Maryam

Maryam
Book lover
Aspiring author
Poet
Animals!!!<3
Did I mention books?

Chapter 2- Part 2

Backpack strapped against one shoulder, headphones in, trying to both look cool and not trip as I walk down the halls. I reach my locker, where I struggle for about 5 minutes before I get the damn thing open, and then realize there was nothing I needed from it. That’s just how my brain works. 
    The hallways are empty, and the classes all quiet. Only like 5 other people are crazy enough to be here this early. I like to beat the rush by arriving early, lest I be swept in the herd. Walking through the halls, an eairy sense fills me, a sense I’m being watched. Stopping, I'm looking around until I heard someone clear their throat from behind. “Good morning Ms. O’Henry”, my bio teacher greets. Poop juice, I thought, I can never remember his name. “Morning sir,” I smile back with. 
    “Are you looking for something to miss?”. 
    “Yes”, I lie smoothly, “I thought I...

Please Help!

I need a opinion about which poem is better. It is EXTREMELY important! If you could please take the time to read and leave a comment about which one you prefer, I would appreciate it sooo much!
In return, I am willing to send out peer reviews fr anyone who commenst on any of their pieces!

STAR DUST
If I take the chance
And hold your hand
Will you take to 
A whole new land
Where love is in our eyes
And sunshine on our hair
Where our laughter flies
And tears are rare
The shy can be pink
Or red white and blue
And the sun winks 
As the clouds wave to you
Where stars can be found 
In our very being
And we are never bound
To simply believing
For we have the power 
To do as we like
So listen here
And listen right
You are made of stardust
Waiting to explode
Fearing the greatness
That your...

Peer Reviews!

Hello everyone!
Because of all this quarantine stuff and all the free time I have gained, I have time to spare to help fellow writers. 
If you would like to have your piece reviewed, please leave a comment with the name of the piece that you want reviewed, leaving a link to it would be very helpful, but not mandatory.
Because school is still sending me work to do, I wont be able to do like, 100 every day. My goal will be to have however much I can done whenever I gain time. Weekends will probably be when I will sit down and just do this. 

To be qualified for a review, please follow me and just leave a comment one on of my pieces just so I can also get an idea on my work while I review other people's work! Win-win situation, right?

So again, leave a comment of the piece you want reviewed, and I...

Peer Reviews

Hello everyone! Because of all this quarantine stuff and all the free time I have gained, I have time to spare to help fellow writers. 

So again, leave a comment of the piece you want reviewed, and I will do my best to help you out. 

Thank you all again, and stay safe!

Since When

Since when did school become more important, then say, my mental health?
Since when did work take over, say, the time that you spend?
Since when did homework determine when I was or wasn't free?
Since when did expectations decide who I was meant to be?
Since when did the worth of my life become dependent on my grade?
Since when did choices made for me become my mistake?
Since when did I ever tell you I would cause world peace?
Dude, don't expect too much of me, just leave me be
Since when did life become a competition? Every person for themself?
Since when did we start hating the people who only want to help?
Since when did my mistakes stay with me my whole life?
Forgive and forget- I thought that was the strive
Since when did the world I live in refuse to acknowledge
Problems were calling, yet we were declining
Since when did hate start spreading...

Chapter 2- Part 1

I wake up panting, at a loss for breath. Another dream, though this time it felt different. More urgent. I lie on my bed, just staring at the ceiling. It felt so real, was my only thought as I took my hand to the spot I had been stabbed. I inspect my hands, but they show no sign of the troubles from the cave. As I go over the rest of my body, it shows no signs of ever having been in that situation. I’ll just lie for a while more, I thought as my eyes slowly dropped shut.
“Livvie”, I hear shortly after. “Livvie dear, wake up, almost time for school,'' Gran yells from the stairs. I can hear her feet shuffling back to the kitchen, where the noise of kitchen reaches my ears. I get up, my bed creaking in protest. Wiping the sleep from my eyes, I look back on my bed in longing. My pillows...

​Because Of You

Because of you
I learned
How it felt
To truly be ignored
I felt the stab 
To the gut
When I realized
You no longer wanted more

Because of you
I learned
what pure jealousy
Feels like
You would talk
To every single person
Except for the one
Who yearned 
For your voice

Because of you
I learned
What rejection feels like
In my eyes,
I saw only you
But I guess 
You could see
A whole lot clearer
Then me

Because of you
I learned
Just what heartbreak is
And now that I know
I never want to experience in again

I Always Thought

I always thought
I wasn't bad to look at
And then I saw
The girls you’d hang with
And I realized
I didn't stand a chance
I always thought
You enjoyed my company
But then I realized
The way you laughed with them
Was not the same as with me
I always thought
That you were different from the rest
And you were
In some ways,
But I realized
You were the same
And I,
Just in your way

I Always Thought

I always thought
I wasn't bad to look at
And then I saw
The girls you’d hang with
And I realized
I didn't stand a chance
I always thought
You enjoyed my company
But then i realized
The way you laughed with them
Was not the same as with me
I always thought
That you were different from the rest
And you were
In some ways,
But I realized
You were the same
And I,
Just in your way

Chapter 1

I think I’m dead. My whole body aches, and I feel like I’ve been ripped apart. I open my eyes and wiggle my toes. Groaning, I lift my head and look around. I'm not at home, I realize with a jolt. Slowly and carefully, I get into a sitting position and look at my surroundings. I’m nowhere I recognize, but I feel like I know this place. I get up and stretch for a bit and my surroundings change. Now I am positioned in front of a huge metal gate. Despite the rust and the obvious age to it, the gate looks like magic itself. Beautifully crafted symbols decor the perimeter. It was once black, but the paint is now scraping off, leaving it both black and grey. Despite the flaws in it, I stare at it in awe. Then, past through the holes in the gate, my eyes fall on the structure behind it. Way, far beyond the gate,...

Sirens

I could still hear them, the sirens. The loud sound travelling throughout the neighbourhood as I sat on the stretcher, waiting. What was I waiting for? Death. I wanted death to come and take me away from this misery. I heard the noises of people talking and checking out the other girls for injuries. Out of the 7 taken, us 4 were found. I do not know for sure what they went through, but I can guess it was somewhat like my experience. I felt a tear trace its way down my cheek as I thought about it. I shook my head, trying to rid myself of these memories. I heard shouting, and turned my head to the side to see my family asking where I was. I couldn't tell them I was there, in front of the ambulance. My voice just wouldn't work. But, he saw me. The one I called dad. I couldn't look at him. The next...

YOU in threes

Me by Me

Three quirks or idiosyncrasies.
Man, I don't even know what idiosyncrasies even means

Three communities to which you belong (these can be unusual).
 Islamic.
Canadian
Pakistani
(These 3 cause I can't think of any other)

Three adjectives your peers would use to describe you.
Quiet
Helpful
Funny-ish

Three adjectives your family would use.
Loud
Caring?
Forgetful

Three adjectives you would use.
Clumsy
Distracted
Thoughtful

Three things about you that very few people know.
I am an extremely emotional person.
I don't believe in dinosaurs (I don't know why, it's just me)
I don't know what to do with my life.

Three beliefs you hold.
There is a purpose to life.
Hard work is nothing without God's help.
If you don't read, you can't be human. Simple as that.

Three questions you have.
Are aliens real?
Why do we go to school? Thats half our lives gone.
Why cant I live the lives of the characters I read?
...

For Once

For once,
I want to be loved for who I am, not for who I could be
I want to be loved with all my faults, not with them ignored

I want to be accepted in this world
I want to meet everyone's standards
I want to inspire people, boys and girls
And be their role modle

I want big things from this life
But don't want to work for them
I just don't have the strive
To put the work in

Bu how to succeed
When their expectations don't follow with my plans
How do I tally up the deeds
When their not my fans

I want to be seen as me
Because that's all I could ever be

Novel Writing Competition 2019

Another Chance

This was it then.
The end of one life, only to be leading me to the beginning of another. I took a deep breath in, and with a heavy heart, I took the first step onto the plane. It was hard, that tiny step, but as I continued to walk, it became easier. I could feel my tension and anxiety passing through my body in waves until it was almost bearable. I took up a peaceful march as I searched for my seat, passing rows and rows of inclined green seats until I finally found seat number 25. I took my seat, plugged in my headphones, and rested my head against the plush headrest of the chair. I was going on a 5-month travel course, a journey to “experience new sights and sounds and to better connect with the world,'' as the flyer had said. But honestly? I was going to get away from home. From all the looks and...

Breathe

Some people ask,
“Why do you read”
To which I reply,
“Why do you breathe”
And again they say,
“For it helps us live”
To which I said
“As reading does for me”   
And then they ask
“Aren't you being dramatic”
And I rely back,
“no, definitely not
For I do not lie
If books were not here
I'd have lost my ability to fly   
For books are passages
To any realm you choose
Stories from lives
We only wish that we knew
Each word like a bird          
Soaring through every page
Each chapter as a herd       
Of ideas being sprouted
Every ending a loss         
For it tells
The book is done
Then I lean back
And bring those words to life
Every character, every setting
Everything, bad or nice
I sit back in the quite
Hear the hush hush      
Of my mind
Silencing itself
And hear the brand new,
But familiar thought,
Telling me
I gotta find a book...

Star Dust

If I take the chance
And hold your hand
Will you take to 
A whole new land

Where love is in our eyes
And sunshine on our hair
Where our laughter flies
And tears are rare

The shy can be pink
Or red white and blue
And the sun winks 
As the clouds wave to you

Where stars can be found 
In our very being
And we are never bound
To simply believing

For we have the power 
To do as we like
So listen here
And listen right

You are made of stardust
Waiting to explode
Fearing the greatness
That your to afraid to show 

But when life brings you down
Take hold of the hand
It will bring you back
To this majestic land

The Real Way Of Living

When people talk about something they are passionate about, they change. Their whole face lights up, their eyes dance, and their voice seems to be singing. It looks almost as if they woke up from a trance- as if they were dead and only just realized they were still living. And when they get lost in the talking, they have never seemed as beautiful as they did in that moment. Their talking so fast, like there afraid they'll forget it all if they don't say it fast enough. But the greatest thing about this moment is that they choose to share this part of themselves with you. Like it was a secret that you are now privy to. For this is a part of them that is vulnerable. If you hurt someone who is in this state, you have refused them from entering that state again. For that part of humans is rare.
 To get there, you need a couple...

Six-Word Story

6 Word Story

The world rests on my shouldars. 

Sage Words

Write

Writers have this ability to make what they write seem real. To make it seem like its the only truth we've even known. Writers have this talent that sets them apart from our world, because they choose to see what we cannot. Toni Morrison said, “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” Writers have a responsibility upon themselves, as Toni said. With the power to see beyond, they need to inspire others to see past our normal views as well. You have something in mind? Something that bothers you? Something that people should care about? Well, if you don't write about, then no one will. Most people are stuck where they are because they think that someone else will do the thing they are afraid to do. But the truth is, we're all afraid. None of us have the strength to actually say what we want to...

One-Liner

Wake Up

We wake up, only to be asleep the whole day. 

One-Liner

Wake Up

We wake up, only to be asleep the whole day

Faith

“Nana!”, the young girl cries as she runs towards her grandmother, who was knitting aimlessly as she rocked back and forth on her chair. Her grandmother looked up, and with her eyes, searches for her granddaughter's face. Upon seeing her, the grandmother's face lights up as bright as the sun as she opens her arms to allow for a hug. They talk without a purpose for a while, talking about neither this or that, but rather a bit of everything. Then, as if a storm had crept up on them, the girls face darkened as trouble filled her delicate features. “What is bothering you, my child?”, she was asked. The girl sat quietly for a few moments, and then looked up, bright eyes shining, as she asked, “Nan, whatever happens to us if lose our faith?” Nana, in her impressive wisdom, stroked the girls hair for a few moments as she continued to rock the chair. “Well, I ought to...