Picture?width=128&height=128

lyrathunder22

17-year-old with a love of books and a passion for writing. Has two cats named Lyra and Thunder.

Picture?width=64&height=64
Leader

lyrathunder22 (United States) earned a badge Leader

1 day ago

Picture?width=64&height=64

lyrathunder22 (United States) liked Sing For Me by jenhi (United States)

Picture?width=64&height=64
1

lyrathunder22 (United States) published:

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition

We never meant to love you.

Mother took one glance and slammed the door in your face. Snowflakes swirled. You shivered. You stayed.
    You crept into our hearts like a shadowy bandit, a mess of tangled black fur and unsteady paws. Drip, drip. The ice thawed, and so did we. Days turned to weeks, to months; you found yourself at home.

When you disappeared, it seemed our world froze. Sultry emerald summer faded to frigid gray.

We found you in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64

lyrathunder22 (United States) liked Farewell, Friend by Spark (United States)

Picture?width=64&height=64
Popular penman

lyrathunder22 (United States) earned a badge Popular Penman

Picture?width=64&height=64
Turtle

lyrathunder22 (United States) started following jenhi (United States)

Picture?width=64&height=64
3

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition

We never meant to love you.

You crept into our hearts like a thief, a shadowy bandit, a mess of tangled black fur and unsteady paws. Drip, drip. The ice thawed, and so did we. Days turned to weeks, to months. You made yourself at home.

When you disappeared, everything froze. Sultry emerald summer faded to frigid gray.

We found you in the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64

lyrathunder22 (United States) liked Biracial by cspencer19 (United States)

Picture?width=64&height=64

lyrathunder22 (United States) liked Hiroshima by jasonstarlight (United States)

Picture?width=64&height=64

lyrathunder22 (United States) liked Star-Crossed by jennychen (United States)

Flash Fiction Competition

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

We never meant to love you.

We found you in the garden, half-buried beneath leaves vibrant and mocking. Those once-piercing amber eyes faraway. Unseeing.

We were heartbroken.
    Inconsolable.
    Shattered.

Flash Fiction Competition

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

We never meant to love you.

We loved you.
    You shattered us.

Flash Fiction Competition

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

We never meant to love you.

We loved you.
    You shattered us.

Flash Fiction Competition

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

We never meant to love you.

When you disappeared, everything froze. Stifling emerald summer faded to frigid gray.

We loved you.
    You shattered us.

Your World in Three Senses

A Healing Hell

All he could see was that blasted white. Blank, white walls and milky, white floors and chalky, white ceilings; they boxed him in on all sides. The sheets tucked tightly beneath him were ivory. His gown, the exact shade of freezing winter snow. That infuriating, incessantly ticking clock? Colorless, right down to each shallowly engraved number, near invisible against the cream of its ghostly pale face. Whichever buffoon decided that was a good idea ought to be shot.

Just outside the thin walls, if he strained his ears, he could hear the faint noises of muted footsteps, soft murmurs, an occasional distant wail, all accompanied by the machines that whooshed and whirred as they labored through the infuriatingly long days: his own private symphony, just audible over the ceaseless cacophonous beat of that damned clock. Or was it night? He could never be sure. He wasn't afforded the luxury of a window; they'd told him that soon he'd have no use for...

Enumeration

The Things Left Behind

5 unsent emails.
4 people that loved him.
3 close friends.
2 cats.
1 note.
Countless memories.

0-9

Numbers in Nature

0 is a rippling pond, ringed by golden sand gone pale in the moonlight. Its reflection holds the moon and the stars, gleaming in a midnight-blue sky...yet its murky depths hold secrets, jealously kept, caught in mud and entwined in weeds.

1 is the tail of a fiery orange cat, raised high in silent greeting to the universe. Soft moonlight sets her aglow, and when her lithe figure moves she becomes a solitary flame, flickering in the darkness. Drops of dew sparkle in her fur as she pads toward the pond. She sits, curling her tail over her front paws, and gazes across the water lapping against the shore, her wide green eyes holding untold wisdom.

2 are the pair of wolves that hunt through the forest encircling the pond. Their quarry stumbles ahead on uncertain legs, large ears flattened and sweet brown eyes wide with terror. One misstep, and the larger of the two wolves brings down the young...

1 Photo, 20 Words

Out of Darkness

Twists of orange.
Swirls of blue.
Candle snuffed out.
Smoke curls in air.

Out of darkness, cold eyes blink open.

Flash Fiction Competition

Shattered

He was an artist, and the ice was his canvas. 
    Ari stepped back to admire his creation. His eyes traced the arch of its slender neck and the elegant sweep of flared wings on the verge of flight.
    Perfect.
    But his masterpiece was already melting away. Nobody would ever see it the way he did: new and pristine, glistening with cold, flawless beauty.
    Just as nobody ever saw him.
    So maybe it wasn't meant to be seen. His brow furrowed, his callused hands twisting into fists. With a hoarse cry, he swept the sculpture to the ground.
    It shattered.

Countdown

The Perfect Spot

A pretty pink nose poked out from behind a corner.
The rest of the cat soon followed, tiptoeing softly.
Low to the ground, she stalked her prey.
With a few small wiggles, she pounced!
She was greeted with a laugh.
Soft, loving hands stroked her.
She leaped right up.
Warm, inviting lap.
Slow purr.
Asleep.

Flash Fiction Competition

Shattered

Perfect.
    But it wouldn't lastnothing good ever did. His masterpiece was already melting away. Nobody would ever see it the way he did: new and pristine, glistening with cold, flawless beauty.     So maybe it wasn't meant to be seen. His brow furrowed, his slender hands twisting into fists. With a hoarse cry, he swept the sculpture to the ground.
    Gone. Forever.  

Illumination

The Dreamer

In the day, her hair hung limp and her gaze was dull as she slogged through life, her back hunched under the weight of her backpack and her parents' expectations.

But at night, tucked beside me under a midnight-blue sky, her soulful brown eyes sparkled with mischief as passionate dreams of freedom sprang from her lips to dance before us among the swirling stars.

Letter Writing Competition

An Open Letter To My Cat

Dear Lyra,

Today marks the day you purred your way into my life, eight years ago. It truly seems like only yesterday, you were so small you could just fit into the palms of my grubby eight-year-old hands. You never could sit still--from the moment I met you, you were inquisitive, energetic, and demanding, your pretty pink nose sniffing out every corner and your loud meows begging for my attention. I think I loved you from the moment I saw you--you reminded me of myself. And in my eyes, you were the most perfect kitten a girl could ever have.
    Naturally, we've had our fair share of adventures and misadventures. You led me to explore the world in the woods behind our old house when you went on escapades and I had to come looking for you. There, I discovered the deer trails that formed secret paths I could walk, feet squishing in the damp earth....

Six-Word Memoir

Ordinary

I was never meant to be.

0-9

Numbers in Nature

lyrathunder22's 29 Likes

Sing For Me by jenhi

Published 3 days ago

Farewell, Friend by Spark

Published 4 days ago

Biracial by cspencer19

Published 6 days ago

Hiroshima by jasonstarlight

Published 6 days ago

Star-Crossed by jennychen

Published 6 days ago

Milk and Kittens by lilytw

Published 8 days ago

He stopped, too. by Jasmine_K

Published 3 months ago

Elegy In A Hospital by Jennifer638

Published 8 days ago

Cat by Rosie

Published 5 months ago

A Girl's Bedroom by Grace Ow

Published 10 months ago

Lodger by tummyboxes

Published about 1 year ago

The 2% by gracecroken

Published about 1 year ago

Late Apologies by AJNair

Published about 1 year ago

Breaking Waves by Jolenify

Published about 1 year ago

Rise by Cassie Burke

Published about 1 year ago

Childhood Friend by Opal

Published about 1 year ago

Ainsley - Winter by LadyMidnight

Published about 1 year ago

Hopeless Case by ShannonAlynn

Published about 1 year ago

Hopeless Case by ShannonAlynn

Published about 1 year ago

An Open Letter To My Cat by lyrathunder22

Published about 1 year ago

Published about 1 year ago

Published about 1 year ago

Published about 1 year ago

The Trouble With This Year by Ash

Published over 2 years ago

A Troubled Tale by Ash

Published over 2 years ago

Sunlit Horizon by Sarah D

Published over 2 years ago

Sunlit Horizon by Sarah D

Published over 2 years ago

Sunlit Horizon by Sarah D

Published over 2 years ago

Sunlit Horizon by Sarah D

Published over 2 years ago

12 Likes from Others

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

Liked by 1 person

A Healing Hell

Liked by 1 person

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

Liked by 3 people

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

Liked by 6 people

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

Liked by 1 person

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

Liked by 1 person

Melt, Freeze, Shatter

Liked by 1 person

A Healing Hell

Liked by 1 person

Shattered

Liked by 1 person

Numbers in Nature

Liked by 1 person

An Open Letter To My Cat

Liked by 1 person

The Dreamer

Liked by 3 people

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned about 1 year ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 1 day ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 1 year ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned about 1 year ago

Popular penman

Very nicely done - you've got over ten favorites.

Earned 3 days ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Competitor inactive

It's as easy as entering a competition to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Good neighbor inactive

Be a good neighbor - add a profile image and write a short biography.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Reviewer inactive

Just write and submit a review to become a reviewer. Get to it!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.