I loved it! You'll get five likes.

Great job you two!!! You'll get your prizes on Monday!!!

#120words-reminder

The competition has already started, but you can still enter! It ends 4-4-20 so you still have some time. If you're not sure what the heck I'm talking about, go to my page and look for #120words(competition). Underneath that you can find the rules and prompts. Here's an example of a competition entry;   https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/154170/version/301236

Thanks, Deep_Breaths

Neverending | Poetic

Noises echo through my brain soon becoming words
Words melt to visions
Visions dance into reality
Reality turns to dreams
Dreams fade into words
And then I see it
Words
Visions
Reality
Dreams
Then words again
Where does it end
Does it end?

BREAKING NEWS!!! IF YOU'VE ENTERED THE #120WORDS COMPETITION YOU NEED TO READ THIS!!!

I've decided to announce the Winner and Runner Up for the #120word(competition) tomorrow. If you wish to enter please do so before 9a.m. tomorrow (or 4-5-20) and comment on the page linked below.
https://www.writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/153694/version/303456

Thanks
Deep_Breaths

I've decided to announce the Winner and Runner Up for #120word(competition) tomorrow. If you wish to enter please do so before 9a.m. tomorrow (or 4-5-20) and comment on the page linked below.

Thanks
Deep_Breaths

Write the Rainbow

How to Write a Story

This is how you write a story...
Beginning
Middle
Twist
End
Characters
Write!

Boring Monkeys Tease Every Cat Wedding! 
(Hehe this is so stupid!)

#120words stories entered so far

If you wish to enter, please comment your piece name and your name, and leave a comment on #120words(competition) so I know you're entering AND you read the rules.

We're not alone 
Fabiana250

Wake Up Call
sci-Fi

Alone
writersblockstinks

Hello? A Texting Romance
Princess Maria

Mysterious Man
Fabiana250

Candy Hearts
Dmoral13

Last Words
Hailie Ogden

Flight to Neverland
bingbong

The List
mia_:)

Wordplay
Anne Blackwood

The Longing
K-9crazy

Left to Say
Halopoet

Dishonor on Your Cow
Cordelia_Fitzgerald

Sinister Events
CrazyNinjaKid

Writing Streak (1-5)

A Matter of Life and Mozzarella
    Ella has been having cravings, (she doesn't know why) and right now, the one that tears her apart is her need for Arby's Mozzarella sticks. She's searched far and wide (meaning she's taking a journey to the fridge and freezer) in search of something remotely similar, but her luck has failed.
    As Ella begins to lose hope, her mother (let's call her Gail), goes to the store! When she comes home Ella is joyed to find that Gail has purchased a large bag of frozen Mozzarella sticks!!! Now, as we write this news report, Ella feasts on her filling meal of Mozzarella sticks. Thanks for reading and tune in for tomorrow!!! 

Ode to Lost Love | Poetic

Heartbreak stabs my mind like a blade
Dreams of him fade into "If only"
Pain replaces joy when I see his face
Words of grief are all left of pledges to love
Lost love swallows us whole
Lost love causes us to scream
Lost love results in tears
Lost love ruins memories of happiness with him
Lost love seems like forever
But
Lost love is soon replaced with New love
New love lets in the sun
New love causes us to smile
New love makes new memories, better than before
New love IS forever

#120words(competition)

After seeing one of the past competitions; the 99 words challenge, I decided to create my own competition similar to that. The prompts are below. Your story needs to be 120 words or less. To enter you must have #120words somewhere in the title of your story and you must leave a comment on this page saying you're entering.

Prompts:​
(you do NOT have to use these, they are only ideas to inspire you)

• A group of friends discover a dead body
  • A young couple runs into a serial killer
  • Someone discovers a box of candy conversation hearts are talking to them
  • A team of scientists teleport an apple to another planet, it reappears with a bite out of it
  • You're scrolling through pictures on your phone and see one of you sleeping
  • You're friend is visiting and says they just met your husband. You're single and live alone
  • A plane takes off with 80 passengers and lands with...

Coffee Eyes | Poetic

I tap my fingers on my dresser.
Gazing out the window I see his honey skin and starlight hair.
My soul melts and I turn my head from my window to avoid staring.
I feel his coffee eyes wandering through my window. 
Smile crawling upon my lips like a slow caterpillar.
He returns my smile with a face that send me chills like a cold drink of lemonade. 
I long to run outside and sit beside him.
He sends stars through the milky depths of my mind.
I blink when the sound of my sisters laughing outside my door wakes me.
Peering outside, you seem to have vanished.
The honey drips and the starlight dims.
My soul hardens.
The coffee eyes I long to see are empty.
The caterpillar smile has fallen and slipped away.
The lemonade chills are replaced with hot embarrassment.
The stars in my mind are lost in an instant.
And I realize you were never real.

The Boy Next Door

Cold Fingers

The moon shines and glistens in the in the nigh time bliss. I peer out my bedroom window and watch. I heard voices for nights and nights before.
    Night one I brush it off and go to sleep. Night two I check my rooms and decide it's nothing. Night three I feel a hand on my shoulder, I freeze and pretend to be asleep. Night four, tonight. 
    I tell Mom about the voices but she tells me it's 'the heater or dishwasher making sounds.' Yeah, okay. I know better than this. Once I walk to my room and get ready for bed, I hear the voice again.
    I immediately turn around and rush to the window. But there's nothing. "I know you're out there," I mumble into the night. Nothing happens.
    Knowing that something's going on, I sit on my bed and tap my turned off phone, hoping the voice isn't too observing. After fake typing...

BREAKING NEWS, I think...Writing Streak (1-4)

Breaking News!!! Deep_Breaths has fallen deeply in love!
    Deep_Breaths, also known as Ella, has fallen into a bad case of love. Yeah, I wish! Wouldn't that be something! 
    No, Ella's day has been rather mediocre. She's been over to visit her birth dad and they didn't do much. So instead of your normal boring update, Ella's put together a list (without using names) about all the boys she's loved before. (Hey, where have I heard that before???)

Boy one was kind, and gentle. He had sun kissed hair and rosy cheeks.
Boy two had an entrancing laugh, who made my heart melt every time.
Boy three lasted longer than the rest. No one knows that he was also boy one.
Boy four was admired in silence. I'd blush every time he'd gaze my way.
Boy five stays across the street where I can only watch, for now.
Boy six has yet to come, but I know...

Ode to Broken Things | Poetic

Light falls dark
Hearts left bloodied and bruised
Joy is but only a thought
Anger creeps like a disease
And waits to be caught
The only light is stolen
By a rusted blade
Whispers echo through a vacant jar 
Scratches on walls tell the only stories
Glasses shattered
Frames snapped
Clocks gone silent
Books with no ending
Nails bent
Bottles empty
The broken things
Wait and listen
Until the sounds succumb
For the broken things
Are all left by what we've become

Ode to Broken Things | Poetic

Light falls dark
Hearts left bloodied and bruised
Joy is but only a thought
Anger creeps like a disease
And waits to be caught
The only light is stolen
By a rusted blade
Whispers echo through a vacant jar 
Glasses shattered
Frames snapped
Clocks gone silent
Books with no ending
Nails bent
Bottles empty
The broken things
Wait 
Until the sounds succumb
For the broken things
Are all left by what we've become

I'm QUITTING WTW|Writing Streak (1-3)

Breaking News!!! Deep_Breaths is quitting Write the World

Deep_Breaths has decided to quit. She doesn't think writing is her calling. If you object to this the please comment. 

(PS READ THE MESSAGE TO READERS

Coffee Eyes | Poetic

I tap my fingers on my dresser.
The honey drips and the starlight dims.
My soul hardens.
And I realize you were never real.

Writing Streak (1-2)

New and Improved (wait for it...) RECLINER!!!

Every Tuesday and Thursday, Ella goes to visit her real dad. Today he's got a new chair which caused a tiny bit of drama. Let's go to Ella for her perspective...
    "Well, it all started when I woke up, I went downstairs to eat something and saw the new chair! It was ginormous! Now, here's the thing; before we got the new chair we had another one. And it was always 'my chair', so when we got a new one, it was mine too. 
    "I guess my sister was jealous, because she was screaming and yelling at me to, and I quote, 'Get up! It's mine! You can go sit on the couch!' I was a little rattled by this. My sister usually doesn't care about the chair, but as soon as I want to sit there, she's got to come and make me move.
   ...

In Motion

Subway Walls

She absorbs the colors rushing by. People lurking along the subway scratch messages on the ancient walls. She's shoved and elbowed out of the way. People rush to board the right subway car. She's thrust into a subway car by a woman late for work. 
    The car begins to creep ahead. She panics and pounds her gloved fists against the door. People around her begin to glare at her. She eventually gives up. The subway car hits an overturned screw and lurches forward. She's flung into a man.
    His observes as she gazes at him. She explodes into small muffled sobs. He places a gentle hand on her tangled curls. She turns to see him.
    He smiles and places his arm around her shoulder. She kisses his softly on the cheek. The air around them buzzes. Their fingers lace together.

Call Me #120words-example

"Come ON, Maxie! It's your turn!" I roll my eyes at Clara. "But this game is DUMB." She scoffs at my reasoning. "Nuh uh. You're just scared." 
    "Scared, ha!" I say as I pick up my phone. "Fine," I moan. "I'll play." Clara beams. She has that evil glint in her eye, uh oh.
"Truth or Dare?" Clara sings.I look her dead in the eye. "Dare." I snap. 
    Clara dramatically taps her chin, as though she has o think about it. "Pull out your phone," She say, I do it. "Dial your number," I raise my eyebrows, but obey. "Call." 
    I hit the call button. "This is so stu-" I stop dead. "Hello?' I hear muffled on the other end.

Writing Streak Challenge Week 1

Writing Streak (1-1)

Cake For Mom

Today, we come to Ella's home, where her and her family are running around like headless chickens. Here, we're coming to Ella for an inside view. Ella, what can you tell us about today?
    "Today was insane! I woke up to my stepdad waking me up. My mom had left for work early and I had woke up at my normal time, 12:00, 12:30 pm. Anyway, my stepdad, let's call him Garret, was wondering what to do for my mom for her birthday. 
    "See, our family has this giant inflatable birthday cake that we use to celebrate birthdays. And we decided that we were going to set it up in the back of Garret's truck and drive past my mom's window at her work and wave. Then we'd come home and set it up in the front yard. 
    "The only problem was, it was incredibly windy and we...

apartment 384

Ella

I gaze out the window of my apartment, 384, not expecting to see anything unusual. As I look out over my small neighborhood I see something, apartment 383. People inside it. I grab my phone. I casually pull up the photo app. I zoom in to see the new people. 
    There's a mother, a father and a son. I zoom in on the son's face. He looks like he's 16, 17 maybe. I feel a smile spread over my lips. I hop off my old couch and run to my bedroom. I untie my robe and pull on my cutoff booty shorts and look through my closet for my blue skin tight tee shirt. 
    I walk to the bathroom and pull my hair into a topknot and I lightly reapply my mascara and lipstick. Enough to see but not too much so I look like I'm trying too hard. 
    I walk down...

Zoom Out

The Box

I clench my teeth and squeeze my eyes shut. Ice cold blood rushes through my veins. The wind creeps through the smallest of crevices and howls when it can't get out. Chills swept through my bones.
     It's dark and musty in my attic bedroom. We moved here a month ago, and I didn't like it the least bit. Our house is on the far west end of our dead little town. 
   In the house in the far east of the town sits a box. Shaken and beat, the box sits on the neglected porch. No one cares or notices it. So the box sits and waits. 
    The sun rises over the sinking roof of our house.  I peer out my mildewed window and feel the rays of sunshine caress my cold cheeks. I attempt to tame my lion's mane of hair, sunlight reflecting off curly waves of chocolate. 
    I tug a t-shirt...

The Glass Room (#42dreams)

We cower in the corner, not that it does any good. We feel His eyes follow our every move. We're in the Glass Room. I swallow the scream that has been crawling up my throat. I hear Grace and Addison breathing sharply behind me.
    Grace has begun to cry, Addison is pressing her eyelids closed. I clench my jaw closed so the whimpers I feel myself making don't escape.
    We call the man Him or He because he doesn't seem to have a name. I feel His eyes burning on my skin. Tears bite at my eyelids and when the tears begin to sting I blink and they roll down my pale cheeks. 
    I turn around to comfort Grace, who's crying I don't hear anymore. My heart pounds in my ears when I see, or what I don't see. 
    Grace and Addison were gone. I fail to contain my surprise and feel...

#inQuarantine

In the past days... OK fine, weeks, I've gone stir crazy, and I have to restrain myself from snapping my sister's neck. I get my daily exercise by walking to a little free library in my neighborhood (Don't know if you know what that is. If you don't just google it) 
    I've painted and sketched and slept till noon, I've cried in a corner and thought I had covid many time, I've slept some more.
    I don't have much to do since we're not exactly allowed to visit friends. My parents are divorced so we'll go and visit our dad every now and then, but otherwise I feel isolated. 
    It's not a sad-depressed-isolated, more like an OH-MY-GOSH-I'M-BORED-OUT-OF-MY-MIND-isolated. On the bright side, I've got loads of time to listen to music and podcasts, or binge TV and movies. 
    I'm aware this might not be the most amazing life description here, but...

apartment 384

Ella

There's a mother, a father and a son. I zoom in on the son's face. He looks like he's 16, 17 maybe. I feel a smile spread over my lips. I hop off my old couch and run to my bedroom. I untie my robe and pull on my cutoff shorts and look through my closet for my blue skin tight tee shirt. 
    I walk to the bathroom and pull my hair into a topknot and I lightly reapply my mascara and lipstick. Enough to see but not too much so I look like I'm trying too...

Solidarity

Solitary

I recently saw a video of people in Italy singing out their window to beat the COVID-19 blues. It warmed my heart to see everyone coming together in such an awful time. I walk down the street in my neighborhood and expect no one to be outside. But instead I see kids playing, people biking down the streets or dancing in their driveway.
    It especially warms my heart when I hear of people donating to hospitals. Or maybe a kind soul going and doing a simple thing like going to Walmart for an older person, so they don't have to. 
    When we're all stuck in our homes with nothing to do, I see singers doing living room concerts. It gives us all a chance to see our idols without going outside and risking exposure. So many more people are on Tik Tok and other social media places. And while we all think of social media in...

Names, Names, Names

What's in a Name?

• A breakfast joint- Tasty Tid Bits
  • A new smartphone- Hyper Anonymous 6+
  • An eyeglasses store- Foggy Vision
  • A dog pound- Paws for Pups
  • A highway- GOA Way 
  • An island resort- Napa Nuia Resort 
  • A new constellation- The Rusty Kettle
  • A pet polar bear- Sir Dancelot
  • A nail polish color- Puddle Muddy Splash
  • A new butterfly species- Monday-Blue Spotted Lady

Nature Takes the Stand

Primrose

Daisy"s petals are floating in the water and her leaves are cracked. Lilac has rain running down her stem. Iris' pollen is spilling into the muddy puddles under the dirt. Camilla's stem is broken and she's blowing in the wind. Bluebell's bluebells are broken. Willow's branches are bending in the howling wind.
    I watch sorrowfully from the rain spattered window. Human walks over to where I've been placed in my white pot. She bends over and pours cold water into my pot. As refreshing as it is, my heart aches for my friends. 
    When Human walks away, I stretch my stem and attempt to catch Willow's gaze. She doesn't see me though. I turn my head and watch Human. She is pacing around the kitchen and constantly looking at her light box. I don't understand the point of that object. Human's always staring at it or holding it to her ear and talking. 
    The...

Best Quotes Ever (bored writing)

If you're arguing with a woman and she says "wow"... RUN

Don't assume that when I'm angry I'm on my period, because if you do, when you're sleeping I'll "assume" you're dead and bury you in my yard

I hate it when people come to your house and ask "do you have a bathroom?" 
No, we pee in the yard.

Vanessa: A lot of girls hated me this year, but their boyfriends loved me
Amy: WHAT?!

Sorry, I didn't mean to push ALL your buttons, I was just looking for mute

Amber is my girlfriend
-Nobody

Hannah Montana said nobody's perfect, but here I am

Waves (part one)

“For the first time in all my fabulous life, it feels like I’m melting, it feels like my insides are liquifying and my flesh is steaming off and there’ll be nothing left of me but a sad little puddle with my amazing yet mysterious face on it.” 
    “Gosh, Danica, do you have to be so dramatic?” I sigh as I reapply sunscreen on my shoulders. Danica Davis looks redder than a lobster in this mid-July heat. I snort out a laugh as she whimpers when the water touches her sunburnt legs. We’re here in Cabo on our annual BFF vacation. Last year it was Rhode Island, but it’s a LOT prettier here, I mean, it’s a tropical paradise for heaven’s sake!
    Danica’s face contorts from pain to relief as the chilled water cools her reddened appendages. After she’s gotten used to the icy water she motions for  me to join her.
    “Oh, c’mon Jolie! It’s...

London (part two)

I felt tears run down my cheeks as I ran to my father. Joy filled my heart when Father held me in his arms. "Oh, Lottie, it's been so long. I'm so so sorry," he cried softly. "it's OK, Papa. Really, but how'd you find me?" I said with a smile.     
    Father's eyes lit up. "It's a crazy story fille," He began, using his nickname for me. I sat, cradled in his loving arms as he told stories of his voyage to find me. I could feel my eyes closing again, but I was afraid Father was only a dream, so I refused sleep. But this became more and more difficult as Father stroked my ratty hair in his calloused hands.
    I gave in to sleep eventually. I felt myself slipping into slumber and I decided it wasn't a dream. As I slept, I DID dream. I dreamt of another set of hands holding my tired...

Op-Ed Competition 2020

Warm Feeling

When we open our eyes
What do we see
Perhaps a loved one
That fills us with glee
Maybe a bird
Or a growing tree
What do you imagine
When nights grow cold
Sparkling stars
Moons of gold
What do you fear
When life grows old
When you lose a friend
Or don't feel bold
In my mind
I hope with all my might
That we all feel safe
And our souls glow bright

Open Prompt

London (part one)

I let my heavy backpack slip off my shoulder and onto the bed in my boat room. My legs ached from walking and I could hardly keep my eyes open. It felt like just yesterday I'd escaped from my home. 
    Oh, where are my manners. My name is Lottie St. Dennis. I'm sixteen years old today. My mother was a poor housemaid to a European heiress, Colette Van Hale. Her deal with Mother was, "she can stay if she can clean." And I could! But... after Mother's death, Colette hasn't been too merciful on me.
    In the past four months I've had to clean the stairs, scrub the floors, iron EVERY piece of clothing she owned, steam her undergarments, make two meals and a banquet daily, wash dishes, watch her snobbish daughter, Cordelia, clean Cordelia's room every week, and bake cakes for Colette and her fancy group of friends. 
    But I managed...

Op-Ed Competition 2020

Warm Feeling

When we open our eyes
What do we see
Perhaps a loved one
That fills us with glee
Maybe a bird
Or a growing tree
What do you imagine
When nights grow cold
Sparkling stars
Moons of gold
What do you fear
When life grows old
When you lose a friend
Or don't feel bold
In my mind
I hope with all my might
That we all feel safe
And our souls glow bright