Northern lights

Sarah D

"He was a poet; and they are never exactly grown up." - J.M. Barrie

Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated; I'm always open to improvement.
Thank you for taking the time to read my pieces and I hope you enjoy them.

Northern lights
1
1

Sarah D (Australia) published:

The Language of Existing

PROMPT: Universal Knowledge

It's the constant cycle of life and death, the inability to keep time frozen, being still while being a moving part, it's inescapable; it's unevoidable, because whatever we do, we must exist.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Northern lights
2
1

Sarah D (Australia) published:

Paper Moon

In the clear sky you hang above the world. Your iridescent beauty pools on hills and dries up in valleys. You appear firm and heavy, but you are really impermanent. Each month, each blast of the universal winds blows you away, away, away. Even when I see you, the glow isn’t yours. The light shines, but through the few layers of your skin that you possess. It shows that you are empty and unsubstantial. It shows that you are sparse...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Northern lights
13697988 1018648584855068 361851896530768299 o

Sarah D (Australia) started following DomUnique (United Kingdom)

Northern lights

Sarah D (Australia) liked The Devil May Cry... by DomUnique (United Kingdom)

Northern lights

Sarah D (Australia) published:

The Formation of the Universe

PROMPT: 0-9

0 -    Before I was born. Before I was destined to find them. Before I became lost without them.
1 -    Me. The moon. Separated from a world full of people who didn't understand. Who were living a life that I found boring.
2 -    Then came the volcano. Crazy, noisy, and always moving. Moving to the beat of an eternally ending world. Explosive.
3 -    Lavender. Sweet, quiet, generous. Secretly as wild as the rest...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Northern lights
1

Sarah D (Australia) published:

The Bond of Friendship

PROMPT: All Talk

Oh my goodness. Oh God. Oh my bloody-

Piper! Would you just calm down!

You're not serious, are you?

Yeah. We're fine. Just...act chilled.

Ok. Now I know you're joking.

I'm not! Isn't this what friends are for? We're supposed to call you when we have a dead body, right?

Oh God! He's not dead is he? Oh God. Oh goodness. Please may he not be dead!

He's not dead - just unconscious. You worry too much.

Really, Jo? Because...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Northern lights

Sarah D (Australia) reviewed:

Siren

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Maybe if there was a bit more descriptive language used to tell the story, some of the specific details could be inferred.

Northern lights

Sarah D (Australia) reviewed:

0025

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Northern lights

Sarah D (Australia) reviewed:

Four Pictures

PROMPT: Quartet

I really enjoyed this small descriptor and I hope I read more about those characters in the future!

Northern lights
6

Sarah D (Australia) published:

Kertie

PROMPT: Joy to the World

Kertie: A smile between two friends which acknowledges their mutual respect for each other's strangeness.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Universal Knowledge

The Language of Existing

Paper Moon

In the clear sky you hang above the world. Your iridescent beauty pools on hills and dries up in valleys. You appear firm and heavy, but you are really impermanent. Each month, each blast of the universal winds blows you away, away, away. Even when I see you, the glow isn’t yours. The light shines, but through the few layers of your skin that you possess. It shows that you are empty and unsubstantial. It shows that you are sparse and fragile. It shows that you are fake, yet it makes you the beacon of my world. When you are all alone in your darkness, I wonder if you’re really there. Do you disappear when I can’t see you? Is it your choice to leave?
Paper moon are you there? Could you stay for one night more? I am lost in lands that I can’t see by myself – lands that I can only see with you. Paper moon are...

0-9

The Formation of the Universe

3 -    Lavender. Sweet, quiet, generous. Secretly as wild as the rest of us. Yet somehow, wiser than we could ever understand.
4 -    The North star. The brilliant one. She knows it too. Although it never eclipses her kindness when it matters.
5 -    Rapids. One huge, hilarious, disaster just waiting to happen. Regal in her talents, but clumsy in her faults.
6 -    Rocky cliffs. Definitely mad, but decisively determined. Effortlessly smart, but never enough. Strong. Always strong.
7 -    An autumn forest. Finding the best...

All Talk

The Bond of Friendship

Oh my goodness. Oh God. Oh my bloody-

Piper! Would you just calm down!

You're not serious, are you?

Yeah. We're fine. Just...act chilled.

Ok. Now I know you're joking.

Really, Jo? Because personally, I'm almost sure that it's not normal to be so calm in this situation!

Look. We're only two minutes away from hospital. We just need to get there, dump him, and take off.

This is a nightmare. You're a nightmare. What is your problem! You can't just go hitting people over the head! Especially teachers!

I panicked! He recognised your writing on my maths test! Then he turned around to compare our papers and I-

Let me guess....

Joy to the World

Kertie

All in a Name

What's In A Name?

I am Sarah.

My first thought was to start with, "Hello, I'm not overly happy with my name," but that's almost a given.
If you're going to respond to this prompt, then you either have a unique/exotic name, a name you're fairly happy with, a cool nick name, or a boring name that you you have pent up frustration about.
I would be writing this for the latter reason.

It's just kind of boring, you know?

Sarah.
I think it's the two syllables that get to me.
Sar. Ah.
It doesn't really have a nickname.

Have you ever stood in front of a mirror, said, "Hello, I'm (insert name)," and straight afterwards thought,Is that it?

It's underwhelming.
In my opinion, I have an underwhelming name.

Conjoined with my equally boring and two syllable last name, it's really just a whole lifetime of disappointment.

You need a name like Huckleberry!
Maybe not Huckleberry...no offense to the many wonderful Huckleberry's out...

Imagine This

1996

Imagine this: an unfamiliar car in her driveway welcomes her home. She knows it must be the young drover that her parents have been inviting over. He is going out the door when she goes in, and after a near collision and two apologies, they start talking for a while. It's just one moment, but he is smiling. They both are. She goes back overseas, but this time he writes to her, and each letter she reads makes her smile. She finally comes home after nearly a year, and when she does, she sees that he has been waiting for her. For three months they share meals, and laughs, and dates, and moments, because he has been waiting to know her. Then one day he takes her on a picnic; into the wilderness that they both call home. Through the trees there is a table where they have dinner. Then he kneels, pulls out a rose, and asks if she'll...

Friendship Narrative Competition 2016

The Invincibles

The days are boring without you. People are just pleasant. Nobody is furious, or devious, or passionate, or restless. They’re all just placidly pleasant. They move without purpose. Days blend into weeks and into months, and all they do is age. They just exist. We did more than exist. You and I, lived.

I did try talking to them; the dull ones. The ones who weren’t you. I went to one of those parties that you always wanted me to go to. With the loud music and thrashing lights. I put that tight black skirt on – the one you lent me – and slipped into some gold sandals. I even did my hair. It had been knotted for at least a month; the dark tresses clumping around my pale face. So I decided it was probably due for a clean. I washed it, brushed it, and lay under the fan in my room as it dried. I traced...

Collective Voice

Us and Them

We watched them descend from the sky like a storm. Their black expanse rumbled like thunder and the land cracked like lightening when they landed. We were scared. We were confused. We had never known an entity such as them before. We fought them. We fought them with guns and fists and fiery weapons from hell. The massacre, our massacre, left us fragmented and weak. The distinction between them and us became messier. What did it take to be human? A hand, an eye, a mind. Suddenly, we weren't human anymore. And they weren't aliens. We were all monsters. We became the monsters that we thought they were.

Collective Voice

Us and Them

We watched them descend from the sky like a storm. Their black expanse rumbled like thunder and the land cracked like lightening when they landed. We were scared. We were confused. We had never known an entity such as them before. We fought them. We fought them with guns and fists and firey weapons from hell. The massacre, our massacre, left us fragmented and weak. The distinction between them and us became messier. What did it take to be human? A hand, an eye, a mind. Suddenly, we weren't human anymore. And they weren't aliens. We were all monsters. We became the monsters that we thought they were.

That Sort of Person

That Sort of Person

She's that girl whose expressions always reveal the number of coffees she's had that morning.

That Sort of Person

That Sort of Person

She's that girl who's expressions always reveal the number of coffees she's had that morning.

Your World in Three Senses

Perceiving Ely

Her blonde hair curled around the taut plastic of the pool toy.
"I could float forever," she murmured to me, her voice soft like the ripples in the water.
I felt her delicate pinky link around my finger.
A little pull and we drifted closer together; legs brushing and knees knocking.
We stared high up above us at the twisted branches of the intertwining trees; the pale blue background framing them. They swayed and bent in the warm summer breeze, as if dancing to their own song.
The gentle rustle of the leaves and the warmth of the sun made my eyelids start to get heavy.
"Me too." I whispered, before letting my eyes fall shut.

Why I Write

Finding the Words

I write because it reminds me that the world is bigger than myself. I write because it humbles me to tell someone else’s story. I write because I discover things I never knew I could find. I write because thinking in poem stanzas has become a habit. I write because I don’t know how to stop. I write because I don’t want to stop. I write to find an outlet. I write to clear some space in my brimming, restless mind. I write to feel something. I write to understand the loud emotions I feel. I write to understand how the world can be so messy and beautiful. I write to understand how I can still be completely in love with it.

Your World in Three Senses

Perceiving Ely

Her blonde hair curled around the taut plasic of the pool toy.

"I could float forever." She murmured to me, her voice soft like the ripples in the water.

We stared high up above us at the twisted branches of the intertwining trees; the pale blue background framing them. They swayed and bent in the warm summer breeze; as if dancing to their own song.

The Limerick

The Pie Limerick

I once ate a very big pie,

It was fatty I'm not gonna lie.

My mum told me 'Stop!

Or I fear you might drop!'

I said "Take it, I dare you to try!"

The Limerick

The Pie Limerick

I once ate a very big pie,

It was fatty I'm not gonna lie.

My mum told me 'Stop!

Or I fear you might drop!'

I said "Take it, I'd like you to try!"

Inventory

Inventory

Name: Candice McKenny

Age: 23

City: Paris

Country: France

Inventory of bag:

• 1 packet of cheeseballs
  • 1 small sketch pad
  • 15 coloured pencils
  • 2 Chupa Chups
  • 1 English-French Dictionary
  • 15 Euros
  • 1 lip balm
  • 1 pack of cards
  • 7 brochures/information booklets
  • 1 polaroid camera

Subtotals

Subtotals

Number of pencils owned: 205. Number of highlighters owned: 19. Number of pens owned: 812. Number of awesome dirtbike stunts performed: 5. Number of dirtbike crashes: 43. Number of broken bones: 0. Number of seriously injured, sprained, or brused bones: 1,509. Number of passion fruits eaten: one. Number of converses owned: 3. Number of whole mudcakes eaten, without throwing up: 3; with throwing up: 12. Number of books read: 5,423. Number of books written, fully: 0; partially: 8. Number of plays read, Shakespeare: 35; number of non-Shakespeare plays read: 15. Number of brothers: 2. Number of not annoying brothers: 0. Number of boxes of milo cereal eaten, consecutively: 2; throughout life: 42. Number of pets owned: 14. Number of pets still alive: 0. Number of poems written: 53. Number of good poems written: 1.

Your World in Three Senses

Perceiving Ely

We stared high up above us at the twisted branches of the trees intertwining with each other; the pale blue background framing them. They rustled and bent in the warm, summer breeze, as if dancing to their own song.

Truths and Untruths

Ten Things I Wish Weren't True

1. My Dad doesn't love my Mum anymore.
  2. My brother doesn't care about my family anymore.
  3. Billy Joel doesn't make music anymore.
  4. My dog died.
  5. My Grandpa died.
  6. John Lennon died.
  7. The girls at school hate me.
  8. The people I work with hate me.
  9. The chicken parmigiana I had for lunch hates me.
  10. Sometimes the world just doesn't make sense.

Where Were You?

Where Were You?

Where were you?

The sparks got caught on the wind and they drifted through our town.
The swords came for the children and they stole them while we slept.
The blood covered the roads like rain and it smothered the sound of our screams.
In the morning we awoke to darkness or we didn't wake at all.

Where were you?

Not a trace of your life or death the next day.
We searched until we realised the truth.
You were hiding, cowering, roting in the dirt.
But alive. Somewhere. Alive.

Where were you?

Which box in your mind did you hind in.
What thoughts did you let loose in the world.
Why were you scared, lost and weak before they came.
Why did you feel alone when you knew you had me.

Where were you?

When I cried myself to sleep at night.

Where were you?

When I sobbed until I shook.

Where were you?

When I held the cold hands of my children.

Where were you?

When I...

New Year Competition 2015

Sunlit Horizon

I always loved being outside in the morning. The property was so different without the blazing sun, the active animal population and the noisy sound of bush work. In the morning it was still, silent, waiting. I felt like it was waiting for me, so I never made it wait long.

I would wake up at 3:30 exactly and sneak out of bed so I wouldn't wake mum, dad and my brother Sean, even though they all knew where I went in the mornings. First I'd feed Dakota, saddle her up and then head out the back gate. When I'd open the large piece of corrugated iron my heart would pick up pace. Suddenly my mind would go still and all I could do was engulf the world in front of me with as many senses as I could manage. Revel in the beautiful land I called home.

For a while I'd forget about all my chores and jobs on the farm, forget about the trouble on the property,...

Sarah D's 17 Likes

The Devil May Cry... by DomUnique

Published over 1 year ago

The Dreamer by lyrathunder22

Published almost 2 years ago

Lady Madeline by Mgracel

Published almost 2 years ago

Where Confidence Is Found by keely1306

Published about 2 years ago

Mother Earth by BluMoon

Published about 2 years ago

The Worst Thing Of All by Roisin Dauth

Published about 2 years ago

16 by Roisin Dauth

Published about 2 years ago

The soldiers who danced by Roisin Dauth

Published about 2 years ago

The Story of a Girl and a Balcony by Roisin Dauth

Published about 2 years ago

Monday Blues Part 2 by Caitlyn Mulcahy

Published about 2 years ago

Beauty and the Beauty by Anna Lang

Published over 2 years ago

Luctamo - painful loving by Jeremy Houle

Published almost 3 years ago

Before by Grace Hammond

Published about 3 years ago

Starlight by Grace Hammond

Published about 3 years ago

A Troubled Tale by Ash

Published about 3 years ago

The Trouble With This Year by Ash

Published about 3 years ago

18 Likes from Others

Finding the Words

Liked by 2 people

Kertie

Liked by 6 people

Us and Them

Liked by 5 people

The Language of Existing

Liked by 1 person

Paper Moon

Liked by 2 people

The Bond of Friendship

Liked by 1 person

Ten Things I Wish Weren't True

Liked by 4 people

Sunlit Horizon

Liked by 1 person

What's In A Name?

Liked by 1 person

The Pie Limerick

Liked by 5 people

The Invincibles

Liked by 3 people

The Invincibles

Liked by 2 people

Us and Them

Liked by 1 person

That Sort of Person

Liked by 3 people

That Sort of Person

Liked by 2 people

Perceiving Ely

Liked by 2 people

Subtotals

Liked by 2 people

Where Were You?

Liked by 2 people

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned almost 3 years ago

Pro reviewer

You've now submitted over five reviews!

Earned about 2 years ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned almost 3 years ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned over 3 years ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned over 3 years ago

Admirer

You've followed over twenty other writers!

Earned almost 3 years ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned over 3 years ago

Super star

You've got SO many followers - more than thirty!

Earned about 2 years ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 3 years ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned over 2 years ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned about 3 years ago

Popular penman

Very nicely done - you've got over ten favorites.

Earned over 2 years ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned almost 3 years ago

Top critic

Woohoo. You've submitted over fifteen reviews.

Earned almost 2 years ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned over 3 years ago

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.