harshitarrao

Reading is believing, writing is creating.

I live through the characters I create with ink and paper, for they are far better people than I could ever be.

Friendship Narrative Competition 2016

The Smoke after the Fire

"May I go to the bathroom?" she asked her teacher, hoping no one else had heard her voice crack slightly. Her teacher nodded at her, and she walked out as quickly as she could without running, feeling thirty-two pairs of eyes on her. As soon as she was out the door, she managed to run to the end of the corridor before she collapsed, the sobs she'd been holding in bursting out all at once. She sat on the empty steps looking onto the deserted parking lot, contemplating what she had done to deserve her life. 

A year ago, she would never had expected this situation. A year ago, she wouldn't be sitting alone. Her best friend would have been by her side instantly, holding her in his warm arms, giving her the strength to hold on. Then a memory came flooding into her head, the reason she was alone. It was so stupid to think about the fact that...

Friendship Narrative Competition 2016

The Smoke after the Fire

Suddenly, she felt like someone was watching her. Turning around, she saw a guy standing there behind her in silence. "Do you mind if I sit with you?" he asked, gesturing to the stair next to her. She shrugged, relived that he hadn't asked if she was okay or what had happened. He sat himself down beside her, his warm hand brushing against her...

0-9

The 10 Elements of Life

0 is for unity, for it is a great boost to others. As the world discounts your value, little do they realize that you're what gives most of them life. Unity is important, for it boosts and highlights the best of everyone, and that, in the end, is what matters to the world. Frankly, the world little knows or cares about the darkness in your life. The brightness emanating from unity is what shines upon them, proud, bold and glorious. 

1 is for life, for it is yours to treasure and discover. Treat it well, take risks, be young, brave and boastful, because once it's gone, it's gone. No matter who else tries to steal it from you, you have got to protect your life, because in the end, it is the only one you have, and it'll be gone in a flash. 

2 is for parents, the life-givers and bringers of hope. The cushions when you fall, and the...

All in a Name

What's In a Name?

Not many people would disagree Shakespeare when he says, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet," but I like to put it differently. If I blindfolded you, gave you a rose and called it a sunflower, would you immediately put your nose to it and smell it? Would you be careful of thorns? So, in response to the great playwrite's quote in Romeo and Juliet, it's all in a name.

We have, from even before we were born, been conditioned to name everything we see, hear and feel. So, it isn't that different when it comes to names of people. My name is Harshita, it means 'full of happiness' in Sanskrit, an Indian language that most names are derived from. I like to think that's what made me the 'little bundle of joy' as my dad refers to me. 

Funny story. I've had someone named after me, because they...

Friendship Tweet

The Last Piece Of The Puzzle

You're born with everything you need
In a cute little human bundle
All but the friendship piece
The last piece of the puzzle.

Six-Word Memoir

My Escape

When all seems lost, I read.

Pitter Patter

The cool wind blows around
Laden with memories and thoughts profound
And the pitter patter of the rain
Washes away all the pain

The loud chatter of the kids below
And the sweet smell of the cookie dough
Listening to the pitter patter of the rain
As I write to keep from going insane

As I sit on the seventh floor balcony
The smell of the new books wafts over to me
Watching the pitter patter of the rain
Bringing a wave of peace again

A History of Everything, Including You

Second Thought

Some like to say the world popped into existance all at once, but I say different. The world came into being just like you would fall asleep, slowly at first, then all at once.Soon, in a blink of an eye,the world was up and running, like a jump start to a car that finally stops humming.We were much too smart, to stay animals forever, we evolved pretty quickly, we became pretty clever.Thirteen billion and some years later, I was pushed into being, on the Christmas Eve of a special year, with perfect sight and hearing. In a flash the first fifteen years were gone, I've been learning quickly, and I'm nowhere close to done. Unlike those before me, apples aren't falling, I am no genius, I'm still looking for my calling. I hope to honor those before me, the great eras and civilizations, Greek, Roman and Indus Valley, among the greatest generations. I hope to leave a mark upon the world, a splash of...