MadisonTGCL

Op-ed Competition 2016

How Does Social Media Affect Teenagers?

Teens, on average, spend about 9 hours a day using media ("Teens Spend 9 Hours a Day Using Media, Report Says").  They are constantly on social media seeing celebrities, models, and peers posing for a picture that look good on the internet.  The problem with this is that the viewer will feel like he/she has to look that way in order to post a picture at the beach on Facebook, or a picture by the pool on Instagram.  Teens are constantly being judged and criticized solely on their appearance.  “The latest hot graduation gift is breast enlargement surgery” ("At Issue: Teens and Cosmetic Surgery").  These teens and young adults have been so closed-minded on their definition of pretty, that they will go through a painful surgery to “fit in” or to be “normal”.   
    Media has driven teens to develop life threatening eating disorders such as anorexia, Bulimia nervosa, Binge-eating disorder, Purging disorder, and Night eating syndrome ("Media,...

Op-ed Competition 2016

How Does Social Media Affect Teenagers?

Teens, on average, spend about 9 hours a day using media (Wallace).  They are constantly on social media seeing celebrities, models, and peers posing for a picture that look good on the internet.  The problem with this is that the viewer will feel like he/she has to look that way in order to post a picture at the beach on Facebook, or a picture by the pool on Instagram.  Teens are constantly being judged and criticized solely on their appearance.  “The latest hot graduation gift is breast enlargement surgery” (Pritchard).  These teens and young adults have been so closed-minded on their definition of pretty, that they will go through a painful surgery to “fit in” or to be “normal”.  
        Media has driven teens to develop life threatening eating disorders such as anorexia, Bulimia nervosa, Binge-eating disorder, Purging disorder, and Night eating syndrome (NEDA).  The “media does indeed contribute [to the cause of body dissatisfaction] and that exposure to...

Op-ed Competition 2016

How Does Social Media Affect Teenagers?

Teens, on average, spend about 9 hours a day using media (Wallace).  They are constantly confronted with seeing celebrities, models, and peers posing for a picture that look good on the internet.  However, the viewer will feel like he/she has to look that way in order to post a picture at the beach on Facebook, or a picture by the pool on Instagram.  Teens are constantly judged and criticized solely on their appearance.  “The latest hot graduation gift is breast enlargement surgery” (Pritchard).  These teens and young adults have been so closed-minded on their definition of pretty, that they will go through a painful surgery to “fit in” or to be “normal”.  
        Media has driven teens to developing life threatening eating disorders such as anorexia, Bulimia nervosa, Binge-eating disorder, Purging disorder, and Night eating syndrome (NEDA).  The “media does indeed contribute [to the cause of body dissatisfaction] and that exposure to and pressure exerted by media increase[s] body...

Op-ed Competition 2016

How Does Social Media Affect Teenagers?

Media has driven teens to developing life threatening eating disorders such as anorexia, Bulimia nervosa, Binge-eating disorder, Purging disorder, and Night eating syndrome (NEDA).  The “media does indeed contribute [to the cause of body dissatisfaction] and that exposure to and pressure exerted by media increase[s] body dissatisfaction...