.amelia.

folks, here lies my new project
https://writetheworld.com/profiles/76319/feed

Ravenclaw | Gemini

MBTI says I'm either INFP or INTJ
you choose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

too old to lie to myself and call it an honour
~Nick Carraway

take my revolution

welcome
you can leave the prejudices by the door, thx. there's too much surreal and experimental literature here, so they might explode.

Why am I into Revolutionary Girl Utena and The Great Gatsby?
Either because reality is brutal or my dreams are too big.
And both love to hint me of the latter.

Please don't mind if I don't reply on short notice. Just a low-profile writer, part-time in this world

folks, I present my new project

The Things They Carried

carried in escape

Swell into night with the moon up high, everyone would notice the strange figure crashing through the woods, clumsy and strange. They would witness the bizarre assourtment skins across the creature's. The cunning tail of a fox, the sly scales of a snake, the glorious hide of an eagle, the meek ears of a mouse...and a throng of other patches each claiming an identity on the skin.

But few realise its only a cloak, with a girl underneath.

Or how her skin wasn't sewn into cloak. Instead, hers' blotted in soot and ash, dirtied along with her golden hair as she ran farther away.

She carried only one more thing with her---a tiny drawstring bag overflowing with soft light and warmth. In the bag were three walnut shells, in which she stuffed three dresses.

One held the dress brilliant as the sun's rays, who used to cast its protective and confident heat upon everything the girl loved. Especially her mother.
...

[Insert Age]

18 [and if I'm actually an adult yet]

Normally, in most countries, being 18 crosses the second threshold of independence, besides being 16. It's the year you get to move out, live alone, go to college etc.

But being eighteen means a completely different thing in Singapore.

It means, you're taking GCE 'A' levels this year (if you're in Junior College). It means you get to drink, it means you get to vote, it means you get to drive. It also means you're not in a university, not in a job, and still living with your parents (which will most likely last until we're 35 here). But for all biologically male persons in Singapore, it means your time is coming for the ever-dreaded National Service.

Now, I'm not biologically male, so the little red dot doesn't believe in dragging me to train in the army, peppered with a lurking, stereotypical, possibility of death...but I found this all so ironic.

Here we are, allowed to engage in activities adults...

Science Fiction Competition 2021

Prophecy

Ino¹ raised a small holograph. Its pixels glitched and blurred but a man smiled through, as though he just won a lottery and got his first PhD.

"Zion Rayne," noted Anna, pinned up her lace white hair and stood at attention. "Goes by the alias, Nelson Park."

"Good. And what does he do, Jon?" Ino's voice was stern. Her piercing eyes were harsher than her black clothes.

"Well, he—um—sells drugs in a shop every day." Jon fiddled with the sleeves of his scruffy jacket.

"What kind of drugs?" Ino stalked closer to him.

"DKQ...F890. 'Prophecy'." Ino's glare was so much colder than cryonics, Jon simply needed to take that tiny step back, before continuing.

"This prophecy...drug lets people glimpse their future. But how long the glimpse lasts, and how distant that future is, is out of their hands."

"Good. Thank you, Jon." Ino stepped back.

She took a moment to eye them both fiercely, before reminding, "The bargain we...

Novel Writing Competition 2020

1.5 - Forbidden Library

Was it a good idea?

Probably not.

Late-night venturing never ended well.

Still, Tara stayed, to peer through the glass and marvel at the glorious library.

Honey-coloured lights trickling down walls and shelves, gathering in golden pools across polished surfaces. Rosewood tables nestled with velvet chair around a statue bathed in ocean blue sapphires. And far behind the tables were mazes of shelves, standing like hegdes among a garden of knowledge.

Tara gingerly tapped the glass, disintegrating it into crystal pixels that reformed when she entered.

The earthly smell of paper drifted all over the vacant room. Winter cold air-conditioning lapped at her skin.

"Woah." Tara mouthed. The girl had never seen that many books in one place.

This was monumental.

Tara headed straight into the centre of the maze. She ambled down the narrow paths stopping to open beautiful books emblazoned in platinum or bound in aged leather.

There was a particular extraordinary book, scrawled in feathery,...

3. The news that ruined the morning

"Hey, Amber," Terrence called her. "Have you seen Tara?"

Amber was...an acquaintance. One they just made at the academy. Though Tara completely trusted Amber as "Dormitory Buddies", Terrence still couldn't get over her eyes.

They held a snarky shade of fiery red, sweeping across surroundings with much condescension in their double-lidded eyes. That pointed chin, tilted head and flaming red hair didn't help either.

He particularly hated the way she called Tara "doll".

Like looks mattered so much more than her name.

Amber frown, rubbing fingers over a funny scar stretching over her olive skin. "I'm sure she's heading down now."

"You sure?" Terrence inquired sceptically.

"Yeah. I just woke her up. She was drooling and sleeping on the floor but I didn't want the Doll to be late."

There was the nickname again.

"Why is she on the floor? How are you sure she's awake? Did you see her sit up She? She could've fallen back to...

2. Peculiar Night

Part 1--Forbidden Library

===================================

1 hour ago

Tara couldn't sleep.

Carlton kept her awake for so long, she gave up trying to doze off.

Not that Carlton was actually here, invading the girls' dorm, yapping ceaselessly. It was the one in Tara's imagination that refused to go away.

"Well, it's something, isn't it?" Imaginary Carlton looked at the application form, with silver edges that shimmered in the moonlight.

Tara snatched it away and stuffed it under her pillow.

Imaginary Carlton remained unaffected by her cold shoulder.

"Still giving the silent treatment?" He makes a long face.

Tara buried herself in the blanket.

But then again, he was a figment of her imagination. Every annoying word he utters, was loud and clear.

"Aw c'mon." He whines. "Don't do this! You got in. Aren't you excited at all?"

"No." She finally mumbles.

"Why not?"

"You weren't brave enough to come with me and Terrence."

"Brave?" The voice got...

That Sort of Person

If you ever fall-

She was that sort of fairy.

1.
With tangled brown curls tumbling softly over her shoulders. You would watch her sift the knots out, mumbling of imperfection.

But you'd tell her, knots don't change anything.

2.
She sings. Puts siren melodies to shame. So crisp and clear, it brings an emotion stronger than nostalgia.

Though what emotion that is, you wouldn't ever know.

3.
Everything about her was gentle.

The smile thawing every icy heart. Sunrays blanketing such a delightful expression.

Till she glowed.

If you ever caught it--at it's twilight moment--the image shall burn through your memory, for the eternities to come.

4.
The graceful curves she moves, make you forget your own. You'd stare as she sways
and twirls in her angel white dress.

Then, she'd laugh and pull you along, teaching you her graceful steps. Soft fingers tracing your skin. Sweet laughter echoing the landscape.

Never shall you forget the tingling feeling she left bubbling in your...

In her plastic shell

That girl was a Barbie doll.

With glossy voluminous hair and perfect makeup. Everyday, she'd strut down the school hallways in flawless, rigid strides and black ballet boots.

When she walked by, people turned to stare.

Vogue magazines models were no match for her magnificent smile--the crimson cresent that illuminated her face.

But no one really like the girl.

Whether they were simply jealous, or considered the evil sealed within this plastic Barbie doll, no one was her friend. The only thing they concerned themselves with, was the things this girl could do to them.

Naturally, curiosity and fear got the better of her schoolmates.

One day, when she strolled down the hallway, they caught her. They tied her up and burnt a hole in her rubbery shell.

Most expected a demonic apparition to tear through the gap, howling and screeching.

But nothing of the sort happened.

Everyone grew perplexed, till a boy bravely slid his hand into the Barbie...

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

my Translation Guide to Blending In

It's written on my wrist--the paler spot on the inside, for easy reference.
It's scrawled in red pen ink--the things I must do.

Don't join converzayshuns thou they're fun.
No streinge movements.
Never let your gard down.
Hellp others, at any expanse.
Smile.

Hopefully, I'll write them in my brain--so they won't fade away as easily.

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

my Translation Guide to Blending In

Don't join conversations though they're fun.
No funny movements.
Never let your guard down.
Help others, at any expense.

Hopefully, I'll write them in my brain--so they won't fade away easily.

She stole more than ingredients

Quinn could almost hear his  apologetic whispers as he set the trap. She could imagine how sorry he must feel lacing a skinny net over the glossy blue glob.

But what for?

Cole's pathetic apologies couldn't remove sticky blue remnants staining her hands. Neither could he ease the pain her Mum was suffering for months.

So, why guiltily apologise over and over when it didn't change anything?

Quinn sighed.

She snatched up the mouldy sponge and began scrubbing the floor with unnecessary vigour.

It began quite simply.

Quinn was skilled at stealing, but she never planned to execute such a thing. The penniless girl merely borrowed the ingredients she couldn't afford.

When her created the remedy that cured Mum, Quinn vowed to pay for all the stuff she borrowed.

Promising herself that for the umpteenth time, Quinn went on her midnight heist.

She landed quietly on the her two feet, through the tiny window into a dark room. The...

She stole more than ingredients

But what for?

Quinn sighed.

It began quite simply.

My non-exhaustive list of oddities | #CharacterQuirks

1.
it would come as a surprise to many people that I don't have instagram or twitter or any other social media platform (except WhatsApp, Wattpad and Pinterest for that matter) Not that my parents are strictly banning me from all this

I just haven't honestly found any great need for those social media platforms
*shrugs*
I mean, I won't actually much post stuff
(because I'm horrible at taking photos)

2. 
I have a thing against Deus ex Machina. My mom stands more strongly against it, but I'll still flinch if stories use it in their main plot

3.
here's to the people who eat runny eggs

I don't hate them
i just hate the way all the yolk spills everywhere

so I have this habbit of cutting out the yolk and eating it separately

4.
I'm not exactly INTP

honestly?
I'm kind of the in-betweens that are difficult to discern
so technically, according to the most recent test...

Outrunning fate | #SomethingUnique2

Her resilience shattered like glass, against a cold brick wall scraping her delicate skin.

Elera was nothing.

She only need look at the cruelly beautiful woman, to remind herself.

This particular lady wore a dress encrusted with wicked black gems. Her sparkling dark eyes complemented the onyx diamonds resting proudly on her golden crown.

Her musical voice, a deadly spell that cut the air from Elera's lungs.

"My dear, you can't just walk away." Her siren voice chided. "You're a princess. Your place is in this castle!"

"My queen, I didn't-" Elera reasoned.

"And you shouldn't!" The queen flashed a brilliant smile. "We wouldn't want to lose our only heir, would we?"

Elera struggled but couldn't find the words to challenge the monarch.

And so Elera's barrier of resilience collapsed. Years of subdued emotion came crashing down.

Still, the royal suppressed what she could behind a mask of indifference.

So the queen couldn't take joy in her pain.

"Run along,...

Also-Artists Community Challenge Week 1 | Something I whipped up in 30mins

So, i don't show off my art alot. I just keep them in the corner of my school diaries like this one here :p

Anyway, I do portraits alot, so the subsequent three will be similar.

This one (currently my profile pic) isn't anyone in particular.
But basically, the character is looking up, her head tilted up a little, to give her a hopeful look. If the quality of this photo isn't too bad, you'll see a small frown across her face, for frustration.

and so, through this sketch I've essentially covered my general emotion I feel--constant frustration and failure, but still struggling to hold on to what little hope I have. :|

thx for stopping by to appreciate
check out the official challenge here
Also-Artists Community Challenge Week 1https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/177129/version/352855

Trusting fears | #randomthoughts(4)

Placing the pendant on my palm, I whispered the word three times.

Death. Death. Death.

Pamela's black gem went to work.

Fuzzy clouds of darkness spewed from its clefts, as it sucked dapples of warmth from the cool air in my bedroom. Rays of afternoon sun filtering through the huge window sulked away, leaving the place to dim significantly.

And sure as always, he appeared in the centre of my crimson carpet.

Usually, Death came as a twelve-year-old in a faded, grey cotton shirt and pants, insisting I called him Jimmy. But today, he was a teenager with midnight black wings, pearly white peplos, and a crown of leaves over his mousy brown hair.

For a moment he seemed lost, confused and ultimately relieved.

Then, Death turned stiffly to voluntarily explain.

"Zeus was having another of his ridiculous council meetings again." He reasoned. "Hades couldn't take it alone, so he insisted I came along."

"Oh. Want to come back...

Fugitives | #boredwriter

She didn't belong here.

Her eyes were the shade of thunder clouds rolling over the restless sea. The glints in her irises were lightning.

I've only ever saw such fury and tirelessness in one other person.

Myself.

That was how I knew Eunice was an assasin.

No one as rich could possibly hold the same hunger and determination in their eyes. Much less, on a golden morning at an splendid cafe.

Eunice was sent to kill me.

I knew it. The day I was issued her vague details, a photo with those stormy eyes and a jetblack automatic, something had always felt...wrong.

We were sent to eliminate each other. For entertainment perhaps? It would merely be the removal of equal variables from both sides of their elaborate equation.

She must know too, for she barely covered for the cyanide she added in my tea.

"Let's talk instead. I'm not very thirsty." I set the innocent looking cup on...

The stolen sword | #rollthedice_2 | #ollie1stcomp

It only took a mere few seconds for Phase to vanish.

A moment between the shift of guards, the Queen's sword of democracy disappeared without a trace.
At least, that was what I heard from Mills over the phone.

"...It's insane. The guards are in a frenzy, the Duke is there-"

"Duke?" I asked. "Grand one, or his brother."

"The Grand Duke. You know what? Just come over. Asap." He hung up.

Grand one. I thought. Fair enough.

I removed my princess tiara and heavy gown to put on some shirt and pants. I wore my favourite black coat and pinned my hair in a simple french twist.

To keep my face hidden, I put on the usual pointed hat and run my fingers through the slender feather for luck.

Satisfied, I sneaked out the window in comfortable leather boots.

When I arrived at the scene, there wasn't much panic anymore.

The forcefield around the vault was like...

Love is... | #champion

CHARACTERS

TARA is a witty girl. She is fairly pretty, with unruly short, white hair and bright amber eyes.

TERRENCE is TARA's brother, but maintains his short black hair well. He shares the same amber eyes as his sister.

CARLTON is a friend of ANDREW and TARA. They are closely knit classmates. He usually has a bright ecstatic grin that is emphasised by his cobalt blue eyes and curly brown hair.

ANDREW is a plain boy who dresses in shades of grey. But it brings out the kaleidoscope of colours in his beautiful eyes.

Act I: PROMISING
In this act, they are children. TARA, CARLTON and ANDREW are about twelve. TERRENCE is about a year older.
It is late afternoon, after school.
TARA and ANDREWare in a room large enough to fit a table, some chairs, a stack of books and CD cases. They seem relaxed as they sit on the chairs, both reading one of...

Comp Results Out !! | #bitofbliss

First off, thanks to everyone who supported my comp and entered it. :) It may not have been a huge competition, but I'm glad to get 12 amazing entries from everyone!! Thanks guys!

Before i announce the winners, I'll say that judging your pieces was kinda tough. So, if you didn't win, still know that your piece is still awesome. :)

Anyway, without further ado, here are the winners

Prompt 1
1st place
How It Was Supposed To Be by Just_A_Memory

2nd place
To Be Your Weakness by elliemccul

3rd place
An Unfortunate Pair by AutumnRain

Honorable mentions
I was kind of tied here, so I'll award you both
that one day... by Ollie Octopus
The perfect match by Halopoet

For prompts 2 and 3, I didn't receive enough entries, so I'll just list down the entries I got.
Prompt 2
The Secret Society of Plath's 103° by Brielle P. Chor
Domina Est Timere by elliemccul

Prompt 3
magic cats...

The group in the meadow: The overlap | #ReefirstComp Prompt3

After a long expanse of awkward silence, Hannah decided to talk.

"Just asking..." Her voice came out small and squeaky.

She froze up like a deer in headlights as he whirled around to look at her with luminous green eyes. His lips curled into a smile that seemed to understand everything she was about to say.

It was impossibly difficult not to smile back.

"Yeah?" Lyre lifted an eyebrow as he strolled alongside her in the most elegant way.

"I...uh..." Volts of electricity shot down her spine.

FOCUS. She warned herself.

"I..."   Hannah reached out to gesture at the crown but swallowed the rest of the words.

She was hopeless at socialising.

"You're...worried about the flowers?" Lyre helped her.

"Yes." She sighed, relieved.

"Why?" He encouraged with that all-knowing smile.

"You guys are popular." Hannah flicked off another ball of dust. "And I'm just me. They'll laugh at me...wearing this."

"You think?" Lyre smirked.

Yeah, and I guess...

Competition for all! #bitofbliss_□ (Closed :p)

Okay. Let's hope this works. I know I probably don't have enough follower count for this, but I don't mind.

I'm hosting this comp because I just wanted to know everybody's doing okay, given the whole pandemic. Besides, school holidays are here so why not?

Okay here's the prompts

Prompt #1
Write about two romantic characters of contrasting social class.

Honestly, I've an unusual fascination over the Royal vs Commoner ship. So, I'd love to see how y'all interpret this prompt! :D

It could literally be a monarch and their guard or classic popular kid in school and the poor misunderstood fellah. Who knows?

Prompt #2
Write about a secret society in our world.

The next thing I can't get enough of. Secret groups of magical people living amongst us. But really, this society doesn't have to have powers. They could be like MIB members or super agents under cover. That's awesome too!

Prompt #3
Magical cats.

To all the...

There's always something | #champion

Every 25 years, the Heathens would always send their youngest grandson to cast a ribbon into the ocean.

Merlock never really drew a connection between the custom, and the health and longevity it promised for centuries. But for the sake of his family, he honoured it.
So, when the privilege was bestowed upon Merlock, he received the it without objection.

He was the son of the youngest uncle. Everyone knew old Lady Heathens would plant that silver ribbon into Merlock's open palm.

Still, the family had smiled and appluaded politely. His parents in particular, were bursting with pride.

The only one who didn't, was his younger sister.

That ribbon is mine. Meredith told him across the room with her unsettling glare.

Merlock couldn't think of anything to reply her. He pretended to inspect the glossy ribbon, instead.

It was not that Merlock hated his sibling.

Weeks before the occasion, he searched for anyone who would side the idea of Meredith...

Primavera | #ekphrasis1

When Noah returned to the apartment, he didn't expect anything beyond the usual.

Yet, as the dim lights blinked on, a little tulip poised beautifully in the hallway.

Noah bent down to look.

Its fuchsia little bud stood perfectly between the cracks of the old flooring.

As he was about to rise, Noah saw another.

A few metres away was an exotic tiger lily. Striking tuscany yellow petals curling out drew Noah in for a closer inspection.

Like the tulip, this flower slipped between the fine crack to bask its pointy little leaves in the fluorescent glow.

Noah shook his head and scanned the room.

That was when he saw the cherry blossoms, perching on onyx branches. They had been waiting mutely for his attention, like exquisite little birds with clipped wings.

Noah reached out to pluck one out, just to make sure it wasn't real.

It was.

So, he twirled the silky little thing and trudged to his tiny office,...

Okay here's the prompts

Prompt #1

Prompt #2

Prompt #3
Magical cats.

To all the...

Spirits' gathering

"Oh, oh." Joe clapped his hands eagerly. "Tell them about the unicorns."

The mischievous glint in his beady black eyes followed by a maniacal laugh made Iona curious.

"Unicorns?" She asked tentatively.

"In all the twelve spirits." Nathan, moaned and buried his face in calloused hands.

"Tell her, Camille. Tell her." Joe begged like a child on sugar rush.

"Okay." The heavy lidded girl seated beside him smirked.

In the dim lights, her metallic coloured dress glowed in shades of the stormy sea. Red hair spilling over her shoulders made her grin sinister.

Camille took an elegant sip from her martini glass.

"To know that, you must first understand that all Fish spirits are good liars." She paused to relish the attention of her friends.

"How so?" Someone prompted.

"They're really good--like better than wolves and their full moon nonsense. They invented mermaids and sirens. Cool right?"

"Joe, we do, respect Wolves for their tale. I hope...

Lunar Phrases

The Moon and its Sky | #champion

She wanted the moon.

So he took it down for her.

With a sturdy wooden ladder propped against the midnight sky, he climbed high into the clouds and plucked it out. He tucked the moon safely under his arm like a soccer ball and climbed the ladder, gripping the footholds firmly on the way down.

Though its silvery radiance forced him to squint, he never wavered. His feet eventually hit the concrete pavement, dense and hardened with safety.

He handed her the moon.

Rays of moonlight trickled down over his hands and dripped on the floor. They passed over his skin like a warm summer breeze, tempting him.

He gave her the moon anyway.

Her eyes glinted the colour of steel as she took the moon hungrily and held it in a suffocating embrace.

She barely let go of it, cradling the moon in her arms, with a gentle smile on her...

Update!! Read if you entered/planning to enter my comp #bitofbliss_□

So, if you're just getting to know about my comp, here's the link to the original prompts and deets you musn't miss.

#bitofbliss_□

Thanks to everyone who entered!
A little insight, I'm glad I'm getting quite a few entries for the the comp.

But guys, if anyone could try out for the second and third prompt, it'll be greatly appreciated. :)

Judging Criteria
In case anyone's wondering, here are some of the key things I'll be considering to find my winners.

• Creativity of your interpretation of the prompt
  • The flow of the story
  • Writing style (pretty open towards this one)
  • Story arc, where applicable
That said, don't worry if you made any huge spelling/grammatical error. Happens to everyone once in a while.  :) So, I won't really factor it in, unless it's gets a little tough to read :p.

Keep writing y'all! :D
.amelia.

The tiny flaw | #BaringMySoul3

Mirages were flashing all over the room. They whizzed around and exploded into brilliant bursts of neon cloud.

Typical Olivia.
Lis cursed under her breath and hugged her bag closer.

"Olivia?!" She yelled over the chaos.

No reply could be heard.

"OLIVIA??!!"

Finally, the mirages dimmed away till their existence vanished. Then, a shock of dark brown curls pulled back by a canary headband popped up by a door in the corner.

Violet ignited in her sparkling irises.

"Asterlis!" Olivia exclaimed.

The rest of her body appeared, dressed colourful sashes hanging under an ivory white shirt. In one of her slender and huge hands was a crystal ball she seemed to be inspecting.

"What brings you here dear?" Olivia gestured at the messy shop. There wasn't an inch devoid of peculiar trinkets, books or weirdly shaped glass bottles.

"Well, y-"

"Actually, do come in. I'm busy and I trust you. So..." the diviner beckoned at Lis before slipping into the...

Just a little encouragement for people who need it | #hopecontest3

Hey guys me again.

Well, recently, I didn't qualify for super elite gathering for talented writers, got really frustrated with myself and I guess y'all know the rest.
But then I was like...

Doesn't everybody go through this?

So, I feel like someone needs to write something to keep everyone going and keep fighting for what they're really passionate for.

Because, there'll always be this one point you start questioning yourself.

And, I'll tell you to stop right there.

I mean, look at it this way.

You, have been through so much and nobody else has ever gone through your rejection, hurt or frustration you have been through.

So, take a minute to respect yourself for pulling through, because I'm know you have improved so A LOT from what you were.

Still, if you think you're not making progress, think again. Because right now (in my gamer point of view), I think you're just levelled up, with an empty Xp...

I ought to forget | #PrompyCompy2

Honestly, I wish you never came.

It ruined the night, making it a day we'd never forget.

Maybe you'll come back, wrapped in shades of sapphire moonlight, with your lovely smile.

That way, I wouldn't be so frustrated--knowing that I've squandered my time in your divine presence. I could have a good night's sleep, without the melody of your voice and your elegant lemonade dress to haunt me every day.

Your touch was bewitching. Hands soft as silk, skin with glimmering hints of gold. I would run my fingers over my palm, but they simply couldn't recreate the placid warmth of your hand on mine.

But your eyes were the worst. For a week now, I couldn't wipe them from the back of my head.

When they looked at me, their silver irises almost glowed. It's almost like starlight converged into them, melding your eyes into weilders of compassion. They were so warm and gentle, I wished that it's serene...

I DON'T miss you | #Samina50

Stop doing this to me.

My heart does get tired. And, I can't keep thinking about you all the time.
But it feels like you're thinking about me.

Last November night, you showed up in my dreams without reason.

In the chilly blackness, you cradled me in your arms like someone you could always trust. Your chin was rested my shoulder and were hands over mine.

And for some reason, I knew you belonged like this.

You knew it too.

But eyes began looking our way. They reminded of us who we were and pulled us apart.

It's not real. I told myself.

Although, it never stopped coming back to me.

That very morning, was one of my final three O Level* papers--Biology.

Every few questions, I was reminded that someday you were going to be out there solving this in real life, in a white coat at a hospital.

The massive hall was so quiet, nothing peeled me from your...

To a friend I've never really met | #70comp2

"Let me tell you something," she told me with utmost sincerity.

Naturally, I paid close attention, watching as the breeze brushed streaks of white hair over her blazing eyes.

"Sure, it'll be painful to get hurt by someone." There was despair in her eyes. 

"But, it's gonna hurt a thousand times more when you realise you've been hurting that person all along."

I never forgot the line ever since.

In fact, I guess I'll never really forget her as a whole.

I would always remember how we ate snacks together at the deserted school chess area. We would sit in the squeaky wooden benches and meddle with chipped knights and broken queens.

I couldn't remember who's idea it was. But to the both of us, this was a heaven. We could find literally anything in this quiet little place. Chess trophies dulling away in musty cabinets, books that dated back to the 1960s and a peculiar metal circlet...

The group in the meadow: Acceptance | #NinjasContest_2

Lyre. Lyre. His name rolled over the tip of her tongue.

Well, curse you, Lyre! She snapped mentally.

Hannah reached to fling the crown on the stone floor and stomp it to pieces.

But she wouldn't.

When Lyre set it gently upon her head, it sank roots of intoxicating comfort into the knolls and dells of her complicated brain.

It was so deep in, Hannah simply couldn't lift the crown without feeling guilty.

The school bell jolted her awake.

Hannah groaned and pulled herself up.
From huddling in a mini-soccer net--once a brilliant blue parasol--her right leg was dead to the world. Cakes of dust clumping across the old net now clung to her hair and clothes like frizzy accessories.

Hannah gripped on the plastic bar overhead to lift her off her tired legs.

The slim bar squeaked and gave in.

She landed on the ashen grey floor in a startled heap. The bar was snapped clean and impossible...

The group in the meadow: Preluding | #126

Kindness is a venom. A toxin. Something like tobacco or nicotine.

Hannah didn't want any.
That didn't make her a wicked person. In fact, Hannah gave to everyone with all her heart.

But her selflessness had one condition.

If anyone showed her kindness, Hannah might just start thinking the world saved her a spot where she could truly belong. And then, she'd start opening up, trusting everyone and relying on people.

Only to be shot down by betrayal.

Maybe they just needed a little more time. She used to think. Or perhaps some more kindness?

But after countless cycles of shattered trust, Hannah learned it simply wasn't the case.

It made Hannah realise that it was better to do things alone. As much as she wished to hang out with the lovely bunch of schoolmates that lay under the golden sun every lunch break, laughing away on peridot meadow...

...it was better she didn't.

The good thing was, whispers down...

(1) Last summer

There were only two reasons why I sat by the window to read every night.

First, it was far quieter than the day. And second, there was light by the window--dim white light that brushed across the pages in pale swashes.

Only two reasons.

It had absolutely nothing to do with anyone showing up on particular nights in a aegean blue shirts or dark brown loafers that belonged to his father.

He developed an annoying ritual of throwing pebbles at the window to get my attention.

Tonight was no different.

When the first pebble tapped on the glass pane, I flung open the window.

"This window is made of glass, Cirin." I shouted down at him from the second floor. "You could just knock."

Cirin smiled back at me, electric blue eyes practically glowing in the darkeness.

"I did remember someone telling me they couldn't hear me knocking the door."

It was tempting to throw a stone at...

Open Prompt

The Matchmakers | #onetrick(1)

Junette woke me up. Her hands were clamped tightly to my shoulders to shake me with such vigour, my head jolted back and forth.

Consciousness started sweeping in with a strange sugary scent clogging up my nose.

I sat up fast, choking and gagging out whatever smelled like over-sweetened medicine.

Where on earth-? I panicked, overwhelmed by the rosy pink that engulfed the whole room in it's brightly coloured shades.

Even the beds had lemonade sheets and pastel bed posts. Bottles in the same brilliant colour sat with coral pink medical supplies, in fuscia cupboards, looking like they've just been rummaged.

Junette watched me, more bored than apathetic.

"That's the smell of ambrosia. Get used to it." She rose, from my bed to adjust her pinstripe suit of pink and black.

Or maybe, she was sick and tired of nursing a kid who probably drooled and ate hair in her sleep.

"Embryo-sa?" I mimicked the pronunciation with little success.

"Am-...

Birthday | #LGBTQFantasy

By the time Len got out of detention, the blueness of the sky faded into orange streaks. The road back home was already darkening with the setting sun.

Perhaps it was better that way. Len didn't have to walk back the same time his classmates did to get called "freak" all over again. Neither did he have to worry about getting jumped by teens lurking round the neighborhood.
A hand clamped itself over his wrist.

He spoke too soon.

Len yanked his hand thrashing, kicking and screaming wildly.

"Woah-hey! Easy there." The grip disappeared. "Len, it's me."

Len got a close look at the face in the shadows. He caught a pair of golden eyes blending too well with the sunset. He noticed the way the familiar warm smile glowed.

"Theo," Len relaxed.

"Took a while." Theo reached out to hug his pal.

Len cracked into a grin.

"Why are you here?"

Theo shot him a quizzical look.

"Why can't...

In hiding | #marchPb&pig

I wasn't going to change my mind.

"You can wait outside if you want." I sidestepped and slapped his hands away.
"And get hunted down again?"

I shrugged.

"I just met you. I don't mind parting so soon."

Dennis fiddled with the hem of his sweat-soaked shirt. Eyes darted around, like the Rouns still had us surrounded. Scarlet teeth marks were imprinted over his lower lip, still quivering from adrenaline.

"Okay, okay. I'm going."

Dennis waded alongside me, one wrong step from tumbling into the deep green grassbed.

Foilage enfolded the cottage in its embrace. Leaves were peeking out of bricks. Flowers lay on white walls as tiny dapples of brilliant colour. I could hardly make out the gingerbread-coloured roof.

A breeze tore the stillness and ruffled branches of unyielding trees. One shrub was particularly dishevelled, giving my partner a fright.

"Get back." Dennis squeaked, already a good two metres away.

I didn't. I waited for the ruffling to stop.
...

(Part 2:) Lost you anyway

This time I was ready.

My camera went everywhere I did.

Tucked away safely in a chestnut leather bag slung over my shoulder, it thudded on my thigh as I walked. My fingers would slide into the bag, feeling the camera's smooth surface and genuine existence.

You see, I wasn't just haunted by your radiance.

I was afraid it was all a lucid hallucination. A week had passed, with not a hint of your presence. Yet, your all too vivid smile brewed a courage I needed to seek you out.

So I spent whatever time I had wandering through the woods.

I scoured for your lemonade dress fluttering through the faint sun rays. I even camped under the stars, hoping we'd meet again under the same tree.

But of course my results were poor.

My routes through the foilage grew shorter each day. And my once robust determination was now watered down by exhausting setbacks.

But as it always happens,...

I ought to forget | #PrompyCompy2

Honestly, I wish you never came.

Tower | #Helpme2020

Trust me, if you've never been stood up, consider yourself blessed. The shame of everyone staring at you and hurt of realizing their actually not coming, is whole a new level of heartbreak.

It certainly was for me.

Maybe rejection would hurt more for anyone else. But to wait alone and watch all your faith trickle away, justified my opinion.

The candlelit restaurant seemed a little gloomier. Idle chatter sounded more like ringing in my ears. And my new dress didn't feel so special anymore.

Waiting 31 minutes for Roland gave me idle time to count the 20 other tables, with 32 other guests. Everyone was having a good time.

Everyone but me.

I could feel people looking at the empty seat infront of me or cast apologetic looks my way. A group of ladies stared even, probably wondering why I bothered waiting.

"Miss, are you sure you don't want to place your order first?" The waitress approached me for...

Their worst predicament yet | #kickoff

Great. Just great. She thought. The wretched man was back yet again to join her in the mortal world.

How did she know? His arrogant ways. All these millennia she was stuck with him, never had she seen a since mortal who could match his ego.

What's worse, in this lifetime the scales were flipped.

She was no longer the tall fierce Amazon, against the Roman civilian. Or the midwife of average height, by the least. She was reborn as a rich little girl, and he, as a powerful lord, of great build.

Of course, she was more than thrilled to be in a blessed family, with loving parents who gifted her with beautiful clothes, wonderful food and a large home. Alas, they passed right before her thirteenth birthday, like the work of the Devil himself.

Sweet Emma, her aunt, cooed after the funeral. I know you miss them dearly, but you must find a husband.

Aunt Imithus, I'm...

Kitsune | #febvalentine

There was nothing different about the sky. Everyday, it was the same plain blue through his large window, situated right by his fish tank.

Charles hated that window, as he grew. It wasn't just because it was awfully hard to jerk the drapes close or open. Rather, he hated the window, for it showed him everything he couldn't have as a royal.

People in comfortable coats and dresses would walk along the street. Kids his age would be chasing each other on the way to school. But his personal favourite had always been the old trinket shop run by an elderly man with a wispy beard.

Charles swore to himself that he would one day make his palace a cottage, just so he could someday live a simple life like the man.

In the depth of his thoughts, Charles missed the multi-coloured parakeet that had landed on his windowsill.

He was startled by it's call.

"Maddie?" Charles' eyes sparked eagerly.
...

The spell | #romanticize

"Flowers...flowers..." I whispered out of habit. Beads of sweat were forming on my face but the flowers weren't appearing.

I closed my eyes and tried again. Speaking it's name and imagining it's vibrance. Yet the little blue vase was persistently empty.
"They'll grow." A familiar voice assured me.

"I've been trying for a day Mum." I complained, massaging my aching fingers. "Plus, it's not a hard spell."

"Let me try," she sat down at the dining table beside me.

Mum delicately reached her fingers out to touch the vase. Purple little bellflowers sprung up, blooming on their skinny stems.

"I think," Mum finally said. "You're trying too hard."

I was rendered speechless. Me? Too hard? Mum knew so well it took me so much energy to pull off practically any spell. How was this different?

"You can try in class." She suggested.

I looked at the clock. It was a quarter to two. Class starts in fifteen minutes...

MIRRANE | #oddsbodikins

Bear with me. People can hallucinate, I know. But I'm telling you this whole thing isn't planned or faked. I'm pretty sure I wasn't drugged too, so don't start on that one.

I'll begin from the top, back in the day when I was utterly oblivious. Unless you're popular, it's a regular day at my high school. I was getting stuff from my locker when Lailir came to me.

Lailir isn't any popular kid. She's one of those kids who puts on dark eyeliner and pull it off really well. If she were more sociable, she could join my friend circle. (That is, walking down the school corridor looking like Mr Bean clones.)   "Thanks for saving me yesterday." Lailir started twisting the jacket string.

"Anytime. But I'm surprised Bennett and his fellow jocks would target you." I mumbled, sticking my hand into the maze of papers chucked in my locker.

"Here," Lailir ignored my absurd comment. She fished...

11.11 | #bemine(4)

The voices were ghoulish, haunting but lively. So she stood at the far corner by the buffet table. At least, no one there told her to stop staring at the clock or not to eat only the strawberries.

For a while, she had been waiting patiently. She moved only to eat, with eyes fixed on the passing time.

The second hand slid past 12 and the minute hand crawled to 11.

11.11p.m.

A smile lit her face. The girl set down her plate of cake, closing her eyes and opening her arms.

The scene that once surrounded her distorted. What was a shiny disco ball was now a warped, silvery 'U'. The fancy clothes of party-goers melted into a swirling mess. Chatter and music faded away into the silence.

All was engulfed by a yawning black void, that left nothing but a rose-red lantern floating by her side.

Stood firmly on the onyx floor, she snapped her eyes open to...

The gold wars | #MagicalRealism

Before I tell you anything, let me say a few things first.
1. I'm like sixteen, which doesn't make old enough to teach magic to prodigies. (And yes, on contrary beliefs, it certainly does exist.)
2. Whatever I'm about to tell you is totally not my fault.
3. I was previously unaware, some spells were illegal.

Though it's a good and common thing to be a prodigy, I wasn't one. It took me five painful years, to accept that magic exists, harness its power and draw attention of the authorities...

Alas, that is another story I'll save for next time. This one is about my favorite student, Nala.

Nala was special. Amongst all the other prodigies, she stood out. Quite literally, her her magic was golden coloured. The girl always wore a pendant round her neck. It was so large and encrusted with glittering yellow rhinestones, it hung on her tummy when she sat.

When the kids had a break, they would...

Answers to Fantasy League questions

1. Do you want to join this group?  Yes! I'd love to!

2. Would you prefer if I created the group by publishing the prompts, or an actual group like "Flash Fiction?" Explain. I would, because the prompts and competitions world be clearer to see, easier to access and would reach out to many more users who want to join this group.

3. What is a catchy name for this group? ...Fantasy league...?

4. What do you consider "fantasy?" I believe fantasy is a world of imagination, built from inspirations and possibilities.

5. Do you think that fantasy poems can be included? Sure, yes.

6. Do you think I should also give an opportunity to fantasy reviewers? Absolutely. Though fantasy can be an objective thing sometimes, it's good to have someone's opinion.

7. What is a good time I should post the prompts, so that you all will see it? One a month...? I guess that would be okay.

8. Do you...

Star Wish

Our goals

No, we didn't set up a campfire.

It was close enough though. We had a glowing fire to shield us from the darkness and with heat that kept us warm when the wind rushed in.

Everyone was hungry, but no one spoke. In three days, we had began making unanimous decisions for one another. This was one of them.

Or maybe, we were just tired. Running round a dark mansion can exhaust anyone out.

"We still have two days." Bennett announced hopefully.

The others sighed and shook their heads in dismay.

"You guys..." Lilith paused to make sure we were listening. "When I signed up, I was trying to make a difference. Proving I can do it..."

She looked into the blank darkness. "I'm overdoing, aren't I?"

"What? No." Winston answered, looking over the fire to Lilith. "Man, I have brothers who do crazy extreme sports like skydiving and stuff."

I looked at the lanky boy at a new...

A Fictional Landscape

Murphy's Law

I stopped in my tracks and laughed, really hard.

"What's so funny?" Travis snapped, flinching with unease.

I calmed myself, for I had a stubborn kid to lecture.

"Your innocence." I hissed at Travis.

"What the hell's your problem?"

Travis was fed up and tired. So am I.

"Listen up nitwit." I marched right into his personal bubble. "I'm no normal kid 'kay? In case you don't know, I spent my life trying to get out of this shithole and now you want in?!"

"Yeah, and what is SO wrong about that?"

"Well, what's so wrong?" I glared at him.

"Teens my age kill people for a living. People."

I poked him in the chest, sending him tumbling on the floor.

"Gee." I plopped down on the soil. "Be grateful you have bloody trees and animals here."

"...So?" Travis said, massaging his chest.

Heck. I thought to myself. I really wanna slap this kid awake.
...

My child

when I was young
my mother told me very little she hid truths
she wasn't supposed to

I went hungry
starving for knowledge
I searched the streets
for my own answers
injured myself
to a point
of no return

Now I raise you
answering all your questions
truthfully
so you never go hungry
search the streets
injure yourself
like I did.

People scorn
but they don't understand
innocence isn't the refusal to believe
it's the hope you preserve
of the world and
it's ways

But your hunger is growing
so quickly
my void is not enough

I have to let you search
the great beyond
for your own answers
praying
you will return
when you still can

Novel Writing Competition 2019

In the midst of things

"Wait here. I'll be quick." Pierce walked into the room. His silhouette melted into the syrupy darkness.

Tara stood outside adjusting the mask. She never really expected Pierce to welcome the idea. Tara was better off dressing in sunglasses and a black coat. She blended in better.

People walked across in dark colored clothing. Quite a number wore a pin on their collars. Some were carrying a strange assortment of things.

Tara watched a youngster in a blue coat walk by. The red dash on his coat and the way he nervously read off his tablet drew her attention. Perhaps the kid would be at the meeting?

Her eyes landed on another. The thin boy was physically no older than Tara. As he made his way towards her, she could see the furrows in his heavily modified sweater. His bony face was bent into an unsettling grin.

"I believe we've never met?" The boy asked.

"Not until now." Tara curtly...

Your View

10 things that MATTER

1.  Everyone should have the right to love anyone they wish to. Seriously. No matter which gender.
  2. People shouldn't be judged by their skin colour. Not every Chinese on the street comes from China and eats dog meat. Really, we laugh about that stereotype a lot.
  3. This brings me to my next point. No one deserves to be superior or inferior in anyway. Some women faced things guys haven't.
  4. What goes around, comes around. (Spiritual belief, but) I still believe in it. No pain, no gain.
  5. When someone falls in anyway, help them. On some occasions, it could mean the world to them.
  6. Being a "b*tch" is different from self-respectPeople tend to get that wrong a lot. One means putting yourself first. The other means caring for yourself.
  7. If you give and expect something back, that's not giving.  To actually give someone something means to actually sacrifice it, and not expect any kind of repayment.
  8. Never say that nothing surprised...

the warning | # Fortuna Major

I must say first that I hate alcohol. So never ask me to drink it.

Neither do I like caffine. It always made me feel like I've flew myself onto Empire State Building, then back down on my own two feet.

Hence, by the elimination of my narrow range of drink preferences, hot chocolate made it to the top of my list.

Indeed.

Warm hot chocolate, that scalded my eager mouth with its sweet and bitter aftertaste. Thick and creamy, it stays in my stomach, radiating a cosy warmth in my gut.

It was never bitter, thin coffee that bit at my tastebuds, sending me shooting around, finishing calculus at breakneck speed. And never was it sickly sweet alcohol, that intoxicated my mind, enticing me to head out past my curfew.

It had always been hot chocolate. In the mornings, with my lunch, and by the television before I slept.

But back then, I didn't understand that drinking the beloved...

Microphone

Submit

If you lowered a microphone
and dip it into the murky white matter
under the ashen grey layer
in the brain.

Screams you will hear
so ghoulish you might think their fake
but they hold the agony
that was stained in the strains
crying in a vocal chord

Then comes the silence.

Silence isn't good
it suffocates
enveloping you in its eerie soundlessness
for something
crawls behind it
ready to pounce.

A creatures you can never see.

It's cries echo
the blinding white matter
propagating out
forcing you to
surrender

give up

succumb

it would take care of everything else.

Teacher Gratitude

My empowering teacher

Dashiki skirt and warm brown eyes.
Golden smile and angelic voice.

That never existed for me.

Never in my neighborhood school have I ever seen a teacher whose aura of infinite passion captivate the entire class.

Never had a teacher with a radiant beam so full of patience tended to anyone, as though they were enthusiastic children with large potentials.

Honesty, I wasn't looking for a perfect teacher like that.

But, for some untold reason, I got the opposite.

Fierce black eyes and a tight black skirt.
A screaming angry voice and red lips that twisted in disgust.

Each lesson was filled with a tense atmosphere and endless practice papers that drowned my class.

No one dared to doze off, let alone request to go to the restroom.

"Nightmare..." A senseless and irritated student muttered as my teacher passed.

The next day, the student's frustration vanished, with his mind on the essay about history.

Since when was anyone in...

The Broken Quartet #this_is_my_world (a competition by caityege)

CarRie Faura couldn't stop looking back into her memory.

It was hard not to stare back into hungry dark eyes in the blackest corner of her mind. She could feel its icy presence breathing down her neck.

But it is all over now, CarRie told herself. She shuddered, shaking away the last fears that were clinging on her backpack.

Deeper she walked into the crisp autumn woods.

Trees and flat ground were covered in swashes of red, vermilion and the occasional yellow leaves. They crunched under her feet echoing the thin air that smelled of rain.

Then, CarRie stopped at a great oak tree that towered over her. She hummed a tune only familiar to the Ethereal world, hoping for a bird to pick it up.

Except, the birds didn't reply anymore.

CarRie hastened her lighthearted stroll, crunching more leaves in her path to hide her deep regretful sigh.

~

Her next stop was The Cave.

Though her companions...

Why I Write

To tell them

My reason is simple.

If you understand, lovely. If not, it's quite alright too.

I write because my speech is crippled. Maybe I'm cursed that way, to forever fear opening my mouth to simply speak.

For all the greetings I receive, and all the jokes they told me, I never reacted right to them. I was either too defensive, or too dense.

So they left me alone, because I was broken and strange, branded with a strange personality they were afraid to understand.

So I wrote.

I penned every word I should have said and every action I should have done. I weave them into my stories, in hopes that it will tell them

I'm not strange.

I'm not different.

I'm not broken.

Lunar Phrases

The Moon and its Sky | #champion

She wanted the moon.

So he took it down for her.

He handed her the moon.

He gave her the moon anyway.

Local Tongue

Origins of the Singaporean Slang

As a country of diversity, we have always been mocked for our language. Others mocked us for it, claiming it was stupid, and quite informal. Yet, it isn't difficult not to judge it. If you ever heard the way we spoke, most of us tend to size each other's accents up, yet try desparately to keep in touch with Singlish.

Born and raised with the Singaporean culture, most of us are forced to please both eastern and western cultures of the world. As a chinese, it's frankly hard not to notice how the tourists from China scorn at us.

"These people are Chinese, yet they only know English." They would say. Many of them even gave it a name : 香蕉人*, which essentially compares us to (of all things) a banana. Said to be yellow skinned on the outside, but white on the inside, representing how we never understand and appreciate our millenia worth of Chinese culture.

To Singaporeans out...

Six-Word Story

The 13th murder of Anxiety

The chaotic order killed her yesterday.

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

The Report

To all, I shall first address the probability that I have sent this with false coordinates. I sincerely apologize on my part, for my foolish mistake, of which, will never happen again. Therefore, I extend my greetings to any foreign recipient. If you would kindly dispose of this report or simply ignore it, your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

This leads me to my second matter. As A9005, I report my findings of a boy and a girl. Located in a great void. As for now, they have yet to discover the escape route. Neither are they in a rush to do so. I previously mentioned in my report that the girl had lost her memory over time. Thankfully, the boy never gave up on her. If he did, I would have intervened, though I do understand that I would lose my part-time job. Without further ado, I dedicate to you my findings for the fifth week.

She sat down,...