Fenley Jones

Novel Writing Competition 2019

​Auntie Ellen's Fortune

Lex Flores looked at his small office and glass desk in the center, feeling nervous and anxious. He looked over at the wall of windows and examined his mountainous surroundings. He had always loved cold Winter Haven with its beautiful snowy surroundings. It was the place he grew up and the place that all of his family lived. But since the death of his Auntie Ellen's, his thoughts and feelings had changed. 
    Then out the window, he saw someone in the distance. It was the figure of Alex Norris. Alex used to be a friendly man who his Aunt chose to manage her fortune when she died. But ever since she died, Alex refused to pay him and his relatives the 986,300 dollars they all were entitled to. Lex had unofficially stepped up to manage Alex giving the family members their money. This was because Alex kept coming back to the family members with ‘counter-offers’, leaving the family unhappy and...

Album Review Competition 2019

'Labrinth, Sia, and Diplo Present... LSD’

The collaboration between multiple artists that have already released albums that have topped the charts is usual. However, this collaboration is one of the few, featuring artists Labyrinth, Sia, and Diplo. This album has upbeat rhythms and has a peppy vibe. If I had had to put this album in a genre it would have to be ‘digital gospel pop’ because of the digital equipment noises in the background of some of the songs and the way they chop up Sia's vocals, but still, I have to keep in mind this is a pop album. 

This album contains 10 songs in total and is the debut album of the group. The first song on this album is named “Welcome to the Wonderful World of”(1) [Welcome to the Wonderful World of (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)], and is supposed to introduce the group to the world (even though they’re ‘out of this world’ “I’m here on venus”)....

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

Fake Foliage

We were sitting on the little patio of the 4 house condominium, looking at the community park over across the small yard, the extra-wide neighborhood road, the 9 space parking lot, and the neighborhood pool. I always wondered why they built all the condominiums facing North-East and not North. (Even the ancient Egyptians could do better than that.) 

My grandmother and I were sitting on one of the two outdoor chairs with footrests that come out from underneath the seat. Next to us sat the old metal table and two rocking chairs as well as two other chairs that are so small you can barely sit on them. As usual, the cushions were taken off the footrests and used as a pillow on the back of the chairs so both chairs looked like a sandwich with the top flipped up. Then she put her legs up on the footrest so the back of her legs touched the main part of...

Fake Foliage