Ibex

as in Presbyterian Church in America
(denomination)
Female
Writer
Novelist
Poet!
Reader
Ambivert or something
Self-proclaimed band nerd
Planet Earth nerd
etc, etc
Joined September 10, 2019

Sometimes I tell stories. Most of the time I rattle my soul until I break and my heart spills out onto the page.

"I cannot jump the distance. You'll have to toss me!"--Gimli, LOTR

I am a complete and utter nerd. I got the Ring of Power for my birthday.

Peer Reviews

When Branta Canadensis Go South

So cool you're submitting to Scholastic! I myself have submitted writing for their competition in the past (I've been mildly successful in my endeavors), and I have just a few tips: First, I'd recommend taking a look at winning poetry from last year (you can find it on Scholastic's online gallery) just from an intellectual point of view. Reading past work, especially poetry, can sometimes act as further inspiration for your own. Second, try reading your work out loud, like you're going to perform it, and then edit where it sounds weird. I've found that this really helps with the flow of a piece. And, especially in poetry, flow is very important. Finally, work this piece until the imagery pours itself into the readers' hands. Make them salivate. Make them want more. Best of luck, Ibex

3 months

the world in a pie

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2020

I love how you kept with the theme of the competition so well. Your piece, although about the pie, is truly about your relationship with the past and your relationship with the rest of the world. I'm excited to see where this takes you!

8 months

Poetry Is

PROMPT: Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

The entire poem flows really well, and you use some really pretty language within the poem. Good job with the rhyme scheme too. It doesn't seem forced.

9 months

paint the sky vermilion

I really enjoyed reading this poem due to its beautiful language, and it made me so angry at the people involved in these riots. It's very good you included the link to the Delhi riots at the bottom, since I wouldn't have fully understood what was going on if you hadn't.

9 months

The King's Cause

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2019

about 1 year

The River of Life

PROMPT: Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

over 1 year