ava09

16, She/Her, Slytherin, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Marvel, Umbrella Academy, Classic Novels, Journels, Barns and Noble, Soccer, the Premier League, Manchester United, USWNT, Taylor Swift, BTS, Lord of the Rings, Law, Violin, Food

Hi! I'm an aspiring author. I love life, reading and writing, and I'm so happy I have a place to release my creativity. :)
"Live. Laugh. Love."
"Don't conform to who they want you to be. Be instead who you want yourself to be."
"Be happy."
"Smile."
"Silent and listen are spelled with the same letters."
"Life isn't easy. It's not supposed to be. Deal with it. :)"
"We are each the protagonist of our own story which we also get to write."

Silence

Beep. Beep. Beep.
Beep. Beep.
Beep.
Silence.

*five months before*

“You’re daughter has stage four lung cancer. She was five months to live.”
Ana didn’t fully comprehend for a couple weeks what that really meant.
She was going to die. And no in decades. Not in years. Months. 5 months to live. 5. Months. Left.
The time was looming. Always there. A ticking clock. An hourglass. The sand constantly falling. 
Drip. Drip. Drip.
The rain fell from the leaves in the tree outside her window.
She had 4 ½ months left to live.

...

Late

As she lay there, tubes and wires protruding from all parts of her body, her heart rate monitor beeping along in the background, she knew she was going to die. It was only a matter of time before the cancer claimed her.
Only a matter of time.

“Visit me?” She texted him, the question mark sticking out like a sore thumb on the screen. So. Formal. She quickly put her phone away, hiding it under a tissue box on her hospital bedside table so she wouldn’t see the response; so she couldn't worry about what he might say.
Picking up a book, she thumbed through the pages mindlessly, trying to get her mind off the phone. Eventually, she sank into the pages and the story, reading “Kira-Kira” on repeat.

Her mom came back from the cafeteria, looking tired and worn out. But her mom always looked tired and worn these days.
“Hey mom,” she said. The tears started to creep...

Homeless for the Holidays

"Mommy, I'm cold," Mia shivers against me.
    "Come closer, sweetie," I pull my daughter into my arms, wrapping the blankets even tighter around the two of us. We both have all of our clothes on, but Chicago gets cold in the winter, and under the overpass the concrete is freezing. But it's better then being completely exposed to the cold.
    BEEPP!! BEEP BEEP!!
    Safe in their cars, on their way home at this time of day, all the people drove by, honking their way through traffic.
    "It's loud, Mommy," Lukas mumbles, burying his head into the blankets.
    "I know, honey, I know. Try and get some sleep, then you won't have to hear the noise no more."
    "But Mama, I'm hungry," Mia whines.
    "I'm sorry, baby, I don't have anymore food. Did you eat the rest of the bar you had for lunch?"
 ...

A Fictional Landscape

Hinswood, Illinois (a fictional Chicago suburb)

What’s the population?
    Around 20,000 people

What kind of trees grow here?
    It's a Chicago suburb, so oak, maple, evergreen, etc.

What do people who live here do for a living?
    There are lot's who work in the city because the railroad runs straight through it, but it's a affluent town so a lot of people also work from home or own companies.

What does a teenager living here dream of?
    Most dream of making a lot of money, and everyone strives to be the best. A lot of people want to leave to travel or live abroad or move elsewhere, but a lot of people also end up staying, and it's not surprising considering many families have lied here for generations.

What sounds drift in through the open window as your main character is falling asleep?
Birds and crickets if it's summer, cars every so often as they rush by on...

Your View

Mis Opiniones

1. Soccer is most definitely more than just a sport.
  2. Books are better than their movies.
  3. Blue is the best color (and blue M&M's taste better than the other ones).
  4. It is totally acceptable to play with LEGO's even if you're not a (young) kid anymore.
  5. Running is a hard sport but it's worth it.
  6. London is my true home.
  7. Thunderstorms are beautiful.
  8. Mandarin is so so so so hard to learn.
  9. 9 is the best number.
  10. "The Princess Bride" is the best movie to watch when you're sick.

YOU in threes

Me in Threes (hehehe)

1. Three quirks or idiosyncrasies.
    1. I love writing letters to people (and sometimes actually sending them).
    2. I've been told I use lots of big words too often when I talk.
    3. I talk really fast.
  2. Three communities to which you belong (these can be unusual).
    1. Soccer
    2. First-generation American (I'm 50% Romanian)
    3. Caucasian with naturally curly hair (my hair is REALLY curly)
  3. Three adjectives your peers would use to describe you.
    1. Smart
    2. Funny
    3. Kind
  4. Three adjectives your family would use.
    1. Intelligent
    2. Funny
    3. Ambitious
  5. Three adjectives you would use.
    1. Intelligent
    2. Funny
    3. Loyal
  6. Three things about you that very few people know.
    1. I'm learning Mandarin.
    2. I listen to A LOT of music and a lot of different genres of music (anything from The Lumineers to BTS to Taylor Swift to The Beetles to Pearl Jam).
    3. I have scoliosis so I had to wear a back brace for 7th and 8th grade for as much of 24/7/365 that I could because my curve was so bad if...

#Q&AContest

1. What's your favorite color?
  2. What would the title of your autobiography be? Why?
  3. What's your favorite thing about yourself? Why?
  4. What's the first thing you notice about someone when you meet them?
  5. What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
  6. What would be said in your obituary if you died tomorrow? Is this the same or different from what you would want to be said? (Sorry that's kinda morbid but it can be kind of interesting to think about.)
  7. What scares you the most?
  8. Mornings or evenings?
  9. What is one good thing that happened to you today?
  10. Can you stay friends with an ex?
  11. Do you prefer classic novels or newer books or both? Explain.
  12. Do you listen to music or anything while you write? If so, what kind of stuff do you listen to?
  13. What's your favorite holiday? Why?
  14. What's your favorite number?
  15. If you could live any other place in the world where would you chose...

My December Competition 2019

Happy Birthday To Me

It's hard to have a December birthday. Ask anyone who does, and they'll agree. Sandwiched between three of the biggest holidays of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's), it's so, so easy to get lost. I know I feel lost sometimes.
    My birthday is December 9th, and I turn 16 this year. It's supposed to be a big deal, a huge birthday. My Sweet Sixteen. Driver's Licence time! And it will be, only I'm not celebrating until after winter break this year because of finals and the holidays, and I'm not going to get my driver's license because I haven't had the time to take Drivers Ed yet. And I'm okay with that. But sometimes it's hard to be grateful for being born in this month. December. So much is going on; it's always about moving on to the next thing and the next and the next. It's easy to forget the big things, let...

My December Competition 2019

Happy Birthday To Me

My birthday is December 9th, and I turn 16 this year. It's supposed to be a big deal, a huge birthday. My Sweet Sixteen. And it will be, only I'm not celebrating until after winter break because of finals an the holidays, and I'm not going to get my driver's license because I haven't had the time to take drivers ed yet. And I'm okay with that. But sometimes it's hard to be grateful for being born in this month. December. So much is going on, it's on to the next thing and the next and the next. It's easy to forget the big things, let alone the little things that get lost along...

Late

Only a matter of time.

Late

Only a matter of time.

Picking up a book, she thumbed through the pages mindlessly, trying to get her mind off the phone. Eventually, she sank into the pages and the story, reading “Kira Kira” on repeat.

“Hey mom,” she said. The tears started to...

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

Say Something

A lot of people find it hard to speak up. To say what they believe in, to stand up for what's right, to apologize or to compliment. It's hard to put yourself out there, and to not know what the outcome will be. Then again, you all have done it, by writing something, anything, here on this site. You took a stand and put yourself out there. You all are very courageous.

Courage is different from bravery. Bravery is being able to face an imminent obstacle without feeling any fear. It's doing something that could be dangerous but you as the person doing it are not afraid. Courage is taking something you're terrified of and doing it anyway. Courage is helping others. Courage is taking that first step up those stairs. Courage is doing something you might not want to do because you know you should.

I am a very hypocritical person. I'll apologize for everything, especially things that don't...

Say Something

A lot of people find it hard to speak up. To say what they believe in, stand up for what's right, to apologize or to compliment. It's hard to put yourself out there, and to not know what the outcome will be. Then again, you all have done it, by writing something, anything, here on this site. You took a stand and put yourself out there. You all are very courageous.

Courage is different from bravery. Bravery is reckless and thoughtless. Courage is taking something you're terrified of and doing it anyway. Courage is helping others. Courage is taking that first step up those stairs. Courage is doing something you might not want to because you know you should.

I am a very hypocritical person. I will simultaneously be the most apologetic person ever and also the person who blames everyone but themselves for some silly little thing. Because of this, I often find myself stuck in between the two....

Say Something

What Once Was Ours

Dear Ex-Best Friend,

I still remember the first time I saw you. You were in my language arts class in 6th grade. I was a quiet, mouse of a girl back then. You were too. I didn't have any friends in that class, so I sat alone reading. You sat quietly in your seat. We didn't talk.

By seventh grade, our friend groups collided, and we had language arts and advisory together. Every day, we would talk about books or boys or life and we got closer and closer. You were there for me when I had to wear a back brace to school for my scoliosis for two years. You helped me when my mom got diagnosed with cancer. You were there for all the victories, all the defeats and everything in between. 

I was there for you, too. When you said yes to a guy you probably shouldn't have and "dated" him for two days, or when you...

Universal Knowledge

Pain

Your stomach turns over and over as you shake and shudder while thousands of tears drip down your cheeks and the betrayal of the one you loved most slashes through your body as you slowly die by a thousand cuts.

One-Liner

Our World

Billions of lights across the globe, blinking on and off; shining brightly only to flicker and die when they run out of light to give.

Imagine

Imagine how you feel about your best friend. Your favorite person. The one you tell anything and everything to, and they don't judge you. The one you stay up late talking to, go on bike rides ad picnics with. The one who's family knows you so well you were gonna go up to their lake house with them next summer. That friend who cares about you and who you care about more than anything. You love them. They love you.

Now imagine this person, have their image in your head, imagine that person died. They're gone. You won't ever see them smile or get to make them laugh again. They won't come to your house with no explanation just to hang out. They won't be there when you need someone who understands you to talk to, and they won't be there to tell you all the things only you would understand about them. They'll never text you again or call...

Broken by a Friend

She laughs, but not because of you.
She smiles, but not at you.
Her gaze slips right by you.

You're not even important enough to recognize anymore.

You don't exist to her.

You could die and she wouldn't care.
And it's that, more than anything, that hurts the most.

How does one go from everything to nothing? Promises to lies? Friendship to hatred?

How did she forget it all that easily?
I wish I knew. 
I wish I could.

I always trust the wrong people.
I love so much but I'm scared to let it show like I used to.
Maybe they can't and won't break me if that don't know there's anything to break.
Maybe I can save myself from "next time."
But I care too much for people who don't care enough about me and cast aside the one's who do.

Commitment is scary.
I can't commit to something big if I never have the opportunity. If it's...

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

How Many Times?

"Breaking News: 22 killed in mass shooting at Hinswood High School this morning. Dozens more injured."

~1 week later~

A girl huddled in a cemetery; 12 red roses clutched in her hands. Their thorns pierced her palms, but she didn't notice.

Tears cascaded down her face; her shoulders shaking. She knelt by a gravestone, limply letting the flowers fall.

The stone read: 

"Luke G. McKinley
                   Loved
February 23, 2004 - March 17, 2022"

Her tears said I love you, I miss you over and over as they hit the ground.

"You saved me," she whispered. "You saved my life."

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

How Many Times?

~1 week later~

A girl stood in a cemetery; 12 red roses clutched in her hands. The thorns cut deep into her palms, but she didn't notice.

Tears slid down her face as she knelt by a gravestone and began laying the flowers down.

The stone read: 

"Luke G. McKinley
February 23, 2004 - March 17, 2022"

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

How Many Times?

"Breaking News: 22 killed in mass shooting at Hinswood High School this morning; dozens more are injured."

A girl stood; 12 red roses clutched between her hands, the thorns cutting deep into them. She didn't notice.

Tears fell steadily from her face as she knelt by the gravestone and began to lay the flowers down.

The stone read: 

"Luke G. McKinley
February 23, 2004 - March 17, 2022"

Her tears said "I love you, I miss you" over and over as they hit the already damp earth in the cemetery.

"You saved me," she whispered, "you saved my life."

Song Writing Competition 2019

Rewind

Verse One
Eighth grade and we were closer then ever before
It didn't matter that we didn't have any classes together
By the end of the year we were practically inseparable
And I didn't think anything could be better then this

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Two
Summer before the start of freshmen year
Swinging in your portable hammock as we picnicked at the park
Everything was perfect as can be
We were closer than sisters you and me

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Three
Then we went and started high school
I met you in the halls just to talk 'cuz I had no classes with you ...

Song Writing Competition 2019

Rewind

Verse One

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Two
Picnics, biking, and writing letters
Everything was perfect as can be
We were closer than sisters you and me

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Three
Then we went and started high school
Distraught; I had no classes with you
But Best Friends, they always make it through
We said the bond between us wouldn't...

A Signature Capability

The Love They'd Always Had

He flourished on a signature capability, one that made her ripple with untamed, raw want every time she saw him. One that made her all his, and no one else's.

One that made her love him.

Once upon a time there was a girl named Claire who loved a boy named Francis.

Claire fell deeply in love with Francis. Leaving her fiance, Maxwell, she married her old crush and lived with him in his mansion, forever his and his alone.

Once upon a time there was a banker named Jake who gave part of his paycheck to the bank account of a man named Francis every week until he died in a tragic medical emergency and they couldn't save him.

Jake deposited 25% of his paycheck after taxes into Francis's bank account until the ripe old age of 37 when he died from a sudden heart attack. They paramedics couldn't revive him, and he was pronounced dead on arrival at...

Song Writing Competition 2019

Rewind

Verse One

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Two
Picnics, biking, and writing letters
Everything was perfect as can be
We were closer than sisters you and me

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Three
Then we went and started high school
Distraught; I had no classes with you
We said the bond between us wouldn't...