Emzie

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I like bagels, books and dogs.

Play your Part #GOrwell2

We listened to the crackling radio in the small classroom. 
“You can imagine what a bitter blow it is to me that all my long struggle to win peace has failed.”
I stared at my bitten nails, trying to hide my face with my hair. 
“I know that you will all play your part with calmness and courage.”
Children were excited, making exclamations. 
“A war!”
“With real soldiers!”
“And planes!”
Through my curls I caught sight of Miss Coleman’s face. Unlike the others, she looked afraid. A small tear ran down her smooth face, and splashed onto the matte desk.

Walking home, my lunchbox bumped against my side as I ran to catch up with the others. The boys had stretched out their arms and were making the noises of airplanes, yelling at the top of their voices. 
I wondered if we would see the outline of planes against the clear blue sky.
Or smoke among the forests.
This war....

Novel Writing Competition 2019

Sterling Silver

1
I am late.
Bombs were exploding near me. Their blasts shoving me in different directions, while I tried to avoid the smoke and the debris and the yelling. 
Craters peppered the street, screaming to me that I wasn't safe. 
The clouds of smoke mixed with the wind and choked me. I could hardly breathe. 
I had to get home.
Vera would be sick with worry. She was only sixteen; I was her responsibility. Nancy would be crying. 
When Thomas went to help put out the fires from the explosions on the docks in September, he’d told me that the grain from the warehouses melted and that the grain stuck to their boots like treacle. They could barely walk, he’d said. I’d laughed and wished I’d been there, because to me, the bombs had seemed so distant, so unimportant back then. 
But I was stupid to think that way.
Another bomb landed nearby, and I instinctively dropped to the...

Novel Writing Competition 2019

Sterling Silver

1
Bombs, dropping.
Whistling past me onto houses, which exploded. 
Smoke, mixing with the cold wind and choking me as I ran along the icy pavement. 
I had to get home, I had to get home. 
Vera would be sick with worry. She was only sixteen, and I was her responsibility. Nancy would be crying. 
But I was stupid to think that way.
Another bomb landed nearby, and I instinctively dropped to the floor and lay there as windows shattered from a nearby house. I could feel tiny shards of glass falling onto me, and into my...

Congratulations, the place is yours

Congratulations, the place is yours.
Every plastic bag, drifting through the breeze,
abandoned.
Every crisp packet, dropped carelessly,
neglected.
Every soupy sea, choked with plastic bottles,
foaming.
Every soda bottle, peppering the beach,
stranded.
Every animal, who mistakes your rubbish for
food.
Congratulations, the place is yours. 

Monster's innacuracy™ #disneymashup

My first night at the castle was so difficult. I kept thinking of Father, and it made tears slide down my face.
"Now, now, dear," said Madame De Gardarobe in a quiet tone. I jumped. 
I still hadn't got used to the fact that there was a talking wardrobe in my bedroom yet. 
"I miss home," I whispered. 
"Of course you do, Belle, but I have such a beautiful gown for you to wear tomorrow that you'll forget all your troubles!" 
"I suppose," I said. 
When she began to snore I felt as if I could cry to my heart's content. And then one of her doors opened. 
I sat up abruptly, puzzled. 
"Oh," a woolly voice said. "Sorry. Wrong door. My bad."
He looked a little like The Beast, really. Only he was completely blue and covered with purple spots.
"What the...!" Madame De Gardarobe yelled, awaking with a snort. 
"I'm really sorry. Wrong movie. I'm, um, Sullivan, and...

Congratulations, the place is yours

Congratulations, the place is yours.
abandoned.
Every crisp packet, dropped carelessly,
neglected.
foaming.
Every single soda bottle, peppering the beach,
stranded.
food.
Congratulations, the place is yours. 

Monster's innacuracy™ #disneymashup

"I miss home," I whispered. 
"I suppose," I said. 
I sat up abruptly, puzzled. 
"I'm really sorry. Wrong movie. My name's James P...

My Doggo (Furry friends writing contest)

She is curled at my feet, her little nose quivering and twitching as she dreams.
Okay. So I have a dog.
Her name is Maisie and she is the sweetest, funniest, smartest (actually that is debatable) and most caring (yes she is) dog in the world. 
She is a poodle and Shih Tzu cross, which people call either A Shih Poo, or a Shoodle. I call her a Shih Poo. She has black fur, her paws are tan coloured, and she has a tan moustache and tan eyebrows. She is fluffy dog which means she gets smelly sometimes but as if I care :D
Her eyes are dark brown and really sparkle, and her ears are adorable and really flappy (if that makes sense). She runs very fast for her breed, maybe because she has a lot of poodle in her. When we got her we were actually looking for a boy, and we were going to see her brother....

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

The Famous Five

Have you ever read those books?
They were written by Enid Blyton.

There were five of us.
Me.
My brother.
My two cousins.
A hamster.

I was Anne, probably because I was the youngest girl. I was the most anxious one too. I still am. 
My brother was Julian, because he was the eldest. And he was great at being the eldest. 
My cousin was George, because she was the eldest girl. And George was her favourite character. 
And my other cousin was Dick, because he was the youngest boy, a year younger than me.
At that time, the hamster was Timmy, because none of us had a dog, so we had to use our imagination.
Although we often changed the Timmy role. Once it was my cousin's teddy or something. 

Whenever I was worried, George always told be not to be and held my hand. Yes, I was a true Anne. George and I talked constantly and steadily, deep...

The Famous Five

Have you ever read those books?
They were written by Enid Blyton.

There were five of us.
Me.
My brother.
My two cousins.
A hamster.

My brother was Julian, because he was the oldest. And he was great at being the oldest.
My cousin was George, because she was the oldest girl. And George was her favourite character. 
At that time, the hamster was Timmy, because none of us had a dog at that time, so we had to use our imagination.

Whenever I was worried, George always told be not to be and held my hand. Yes, I was a true Anne. George and I talked deep...

The hostess #Paganini'sviolin

On a starlit night a young girl sits at her window, honey brown hair cascading down her shoulders, wearing a gown with sparkling tulle. Tonight this marquess hosts her ball. The muffled music reaches her ears as she fastens a silver hair clip in her hair and stands, her heart thumping loudly.  
She answers the door at the first knock, to her brother, who smiles at her, his eyes glimmering, reflecting the golden lights from the candles that line the hallway.
“May I have the first dance, marquess?”
“You may.”
Arm in arm they step through the hallway towards the great oak doors, laced with silver. 
Behind these doors are the ballroom.
The marquess takes a sharp inhale, and as two smart footmen open the great doors, she exhales, and squeezes her brother’s hand. 
The walls are like liquid gold, chandeliers dripping from the ceiling and painting the floor with tiny rainbows, then are instantly stood upon with high...

The hostess #Paganini'sviolin

“May I have the first dance, marquess?”
“You may.”
Behind these doors are the ballroom.
The walls are like liquid gold, chandeliers dripping from the ceiling and painting the floor with tiny rainbows, then are instantly stood upon with high heeled...

The theft #highfunctioningsociopath

I made my way up Bakers Street, autumn leaves frisking up the pavements, the sky charcoal grey. 
I buttoned up my coat and forced myself onwards. Holmes had invited me to supper and I was not going to miss the opportunity. He had been very busy, and our old meetings had come to an end for the present.
“Ah, Watson.” Holmes looked up from the fire that crackled in the grate, giving off a welcome warmth as I opened his door.
His pipe was lying on the table. It was clear to me that he had not had any cases that day that required his concentration.
“How are you, my dear friend?” I asked, shaking his hand warmly.
“Fine. I have solved a few little cases but I am not quite content. Have you read the papers recently?”
“I have indeed. Is it the bank? The one that has been robbed?”
“You are correct. I would like to solve this....

Hawaii, here we come

People do not consider our feelings. 
They do not think that we feel like they feel.
They don’t care what happens to us. We must only serve our purpose.
I get a lot of time to think. I am taken everywhere. My wheels are constantly turning. I am always moving, always, always.
My friends are the same; tossed and dropped as if we don’t matter. We can’t explain this. We can’t talk. 
If we could talk, I am sure that many of us would have a lot to say. We are all unique - different styles and colours and designs. Yet we all agree that we should speak up. And the thing is, we can’t.
I am wheeling across the ground again, as usual. The airport stands in front of me, teaming with people, who are standing around, waiting, checking for their flights. There is an excited buzz of anticipation in the air, as people get into the airport and...

Hawaii, here we come

People do not consider our feelings.

One-Liner

Moments

All of us have wanted to remember a moment, but we eventually forget that moment and we're not even sad; because we won't even remember having it.

Do you have any ideas on a name for this?

“Presenting her majesty, princess Maia.”
Maia smiled vaguely at her guests from the gold and silver balcony, her eyes flicking from one of the castle staff to another. They were observing her every move, she realised. Maybe they knew what she was going to do tonight. She sincerely hoped not. They couldn’t know. 
Clapping rippled through the crowds of people dressed in ball gowns below her. The colours were bright, and they almost blinded Maia as she looked at them. Through her blurred vision she caught sight of one of the footmen staring at her.
Whatever happened, she had to make sure that they didn’t see her leave the castle. They didn’t understand. They would only understand when she proved her aunt and uncle’s innocence. And she had to do that first. 
She nodded to a young servant who was standing beside her. 
“I shall go down to meet my guests, now.”
The young girl curtsied.
“Yes, your highness.”
“Alone.” ...

The young girl curtsied.
“Yes, your highness.”
“Alone.” ...

Autumn #sixlittlestories

Leaves are golden- autumn is here.

Rain falls quietly against my window

I cradle my tea, steam curling.

My eyes sparkle at autumn skies.

I wrap myself in my blanket.

I finish my book, tears falling.

A sample from my novel! Please review!!

With one last effort she punched at the glass, and it shattered at contact, glass falling to the floor and out of the window like tiny crystals. Ryn tried to ignore the pain in her fists as she swung her legs out of the window.
She would have to jump.
She couldn’t see Ashor anymore, and not many of the Sorens were there. They were staring at the library, their mouths parted, as if unsure of what to do. 
They couldn’t see her. 
Ryn jumped, closing her eyes, and fell to the floor, rolling over and over, breathing in the cold, clear air of the night. She almost wanted to stay lying on the ground, gulping the chilly air, but she heard a shuffle behind her.
“What was that?” she heard a Soren yell over the roar of the fire.
“Someone there,” another said, and she heard them coming closer to where she was. 
She had to run away, with...

Child Narrator

Not understanding

My fingers are sticky with orange juice. 
Mother and father are talking in the other room. Hushed voices.
They don't want me to hear. That's fine. I wouldn't understand anyway.

Kitty is sleeping on the floor. She doesn't care that she can't hear what they're saying. But her ears twitch. Maybe her hearing is better than mine. 
Do my ears twitch when I'm listening? I don't think so. I'll have to ask Father.

As I sit waiting for them, I begin to wonder what they're talking about. Maybe they are talking about last night, when the explosions came and that loud droning sound, and when I looked out of my window I had seen planes. I liked planes, but Mother came running into my bedroom and picked me up and together we all ran to the underground station. I cried, because we had forgotten kitty.

The underground had been hot and stuffy and I kept hearing boom, crash, bang, crash...

Escaping winter #animind

I dip my beak into the crystal smooth water, the sun hot on my feathers.
Being warm is mostly comforting. 
Being cold is not.
I raise my head at the bright blue sky, so clear and beautiful. The sun is a blinding piece of gold above.
But something just isn't right. Something whispers to me through the golden grass.
Winter will be here soon.
I jerk my head in the direction of my flock. They have spread their wings by the waters edge, basking in the sun. 
we can't be like this forever. 
soon, winter will come and with it the frost that we fear.
The snow, the ice, the storms. 
I look up to the sky once more, turning dusky blue now as evening falls.
Everything is beautiful and a silvery breeze embraces us. 
The water ripples like liquid gold as the sun dips below the horizon.
The night will be warm.
I wonder how many more warm nights...

Escaping winter #animind

I dipped my beak into the crystal smooth water, the sun hot on my feathers.
Being warm is mostly comforting. 
Being cold is not.
Winter will be here soon.
we can't be like this forever. 
The snow, the ice, the storms. 
The night will be warm.
I wonder how many more warm nights...

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

What I Saw Through The Sea Spray

1947
The deck was glimmering with puddles from the endless sea spray hurling against the ship.
"Come," Mother whispered, "and see England."
She led me out onto the chilly deck, both of us shivering.
This was nothing like India. This was cold. Icy cold.
"I want to go home," I said.
"I know, dear, but this is our home now."
Sea spray blocked our view for a moment. Then I saw it.
I had always read about England.
Cold, small, and thousands of miles away. 
We were actually there.
India and its beautiful warmth seemed so long ago.

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

What I Saw Through The Sea Spray

1947
The deck was glimmering with puddles from the endless sea spray hurling against the boat. 
Mother led me out onto the chilly deck, both of us shivering. This was nothing like India. This was cold.
"I want to go home," I said.
I had always read about England in books. Cold, small, and thousands of miles away. Now we were really here. 

Genre Bender

A few columns from the Telegraph, 2119

TARTAN IS THE NEW CLOTHING CRAZE
Tartan is now back on the Pinterest boards, after the previous craze of top hats. Tartan is now being sold in a range of different colours, from the classic red and blue and green, to thousands of neon shades and various other colours. H&M have released the new "tartan prom delight" which many celebrities have worn to events. 

SEA TURTLE REMEMBRANCE 
The last sea turtle on Earth, who we fondly knew as Gary, died last week and a ceremony was held this morning to remember him. Speeches were given on the theme of turtles, the first being a talk about our failings to look after turtles, to the last talk from one of Gary's carers who tearfully told us about his habits and loves. 

FARMS IN THE HOUSE AND ENERGY DRINK BAN
As the population is speedily growing, kitchen farms are getting extremely popular. Kitchen farms are a relatively new innovation which allows people...

A Trillion Trees

Instead

I used to lay back on the dirt ground 
and stare at my ceiling. My green leaf ceiling.
Bark trunks rising like pillars. 
My life was a blur of gold and green and brown
and small patches of blue sky.
I was safe under my trees. Their shade
cooling me, calming me. 
Birds sang for me like my own orchestra,
I felt like royalty, being there with my trees.
Sometimes I would climb them, edging myself
up the rough bark and reach the top, seeing
the foliage spread out all around me.
They were there one day. Then they
were gone the next. The green ceiling.
All gone. Tree trunks felled. Everything different.
Suddenly I realised they weren't my trees.
They had just been themselves, but I had loved them. 
And they were gone. 
As if those trees hadn't existed. The harsh sun.
Instead.

Genre Bender

A few columns from the Telegraph, 2119

TARTAN IS THE NEW CLOTHING CRAZE

SEA TURTLE REMEMBRANCE 

FARMS IN THE HOUSE AND ENERGY DRINK BAN