Khera Hunter

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

My brother

My Father was always deployed and wasn't around much; he missed birthdays, holidays and a majority of my brother's life. My brother is two years older than me and we were inseparable when we were younger at least. He was always the cool older brother and I was the stereotypical pesky sister. Anywhere he went I would follow along like a lost puppy without a home. I remember in third grade someone was making fun of my weight on the bus.It felt like everything was going in slow motion when I heard the bully turn around to face me on the bus. "You're really ugly and fat too" The words replayed in my head like a broken record. He turned around laughing with a friend leaving me with a gift of insecurity. I remember walking blurry eyed from the tears hitting the pavement as I walked. I walked in the door to my house, my mom instantly saw my red...

My brother

My Father was always deployed and wasn't around much he missed birthdays, holidays and a majority of my brother's life. My brother is two years older than me and we were inseparable when we were younger at least. He was always the cool older brother and I was the stereotypical pesky sister. Anywhere he went I would follow along like a lost puppy without a home. I remember in third grade someone was making fun of my weight on the bus.It felt like everything was going in slow motion when I heard the bully turn around to face me on the bus. "You're really ugly and fat too" The words replayed in my head like a broken record. He turned around laughing with a friend leaving me with a gift of insecurity. I remember walking blurry eyed from the tears hitting the pavement as I walked. I walked in the door to my house, my mom instantly saw my red...