sharonlin

I'm a 17-year-old writer, developer, and activist. I write creative nonfiction, poetry, and prose, although I've also dabbled in other writing forms (http://sharonlin.me/writing). I live in NYC/NJ and enjoy animation, design, and photography.

Chaser of dreams and lover of chai.
I live in the big city and climb mountains on the weekends.
Feel free to find me online @sharontlin.

Speech Writing Competition 2016

Compassion

Inside every one of you is a secret power.

You may not know what it is. You may not even know that it exists. But I assure you, that inside each of you is a unique ability, waiting to be found.

When we came together today, and I looked through the crowd at all of your eager faces, many of them shadowed with exhaustion from a long night's flight, I didn't see a multitude of individuals. Rather, I saw a group that knew why they were here, who stood together in solidarity because they believed in the one thing that they knew could change the world.

Compassion.

When we arrived here, our minds open and full of hope, our minds eager to feast on the words of each other, our spirits high with resolve to come together and fix the world's problems, we didn't have a clue what we would be running into. We didn't know each other, or even...

Book Review Writing Competition 2016

Einstein's Dreams

“Suppose time is a circle, bending back on itself. The world repeats itself, precisely, endlessly.”

A woman ambling along Marktgasse, a man who is unable to age, a boy who sees into the future and then into the past - the fantastic dreams recollected by renowned physicist and theorist Albert Einstein inspire even the least imaginative minds, and yet hold an inexplicable truth. While even the scientifically illiterate may recognize Einstein for his more famous work on the theory of special relativity, his groundbreaking papers written in the early 1900s are often forgotten. Nonetheless, as Alan Lightman shows through his critically-acclaimed masterpiece, there is often much to be revered in the unforeseen.

Einstein's Dreams transports readers to 20th century Bern, the home of a young Einstein during his early years as a patent examiner. In a series of lyrical accounts, Lightman imagines the fictional worlds of Einstein's mind, playing around with the ideas of relativity as casually as a poet with words. Nonetheless,...

Final Note

Einstein's Dreams - After the Light

18 April 1955

A young man opens up the door and breathes in the fresh air. He steps outside into the streets of Gerberngasse and slowly makes his way down the road.

Nearby, a young mother water her petunias on her front porch. She smells the sea breeze and wonders whether summer will arrive earlier than she expected.

Two friends settle down in steel wire seats by a cafe. One man stares down at the Aare River, the other to his menu. Neither speak.

"It's a lovely day out. It's almost like time has passed too quickly," the first man mutters a few seconds later.

The second man coughs and wipes his mouth. His meal has already been ordered and finished. 

The first man see the second man smile at him and blinks. There is no one in the seat. A second later, a couple he does not recognize sits down in the table next to him. After that, their child...

Final Note

Einstein's Dreams - After the Light

18 April 1955

A young man opens up the door and breathes in the fresh air. He steps outside into the streets of Gerberngasse, and slowly makes his way down the road.

Nearby, a young mother water her petunias on her front porch. She smells the sea breeze, and wonders whether summer will arrive earlier than she expected.

One Sentence Story

Heartless

He was heartless, but the operation went well; she left him a rose by his grave. 

Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Darkness Returns

The door opened, and he stepped into the room.

I stood still, watching his every stride, my gaze never leaving his.

"Why did you leave," I whispered. 

He took a step towards me, our faces mere inches apart.

"I had no other choice," he replied.

So many years, yet the thought of him never left my mind. I turned my head away to forget the pain - waking up after our night of love to find him gone.

"But there's still time," he answered, turning my head towards his.

The smell of him embraced me as our lips met.