ava09

16|She/Her|Slytherin & Harry Potter|Star Wars|Marvel|Lord of the Rings|Percy Jackson|Umbrella Academy|Classic Novels|Journals|Barns and Noble|Soccer: The Premier League, Manchester United, USWNT|Taylor Swift|BTS|Law|Violin|Food|Hopeless Romantic

Hi! I'm an aspiring author. I love life, reading and writing, and I'm so happy I have a place to just write. :)
"Live. Laugh. Love."
"Don't conform to who they want you to be. Be instead who you want yourself to be."
"Be happy."
"Smile."
"Silent and listen are spelled with the same letters."
"Life isn't easy. It's not supposed to be. Deal with it. :)"
"We are each the protagonist of our own story which we also get to write."

Letter Writing Competition 2020

goodbye (for now) || REVIEW PLEASE! :)

Monday, July 6th, 2020

Dear Genevieve,

I wish I could say with absolute certainty that I know where you are right now as you read this, but the truth is I don't. I have absolutely no idea. You could be at the river with your grandparents, or at home with your family - how's your brother, by the way? And your dog? I saw your dad the other day at the polo fields and I'm embarrassed to say I almost started crying again (yes I'm a big crybaby and an emotional wreck blah blah you should know that already) but I didn't...how is he, and your mom? They were always so nice and welcoming to me so I hope everyone's alright. Maybe you're at a dance competition, or on vacation. Perhaps you ran off to Spain, I don't know. I've got no clue. And to be honest, that not knowing hurts. You're like that, sometimes, quick jabs of pain...

cry me a river

cry me a river build me a bridge and get over it they say
so i swallow my feelings and then stain my pillow with tears at the end of the day
the river i cried is salty and of course it's made of tears
the bridge i built for them is broken - it didn't last a year
i am drowning in it all and i can't save myself
it's hard to call yourself lucky when there's nothing of you left

they told me i was okay and that i should move on
they told me to forget it all and stop writing stupid songs
they told me it didn't matter and that the past is in the past
but what they never told me was the pain lasts and lasts

they came upon the ruins of the bridge they said to build
and they laughed and watched me drown inside it - watched my poor lungs as they...

red red carpet || #boredwriter

it takes a village they say well they were right it did take a village to raise you and what you became is far worse than what anyone could've imagined but it's what they made you so can you be blamed?

they pamper you with powder and love, blush and lies - plump pouted lips and bright bambi eyes will get you places they remind you as they tighten the corset just a little more.
you can barely breathe.
remember where you're going, they say to you, their silky smiles glossing across your vision that's peppered with white spots from the lack of oxygen, but you hold your head up and point your foot out so they can slip the heels on. your feet will hurt like hell later tonight, you already know.

you smile for the cameras as they flash and click - the lights would be blinding but you're used to it, and it's not lost on you...

it's time for me to live my life not yours

i. it hurts to put myself back together but i will
i mend my wings bone by bone on the hardwood floor of my bedroom
you told me you’d help me fly but you only broke me into pieces
i wish i’d have realized it back then what you were but i was blind
you tightened your grip before i could slip back through and you held me there
choking in your ruthless arms and you didn’t let go not for a second
forcing your dreams on to me and making me believe they were mine what did you expect to happen
i played your games and did my time and once you looked the other way and decided i was too broken to try and escape i did just that
escape
and you’re still there with your other trophies but i’m not one of them not anymore
i’m too strong minded
too strong willed
too strong for you, though...

Ancestors Speak

there's a lot i don't know so maybe i should ask you || your leaving

I haven't asked you what the weather was like. It seems like such a mundane detail, but I wonder. Was it cold? Or was the sun beating down on your heads? Was the wind blowing, or was the air so thick with moisture you couldn't breathe? Was it spring, winter, fall or summer?

I haven't asked you how you felt. Did you know you'd probably never go back? Were you scared, at 12, to leave the only world and life you'd ever known? Did you understand what was happening, and how dangerous things were? How did it feel to be separated from your dad and brother for almost a year and not know where they were or if they were okay?

I haven't asked you what it was like to leave behind your only home. Did you think about what or who you'd miss? Did you leave quickly and suddenly, or did you take time to walk around the yard...

decisions

decisions
suck the feeling out of you until your wrung out
just another rag tossed out to dry
shriveled on the side of a wash basin

forgotten

decisions
the big ones make life seem impossible
how am i to choose between staying or quitting
both make me out to be a monster

unforgivable

decisions
my brain toys with all the outcomes
a or b or c or d and on for infinity
there may be only 26 letters in the english alphabet but my brain will create many more possibilities

spiraling

decisions
breaking down and trying to explain how i feel to my family but they don't understand how can they
manipulation holds you captive to the manipulator and no parent wants to see their daughter in pain
sobbing and shouting that she's had enough but she still can't cut the strings that bind her

stuck

decisions
who am i to decide my own fate
the people-pleaser just can't win...

decisions

decisions
just another rag tossed out to dry
shriveled on the side of a wash basin
forgotten

decisions
the big ones make life seem impossible
both make me out to be a monster
unforgivable

decisions
my brain toys with all the outcomes
a or b or c or d and on for infinity
spiraling

decisions
stuck

decisions
who am i to decide my own fate
the people-pleaser just can't win...

The Unseen

The Girl in the Mirror

Clean and shiny, she stares at her reflection in the mirror and wishes she were somewhere else.
Someone else.
Anyone else.
The tears that fall down her face are hidden by the droplets of water dripping from her long hair as she stares and stares and stares -
Nothing changes.

The foggy mirror hid her from herself but now the fog fades away and there is nothing blocking her from the truth.

Her nose is still too big.
Her hair is already starting to poof in the humidity of the bathroom, and it's brown, not beach blonde.
Her hips are to wide.
Her belly's too fat.
Her thighs don't fit into skinny jeans the way she'd like them too.
Her shoulders are much too broad to be considered pretty.
Her skin isn't the perfect shade of tan.
Her eyes aren't baby blue.

She gets dressed.

Her clothes aren't designer, far from it - she's cold so she pulls on a...

70+ Followers Q&A Answers :)

Hi guys! These are the answers to the questions I got in the Q&A I did to celebrate my 70+ followers! I'm happy to say I'm now up to 91, which I never would have believed I'd get up that high when I first found this site, and i'm so grateful to all of you, new and old. <3 I made the deadline for when I was going to post the answers a while after I published the Q&A originally because of school and AP Testing, but I took my last test on the 22nd (AP Stats, fingers crossed it went well lol) and even though I'm doing some online classes I'm hoping I'll be more active and write a lot more...although I have had a little bit of a creative slump lately so hopefully I'll get out of that soon. Anyway, here are my answers! If questions were asked twice I just copy and pasted the answer (which is...

Ring Ring

"Hi baby I know you said don't buy the clothes but I couldn't help it and MIlly looks so cute don't you Milly? Yes you do! Yes you do you cutie!! [laughter] Anyway, you'll be home soon, yes? Dinner's almost ready and Milly wants to play she can't wait for Daddy to come home no you can't wait can you Milly baby no you can't!! Love you Jack see you in a bit." [click]

"Jack, honey do you know where the extra blankets are? Also you dumped my beers outside did you mean to? I need that stuff!! Honestly, how dare you throw out my stuff it was mine! Mine!! NOT yours. And I need it it helps me relax and God knows I need to relax with MIlly around God she's such a tyrant I just started being able to sleep through the night and now she's always screaming...

Lie Forever || #BaringMySoul3

It's hard to put it into words
the way it feels
every time I see You a thousand memories course through my veins
the high I get from a simple "Hi" that You say leaves me elated for hours
and my cheeks flush bright red when someone makes fun of me for smiling
because You entered the room
You do that
You have the power

And like a drug every single time You leave I want more and more and more until I just can't take it anymore
but I have to
I need to
I need You
but You don't need me

Isn't it funny how things work out this way?

You went from a name on a screen to a photo on that same screen and then all of a sudden You were a person joking with me about a mutual friend
and then You were a runner like me and I found out You're a soccer lover...

A Tragic Accident || #inside

"It was a tragic accident."

Those words changed my life forever. I mean, it's not every day you get told your whole family is gone, right?
They died. Car Crash.

"Accident."

It's always an accident is it?

But tell me, please, was it an accident that he got drunk earlier that day?
Was it an accident that he left early instead of sleeping over at his friends house because his girlfriend wanted to go home?
Was it an accident that he decided to drive home anyway, even though they were both drunk as hell and could barely stay on their feet when they walked down the porch steps?
Was it an accident that they were too inebriated to notice they'd gone up the wrong on ramp in the wrong direction?
Was it an accident that they ran headlong into a silver minivan carrying a mother, a father, and two kids?

I guess it was an accident they hit my family's car....

WHO ELSE WANTS A CHAT SPACE??!!

Hey guys!
So, I know I'm not very well known, but I had an interesting idea that I needed to share. You know how a lot of writers on WtW want to collaborate with each other, so they exchange emails and stuff? So I had a cool thought: what about a chat space? What if WtW had an online chat space where users can talk about their work, collab on pieces, and just hang out with other writers? I think that would be pretty cool.
So if you're on board with this idea, scroll down to that black bar at the bottom of the page. Click the thing that says "Contact Us". Then you can write to WtW and ask for a chat space. Maybe if we had enough people contact them, they'll actually do it!
I've already sent my request to WtW. I hope you will too! And if you do, like this post so I can see how...

70+ Followers Q&A

Hi guys! So I just realized I have 70 followers...not quite sure how that happened but thanks for all your support! I know I don't post here that often and I've been trying to write more since I've had more time because of the stay at home order but it's still been kinda tough because of classwork and studying for AP tests. Speaking of, I hope all of you are safe and well at home. I know this time is extremely tough for everyone and it seems as though things are getting better globally so hopefully they'll create a safe vaccine and things will get back to quasi-normal sooner rather than later!

But back to what I was saying about how I don't post a lot. The thing is, when I do post, the comments, reviews and likes you guys leave are honestly the sweetest things. I can't tell you all how much it means to reload my tab (because...

Hidden Meanings || #70comp1

"Hi! It's so good to see you it's been too long!! You look SOO great you just HAVE to tell me what you've been doing you've lost soooo much weight!!"
Does she really think so? I look so fat though...and she has NO idea. I haven't eaten a full meal in weeks. I threw up three times today already. But this shirt really is too short; I should've gone with something longer this one makes my belly look fat. She has to be lying. There's no way she actually thinks that.
"Haha thank you! I've just worked really hard."

"Oh my god you're pregnant? Do you need any help?"
Yes I'm pregnant. I'm showing and I know you heard the rumors. You don't have to pretend to be surprised. And yes I need help. I need someone to talk to. I need a home; my parents kicked me out. I need someone to listen; I didn't want this. I didn't...

After... After... After

After You Left Me

After the laughter, after the long summer walks, after picnics in the park, after biking through town, after going on runs, after doing work outs together,
after writing letters and promising to send them our senior year, after the I love yous, after the hugs, after the endless questions, after the cuddles,
after flirting with all the boys, after plans to go to the river together, after we had our college all mapped out with me in England and you in Spain and us meeting in France on the weekends,
after you showed up at my house with no warning because you missed me and didn't feel like texting,
after you called me for hours everyday when the Wifi in our house wasn't working so neither was my old phone but our house phone was,
after you wanted to leave our friend groups hangout early so we both went back to your house to hang out for house longer,
after...

A Teenage Dream || #NinjasContest_2_Poem

A friend of a kid
named Ryan
in my world history class
freshman year
So a friend of a friend if you will
I didn't know
his name until
at least October or November
a picture
sent to our class group chat he was wearing
a Manchester United shirt and so I
texted that friend
spammed him
"Who is he who is he who is he"
"That's Max"
the reply
quick
laughing
I didn't know
then
who he would become
to me
I don't think anyone
did
...
It took
until February
a boys track meet
I visited
after my running practice
to see some of my friends run
and he was there
running the mile
when I walked in
I cheered him
on
and later he told me
he was grateful
I was out on the backstretch of the indoor track
not a lot of people cheer there
I was alone
he was grateful
I stood and talked with...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

My Hero (please review!)

Performance Link: https://spark.adobe.com/video/xz7UelefY6rFG

When I was asked
as a child
"Who is your hero?"
I never said my parents
"J.K. Rowling. Or Alex Morgan."
I would answer
famous author and football star
they were my world
my future
I wanted to be like them
But now
Now I understand
As amazing as those two women are
they don't go to work every day even on their off days because the ICU is short staffed and full
they don't say "baby I'm sorry I can't hug you right now" to their family because they haven't taken their scrubs off and they haven't fully sanitized yet
they haven't worked 14 hour shifts day after day after day because that's not their job
but that's my mom's job
I always thought nurses deserved more recognition
more appreciation
When my mom used to work nights my siblings and I would tip toe around the house so she could get enough sleep
Shifts always start...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

My Hero (please review!)

When I was asked
as a child
"Who is your hero?"
I never said my parents
"j.K. Rowling. Or Alex Morgan."
I would answer
famous author and football star
they were my world
my future
I wanted to be like them
But now
Now I understand
As amazing as those two women are
but that's my mom's job
more appreciation
Shifts always start...

Five Line Fiction

December

It's the most wonderful time of the year. 25 days until Christmas. 9 days until she should've turned 18. Instead, she's buried 6 feet under in the cold hard earth; the roses on her grave wilted and covered in snow - dead like she is. Dead like I should be.

Late #aprilcancercontrol

As she lay there, tubes and wires protruding from all parts of her body, her heart rate monitor beeping along in the background, she knew she was going to die. It was only a matter of time before the cancer claimed her.
Only a matter of time.

“Visit me?” She texted him, the question mark sticking out like a sore thumb on the screen. So. Formal. She quickly put her phone away, hiding it under a tissue box on her hospital bedside table so she wouldn’t see the response; so she couldn't worry about what he might say.
Picking up a book, she thumbed through the pages mindlessly, trying to get her mind off the phone. Eventually, she sank into the pages and the story, reading “Kira-Kira” on repeat.

Her mom came back from the cafeteria; her shoulders drooping and her body caved inward. But her mom always looked tired and worn these days.
“Hey Mom,” she said. The tears...

Late #aprilcancercontrol

Only a matter of time.

Her mom came back from the cafeteria, looking tired and worn out. But her mom always looked tired and worn these days.
“Hey mom,” she said. The tears started to creep...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

My Hero (please review!)

When I was asked
as a child
"Who is your hero?"
I never said my parents
"j.K. Rowling. Or Alex Morgan."
I would answer
famous author and football star
they were my world
my future
I wanted to be like them
But now
Now I understand
As amazing as those two women are
but that's my mom's job
more appreciation
Shifts always start...

Silence

Beep. Beep. Beep.
Beep. Beep.
Beep.
Silence.

*five months before*

“You’re daughter has stage four lung cancer. She was five months to live.”
Ana didn’t fully comprehend for a couple weeks what that really meant.
She was going to die. And no in decades. Not in years. Months. 5 months to live. 5. Months. Left.
The time was looming. Always there. A ticking clock. An hourglass. The sand constantly falling. 
Drip. Drip. Drip.
The rain fell from the leaves in the tree outside her window.
She had 4 ½ months left to live.

...

Late #aprilcancercontrol

Only a matter of time.

Homeless for the Holidays

"Mommy, I'm cold," Mia shivers against me.
    "Come closer, sweetie," I pull my daughter into my arms, wrapping the blankets even tighter around the two of us. We both have all of our clothes on, but Chicago gets cold in the winter, and under the overpass the concrete is freezing. But it's better then being completely exposed to the cold.
    BEEPP!! BEEP BEEP!!
    Safe in their cars, on their way home at this time of day, all the people drove by, honking their way through traffic.
    "It's loud, Mommy," Lukas mumbles, burying his head into the blankets.
    "I know, honey, I know. Try and get some sleep, then you won't have to hear the noise no more."
    "But Mama, I'm hungry," Mia whines.
    "I'm sorry, baby, I don't have anymore food. Did you eat the rest of the bar you had for lunch?"
 ...

A Fictional Landscape

Hinswood, Illinois (a fictional Chicago suburb)

What’s the population?
    Around 20,000 people

What kind of trees grow here?
    It's a Chicago suburb, so oak, maple, evergreen, etc.

What do people who live here do for a living?
    There are lot's who work in the city because the railroad runs straight through it, but it's a affluent town so a lot of people also work from home or own companies.

What does a teenager living here dream of?
    Most dream of making a lot of money, and everyone strives to be the best. A lot of people want to leave to travel or live abroad or move elsewhere, but a lot of people also end up staying, and it's not surprising considering many families have lied here for generations.

What sounds drift in through the open window as your main character is falling asleep?
Birds and crickets if it's summer, cars every so often as they rush by on...

Your View

Mis Opiniones

1. Soccer is most definitely more than just a sport.
  2. Books are better than their movies.
  3. Blue is the best color (and blue M&M's taste better than the other ones).
  4. It is totally acceptable to play with LEGO's even if you're not a (young) kid anymore.
  5. Running is a hard sport but it's worth it.
  6. London is my true home.
  7. Thunderstorms are beautiful.
  8. Mandarin is so so so so hard to learn.
  9. 9 is the best number.
  10. "The Princess Bride" is the best movie to watch when you're sick.

YOU in threes

Me in Threes (hehehe)

1. Three quirks or idiosyncrasies.
    1. I love writing letters to people (and sometimes actually sending them).
    2. I've been told I use lots of big words too often when I talk.
    3. I talk really fast.
  2. Three communities to which you belong (these can be unusual).
    1. Soccer
    2. First-generation American (I'm 50% Romanian)
    3. Caucasian with naturally curly hair (my hair is REALLY curly)
  3. Three adjectives your peers would use to describe you.
    1. Smart
    2. Funny
    3. Kind
  4. Three adjectives your family would use.
    1. Intelligent
    2. Funny
    3. Ambitious
  5. Three adjectives you would use.
    1. Intelligent
    2. Funny
    3. Loyal
  6. Three things about you that very few people know.
    1. I'm learning Mandarin.
    2. I listen to A LOT of music and a lot of different genres of music (anything from The Lumineers to BTS to Taylor Swift to The Beetles to Pearl Jam).
    3. I have scoliosis so I had to wear a back brace for 7th and 8th grade for as much of 24/7/365 that I could because my curve was so bad if...

#Q&AContest

1. What's your favorite color?
  2. What would the title of your autobiography be? Why?
  3. What's your favorite thing about yourself? Why?
  4. What's the first thing you notice about someone when you meet them?
  5. What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
  6. What would be said in your obituary if you died tomorrow? Is this the same or different from what you would want to be said? (Sorry that's kinda morbid but it can be kind of interesting to think about.)
  7. What scares you the most?
  8. Mornings or evenings?
  9. What is one good thing that happened to you today?
  10. Can you stay friends with an ex?
  11. Do you prefer classic novels or newer books or both? Explain.
  12. Do you listen to music or anything while you write? If so, what kind of stuff do you listen to?
  13. What's your favorite holiday? Why?
  14. What's your favorite number?
  15. If you could live any other place in the world where would you chose...

My December Competition 2019

Happy Birthday To Me

It's hard to have a December birthday. Ask anyone who does, and they'll agree. Sandwiched between three of the biggest holidays of the year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's), it's so, so easy to get lost. I know I feel lost sometimes.
    My birthday is December 9th, and I turn 16 this year. It's supposed to be a big deal, a huge birthday. My Sweet Sixteen. Driver's Licence time! And it will be, only I'm not celebrating until after winter break this year because of finals and the holidays, and I'm not going to get my driver's license because I haven't had the time to take Drivers Ed yet. And I'm okay with that. But sometimes it's hard to be grateful for being born in this month. December. So much is going on; it's always about moving on to the next thing and the next and the next. It's easy to forget the big things, let...

My December Competition 2019

Happy Birthday To Me

My birthday is December 9th, and I turn 16 this year. It's supposed to be a big deal, a huge birthday. My Sweet Sixteen. And it will be, only I'm not celebrating until after winter break because of finals an the holidays, and I'm not going to get my driver's license because I haven't had the time to take drivers ed yet. And I'm okay with that. But sometimes it's hard to be grateful for being born in this month. December. So much is going on, it's on to the next thing and the next and the next. It's easy to forget the big things, let alone the little things that get lost along...

Late #aprilcancercontrol

Only a matter of time.

Late #aprilcancercontrol

Only a matter of time.

Picking up a book, she thumbed through the pages mindlessly, trying to get her mind off the phone. Eventually, she sank into the pages and the story, reading “Kira Kira” on repeat.

“Hey mom,” she said. The tears started to...

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

Say Something

A lot of people find it hard to speak up. To say what they believe in, to stand up for what's right, to apologize or to compliment. It's hard to put yourself out there, and to not know what the outcome will be. Then again, you all have done it, by writing something, anything, here on this site. You took a stand and put yourself out there. You all are very courageous.

Courage is different from bravery. Bravery is being able to face an imminent obstacle without feeling any fear. It's doing something that could be dangerous but you as the person doing it are not afraid. Courage is taking something you're terrified of and doing it anyway. Courage is helping others. Courage is taking that first step up those stairs. Courage is doing something you might not want to do because you know you should.

I am a very hypocritical person. I'll apologize for everything, especially things that don't...

Say Something

A lot of people find it hard to speak up. To say what they believe in, stand up for what's right, to apologize or to compliment. It's hard to put yourself out there, and to not know what the outcome will be. Then again, you all have done it, by writing something, anything, here on this site. You took a stand and put yourself out there. You all are very courageous.

Courage is different from bravery. Bravery is reckless and thoughtless. Courage is taking something you're terrified of and doing it anyway. Courage is helping others. Courage is taking that first step up those stairs. Courage is doing something you might not want to because you know you should.

I am a very hypocritical person. I will simultaneously be the most apologetic person ever and also the person who blames everyone but themselves for some silly little thing. Because of this, I often find myself stuck in between the two....

Say Something

What Once Was Ours

Dear Ex-Best Friend,

I still remember the first time I saw you. You were in my language arts class in 6th grade. I was a quiet, mouse of a girl back then. You were too. I didn't have any friends in that class, so I sat alone reading. You sat quietly in your seat. We didn't talk.

By seventh grade, our friend groups collided, and we had language arts and advisory together. Every day, we would talk about books or boys or life and we got closer and closer. You were there for me when I had to wear a back brace to school for my scoliosis for two years. You helped me when my mom got diagnosed with cancer. You were there for all the victories, all the defeats and everything in between. 

I was there for you, too. When you said yes to a guy you probably shouldn't have and "dated" him for two days, or when you...

Universal Knowledge

Pain

Your stomach turns over and over as you shake and shudder while thousands of tears drip down your cheeks and the betrayal of the one you loved most slashes through your body as you slowly die by a thousand cuts.

One-Liner

Our World

Billions of lights across the globe, blinking on and off; shining brightly only to flicker and die when they run out of light to give.

Imagine

Imagine how you feel about your best friend. Your favorite person. The one you tell anything and everything to, and they don't judge you. The one you stay up late talking to, go on bike rides ad picnics with. The one who's family knows you so well you were gonna go up to their lake house with them next summer. That friend who cares about you and who you care about more than anything. You love them. They love you.

Now imagine this person, have their image in your head, imagine that person died. They're gone. You won't ever see them smile or get to make them laugh again. They won't come to your house with no explanation just to hang out. They won't be there when you need someone who understands you to talk to, and they won't be there to tell you all the things only you would understand about them. They'll never text you again or call...

Broken by a Friend

She laughs, but not because of you.
She smiles, but not at you.
Her gaze slips right by you.

You're not even important enough to recognize anymore.

You don't exist to her.

You could die and she wouldn't care.
And it's that, more than anything, that hurts the most.

How does one go from everything to nothing? Promises to lies? Friendship to hatred?

How did she forget it all that easily?
I wish I knew. 
I wish I could.

I always trust the wrong people.
I love so much but I'm scared to let it show like I used to.
Maybe they can't and won't break me if that don't know there's anything to break.
Maybe I can save myself from "next time."
But I care too much for people who don't care enough about me and cast aside the one's who do.

Commitment is scary.
I can't commit to something big if I never have the opportunity. If it's...

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

How Many Times?

"Breaking News: 22 killed in mass shooting at Hinswood High School this morning. Dozens more injured."

~1 week later~

A girl huddled in a cemetery; 12 red roses clutched in her hands. Their thorns pierced her palms, but she didn't notice.

Tears cascaded down her face; her shoulders shaking. She knelt by a gravestone, limply letting the flowers fall.

The stone read: 

"Luke G. McKinley
                   Loved
February 23, 2004 - March 17, 2022"

Her tears said I love you, I miss you over and over as they hit the ground.

"You saved me," she whispered. "You saved my life."

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

How Many Times?

~1 week later~

A girl stood in a cemetery; 12 red roses clutched in her hands. The thorns cut deep into her palms, but she didn't notice.

Tears slid down her face as she knelt by a gravestone and began laying the flowers down.

The stone read: 

"Luke G. McKinley
February 23, 2004 - March 17, 2022"

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

How Many Times?

"Breaking News: 22 killed in mass shooting at Hinswood High School this morning; dozens more are injured."

A girl stood; 12 red roses clutched between her hands, the thorns cutting deep into them. She didn't notice.

Tears fell steadily from her face as she knelt by the gravestone and began to lay the flowers down.

The stone read: 

"Luke G. McKinley
February 23, 2004 - March 17, 2022"

Her tears said "I love you, I miss you" over and over as they hit the already damp earth in the cemetery.

"You saved me," she whispered, "you saved my life."

Song Writing Competition 2019

Rewind

Verse One
Eighth grade and we were closer then ever before
It didn't matter that we didn't have any classes together
By the end of the year we were practically inseparable
And I didn't think anything could be better then this

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Two
Summer before the start of freshmen year
Swinging in your portable hammock as we picnicked at the park
Everything was perfect as can be
We were closer than sisters you and me

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Three
Then we went and started high school
I met you in the halls just to talk 'cuz I had no classes with you ...

Song Writing Competition 2019

Rewind

Verse One

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Two
Picnics, biking, and writing letters
Everything was perfect as can be
We were closer than sisters you and me

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Three
Then we went and started high school
Distraught; I had no classes with you
But Best Friends, they always make it through
We said the bond between us wouldn't...

A Signature Capability

The Love They'd Always Had

He flourished on a signature capability, one that made her ripple with untamed, raw want every time she saw him. One that made her all his, and no one else's.

One that made her love him.

Once upon a time there was a girl named Claire who loved a boy named Francis.

Claire fell deeply in love with Francis. Leaving her fiance, Maxwell, she married her old crush and lived with him in his mansion, forever his and his alone.

Once upon a time there was a banker named Jake who gave part of his paycheck to the bank account of a man named Francis every week until he died in a tragic medical emergency and they couldn't save him.

Jake deposited 25% of his paycheck after taxes into Francis's bank account until the ripe old age of 37 when he died from a sudden heart attack. They paramedics couldn't revive him, and he was pronounced dead on arrival at...

Song Writing Competition 2019

Rewind

Verse One

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Two
Picnics, biking, and writing letters
Everything was perfect as can be
We were closer than sisters you and me

Chorus
Wish I could rewind
Back to the good times
Before we fell apart
Wish I could rewind
not mess up like last time
Get the chance to restart
Rewind

Verse Three
Then we went and started high school
Distraught; I had no classes with you
We said the bond between us wouldn't...