Anushka Mehrotra

Novel Writing Competition 2019

Trust Me, I Am Lying

It was seventeen minutes past one when I received the text message.
‘Come to the terrace,’ it said.
Piyush, my son, had invited me for dinner at nine to his hostel room. His promises to come in fifteen minutes had added up to four hours. Still, I could wait for him for hours on end. He was all I had after my husband, Dev had left us six months ago.
I reached the top in no time. Despite the pitch darkness of the terrace, I could make out the silhouette of a man. I took a step forward and my eyes met his. They were grey in color. He didn’t look familiar, but then no one else did.
Suddenly, he charged to the ledge, where the sky met the cement. He hesitated for a moment and then fell. I blinked at the empty space where he had been standing a second ago. Slowly, I unfroze.
I peered down the ledge....

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Oh My God

In the sacred temple, the head priest held an enormous container, filled to the brim with milk.
‘The lord teaches us to be compassionate towards our fellow beings.’ He poured the milk over the revered idol. Fifty devotees dutifully followed him.
From a window, two decrepitly clothed boys crept inside the temple. Their bare-bones were protruding like the remains of a skeleton. They watched the milk gush down the sewer, with pangs of animalistic hunger in their listless eyes. 
‘Watchman, throw them out!’ the priest barked.  
He then turned to his devotees and smiled. ‘Now, where were we?’

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Oh My God

In the sacred temple, the head priest held an enormous container, filled to the brim, with milk.
‘The lord teaches us to be compassionate. We must be kind towards our fellow humans.’ The priest poured the milk over a deity. Fifty devotees followed him.
From a window, two barely clothed boys slid inside the temple. They looked pitifully thin, and their eyes were blazing with an animalistic hunger. Their gazes were glued to the milk flowing into the sewer.
‘Watchman, throw them out!’ the priest ordered.  
He turned to his devotees and smiled transcidently. ‘Now, where were we?’

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Oh My God

The baby giggled happily, trying to draw his mother’s attention to himself. However, it did little good. His mother’s gaze was glued to the strange-looking device with a screen. He glanced outside the window and saw a pigeon’s nest. A pigeon was slowly emerging from a newly hatched egg. It was as ugly as a pigeon could ever be, and yet, the mother pigeon was showering the baby with love and attention.
Somewhere beyond the clouds, Charles Darwin sighed. ‘I didn’t intend evolution to go this way.’
‘Me neither,’ God murmured.