V-Rose

14
Catholic
Sagittarius
Writer/Reader

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out.
-G.K. Chesterton

Write as if your life depends on it
(It might)

Need/Want a Review?
Just Ask!

I will post prompts that I find/ have found here. If you find inspiration with these (which I hope you do) please let me know. I really like all of the prompts I find and I would love to see what you guys make of them. I'll change the prompts every week or so so that there is always something new.

Prompt #3
The only hope the kingdom has rests with a beautiful witch, a loud princess, a clumsy thief, and a fairy that likes to set things on fire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The best way to start the day is with a cup of coffee and a good book.
-V-Rose

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Her Own Design (Review for Review?)(Draft #3)

Her red hair flew wildly in the wind. "Jasper!" she screamed. "Jasper, don't do this!"
    He looked over to her, his eyes rimmed with red. "I'm sorry, but I have to, Caylie."
    The salty waves crashed against the rocky shore as he hauled himself up onto the ship, it's black hull glistening. "I promise I'll be back," he called. The wind tore the words from his lips and carried them to Caylie.
    Caylie bit her lip and shook her head, staring at the weapons and shields arrayed on the ship. "No, you won't," she whispered. "They'll kill you first."

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

The waves crashed against the shore as he hauled himself up onto the ship, it's black hull glistening. "I promise I'll be back," he called. The wind tore the words from his lips and carried them to Caylie.
    Caylie bit her lip and shook her head, staring at the weapons and shields arrayed on the ship. Her design. "No, you won't," she whispered. "They'll kill you first."

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

The waves crashed against the shore as he pulled himself onto the ship, it's black hull glistening. "I promise I'll be back," he called. The wind tore the words from his lips and carried them to Caylie.

Flying on Broken Wings: Chapter 5

“Hey, are you alright.”
    I looked over at Aiden, standing in the doorway. I shrugged. “I’m fine.”
    He sat down on the ground next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. “You’ve been out here for hours.”
    I nodded. “I just needed to be alone for a bit.”
    Aiden laid a soft kiss on my head. “Well, come inside, go to sleep, and tomorrow we can take a short hike.”
    I nodded and then leaned into Aiden. “In a few minutes?” I pleaded.
    After a second, he consented. “Alright. Just a few minutes.”
    We stared up at the sky, one of the only parts of my world alight. The stars were stunning in the almost cloudless sky. And then something huge and black streaked across the sky like a bird. But it was bigger than any bird I had seen.
    “What was that?” Aiden asked, pulling us both to our feet.
    I shook my head. “I have no...

Do Me A Favor (Chapter 8 of Never Really Real)

Annabelle's mom smiled at us as we all climbed into the car. Harlow got into the front seat while Annabelle and I sat in the middle row of the van. Mrs. Ard was a florist and the entire car smelled of flowers. I sneezed as I buckled my seatbelt. Mrs. Ard was silent the whole way to the hospital. We all were.
    Harlow ran his hand through his hair a dozen times. I counted.
    Annabelle tapped her leg ten times and then stopped and then did it again after a moment. Always ten.
    Jacob. What the heck was I going to say to him?
    Hi.
    Are you okay?
    I know I said some mean things but I don't want you to die yet.
    Are you a complete idiot?

We were at the hospital before I knew it, even though it had felt like an eternity had passed. It felt like it had...

When the Stars Are Dust

Tell me when the stars are dust
coating my pale fingers.
Tell me when the moon will fall
and the light from brilliance lingers.
Tell me when I dance
beneath a dying sky.
Tell me then and there
exactly how I die.

Because you know, don't you
Your face hides a million things.
I know you know I hate you
As every falling star sings.

Will you kill me simply because you can
and lay me on the cold, hard ground?
Will you kill me with a poisoned cup
to take my heavy crown?
Will you kill me like you did all before
with all your wicked lies?
Will you kill me just because
every princess dies?

Because you are here to kill
I can read that one truth on your face.
And you do not know that I can kill
And put you in your place.

Oh, I don't like to hurt people
the way you are willing to. ...

I Am Something Stronger

Dancing in the rain is like
    the sky and I loving in a world of hate
Is like
    Going on when the storm won't abate
Is like
    Looking up to the clouds in wait
Is like
    Dancing through the world that you
                                                        could
                                                                not
                                                                    taint.

Every time I am broken down, I can pick myself back up.
Pick up the pieces and mold into something stronger.
I will stand proud and I will stand taller.
And each time I mend, I will fight longer.

Singing to the stars is like
    Writing every wish I could not say aloud
Is like
    Speaking to a never judging crowd
Is like
    Being the queen that could not be bowed
Is like
    Singing against you because I
                                                can
                                                    be
                                                       proud.

Pick up the pieces and mold...

The Eclipse: Chapter 1

No one knew who I was. I was born in this small town, raised in this area, and no one knew who I was. I was invisible. People ignored me, pretended I wasn't there, and that was the way I liked it. It was wonderful and quiet and no one yelled at me. Usually. But today, being ignored was not a good thing. The world was dying and no one would listen, not to me. They didn't even know who I was.
    Yucca. Yucca knew me and saw me and spoke to me. But Yucca wouldn't listen to me now. He told me I was crazy. It hurt like someone had stabbed me and then left. He was the only one I thought would believe me. He had listened to me before about Channery and Jason and Gwen. I don't know why he wouldn't believe me now.
    I grabbed at the nearest person's sleeve and tried to get their attention....

Falling Up

What happens when the words come too fast to hear?
Listening to cottonwoods sing as they snow, flakes falling.
If there are a dozen reasons behind I'm fine, I fear...
No one will ever really understand and I will keep falling...
Like Alice...
down the Rabbit
                        H
                            O
                                L
                                    E
I am falling.
I am whole.

The world rushes past in a blur of clarity.
Moments of complete understanding are a rarity.
The snow is flying up, back to the clouds.
While I fall down,
trying to catch the ropes of "I'm so proud!"s.
And I find 

T
                h
                e

S
                i
                d
                e
                s
Of the box
I am trapped in.

I can't stand up when they lock me down.
But only a queen can wear my crown.
And the Queen of Hearts cannot have...

Death's Tales: Chapter 13

Sitting on Micheal’s bed was comfortable and his room was warm enough that I didn’t need to have my jacket on. Mr. Lambert had assigned us an essay on the use of figurative language in writing. I was just finishing up with it and I sighed as I began writing the final sentence. Micheal was downstairs talking to his parents. We had come by after school to do homework, but we hadn’t been here for five minutes when his parents called him down to talk to him.

I was putting the paper away in my bag when he came in. He handed me a warm coffee mug. I breathed in the sweet scent of hot chocolate and took a sip. It was almost hot enough to burn my tongue but not quite.

Micheal sat on the bed next to me, his legs crossed under him. I turned to him. “So what did they want to talk to you about?”

Micheal...

Flying on Broken Wings: Chapter 4

Aiden pulled into the yard and killed the ignition. There was silence for a moment. Then Mama Jo took my hand and squeezed it. She twisted in the seat to look at Atasha.
    “Come on in, honey, and help me with the kitchen. We can decide what to have for dinner.”
    Atasha nodded and they climbed out of the car. Aiden’s arm tightened around me and he laid a gentle kiss on my head. I snuggled closer to him and hugged him.
    “I’m sorry,” he whispered.
    I hugged him tighter and looked up at his face. “For what? You tried, Aiden, and that’s all I could ask and all you could do. It’s not your fault he was a top-level jerk.”
    Aiden smiled weakly. “I just don’t want you to have to stay home instead of going on your hikes.”
    I swallowed. I didn’t want to stay home myself. I loved being outdoors and...

What I'll Say

What I'll say (inspired by BirdofPrey):

If you tell me
"You don't have to try to be so perfect."
I'll tell you something,
depending on who you are.

"Why not?"
"Yes, I do."
"Maybe not. But I want to."

If you tell me
"You read too much."
I'll ignore you because
you can't possibly think I read too much.
You must be talking to
yourself.

If you tell me
"You are mean."
or
"You're selfish."
or
"Don't act better than me."
I will tell you
"Thanks for the ticket for the guilt trip
but I'm booked."
"If you don't like me, leave."
"Then raise yourself to my level
because I'm not jumping off
after I climbed this mountain."

If you scream and yell
I won't cower and hide.
The sun may burn me
but it can't keep me inside.
You can't make me feel anything
I refuse to feel.
I decide who is fake
And who is real.

If...

Flying on Broken Wings: Chapter 3

The house rose two stories into the sky, woodsy brown against the refreshing blue of the sky. There was a wraparound porch made of pale wood with a small swing and a rocking chair. The door stood in the middle of the wall and, as we stood at the door, a welcome mat sat at our feet. It was covered in birds, blue and pink, with wind chasing them around. Birds rarely looked that bright. Most of them were duller colors but even more stunning than the pictures.
    Aiden raised his hand to knock but Atasha pushed him aside.
    “There’s a doorbell, idiot,” she said with a smile, pushing the round button set into the wall.
    Aiden laughed lightly and his arm snaked around my waist protectively. I went up on my toes to kiss his cheek gently.
    He sighed and rested his head on mine. But it snapped up as the door opened. A young girl,...

Death's Tales: Chapter 12

No one got hurt in the fire. I took a deep breath of relief. Micheal’s arm was thrown around my shoulders casually as the principal stood behind his wooden podium. Principal Walton had called an assembly shortly after the fire trucks left. Micheal and I were sitting a little off to the side and it was more difficult to hear Walton.

“...fire started due to an overheating stove...lunch will...held in the school courtyard for the...week…”

He continued droning on, but I was done listening. No one had been hurt and the fire could have just been a simple accident. I didn’t hurt anyone.

“...understandable if you would like to go home for… the afternoon because of Mrs. Hadville’s death and the fire…”

Hadville.

The librarian. Her name had been Hadville.

Micheal’s arm tightened around me when it should have been moving away to keep him safe. But he seemed to live off of risk.

I wondered if he had been...

Flying on Broken Wings: Chapter 2

Aiden laid next to me until I fell asleep. When I woke up the next morning, he was right outside the tent with a small fire going. There was a raven sitting next to me and I smiled at it. It was a beautiful bluish-black color with black eyes. She hopped closer to me but when I sat up, she flew away.
    Aiden came over to me, holding two steaming mugs. "How are you feeling?"
    I took the mug he offered. "Better. But everyone knows not to hunt around here during this season."
    Aiden's mouth thinned. "I know, but that new neighbor moved in a few weeks ago. I'll see if it was him when we get home and talk to him."
    I smiled. "I'm pretty sure there's a girl in that house, too."
    Aiden rolled his eyes, watching the sunrise. "Fine. I'll talk to them."
    I nodded. "I'll come...

Flying on Broken Wings: Chapter 1

"Can I fly like you, Mama?"
    Mama laughed. "No Krista, only wings let you fly," her mother chastened. "And don't try to fly, either; you don't have wings."
    Mama leaped into the air, leaving Krista on the cliff's edge. Mama's wings spread to help her fly. Going from a black as dark as the night sky to angelic white, Mama's wings were huge; the wingspan was six feet. Krista wanted wings like Mama's.
    Suddenly, a shot rang out, puncturing the comfortable silence and Mama's heart. Mama began to fall, her wings going limp and useless. Krista was scared, Mama didn't normally fall like that. The little girl leaped off the cliff after Mama and feel the thousands of feet toward the ground.
    "Mama!" she cried. "Mama," she whispered to the wind. "Mama."

Aiden found me all those years ago. He and his dad were hunting. when he saw me sprawled over the stone. I couldn't remember anything. My name was...

Shattered, Broken Girl

Sometimes I forget how shattered I am
Because I hide it in rhymes and hellos.
And sometimes I think of the glass I collect,
sitting in jars and all around, shattered, like me.

And poetry is so easy to hide things in.
So easy to hide pieces of glass and of me.
It's so easy to take the mirror and break it.
It was not so easy to break me.

It took miles of sadness and happiness and loss.
It looks days of fighting and hating and trying.
People pushed me into corners and nooks
And then told me I could do better.
I had to fight the lies that broken was not beautiful.

But it is,
it is so beautiful.
The stars are just a mirror, broken and thrown into the sky.
Rhymes are stories broken up and saved before they could die.
Have you ever seen the broken bridge, so beautiful because it still did not fall?
Doesn't...

Death's Tales: Chapter 11

I wasn’t going to school. Rumors would be traveling around about what had happened to the librarian and I couldn’t risk getting upset about it. The night before had already been a disaster. So I just sat on my bed, my legs crossed in front of me. School was supposed to start in five minutes.

It was stupid--so stupid--to let Micheal see me get so upset. I kept waiting for a call saying he was in the hospital or that he was already dead.

There was a light knock on my door but I ignored it. It was probably just Mrs. Willow coming to ask if I was going to school. She knocked again and I ignored it again. But then the door opened, which was so unlike her because she never came in without permission. But it wasn’t her.

Micheal stood in the doorway, biting his lip. I just stared at him, impassive. Then he sighed. “She died early...

Flying on Broken Wings: Chapter 1

"Can I fly like you, Mama?"

Letter Writing Competition 2020

A Letter to My Guardian Angel

Dear Agasa,
    I'm so grateful you are right here by my side. I am grateful because I know I mess up constantly.

But you still lead me.

Do you remember when God told you to watch me? When he put me in my mother's womb, did you know that this little girl would grow to love reading and love God? Did you know that I'd need you?

I don't remember but my parents say that when I was little, my sister and I had an imaginary friend named Agasa. That was you, wasn't it? Thank you, for playing with me. Because I know I can be a handful when I want to scream.

You were with me when Tiny ran away. I felt you there, giving me wings on my tired feet. And I am so glad that you helped me catch up to her because I don't know what I would do without...

Death's Tales: Chapter 10

I followed Micheal up the stairs, a few steps behind him. I hated how he tried so hard to raise my hopes when I knew from the bottom of my heart that the librarian was going to die. I closed Micheal’s door and leaned against the frame with my arms crossed. The librarian reminded me that I needed to keep my distance from everyone. Even Micheal.

Micheal sat down on his bed. “I told you she’d be alright,” he said as he opened up the laptop.

I tilted my head. “And I told you that everyone dies around me.”

Micheal looked up at me. He stared intently for a minute, making me slightly uncomfortable. I stood up straight but I didn’t uncross my arms. Then he sighed and shook his head. “Your pessimism amazes me, Hades.”

I glared at him. “And your optimism is sadly misplaced.”

Micheal drew a hand through his hair. “Do you want her to die? Is...

I Don't Know (Chapter 7 of Never Really Real)

I couldn't go to sleep. Annabelle and Harlow went home after dinner but I couldn't fall asleep. I kept thinking that maybe Jacob getting into that accident was my fault. I knew the idea was silly because I couldn't have known but... I felt responsible.
    I turned on my side and looked at the clock.
            *12:22
    I was still so mad at Jacob but I didn't feel good that he had gotten hurt. He was my friend. Or maybe he was before he broke up with me. I turned over on my back and stared up at the ceiling. I sighed. I have those glow-in-the-dark stars up there. They're only above the bed and on the wall because I couldn't reach anywhere else. Jacob helped me put them up last year. He thought it was funny that I wanted stars on my ceiling but I liked the idea of having...

It's Me, V-Rose #CharacterQuirks

Okay, so here goes nothing.

1) I am a stickler for grammar. It doesn't matter if it's in a text or a letter or ANYTHING! Sometimes I am okay if it's the way someone writes for a specific purpose but if someone uses pls or LOL or something like that, it bugs me. Or if they forget a period. I've gotten in trouble for correcting my parents too much.

2) I don't like talking to people over the phone. I prefer to talk to people in person over text or phone call. Text, because so much can be left out of a simple text and phone calls because... I don't know. I just don't like talking to people over the phone.

3) I cannot sit around all day. I will get up and clean the kitchen or go randomly say hi to someone. I can sit for hours reading but I have to do something in between books and such.
...

Character Q&A Answers (And a few on me)

Okay, so here are the answers to my character Q&A.

inanutshell

What kind of books does Maya like to read?
    Maya likes to read fiction but she loves fantasy best of all. 
What tropes do you think would be fun to incorporate into the story or the characters?
    I have no idea. Any ideas?
Describe Jacob in 3 words.
    Does "Self-Centered Jerk" count? Well, really I think the best three words would be "a little insecure".

The Midnight One

What is your characters' most embarrassing memory?
    Maya- She ate dog food when she was little. Her parents had a small poodle and she would eat the food. She finally stopped when she was five.
    Annabelle- Once, she was so tired after school, she walked into Harlow's house, said "hi, Mom" and passed out on the couch. Harlow called Maya and asked her what to do. When she woke up, she had no idea where...

Please Refrain from Punching (Today Was Bad)

I want to scream and yell and cry
I want to laugh and live and lie
in the ocean waves
so far away
from me.

I want to explain without talking back
I don't want them to go on the attack
like they do with my sister
when she gets so mad
and yells out loud.

Deep breath
In
Out
Fists at your sides
One more.
In
Out
And ride the ocean tides

Sisters yelling down the hall
Someone pinned against the wall
because they took
something they
shouldn't.

Mother screaming and I see eyes roll
One day, that action will take its toll
when their eyes get stuck
up there where only
anger exists.

Hands tight
Squeeze
Tighter
Don't punch anyone now
Nails sharp
Squeeze tighter
One day people will wow

But first
take your fist,
V,
take your fist
and keep it to
your side
and don't
punch
them
in
the
face

yet.

Never Really Real (Chapter 1)

I thought having my heart broken was supposed to hurt.
    All I felt was numb.
    Annabelle's been trying to tell me it's okay and console me in any way she can. But I don't feel like anything is wrong. I feel like if I run to the door, he'll be standing on the other side, waiting for me. Jacob. But he won't be. Maybe it doesn't feel real because he broke up with me in a text.
           8:07 a.m.
         I'm sorry, but we r not meant to be.
        Don't be mad but I can't be with you
        anymore because we r to different.

I felt like I should be crying or screaming or something, but I couldn't. So I sat in the kitchen chair, motionless. I drew 'I love you' on the table and then crossed it out. One hand was holding up my chin.
    "Do...

A Fun Q&A To Look At (Please) And A Thank You

So... I have decided...to do... *drumroll please* A Q/A!

I know. I've already done one and it wasn't too long ago, either. But here is one, not for me, but for my Characters. I have started several stories, the two main ones being Death's Tales and Never Really Real. I always have fun writing this stuff but sometimes I don't realize something I knew about a character until someone asks me.

For example, today, joking with my sister about Death's Tales, she asked what kind of cake they would like. Right away, I knew that Hades would love Chocolate Gunash and Micheal's would be Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese frosting.

So, ask me anything about any character I have ever written about! I will find you an answer! But I also have to thank so many people who kept/keep me writing these stories no matter how many times I am swept up in the chaos of life.

aditi  ...

The Road to Nowhere

I followed a road that leads to nowhere
On my journey, I found people that don't care
I climbed mountains made from molehills
I crossed seas filled with tears
I came across lands ruled by iron wills
And lands that fed off of your fears
I ended up on a road that leads to nowhere

I sat by warm fires on cold winter nights
Listened to stories of glory and might
I slept on grass, in trees, all day
But I still walked; I had a long way
I gained scrapes and bruises and friends
I'd think I reached the end
Only to start again
And I found nowhere

I sat in the snow that lay at my feet
And listened to my quiet heartbeat
Turning back now would be a death wish
I was defeated; I was finished
How could this be, spoke my mind.
This could not possibly be what is yours to find.
What do you mean,...

You Pushed Me Just A Little Too Far

You know I want to be set free
And race winds for all eternity
That's the person I want to be
And I know that's what you see
So why don't you set me free?

Why keep me here?
What do you fear?
No matter how far, I'll always be near
But you just look and say "Oh Dear."
But I don't want to be here

The silence in this room is suffocating
Am I just an animal you're baiting?
You know I can't stand this waiting
And this is a problem you're creating
While I am suffocating

Being quiet was never my strong suit
And I love hearing the notes of a flute
But in here, you keep me mute
I am a toy; I am cute
Quiet will never be my strong suit

Kiss my lips and tell me you love this heart
When all you're doing is tearing me apart
Break me down to rubble then restart ...

Results for #randomthoughts

Okay, results are finally here and I am so happy that I got so many entries and the pieces were amazing. It was so, so, so hard to judge but in the end, I could only pick three at most per prompt. A few prompts did not get three entries and do not have a third place. Thanks for entering and, without further ado, the winners!

A brief review of the prizes:
    1st place: 3 reviews of your choice, 5 likes of my choice, and a follow (if I'm not already following you).

2nd place: 2 reviews of your choice, 4 likes of my choice, and a follow (if I'm not already following you).

3rd place: 1 review of your choice, 3 likes of my choice, and a follow (if I'm not already following you).

Prompt 1: Jewelry: (Fun Fact: I have a piece of jewelry I always wear. I depend on my watch so much. I can wear different watches but I have...

Death's Tales: Chapter 9

Micheal sat on the bed next to me. “It’s okay. I know you’re scared and worried but I’m sure she’ll be fine.”

I twisted to look at Micheal. “Yes, I am worried and scared and I don’t really want to be around people but, like everyone else, she won’t be fine!”

I kind of yelled the last word. I turned back to face forward and stared down at my hands to rein everything back down. Dig a hole and bury it deep. Don’t let anyone else see. But Micheal took one of my hands in his, holding it tightly.

“Hades, listen to me. Getting mad at yourself will not help anyone. Let’s calm down and we’ll go downstairs to eat and we’ll think about this again when we are calm.”

My head snapped up when he mentioned dinner. “Micheal, I think it’s better if I go home. I don’t want to hurt anyone else, especially now.”

Micheal shook his...

All The Masks I Wear

Every day, I hide behind a hundred masks
And I hide everything I feel.

Every day, I fill with a hundred tasks
So I can hide everything I feel.

One mask for her, the customer asking the price.
One mask for him, trying not to yell but act nice.
One mask for my mother, a smile lighting up my face.
One mask for my father, saying I am happy with the race.

There is a mask for my sister, and another for my brother.
There is one for my friends, and one for the mirror.
There is a cover for the poems that don't see me whole.
There is one for that person, who my life will take its toll.

I wear masks to keep hidden from my haunting past.
I wear masks that I occasionally shed because they could not last.
I wear masks with smiles and masks with frowns.
I wear masks for the homeless and masks for...

Uniform Rant

High school started sounding like fun!
Something new and exciting!
Of course, I'm hoping homework won't be a ton,
Because I need to keep writing.

But they sent us a link, just today,
About what to wear for school.
And now this isn't going my way
Because the uniforms are so not cool.

Knee-high socks and saddle shoes.
It's really not the slightest bit fair.
And we can't even choose
When it comes to pants or skirt wear.

The color navy is okay but what kid wears white.
It's a recipe for disaster,
Because there are always kids digging for a fight.
And tennis shoes help you run faster.

I was so looking forward to my classical learning
And the fun four years ahead.
But disappointment has eclipsed my yearning
And I feel like I should just go to bed.

Defining #Halo

I am supposed to be quiet, just hold my books close.
I am supposed to fight back and not be scared.
But fear is healthy, in the right dose.
I could be anything I wanted if only I dared.

But stay quiet because smart people are shy.
Be perfect but not too much, try-hard.
You're weak but strong if you cry.
I'm smart so I must think everyone else is a retard.

I'm drowning underneath your do's and don't's
Your 'she will's and 'she won't's
I am tired of being shoved in every direction where there is no middle ground.
I want to hide and not make a sound.

Speak slow and clear, but not too much.
Keep quiet but talk to people who know me.
I'm too old for dolls and toys and such.
Don't be afraid to interfere but let it be.

You talk too much, what's wrong with you?
You're so quiet, is there something wrong?
Do...

A Contest From V-Rose #randomthoughts (Closed)

Okay, this is a little out of my normal comfort zone (because I have NEVER done this before) but I am doing a contest! *imagine jazz hands here with a nervous face* Here goes nothing.

So, let's start with the prompts!

Prompt 1: Jewelry:

•     Your character wears a piece of jewelry to remind them why they keep fighting for their cause.
Why? How did they get it? What cause? Be creative with this! I'd love to see what you guys come up with!

Format: Poetry and Prose are both accepted!
Word Limit: 1,500

Prompt 2: Alone:
  •     Start your story with this sentence: There used to be six of us... Now I'm alone.
There are so many different directions you can go with this! Have fun with this one!

Format: Prose
Word Limit: 1,500

Prompt 3: Grand Canyon:
  •     Whenever someone's heart breaks, it breaks a part of the world. This creates fissures, valleys,...

Death's Tales: Chapter 8

Micheal sat there with me for the next hour. We both had class but he didn’t try to get me up. I almost fell asleep, leaning on his shoulder. Micheal grabbed a book from the shelf behind us and I could hear him flipping the pages slowly as he read. One hand played with my braid. I could feel him twining it around his finger over and over again.

Micheal squeezed me gently and my eyes opened. I looked up at him and smiled. Micheal brushed an escaped strand of hair behind my ear and put his book away. “I think it’s time to get going, Hades,” he whispered.

I nodded and laid my head back down on his shoulder.

Micheal laid his cheek against the top of my head. “That wasn’t an invitation to fall back to sleep.”

“I don’t want to go back to class,” I whispered back. My voice seemed loud after the calming silence Micheal and...

Deal (Chapter 6 of Never Really Real)

Annabelle walked with Harlow to her house before they came to mine. I had about twenty minutes before they showed up so I threw my backpack on my bed, laid my phone at the corner of my desk, and began to tackle my homework. Math was done in five minutes because I only had a few problems that I hadn't gotten done in class. I sighed and put all of the notebooks and such away. I pulled my book out of my bag and opened it to my bookmark. I placed my feet on the desk and delved into a fantasy world, content to be there forever.
    But my phone started ringing, and I placed the book on the desk and answered the phone without checking the caller ID. 
    "Hello, how may I help you?" I answered automatically.
    "Maya, can we talk?"
    I almost hung up when Jacob's voice came...

Weird Plan (Chapter 5 of Never Really Real)

Annabelle was late to school. She was never late. Harlow and I were waiting for her in homeroom when we both got a text. It was on the group chat. Jacob had been removed after the breakup but the three of us were still using it.
            8:17 a.m.
        Hi, guys. Sick w/ fever. Mom
        said I had to stay home. Take
        notes for me! xD
    Harlow sighed and tucked his phone in his pocket. I texted a quick reply back and put mine on top of my book. I turned to him. "You take notes for her in History and I'll get her notes from ELA."
    Harlow shrugged. "Sounds like a plan."
    I turned away and slumped down slightly. I grabbed my book and opened it up to my bookmark. I moved the bookmark a few pages back so I could set a small goal. It was fun...

They Stole My Book!

Book by my bed when I fall asleep.
Book in my arms even when I weep.
It's my security, my friend, and my fun.
Every problem I have faced, I have won.
Because I had my book,
everywhere I looked.

But they stole it in the dead of night,
just like the thieves they know they are.
They should've known I'd put up a fight.
Now they can't run far.
Because I caught them once before,
When they stole a book to hide.
But I, the raging storm as crashed through the door
To the lies they keep inside.

They hid my book in the dead of night,
but I know these thieves like brothers.
Now they know how much I fight
They will be punished bt the Mother.
I caught them before and I caught them now,
and it wasn't all that hard.
But the storm I am will wear this crown,
And I am their unlucky card.

They...

Death's Tales: Chapter 7

I woke up early before chipper Mrs. Willow was up singing. I got dressed hurriedly and was ready by the time Micheal showed up. He knocked and I opened the door, calling to Mrs. Willow to let her know I was leaving. I closed the door before I heard her reply and stepped into the sun. I glared up at the sky, shading my eyes.

Micheal looked up with me. “What are we glaring at?” he asked in a harsh whisper.

“I’m glaring at the sun because it’s going to be a hot day,” I said in the same tone.

I put my hand down and started walking. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get to school.”

Micheal grinned. “You don’t say. I happen to be going the same way.” He caught up to me and threw his arm around my shoulders. I didn’t tense up this time and Micheal grinned wider.

“I told you I wouldn’t die.”
...

Death's Tales: Chapter 1

I hate fairytales. All they are good for are stupid hopes and dreams. Hopes and dreams that get crushed by bitter disappointment when one realizes no one cares what happens to you. Of course, I have a reason to hate these stories. My mom left me on a doorstep of a treehouse. A treehouse! She could not even be bothered to leave me at someone's actual door. I was nearly dead when someone found me. Who knows who my father is. But if neither of my parents wanted me, I sure don't need him.

Madam Graecia took me in for a few years and read me all sorts of stories. I was fascinated by warlocks and witches and fairies, which all seemed to lead to trouble and mischief. Then she died. Just left the world in her sleep. I was seven at the time and no one wanted the Death girl. 

They put me in the orphanage, hoping someone would...

Sib War

I felt like I was becoming saddened by all the pieces on here. And I understand that talking about it is good. I have been talking about it a lot at home myself. I just wrote this to bring some happiness to the dashboard. So if anyone needs it, come read a little Sib War.
I am attacked from all sides.
Outnumbered by the boys.
One ally runs and hides
And one prepares to throw toys.
This is sib war, there is no other name
And a sib war isn't just a game.

Us girls are armed with books as swords.
We pretend to be elves with magic wards.
The boys rush at us, ignoring our claims.
But we are not fragile, weak dames.
We step up closer and mee their toy guns.
We will be dead before we will run.

We advance and scream out battle cries.
We are immortal in these skins so no one dies.
Beat them...

F a d i n g

I'm fading away and no one will see

the words on the page cannot lie.

I'm fading away because no one will see

I'm suffocated and I could die.

I have words and I have questions

I want answers because I'm confused.

I cannot speak words or ask questions

Because everyone else feels used.

But this is the way it has always been

I must lock everything down inside.

And this is the way, as it always has been

While everyone ignores when I cried.

I'm fading a  w   a    y    and
                                            no
                                                one
                                                        can
                                                                see

What does everyone thinks of me?

My Day Is Ruined

Wake up,
Drink coffee,
Get dressed
And leave before eight.

Backpack-purse and book
Pencil tucked behind my ear
Take one last, searching look
Nothing else I need is here.

At work, say hi,
Look down at my wrist.
And clench fist as I realize
I forgot.

My watch isn't there,
It's still at home.
And most don't really care
But I feel like I'm missing a bone.

Call Mom,
Ask her to bring it,
When she comes for the kids,
So I will feel complete.

Climb in the car and ask
And hold back unexplainable tears
Behind a cool mask
Because she forgot and face my fears

Now the day is ruined,
From beginning to end,
All because I can't feel complete
Without a watch

Info for Never Really Real! (And Death's Tales!)

So, several people have mentioned they would like me to make a series for Never Really Real and I am all for that! But I do have a question for those of you who want to read more.

Drumroll, please!

Would you like me to update you when I publish a new chapter?!

Yeah, not a real exciting question, but if you would like to be informed, please let me know. And, of course, any questions or helpful corrections you guys may have is greatly appreciated.

If Found, Please Return My Brain

Go retrieve your things from school.
Coronavirus has now a learning tool

Let's work from home!
Can you hear her over chipper voice
Now you can be all alone!
I want to ask if we even have a choice

It's Jumanji Four and a race to the store
But my question is: What the heck for?
At Walmart, they say only take one
And we aren't even supposed to be outside
I feel like a vacuum has sucked all the fun
Out of running through the ebbing tide

It's not like I've ever been to the ocean,
Seen the sea
But this was supposed to be the year I did
But now it won't be
I am fighting with kids over who I assist
This new homeschool will not be missed.
Tell on your neighbors, they say to us
But we're a family of seven so we complain
I miss the whistle of the train, the rocking bus
I am...

Bad Thoughts (Chapter 4 of Never Really Real)

We still had three hours left of school and P.E. was right after lunch. Sadly, I had Danielle in P.E. but no Annabelle. I changed into my uniform as quickly as possible, trying to avoid the snobbish girl at all costs. But, I swear, she was looking for me.
    She sat right next to me on the bleachers while we waited for instructions.
    "Why'd you beat Jacob up?" she asked, her words sweet as sugar.
    "Because I was mad at him." I didn't glance at her but I did watch her out of the corner of my eye.
    "Well, it was mean and reveals how insecure you are."
    I gasped and looked at her. And then I laughed.
    "What?" she cried. "Why are you laughing?"
    I wiped my eyes, were moisture had risen up because of laughing so hard. "Your delusional," I told her. "To think...

Death's Tales: Chapter 6

Micheal offered to walk me home and I accepted. I hesitated at first. He had already helped me a lot and his parents might have worried if they showed up and he wasn’t home. But Micheal convinced me that they wouldn’t worry and walking home with me wasn’t a problem.

“Come on, Hades,” he said, bumping my shoulder. “It must be fun to actually walk with someone for once.”

I turned to glare at him, but the look didn’t have any anger or even annoyance behind it. It was nice to walk with him. He chuckled at me and put his arm around my shoulders. I almost stiffened at the touch but not as much as usual.

Micheal had made his excuse for putting his arm around me even though it scared me.

“It’ll get you used to being touched so you aren’t always seizing up like this.”

I had agreed but barely. The fear of killing someone again was...

Death's Tales: Chapter 2

I went to the library after classes to do some research. I always do, but I ended up staring at a black screen while the librarian worked silently. Madam Graecia told me at a young age that the best way to learn was to look it up. Of course, she meant in a book but... I happened to have a strong dislike for books. And we had computers for a reason. The thing is, I never knew what to look up. I wanted to know who my parents are just to know where I came from but, more than that, I wanted to find out why Death liked to follow me. The library closed at five so I had about an hour before I had to go back to the orphanage. I turned on the screen and logged in and then typed in a random search. 'Micheal Johnson.' Quite a lot came up surprisingly. 

The Boy Who Refuses To Die!...

Sorry Doesn't Cut It

You told me to leave,
said you didn't want to talk.
But when I left I heard you grieve
How I was gone around the clock.

But I do not take things lightly
and to me, you mean each word.
The notification light shines brightly
but your pleas will not be kindly heard.

Sorry
Doesn't
Cut
It

I left and see you type my name
and apologize for the hundredth time.
But my friendship is not a game
and I will do what I will because my life is mine.

I listen to all that troubles you,
all your doubts and fears.
But it is the mean things you do
that makes me see your crocodile tears.

Sorry
Doesn't
Cut
It

I don't like being used and played
like a toy or movie on the screen.
And I have left the grave where I once laid
to crush all the lies I have seen.

You might have tried this on...

Death's Tales: Chapter 5

I turned slowly, taking in the room. Stars covered the walls and the ceiling. I could make out the little dipper, right in the middle of the painted sky. I stepped, almost unconsciously, to touch the walls. To feel them. It was cool to the touch and sent a delighted shiver through me.

Micheal was sitting on his bed, watching me move around the room. I looked at him, smiling widely. “Micheal, this is amazing!”

He smiled back and nodded. “I asked my parents to paint my room like this. I’ve always had my room painted with stars. It helps me sleep.”

I sat next to him on the bed, placing my hands in my lap. I kept looking around, fascinated. There was a black dresser with four drawers and small figurines sat on top of it. There were a few pictures scattered amongst them. Micheal sat in a hospital gown in one of the pictures, his smile lighting up...

Powerful (Chapter 3 of Never Really Real)

I walked into school, hoisting my backpack higher on my shoulder. I could feel the looks coming from every direction. It hadn't been long but Danielle had told almost everyone about her new boyfriend and my lack of. Annabelle raced to meet me in the hallway. She was carrying three bags and a book all at once.
    "Hey," she said, completely out of breath. I took a bag from her to help her carry her things. One was for school, one for dance, and another for basketball. And the book was the one I had lent her last week. I took that back, too. I nodded at her. "Sorry... I left after Jacob showed up... Mom told me to get home and do chores."
    I shrugged. "It's fine." We continued down the hall. I tried to ignore the looks but Annabelle was apparently oblivious to them. I sighed. "Jacob stopped by after you left."
   ...

Self-Centered Jerk! (Chapter 2 of Never Really Real)

When someone finally came to my room, it was Jacob. He just walked in like he owned the place. It was the same way he had walked in here for the past six months but now it felt like an invasion instead of a present. His heads were in his pockets but he took them out as he sat on the edge of my bed.
    "Do you understand why I broke up with you?" he asked.
    I huffed and put my book away. "Because we're too different and not meant to be?"
    He looked at me. He knew I didn't believe that was the reason.
    I sighed. "No. I have no clue why you would break up with me. Especially to go hook up with Danielle."
    He nodded, looking down at his jeans. They were badly ripped at the knee and his scar was showing. The one he had gotten when a...

Death's Tales: Chapter 3

I woke up to light shining through open windows that were supposed to be closed and singing in the hallway. Then I heard Mrs. Willow, the orphanage owner call my name. "Tessa, someone's here to walk with you to school." I sighed and thought about rolling over and ignoring her but... then she'd come in here, all chipper. That was not something I needed to see.

I climbed out of bed and pulled on a pair of tattered, blue jeans and grabbed a random shirt from the floor. I pulled on my combat boots and threw my hair up in a decent ponytail. I walked to the door, my backpack in hand. The other kids (only two) were eating breakfast in the dining room but I had to walk to school instead of taking the bus since the driver hated me. Michael was at the door waiting for me and I rolled my eyes a little. I didn't need an...

I Don't Know

What happens when the words are stuck inside your head?
What do you do if no one hears a single thing you've said?
Who is in charge of who likes who and who falls in love?
Who claims to know when to push and when to shove?
Why am I bombarded with questions when I have all my own?
Why don't people stop pestering me once they are grown?

I can't take it and I hear as if through water
There is a girl inside, and every day I've fought her
I hate the way people ask and I can't say no
Sometimes I can't decipher friend or foe
I can feel me breaking from the pressure deep down
I am bowed and cracked under this heavy crown

Why ask Google if you can ask me?
Why help me by just getting a cup of tea?
What would happen if you tried everything else first?
Who doesn't drink their water...

Death's Tales: Chapter 4

I slumped in the library chair and threw my bag down beside me. Micheal sat down next to me. He was gentler to his bag, placing it on the floor beside his chair before scooting closer to the computer. He logged in and then tapped the keyboard, thinking. He turned to me.

“So,” he said. “What do you want to do?”

I shrugged, still slouched in my seat. “Anything that isn’t fiction,” I answered. “Anything that is not this.”
Micheal bit his lip. Then he spun to face me fully. “Who was Madam Graecia?”
I sighed and closed my eyes tight. I took a deep breath. There was a flood of emotions rising up against me and I took another breath to calm the tsunami. But the wave wouldn’t fall back. I clenched my teeth and dimly heard Micheal in the background. But his voice was just a murmur in the face of the tidal wave threatening to drown me.
...

What Now?

My voice is stuck, lodged in my throat
I am drowning in this brown, dirty moat
It surrounds my prison of beauty and riches
It's perfect, a game with no glitches
But I cannot escape the castle even if I tried
A million times I've almost, very nearly died
And I didn't even make it past the bridge between here and there
And all I can do is sit and stare
Out a window that has thick iron bars
Sometimes, at night, they even block out the stars
And they stuff me in dresses and heels and money
But all I can think about is when I start running
When I break free, no one will catch me
But I'm willing to take that chance
Because it is the only way to dance
Without all the rules and regulations weighing me down
Without having to stoop under that crown
And I will bow to nothing in this land
Freedom and...

V-Rose Q&A Answers! So Come One, Come All!

Here they are. The answers you have been awaiting! The Answers to V-Rose's Q&A!

Sanjana Sunilkumar

1. How old are you now?
I am fourteen years old.
2. What do you think about love?
I think that love is an amazing thing that I want to experience beyond the love of family and friends. At my school, we had to do a module to decide "What is Love?" so I learned a little more about it this year. But I think love is something everyone needs and I want to experience it to the fullest.
3. What is your favorite book?
I have no idea. I love so many books that it is too hard to pick one, two, or even twenty favorites. But I love Ranger's Apprentice and if I could pick an entire series, it would be Ranger's Apprentice. 
4. Who is your favorite actor and actress?
Chuck Norris. I love Texas Ranger and the actor is awesome!...

The Love I Have #1stChallange

This  sounds silly like everything I say
Despite the harm they cause, I love books
They can turn bad into good and night into day
And books remind me it's not all about how one looks

Loving me is not easy and anyone will agree
Although who I am is not what they see
I want love like they describe in every story
I could care less about the fame and glory

Books remind me that deep down, I am not the rest
Even though I know that because I can ace every test
They never seem to be able to do the same as me
But books tech me that's not who I have to be

I can be the warrior who fights for love and not fame
In this world today, I do not have to be the same
And books remind me of that everyday unlike society
Books taught me not to go down quietly

So forget...

Stupid Candy Hearts

Candy, chocolate, roses, and red
And "I love you" that card said
But no one cares where I am on this day
Because no one likes taking my way
But that's okay, though candy hearts say "Be mine"
No one's gonna come ask to be my Valentine
And I sit in this quiet forest of love
But there is no light coming in from above
And I am alone while everyone else has been claimed
But no one gave me roses they painstakingly put in a frame
So I eat the candy hearts softening in my hand
I move them around to see where my fingers land
"Kiss me," it says but it doesn't mean it at all
And I'm sitting here while everyone else is having a ball
I eat it, crushing it between my teeth
All it does is move me beneath
And I find one that says "TTYL"
And vaguely wonder why it rings a bell
And...

It Still Doesn't Seem Real But I Have 100 Followers!

Okay. Wow! I have no idea how I managed to get a hundred followers but somehow, it happened. So, here I am talking to you about it. I'm not one to talk-talk-talk the whole time over how grateful I am so I'll just tell you guys Thank You So Much! I will be forever grateful that I found this website to write on.

I know people sometimes do contests or Q&A's when they hit a mark like this so I will do a Q&A. I may do a contest later on but for now, I'll stick to simple Question & Answer. Ask me anything you'd like. (Within reason, of course.)

Now, to list all of the wonderful people who got me to this...

Red_Rose_Blooming
Interestingme
H.Degg
AJ - Izzy
Ryder
Catlover
Upsidownpenguin
hero2a11
ajamwal
ARJazzz
kyra J
Iluminara
ava09
Sabine of the Galaxy
Mary Wall
WtW Politics Club
Bookworm101
parachutes_the_idiot
Reaza
Charisse Marison
Wisp
buddingauthor
Rachel Bryan
Aspiring Author
Maryam...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

Broken

One day, a little girl came up to me
And she asked, "Am I broken?"

I had no idea who she was or where we were
And as for her question... I wasn't sure
I bit my lip and looked at the little girl before me
And it was amazing what, in just one look you can see
Her blonde-brown hair waved in the slight breeze
And she asked her question again, adding 'please'.

And I told her exactly what I felt was the truth
What every girl should know.
So I told her...

What is broken but a word to hurt and mar
Every battle you have fought has left a scar
And you come to me. Your mask is cracked.
But, Darling, you are showing us what we lack
And your mask, this second skin, is crumbling down
It's tumbling to ashes to coat the ground
And you stare at me with pain-filled eyes
You have never let...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

Broken

One day, a little girl came up to me
And she asked, "Am I broken."

I bit my lip and looked at the little girl in before me

What every girl should know.
So I told her...

You have never...

Couldn't Make It Home

"Come on!" she cried to the rest. "Hurry!" Her wings fluttered quickly behind her and her voice was rather high pitched. Many found her to be mildly annoying but inside her lay a heart as strong and as kind and as big as the sky above her. She and the other fairies were making their yearly migration to the home plain. There were only a few trees there but it was cold and perfect for a Snow Fairy like her and the others. They had lost several to the humans below them but soon many were going to make it home. And so many were already there. She couldn't wait to get home! She was almost giddy with excitement and she kept stopping to tell the others to go faster.

"Fly faster then, Miranda! We could go faster if you didn't keep stopping!" one fairy yelled from the group.

Miranda giggled and sped up to the front of the group....

St. Valentine's Day Dance

Cowards.

They were cowards. Couldn't even get up the nerve to dance. And they were the ones who really wanted a school dance. The girls weren't even getting up to dance. Not even with their St. Valentine's dates. It was just me, Jayla, Mary, and Racheal out on the gym floor, acting like maniacs who don't know how to dance. We don't but... who cares. We were having fun. And at least we were trying to dance. No boy had asked me to dance, and I kind of doubted one would. After all, what did I say? Cowards, every one.

I sat down as the song ended, my heart still pumping along to the rhythm and my feet as sore as I'd ever felt them. Racheal sat down next to me. Mrs. Jacob's voice came over the microphone. "Boys' choice." I sighed and leaned back for a moment. It was hot in the gym and I could feel my hair...

A to Z

Fiery eyes stood in front of the class, driving the class into a frenzy. Strawberry locks framed those eyes and delicate eyebrows arched above the flames as if to avoid being burned. Her heels clicked across the floor and she gave a passionate explanation on why the students should be allowed to have their phones in class. She did not stutter, and she did not stumble. Her hands flew at the right moments and glided when the words fit the motion. The argument was well crafted and, as well as being very well written, it was also simple enough that the seventh-grade class could understand. This girl was Lyrica Sandre Luther and her parents were both... well, the town pretty much shunned her parents. Lyrica had struggled during her childhood to find friends, but she was now the most popular girl in the school; known for her words, temper, and voice of an angel.

Another girl sat in the back...

Writing Streak Week 2 Day 3

I'd be on a bus home right now if I had been in school today. I would stare out the window and make up stories to the music I was listening to. I can't do that now. I am distracted by people talking and the click-click-clicking of my hand typing this sentence. People are asking me questions constantly. "I need help with math. What is...?" "I'm bored. What can I do?" All I want to do is go look at the sky and write something in my head. I could but my ground lying options are limited to dirt and asphalt. The window is blindly bright again today but the tree seems taller for some reason. Is it possible I have been here so long that the tree has grown? No. I couldn't have been. My eyes hurt. I've been staring at a screen all day and then the sun is even brighter than the screen. I should go lay...

Writing Streak Week 2 Day 2

The light is blinding me as it glints at me through the window. It's kind of hard to see anything for a moment when I look away.

But I don't want to look away.

The clouds take up most of the window but I can see hints of cold river blue. Sometimes I wonder, if we could walk through the sky, would it feel like those rivers they find in forests and abandoned villages? Would it feel icy cold and soak you through? Would the clouds move past you slowly like little fish? Is that why their air is so thin up there? Is it because you are really trying to breathe in a river?

These thoughts and questions are overwhelming me. After a day filled with homework and my siblings and Zoom meetings, I am tired. And my tired mind is making up scenarios for me to dream about.

There is the top of a tree waving gently outside...

Writing Streak Challenge Week 2

Writing Streak Week 2 Day 1

I look up from homework. And constant bombardment of text arguments. The window is large and I find myself looking out of it and into the world beyond. It's a business window and outside there is a car. Some might call it brown but it is dulled and ancient gold. This Trailblazer stands with its head held high as it sits there under a canopy. Wind buffets it from time to time but it does not lower its head. My eyes shift and turn up. The sky is blue. But it's so easy to call it blue. It's not. It's the same color as the rich turquoise found in the New Mexican ground. In the distance, a few clouds dot the sky. I take a deep breath and close my eyes. A car starts up in the garage and the smell of diesel invades my lungs. Across the street, people are getting gas from the Speedway. It used to be...

Huntress Chapter 1: Ellesmera

I wanted to rush in as the fire consumed them but I couldn't. Someone was holding me back and the fire wouldn't have let me in any way. The fire roared louder than the screams. It took them; it took a part of me with it.

I woke up in a cold sweat and I washed my face with lukewarm water. I looked up catching a glance of myself in the mirror and saw a young woman looking back at me. I grimaced, hating my face. It looked like my mother's face with the high cheekbones and sharp green eyes. My hair was midnight black like my father's had been. I kept it long to make sure I looked nothing like him. It was difficult to see their features on my face. Seeing them was almost like feeling them haunt me as they did in my dreams.
    Dawn was drawing swirls across the sky...

I Am The Wolf!

Mirror, Mirror true and tall
Who's the smartest of them all
Not me?
What a shame.
But wait.
Haven't I already played this game?
Have you not guessed who I am?
What skin I wear beneath?
Why I dress like a lamb...
But I have such vicious teeth.

I can act a simple part
I can show that I am smart
But I do not show much more than that
What I am is not a known fact
You tear at my wool but can't find thin skin
I play by the rules and I still win
You throw me out when I am not enough
But I am not only smart but tough
I fell at the feet of the wolves
And now they follow me
I am the Alpha with these wolves
Now I have changed to we

I ask a new question now
Mirror, Mirror, a seeing all
Which Wolf rules us all?
Me?
Don't tell.
I...

Catch Her Soon, Please

She couldn't tell where she was going; she was spinning
If this was a game, she could tell that she wasn't winning
But she held on to the one thing she could hold above the rest
She could forget to study and freak out and then ace every test
But no one saw why she held on so tightly, her hands torn
Why she climbed the flowering fine, feeling every thorn
She was the oldest and they depended on her to do it all
And they saw her smile so they didn't see as she began to fall

She helped everyone with homework and kept track of the day
And when anyone asked, she said she was doing well; she was okay
But she wasn't and anyone looking could see that, though no one looked
And she refused to cry-to yell- when they didn't like what she cooked

She wasn't a slave.
No, her parents loved her
But the kids...

Queen of Thieves

Once upon a time, I was a queen
And once upon a time, Mama said I could dream
But she's dead now and Daddy left
And once they were gone, I turned to theft
I knew it was wrong, I knew it
But when it came to dying, my head said "Do it"
And I only steal the little I need
And amongst this group, I take the lead

I know it's hard fighting for your life
I know some of you are afraid to put down that knife
It's kept you safe for now
But there is a new ruler
And she says we must bow
And keep her coffers fuller
And we won't, I promise that
We are Warriors, we are wild cats
Even if she entices men with gold
We are the few that remain bold
And we'll fight if it is the only way to stay
Alive
That's our drive
We keep going
Even with weakness...

Sticks and Stones

I've always been tough,
always had a thicker skin
I could run and play rough
And I could sometimes win

But that was then, before these years
That was back when I could cry my tears
But now I have grown older and gone to a school
Where everyone who went there before was cool
But I was new and this was 7th and 8th grade
I was shy so I wielded my intelligence like a blade
And maybe that's what pulled me away from the rest
Maybe if I'd first tried, I could have passed their test

I was just like them inside.
I was tough, but I would hide
In my skin where they couldn't see me
But they locked me in a cage and I couldn't get free

So now that I've been trapped by them and my own smarts
I guess this is where the road to my life and its story starts
I am not...

I'm Done.

My broken heart and shattered BFF's can wait
This meeting is long overdue and you're late
You lied and said I had a crush on him
You thought this off of an 'unexplainable' whim
But you know how I hate that boy
And it was all just a ploy
To distract me from the way I felt about you
How you made me feel like nothing every day
But there is nothing-nothing- you can do
To sway things to go just your way

I'm tired of all those hateful things you said
And you said it was silly that I always read
But you were hurting us every time you spoke
And each word you said, I let it soak
It lingered in the air and I let it
And now I'm glad I did, 'cause I'll bet it
You don't know how to treat friends or the people who care
And you are a teenager who does not know...

Solidarity

Well, I Got To Try Homeschool And Be A Teacher Because Of The CoronaVirus

School's closed so we do everything from my dad's work
And their's five kids so under every phrase, a fight may lurk
But we worked together, we put our age and differences aside
And we're a large family but we're all here; nobody's died
And we have three computers to do homework for all five
And that's hard when it's peace for which we strive

But we're doing it, we have a schedule and P.E. for the bored
And when we get to the shop, we all know where breakfast is stored.
And lunch comes from the schools, so I see a few friends
And even though it will, it seems like homework will never end
And you may not know this, but I've always wanted to try homeschool
And to be honest, it's not what I would describe as cool
Because as the oldest I still have to act like the teacher for the rest
And they always have...

Huntress Chapter 4: Note

The Captain pulled me out of the room and into the one assigned to me. I yanked my hand out of his grasp. "What?" I snapped.
    "Has anything happened that may have been harmful to the Princess's safety?" he asked.
    I rolled my eyes. "No. If anything had, I wouldn't be keeping it to myself."
    Liam narrowed his eyes. "The King and Queen may trust you to take care of the Princess if only because everyone in that town claims you can be trusted, but I don't. I don't trust the way you act or anything you say. The first thing you wanted was the money." He took a step closer and stood over me. "I. Don't. Trust. You."
    I tilted my head to look up at him. "I am here to do a job. Yeah, I want the money but I will not cheat my way to getting it."
   ...

The Luck in Finding Destiny #gbluck

Luck is what makes destiny happen
Like a simple butterfly's wings snappin'
Open
And that wind carries to you a note
And it helps you decide with what it wrote
Destiny is not luck if that's what you think
Luck is something that alters a day in the span of a wink
But destiny is what you've been moving toward your entire life
Whether it's to animals or a butcher's knife
And destiny is tied to luck the way pies are tied to fruit
And luck is finding a treasure chest of loot
Where everyone looked
But it's what you took
That makes destiny

Luck comes from simple things as fickle as the wind
Good can come from that terrible person who sinned
But destiny is the choices you make
Even when you claim it's up to fate
And destiny is a quiet prodding to lead you
But to find it, this is what you must do
You must take...

Huntress Chapter 2: Aspen

I closed the door behind me and stopped dead as I looked at the room they had given me. Compared to the rest of the castle, it must have been considered plain but to me it was... It was more than I'd ever had. The bed was big enough for three people to sleep without ever realizing the others were there. And the room was bigger than my entire cabin! There were a brown dresser and a vanity on one side of the room. There was a huge open window with dark blue curtains that reminded me vaguely of the night sky. Next to the bed was a huge closet, empty except for a shift and a dozen hangers. I closed the closet and sat on the bed. This job could be interesting.
    I got up after several minutes, deciding to go see the princess. If she was anything like the Royals in the throne room, she might...

Huntress Chapter 3: Dinner

Aspen had found a black dress in her closet and I finally said I'd wear it because it was either that or a pink dress. I pulled in on and scowled. It went to my feet and was very form-fitting. It was only slightly tighter than my normal clothes but it felt strange not wearing pants. Aspen pulled the closet door open and smiled.
    "Stunning," she said. "You look beautiful."
    "I feel awful," I replied, looking down at myself.
    Aspen rolled her eyes. "It's not that bad. And it's only dinner."
    I was about to respond when there was a knock from the bedroom door. Aspen turned. "Who is it?" she called.
    There was a mumbled reply and Aspen stepped forward to open the door. I reached in front of her and pulled the door open. It was the Captain and I rolled my eyes, stepping away from the door....

Queen of Thieves: I'm Not Done Fighting

Every hour felt like a day and every day felt like a life
And the only reason Hayena hadn't stabbed me with a knife
Was because she thought I would be useful, and I don't know how
I was the Queen of Thieves! I would never bow.
But she brought me news, every day, of every thief she caught
Because she knew I couldn't be bought
But she had me, Hayena knew she did, with her threat to kill
And it was a threat she had yet to fulfill
But every thief she caught and planned to execute
It was me she might as well had tried to shoot
Because they were my thieves, my family, my friends
And Hayena was planning for them to all meet their ends
Unless I caved and told them to stop fighting, to give in
But that would condemn all the same; it might as well be a sin

Hayena came to visit me...

Dakota Rose

"Leave me alone!" I yelled into the trees and sat on a stump with my head in my hands.
    "Why?" he asked, sneaking out of the trees.
    "Because.... because...."
    He sat on the ground next to me. "Why?"
    I looked up at him. "I don't know why."
    "The world is dangerous sometimes, but sometimes all it does is hurt. I want to help but if you won't let me I can't do anything."
    "But what can you do?" I asked my voice a whisper as his eyes pierced mine. I couldn't tear my eyes away.
    Then he kissed me.

"
Ugh," Dakota Rose muttered. "It can not end like that!"
    "Why not?" The voice came from the person on the other side of the bed. A boy was sitting there; a cute boy but still a boy.
    "Why are you...

Ashes, Ashes, #fire,fire

"Ashes, ashes we all fall down"
It was in the fire I earned my crown
The crown was mine
And mine alone
But the flames rose
Searing flesh, eating bone
I screamed and screamed and cried my tears
I try not to voice my fear
I see the flames feasting on my skin
I will lose, the flames will win
How I wished for ice and cold
How I wanted for a gentle hold
The flames held me in a tight embrace
Its smokey breath kissed my face
I screamed again, again, again
"Please," I begged. "Please let it end."
I do not remember much more
I just see hands reaching through the door
With the last of my strength
The last breath in my lungs
I reached for the hand 
And felt the flames recede
No longer was I to be feed
The world had dark edges 
The dark dominated the light
"No light!" I cried
No light meant...

Queen of Thieves: My Life For Theirs

I looked up at the castle, all the city's thieves at my side
After this, the thieves beside me might not have to hide
I took a deep breath, a horrible feeling curled in my gut
We were here to save a mother thief and her child, but...
This was also an attack to prove to the Queen how we play
We needed to prove to her that thieves would not go away

And within moments we had infiltrated the Queen's castle
We were her problem, her plague, her main hassle
And we'd never bow to the one who tried to drive us out
And walking through the halls, I swore our whispers were shouts
But they weren't and we made it to the vile dungeons deep below
Seeing the thief inside the cage made my heart calm and slow

She was alive and awake and we could easily pick the lock
But as we walked out, a younger thief...

The Eclipse: Chapter 1

No one knew who I was. I was invisible in the way that people ignored me, pretended I wasn't there, and that was the way I liked it. Usually. Not today. The world was dying and no one would listen, not to me. Yucca wouldn't listen to me, told me I was crazy. He was the only one I thought would believe me. I grabbed at the nearest person's sleeve and tried to get their attention. 
    "Whada want, girl? I ain't got no money." The man pulled out of my grip as I tried to explain. He walked off, staggering drunkenly, muttering, "Crazy. Wish these kinds of people would give up and die."
     I fell to my knees and willed myself not to cry, not to let the tears slip out. No one saw as the sun slipped under the horizon for the last time, the rays red and bright in the sky. The moon was crying. I...

One Week (Part Two to St. Valentine's Day Dance)

Dear Journal of Random Thought,                                                                  Entry of February 15 by Kayle Smith
    People say love is indescribable. I'm only fourteen so I wouldn't know, but yesterday, Daniel asked me to dance. And then he said he liked me. I've only been at Lewis Academy for three years but he always acted like I was weird because I was smart. I don't know how to respond to anything like that but... he asked me to be his Valentine. I want to say yes, except books have taught me that with young love comes pain. But they also taught me to take chances.

So what do I do?
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Daniel approached me Thursday morning after the St. Valentine's Dance. I was at my locker, grabbing my supplies for...

The New Guy In Stars of Sky #ScurvyCur

The Eighth grade class of Stars of Sky Middle was very peculiar. When the students had enrolled in school at the age of five. Mrs. Astonamy placed them all in the same class. It was a small class, only twelve students, but the students were an interesting bunch. In the class, Aries was the leader. She was the only girl on the Flag Football team and the best pitcher on the softball team. Taurus was incredibly organized for a boy and knows the date, place, and time of all Aries games. Though she was nice to him, she didn't realize the boy liked her. He'd tell her, though. On July 18th at about 7:30 at night. That was the plan. That gave him six months to prepare. There was a meeting that all the eighth-grade class had to go to now, for the Student Council. Gemi and Niya, the Gemini twins, were already at the gym and had been there...

Queen of Thieves: Raid The Castle

The Orders of Queen Hayena
            Should these rules be disobeyed,
            the consequence shall be imprisonment
            or death by hanging.

• If anyone sees a thief, report and do it quick
  • Report them if they so much as steal a stick
  • Guards are authorized to kill thieves on sight
  • And they shall be publicly killed if they put up a fight
  • Beware anyone who looks dirty or might steal
  • Turn them in and we'll make a deal
  • Any thieves who come forward of their own free will
  • Might be allowed to continue living still
These are the orders of the queen and she means every word
But her orders against us are simply absurd
Thieves, she means to kill us and make us die out
And for that, I must give her a shout
I mean, it's not easy getting rid of us, those running for our lives
And that's a deep cold river of achievement where she dares to...

Huntress Chapter 1: Ellesmera

I wanted to rush in as the fire consumed them but I couldn't. Someone was holding me back and the fire wouldn't have let me in anyway. The fire roared louder than the screams. It took them; it took a part of me with it.

I woke up in a cold sweat and I washed my face with lukewarm water. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw a young woman looking back at me. I grimaced, hating my face. It looked like my mother's face with the high cheekbones and sharp green eyes. My hair was midnight black like my father's had been. I kept it long to make sure I looked nothing like him. 
    Dawn was drawing swirls across the sky and I looked back at the bed wistfully. No more sleep for me today, I was expected at the castle for a request from the royal family themselves. I braided...

Jenevieve Rose: Part Two

Daniel stared at his daughter silently. She was so beautiful. Her black hair framed her light-skinned face and she was smiling slightly. Amaryllis paced the room, her shoes clicking softly on the tiled floor. Amaryllis rarely cried but she could feel the tears at her eyes. The Fairie Sisters and Daniel had known Jeneveive Rose might fall into a coma like this at some point in the near future. All of them, though, had hoped that future would never arrive.
    Corella sat right beside Jeneveive Rose, her hand clutching the unconscious girl's. "Come on, Rose. Come back to us. We need you baby." Her voice was sore from talking to Jeneveive Rose for hours every day for days. There were lines running down her face from all the tears she had cried. Jeneveive Rose didn't move and Corella started crying again. Magdala pulled her to her feet and hugged her sister. Daniel stood up, his chair falling backward and making Magdala jump.
 ...

A Signature Capability

Cunning Girls

He flourished on a signature capability to make my head hurt. It didn't matter what I did; he still came up to me and started crackin' jokes. Seriously, I would have hit him in the head with my book but people were watching. His joke of the day:... Oops, forgot. Or wasn't listening. Or reading. I thought about playing sick tomorrow but no one would fall for that and I had a major test in English. Maybe I'd hit him in the head tomorrow. And then I'd-
   Da da da

Our stupid doorbell was going off and I was the only one home. I could pretend I wasn't home... The thought intrigued me but the doorbell kept going off. I moaned and rolled to the edge of my bed. Come on, people. Can't a girl read without being interrupted? I opened the door and nearly smacked him in the head right there. 
    He ducked, saving...

Days #Worldtruths

There are days when I don't know anything about tomorrow; then there are days I just want to write something so that way I don't have to worry about tomorrow.

Jeneveive Rose #moderntwist

The doctor approached the grief-ridden man slowly. The man had just lost his wife, who had died during childbirth. The doctor hated to give him more bad news but the information was important to the wellbeing of his child. 
    "Sir?" the doctor started. The man looked up and the doctor noticed his red-rimmed eyes and his face was no longer as clean-shaven as it used to be. The doctor took a deep breath. "Sir, we have found out something about your daughter. She has some kind of problem. Her body and mind are formed well but she has been repeatedly falling into a coma. We have medication for this sort of thing but it is unlikely that the medicine will work after about the age of sixteen. After so long taking it, her body may become immune to it."
    The man just looked blearily at the doctor. The doctor sighed and pulled a small notepad out of his pocket. "Is...

Queen of Thieves: Prepare for War

A Letter to Queen Hayena
From Jayla Kaelem--The Queen of Thieves

You beg answers to questions I cannot offer
You beg the kingdom to fill your coffer
But should I refuse, what can you do
I am a thief, I don't listen to you

I've told you before, Queen-of-this-Land
I will not give up my food to pay for the rings on your hand
And we are the ones who will end your reign, Queen
We are the unwashable stain, your bane, I mean
And you starve our children, the ones we love and care for
We need to eat to live, but you've closed that door
So we have no choice but to fight back, as a family, together
We are thieves, and only together are we better
Than you
And we take our cue
We rise up and we are here to take our stand
Queen, this is our land
So either get out or give us what...

Shooting Star: A Poem For My Friend

I can see the way the world is crushing her,
I see her slowly tearing at the seams
I can tell the world is shushing her
It's saying to ignore her dreams

And she's just a girl like any other, I suppose
But there have been those who sat and those who rose
I want her to be the one who gets up and walks anyway
I want her to be the one to smile on any day

And so I wrote this just for her, and maybe she'll find hope
And hopefully, she'll find a way to cope

So, I'm telling you how perfect you are, tears and all
And I know you can get back up every time you fall
And the world may try to bend us to its will
But in this racing world, you are always still
And I know you don't know how to tell your parents that you're sad
But, when you look...

A Map To Find Love

You know that love will strike at random times
It can strike even when the clock chimes
It's chiming a death song
It's telling you this love is wrong
But how do you know?
You've never felt its singing, its flow
But you swear upon blood that you feel it
And you are so dumb, you kneel to it
And it feeds you lies like sweet candy
But you're in deep water where the bottom's sandy
And you still believe every lie
Even as you drown and die

They tell you love is the best
But you've never passed the test
They don't look at you like you're pretty
And you know, 'cause you're witty
And smart
But they don't see your heart
'Cause you're not cool
You like school
And you're a fool
At least, that what they tell you
And then what do you do
You fall in love
But it is too far above
Above your reach ...

Death's Tales: Chapter 1

You know what...? I hate fairytales. All they are good for are stupid hopes and dreams. Dreams and hopes that get crushed by bitter disappointment when you realize that no one cares what happens to you. Of course, I have a reason to hate these stories. My mom left me on a doorstep of a treehouse. A treehouse! She could not even be bothered to leave me at someone's actual door. I was nearly dead when someone found me, people say. Who knows who my father is. I am pretty sure I don't need him if neither of my parents wanted me. Madam Graecia took me in for a few years and she read me all sorts of stories. I was fascinated by warlocks and witches and fairies seemed to lead to trouble and mischief. And then she died. Just left the world in her sleep. I was seven at the time and no one wanted the Death girl. 

They...

Defeating The Villain

Does anyone else see the way I am being used?
Does anyone see when I return broken and bruised?
No, of course, they do not, because I was not used
And it is through life, I have been bruised
And I'm going to fight this war of mine till I win
And I always fight back, I am not made of bending tin
And I can ponce like the mountain lion I am
The world will be quiet and when I strike, I leave the lamb
I fight the lions who prey on the flock
I am the key that opens the lock
And you can be, too, if only you tried
But wait too long, and surely you've died.
My sword at my side is there to be wielded
And in this life, no one is completely shielded
So wait for the warrior to defeat you, or run
Whatever you do, your game is done
You are finished
Your...

My Throne #r&scontest

Tick tock goes the clock
Matching time when I walk
To my throne, to my crown
To raise what was dust in the ground
I cannot deny to you
That what I said was true
The dust I let rise
It the equivalent to your lies
So do not tell me that I lied
Because for you, I would have died
I would have used my last breath
I would have faced the final test
But you pushed me into the burning fire
Where all I could feel was the flames rising higher...
You drowned me in your fake love
You refused to let me see the skies above...
And now...
Now the throne is mine
They bow,
You should respond in kind
Because from the flames,
I learned your games
And from your sea
I found my own "free"
Free from you,
and him,
and her, 
and them.
All I had was seconds before I was gone
But I...

I Am

Said I couldn't shoot
Said I was broken
Claimed I've never spoken
Claimed I am mute

But here I am! I am speaking
A broken faucet, I am leaking
And the sun sets and rises
And you hate surprises
But here I am speaking clear
And I'm not saying "I Love You, Dear."
You handed me roses like you loved me
But under darkness, I feel you shove me
Bruises line me where no one sees
But I am the slave you won't set free
And maybe it's a death wish
When you beg for one kiss
I speak
I am not weak
I've spoken
I am not broken
I am a toy never thrown
A trumpet never blown
And now I talk
I am the Fox
The Wolf
The Owl
The Nightmare
The Truth of Me
I Am Speaking

When I am Queen

I was queen when no one was looking
I knew every scheme you had cooking
And you didn't see me or maybe you did
But you didn't care, but for me, everything slid
Into place
This is my base

I was queen when the world turned away
And I was queen for all of that day
And soon I will rule again and you will see
This was who I was meant to be
I am quiet, but do not make the mistake that I cannot hear
I know all your secrets, all your lies dear
'Cause you said I was reading
And that was you leading
But I was preparing to take the reins
Listening to secrets was what one gains
And your kingdom will one day be mine
Now simply isn't the right time

Trust me though, I will win this game
And your life will never be the same
When I am queen

Writer's Block #quickrhymes2

I can start my story any way I choose
When I am writing, I do not lose
And Words do not stop coming
Inside there is this insistent drumming
Telling me to write

I like once upon a time
Or even long, long ago
But it all falls into place with rhyme
Such a soothing flow
I forget what I want to say
But the words are already here
There will always be a way
To move past your writing fear

The words seem quiet...
They are brooding
This silence...
It is not soothing
Mu pencil wants to write, to speak
But the voice in my head is weak
It does not know what to do
But it truly wants to speak to you
Shove down a word on paper
Yes, write
It does not have to be the best
But we fight
Fight for our words
Fight to be heard
You cannot edit a blank page
Do not put...

Queen of the Laundry

Black and white on top of the laundry
She sits and sleeps like a regal queen
And you can find her there at midnight
And only to the other cat is she mean
And she glares when her load must be washed
And she sits atop her laundry loss
And she gets up only to eat at night
But during the day, she is nowhere in sight
And then when you creep out the door
Her green eyes rise up from the floor
She sees every move
The queen of the laundry

When the basket is empty, she is still there
And sometimes, if you disturb her, she'll glare
And once in a while, she'll sleep on my bed
But she loves the laundry to lay her head
And so we hear growling at the other cat
And we sigh when we find a gifted bat
But what can we do?
She's the queen of the laundry

We give our...

The Perfect Heroine

I'm not perfect...
So why do I have to be?
I'm not perfect...
But that's what they see
And it's not as if I showed them the truth
I smile like I'm in a picture booth
Happy
I'm happy
Even though this act is starting to feel trappy

And they see me as honest and secure
If there's a disease, I'll find the cure

But I'm not perfect...
But that's not how it looks
And I'm not perfect...
I'm like the girls in those books
I want to race and climb towers
I want to be someone with powers
Misunderstood
But I'm misunderstood
And see me? I kinda wish they would

And they can tell I like stories but never ask why
They never assumed that I like to fly

Take chances
LIke wind dances
And the sky is screaming
You say I'm dreaming
And you can pretend I am broken
But you haven't heard a word I've spoken
And...

The Luck in Finding Destiny #gbluck

Luck is what makes destiny happen
Like a simple butterfly's wings snapping
Open
And that wind carries to you a note
Luck is something that turns a day in the span of a wink
And destiny is tied to luck the way pies are ties to fruit
Where everyone looked
But it's what you took
That makes destiny

But destiny is the choices you make
Even when you claim it's up to fate
You must take...

Forgive And Make the Enemy Mad #oddsbodikins

"Hannah Chavez, are you trying to stick out like a sore thumb or is that normal?" Behind me stood Naomi Smith, a girl who hated my guts. Truth be told, the feeling was mutual.
    I slammed my locker shut and turned to face her. "I'm the sore thumb here? I thought you tried to paint your face to resemble a clown this morning." I smiled and walked down the hall to fourth period. I could still kind of see Naomi glaring at me. Hannah: 1; Naomi: 0.
    Naomi had hated my guts ever since the day we started middle school. I was one of the only people that did not think she was the best, most deserving person on the planet. And so she hated me and I hated her. She insulted my looks almost daily and I did nothing to change my appearance. I had black hair all the way down to my butt and...

Official Outcasts (Part Two to 'Couldn't Make It Home')

Miranda was falling, falling, falling. She had given up and she was just falling to her death. She spun through the air as a gust of wind tore at her and she caught sight of a burning fire below her. Ice spikes, she thought. I'm going to die in a fire. This day can't get worse. Then she rethought that. The day could get worse. She wasn't dead yet. Miranda began to fight again as the heat rose to touch her skin. It burned and she felt her wings begin to melt in some places and smoke in others. Her breathing was coming in gasps and bursts and the heat had become unbearable. The human around the fire took no notice of her and she kept falling.

And then she wasn't.

Something had a hold of her but Miranda could still feel the heat. She just went limp as a doll. Hopeless, that's what this was. Hopeless. It didn't matter...

Becoming A Which

She wasn't stupid. Reyena saw the way boys looked at her. And she hadn't changed. Not really. She had started wearing more fashionable clothes, sure, but she hadn't changed. But it bugged her the way they kept looking at her. Just walking down the street made her self-conscious. Maybe this is a bad idea, she thought. She shouldered the handbag hanging from her arm and tried to avoid everyone's gaze. Slowly, steadily, she made it to Batinwood Park. She sat down on a bench and smoothed down the miniskirt she was wearing. She placed her hands in her lap and waited.

From every corner of the park, girls began walking toward her. Her feet were glued to the floor and she almost felt like she couldn't move. She began to breathe quicker. This was a bad idea, she thought. Terrible, awful. Yasmine came to the front of the group and smiled wickedly. Yasmine knew what she was doing....

Hate and Tears and Will #apoemaday26

I know you don't see it
You're just playing with your bow
And that insult that you shot
That was pretty low
Your arrow hit me in the chest
And that shot... that shot was your best
But it was aimed at me
And don't you hate it when I live
Despite every attempt to kill me
Hate it how my wound seems to heal
And there's no scar where that arrow used to be

And I hate it when you hide
And I hated when you lied
So one night while you slept
I climbed out of bed and around I crept
And I found your bow
Hanging right above the door
And I spend hours making an arrow
Out of hate and tears and will
And I worked hard to make an arrow
That will leave you lying still

As I worked, I recall
You called me worthless
And as I work, deeper I fall
But I am...

Super Girls: Chapter One (Jaylean's Perspective)

“Dakota, over here,” I called from across the cafeteria.
    I saw Dakota smile over the head of the crowd and maneuver her way to my table. “Why the change in seating arrangements?” she asked.
    I rolled my eyes. “‘Cause I felt like it.” Did there need to be any explanation? I took a bit of my apple pie and glanced over at Dakota’s food. “You’re a rabbit.”
    “No, Dakota said. “I’m not.” And then she took a bite of her salad.
    I chuckled and pulled my book out of my bag. I held it open to the page I was on and then glanced at Dakota. “You have basketball after school today, right.”
    Dakota nodded as she finished chewing. She swallowed. “Yeah, and then a game tomorrow.”
    I faced down to read but the stupid Lunch bell rang and I had to stop. I sighed softly and closed the book while Dakota shoved some...

The Angels Are Crying (because they cannot save us) #apoemaday31

Tears splash on the pavement
And they steadily fall from the sky
The sky is the gray of sorrow
And we can always wonder why...

The angels are crying

And wings of white flash through the air
And some wonder, Are they scared?
And up there, the angels are crying
As they look down at all those lying

Mr. Booker just stole a pear
And all the angels can do is stare...
And cry

And wonder why
Sarah Kyre just broke John's heart
And Lady Carmel said the pie was too tart
And all this evil makes angels cry

Tears splash on the pavement
And they steadily fall from the sky
The sky is the gray of sorrow
And we can always wonder why...

And the angels cry
Knowing when we die
That they can't help us
If we fall down
We would be kings and queens
Who had lost their crowns

And the angels will cry because they cannot...

Fight For Us, Michael the Archangel #apoemaday30

Battles rage all through our days
Yes, good and evil fight
And Micheal is down there, an Archangel
There to bring the light
And he fights the devil with his mighty sword
And we are begged to spread God's Word
So that the Archangel can defeat the devil

Guardian #apoemaday29

I know she's just here to protect me
'Cause I'm not supposed to protect myself
And one day the world will see
I can fight, too
But for now, my guardian follows me from room to room
And she'll be here should I accidentally fall to my doom
Don't know how she'll help, I fall faster
And I don't know how long that dagger will last her
But today she approaches, she's a girl like me
And she whispers to me a way to be free
Not completely, I'll never be that way
But she says she will teach me every day
She promises to teach me to use her dagger
And she corrects me when I lurch and stagger
But she assures me she won't be there forever
She has her own places to be and thing to do
But she says it's best to teach me while we're together
And I know she won't be here forever; that's...

A Dream...

She was standing in a sea of broken bodies that did not move, did not sway. Her feet were bare and aching and sharp objects jutted up from the ground. Dangerous.
    It was dangerous here.
    But in the close distance, William was standing. A prince. He looked like a prince dressed in his armor. But his eyes were those of her big brother. So she ran to him. She ran faster, trying to ignore the raging pain in her feet. She jumped over a sword only to land on a dagger a step later. She would poke her toes on helmets and stumble over bones that stuck out of the ground, upright.
    No matter how far or how fast she ran, William never got closer. Slowly the light in his eyes faded to something darker. She begged her legs to go faster, whispered to the wind to speed her flight. William threw out a hand and shouted....

I Am The Oracle #apoemaday28

I happen to know details of tomorrow
And I know that next week is filled with sorrow
I don't know everything
But then again, what mortal does
I can't share everything
And these whispers buzz
They talk to me, but I don't always understand
And sometimes, I don't know where these problems will land
But I am here to share what will happen
Share it in riddles and puzzles and clues
And how you react? You choose
I Am The Oracle

Me and My Imp #apoemaday25

I saw a shadow one summer night
It was hard to see in the dim light
But at five years old, I believed
A fairy had come to me

And now I'm older and I've seen more
And so when I saw a flash of light around a door
I investigated
A creature mankind hated
An imp

Its tail dragged on the ground
It was small and made no sound
And little wings fluttered on its back
Just like a bat
And it was red as blood with teeth like bone
And feet covered in mud and claws like stone
And it smiled at me over its shoulder
And the room seemed to grow colder

I whispered to it, I know what you are
And I know you come from far
Far away
You here?
That's not okay.

I scooped it up and it bit my hand
And my finger felt like melting sand
And I nearly dropped that ugly...

Family is a Monarchy #apoemaday24

This is not a democracy
We don't vote here
And our family is crazy
And we work like gears
Our family in a monarchy

I know we live in a world
Where there are no rulers
And we don't have old paper curled
And we are not homeschoolers
But my father is the king
My mother, the queen
And sometimes their decisions appear mean
But this is a monarchy

We do not vote on what is for dinner
And when we play games, there is a winner
But the father can say no
The mother can let you go
But we are not a democracy
We are a monarchy
So do not tell the father that there was a five to two vote
His vote counts as seven
And he's the one that paid for your coat
And you can't decide, you're only eleven
So my family is not a democracy
It is a monarchy

Checkmate! #apoemaday23

This is not just a game
Don't treat it that way
And it won't win you glory and fame
So don't say it's okay
This is a game of strategy
One wrong move, and it'll end in tragedy
Just a few right plays
And the victory stays
You move
I move
The queen kills
My rook heals
Or is recaptured
Or returned
Who knows
But he is back in the game
And it won't be the same
Your queen is gone
Your army is almost none
I'm toying with you know
And soon your king will bow
And I'm muttering under my breath
I whisper of condemnation and death
And
I
Make
One more move
Check
I move again. 
My queen this time
Checkmate!

A Rose Of Thorns #apoemaday22

I know daisies don't have thorns
And I know that wind warns
Of the danger
And the daisies fall to the harsh gusts
The wildflower meadow is hushed
And flowers ripped from the ground
And for most, there is no sound
And a little girl runs through the meadow
The wind does not bother her
And her dog runs beside her, wind in her fur
And they pick flowers before they are swept away
Hold them tight, hoping they'll stay
And she walks slowly now, searching
And a gust catches her and she lurches
And falls
Into
A thornbush
She cries and her arms are red with blood
And her tears, they could create a flood
And her dog comes to see what's wrong
And the wind dies down and whispers a song
And the girl dries her tears
And to the thronbush, she nears
And finds a rose made of thorns

Sweet Chariot, Carry Me To Where I Belong #apoemaday21

Sweet chariot, riding over land
Sweet chariot, travel from sea to sand
Sweet chariot carry me to where I belong

I know that here is not my home
And perhaps that is why I feel alone
And I only wish someone would carry me
But humanity sometimes refuses to see
And so I await a chariot

Sweet chariot, flying across the ground
Sweet chariot, lead to where you are bound
Sweet chariot, carry me to where I belong

Cars go to fast to let you look outside
And so no one sees when you cried
And that is why I want my chariot
To Lead Me Home

Sweet chariot, gliding in the sky
Sweet chariot, race and float and fly

I remember as a child, how I would run and play
And that was a time that I just wanted to stay
But the world is cruel, and so we grow up...

Be Kind Because Equality Starts With You #apoemaday20

Equality isn't just you or me
Black or white
It isn't respecting what you and I see
Not maybe might
It's a balance beam, a scale
Like a villain in a fairytale
2x+y does not equal 3
But we get bored and just let it be
We don't fix the scale, even the sides
And then you lose sight of Equality

So equality is equal, the same on both sides
A medium between home and carnival rides
And isn't it easier to walk an even path
Rather than climb a steep mountain or do hated math
And isn't it well known that life is not fair
And the rules of equality are not taught of with care
And I know equality is not just black or white
Christian or Jew
It's about crossing lines to make things right
With me and you
So shut up about equal rights and how we're treated
Because life isn't fair 'cause of things being...

The Crows, The Wolf, And The Owl

The wolf cub tumbled in the grass, growling playfully to try and tempt his mother to run around with her. She leaped up and, seeing her tail out of the corner of her eye, began to chase it. Mama Wolf crept out of her den and walked past the cub to find what food the pack had caught. There were barely a few strips of meat left on the carcass of the gazelle.  
    She turned to her cub. “Darla, I am going out to hunt. Stay near the den and with the pack.”
    As soon as she was gone, a crow perched on a nearby tree and began to sing in a raspy voice. “One for sorrow/Two for joy/Three for a girl/Four for a boy/Five for silver/Six for gold/Seven for a secret/Never to be told/Eight for a wish/Nine for a kiss/Ten a surprise you should be careful not to miss/Eleven for health/Twelve for wealth/Thirteen beware it’s the devil...

Imagine the Afterlife #apoemaday19

I know we all think about what happens after
Some think it's black nothing and some say it's filled with laughter
And then some think we are reborn into another body
Some believe in Heaven and Hell, nice and naughty
And I will not lie, I believe in the last one
I believe when I die, I'll meet the Father and Son
And the Holy Spirit
God
And to me, all other death afterlife is flawed
To be reincarnated and live another life
So much living would create strife
And is it not better to believe in the something after
And instead of just dead in the ground, to hear laughter
To see the saints and siblings, family and friends
Isn't that how you imagine the end
The after
True life
I imagine my afterlife of immortality
Remaining in Christ for all eternity
That's how I imagine my afterlife

Meeting A Viscount #apoemaday18

I'm on a plane with the rest of my class
And Ms. Harrkle don't take no sass
And I have a book in my hand
But I'll probably just look outside 'til we land
We are going to England and we might see the queen
But that's kind of unlikely if you know what I mean
So instead I looked up who we might see over there
And if we see a Duke, I'll probably stare
And we might get lucky and see an Earl
Or maybe a Marquess
And I am writing these names and end the s with a curl
My writing's the best
But the person high up that I really might meet
Seeing a viscount will not be a large feat
And so that's who I look forward to seeing
And the one person I am truly excited to be meeting
I can't wait to meet a viscount!
                                -From the Poetry Diary of Ariel Shaw
...

Must Die #apoemaday17

There is a traitor in our midst
A wolf in sheep's clothing
We've known him but he was missed
In the search
And so now I show him to you
The villain of this broken fairytale
And so, whatever you do
Watch this villain without fail
This traitor will have to die
And who knows all his lies
And the fact that we might've cared for him
All these thoughts make my spirit dim
And so now we have an example of pain and loss
And what one can gain in a single toss
And so this traitor must die
This is not a lie
Because for all he has done to us
The traitor must die

Voyage of My Life #apoemaday16

I spend a year traveling the open seas
And out there, it almost felt like it belonged to me
But I remember how I felt as I walked aboard that ship
I was scared and I bit my lip
I wasn't really sure where that ship was going
But it was my freedom chance 
And I was captivated by the water as we began rowing
Here was where I took my stance
I stood up tall and proud
But I was quiet, not too loud
And I cleaned that ship for scraps of food
And a few people were nice, most were rude
And I never became seasick like others
If only I was here with my brothers

They would be so proud of me
And Andrew would be jealous of me
He wanted to be a Captain
And now he'd have to comfort sweet, little Ren
He said he'd miss me
But now I am out at sea
Taking...

Dead or Alive #apoemaday15

The wind rips at me, whips at me
It carries my cries away
I can't see; why can't I see?
I can't tell if it's night or day
Snow blinds me with its sharp claws
It's a blizzard, it disregards Winter laws
I can't find any warmth
It's just a distant memory
And this biting wind from the North
It is cutting away at me
I move as quickly as molasses
So, not very fast
But it is my very fastest
I hope this blizzard won't last
Or I won't 

I can't cry now; my cheeks would freeze
I can cry out, but there is no one to hear my pleas
It would be better to sit in the snow
And hope
that
they
find me...
After the blizzard
Dead or Alive

What is a Truth #apoemaday14

A truth is never quite one word
Nor is it ever two
No, for it is a speech of repentance
Never just the name of me or you
And sometimes we write a half-truth
Where half is still a lie
And sometimes we believe it
Even to the day we die
And once in a while, we believe a lie
And then treat it like the truest word
And then sometimes we don't believe the truth
And pretend that it was never even heard
So what is a truth?
Is it...
anything?

Candlelit Table #apoemaday13

Sitting here by candlelight
I wait for you for tonight
You told me to meet you here
But it's dark and filled with fear
The candles are the only light

And so I wait for you to come
And as the candles melt, I feel dumb
Was this all a trick, a hurtful play
Stubborn, won't leave, I'll stay
And the candles are slowly melting

I rub some cooling wax between my fingers
And the substance falls but the feeling lingers
And the clock is ticking close to midnight
And the candles will soon no longer light
But the candles will not stop their burning

And so, as one candle goes out, then two
And the clock strikes one, I still don't see you
And so I stand and my chair slowly falls
And the candles flicker, they're low, Death calls
So I leave that table of candlelight

The Spell of the Lilting Voice #apoemaday12

Listening to his voice, with its gentle lilt
He wields it like a sword, holds it by its hilt
He has captured every girls' attention
And with every achievement he mentions
They fall a little more in love

But one girl watches from the side-lines
She cannot hear him, so she looks for his smile lines
Non-existent
He spots her and beckons her over
And from the ground, he picks a four-leaf clover
She takes it, hesitant
He speaks, she questions it
She doesn't hear him, just sees his lips move
She doesn't hear his gentle lilt, so smooth
And she watches the other girls, disgusted
His voice must not be magic, must it?
And as he speaks, his lips silent
His lilt is there, but to her, it's quiet
And from the corner of her eye
She saw a small, tiny person
And as she watched, she saw why
As she took from pockets and cursing
Dressed in rags,...

Mama #apoemaday11

Do you remember that scrap of lace you gave me
That was when I was five, Mama
And then you left without notice, for a reason I couldn't see
I wrote a note that said, Dear, (Comma)
And I didn't know what else to write
I could see... but I felt like I'd lost my sight
I still have that piece of lace, woman-who-birthed-me
Even though I'm twelve
And sometimes I want to tear it up, hoping it'll make me free
But it stays on my shelves
And I know, you might never, ever come home
But I'm hoping that one day you will, but not with a heart made of stone
That lace comes from your wedding dress, Grandma said
She tells me about you as a kid as she tucks me into bed
And I know I'm not a baby that you want or need
And here's to hoping I don't follow your lead
'Cause I hope I...

Balance #apoemaday10

Balance could be an hourglass lying on its side
Or it could be one truth from a person who had lied
But I find true balance is the one you find when on a tightrope
High up in the air
You need to have great balance, or else hope
Won't get you anywhere
And so the tightrope starts off on the ground
And you might not stay on it; just follow it around
And as you grow, it raises up to just your height
And sometimes taller so you show your might
And sometimes you'll slip and almost fall
And sometimes, when you slip, you'll hit a wall
And sometimes you will fall all the way to the bottom
And then see your rope up high
And you'll be off-balance as you try to climb
But sometimes you have to climb to touch the sky
And then you get back on that tightrope and lean from side to side
And...

Choose all the Kisses #apoemaday9

You say you want all my kisses
You tell me I should be your Mrs.
But yeah, to that I say no
That is not the way I want to go
Every kiss I give is a gift of love
Ask for too much, and you'll just be shoved
I don't go easy and I play rough
Do not mistake me for helpless; I am tough

You can tell me that roses are red
And I might say violets are blue
But to me, it doesn't matter what's being said
To me, it's what you can do
Don't bring me roses to make me happy
Do something helpful rather than sappy
And don't tell me everything I do is great
I know it's not
And don't tell me you and I are fate
Lies are always caught

And so do not ask if I want to be kissed
If so, the last thing you'll see is my fist
I am...

The Cycle of a Unicycle #apoemaday8

All the roads lead here
To see the person that appears
So do not tear your eyes away
Wait, you won't be here all-day

And out from the shadows comes a wheel
A woman riding on top
She's going so fast; can you imagine the wind she can feel?
Captivated, you ask, "Will she ever stop?"
She rides her unicycle one time in a day
And she is amazing.
What else can you say?
And so you'll go home and buy a unicycle
And then it will arrive
You'll try to ride it like a bicycle
For the best, you will strive
And soon the whole world will ride a unicycle
And then you get bored and make excuses
And it will fall and break because of all its abuses
And so it'll turn to scrap and then a new one will be made
And you'll see the unicycle woman again
And then you'll by a new one, more money...

Give Us Fireflies to Light Up the Dark #apoemaday7

The stars light up the sky
Even when it's too dark to see
And sometimes we wonder why
But sometimes, we just let it be
But on those nights when the stars can't be seen
And you can't see anything whichever way you lean
Then you might catch sight of a tiny flicker of light
It's there, even if it's not all that bright
And before you know it there's more and more
And you can wonder why they're here, what they're for
But they can't be seen when the sky's too bright
Can't be seen, 'cause they're not the only light
But isn't beautiful, the way they shine
And even in scary darkness, you know you'll be fie
When that light of gas in space isn't there
The world can still even the odds to make it fair
And give us fireflies to light up the dark

Wrinkles Read By Glory Be #apoemaday6

Grandmother sits in her old rocking chair
On the porch, into the distance, she will stare
Before her sits her grandchildren, child to teen
They await her words to tell them what she's seen
She points at her arm and then points at a wrinkle on her face
This wrinkle was a story she couldn't erase
She had broken her arm when she was sixteen
Up until that moment, she had been the queen
And a wrinkle appeared as she cried, cried, cried
And then more appeared as she lied, lied, lied
She lied about what happened and pretended it was okay
She pretended it was a horrific story of a cold, stormy day
So Grandmother told the young people sitting at her feet
That wrinkles told their story to the one they were to meet
And she told them, come Judgement day, they'd see
Their wrinkles would be read by the one of the Glory Be
Come Judgement day,...

The Greatest Miracle #apoemaday5

t was small but there nonetheless
It was a small gift, but the best
Born in a stable no better than a cave
A child born for the world he'd save
A king wanted him dead
The Roman's would want his head
But the gift was in a manger
It didn't matter that he wasn't rich
The king was born!

It's a miracle the Wise Men came
Without them, it would not have been the same
The shepherds, though afraid, came too
And animals watched,  even the shrew
It is a miracle Herod did not catch them
And that Mary, virgin still, would go
They went to Egypt, to lands where nothing grows
And then they went to Nazareth and home
And there they were 'til Christ was grown

The miracle, the greatest one, gave his life
For us
He taught us how to live and how to pray
For others
The greatest miracle is the Son of God
Jesus...

One Large Family!

Is a big family good or bad?

I have found, based on internet sources, that many people think that big families are often bad or not as good as smaller families. Of course, there are those who think large families are good. One popular concern that people have is that larger families tend to have a lower education. That, I can promise you is not a true case. I live in a family of five... kids. To me, that isn't even close to a big family but to many it is. Every child in my family is one of the smartest in their grade. We are all really creative and resourceful. A good thing about large families, there is always a person to play with. The bad thing about this upside is that there is also always someone to argue with. And kids will argue over anything. But without my siblings to argue with, I wouldn't be any good at...

The Beginning of the Enchantress #apoemaday4

A child walks across the grass
Near to her is a lake of glass
This little girl is bruised and cold
Her parents had never been ones to hold
her.

It's later now
She's no longer a child but a teen
She hates to bow
Her defiance has been seen
She's running past the lake into the night
She had fallen down and now she wants to fight
She stumbles through open areas and empty forests
The eerie sounds are the only chorus
And tired, she falls at a cottage door in a wood
She would knock if she could
But she could not, so she fell asleep

She woke in a bed, big and warm
And outside, there was a whistling storm
She pushed off her blankets and stood...
And realized that she felt good!
Her bruises were gone and nothing was sore
Smiling, she crossed the smooth floor
She entered a small room of plants
And, from another...

My Stallion #apoemaday3

Hooves pound across the ground
Can you feel them?
They fill the earth with a single sound
Can you hear them?
Wild, wild, so wild
They are wild to me, a child
I watch them, this herd, from the grass
They slow and eat but will take off in a flash
I stand up and walk slowly to one
He is stunning, a blackish-blue
I watch him, he watches me, too
I stop a few feet from his face
He steps toward me, such grace
I stay still, try to keep my breathing steady
He could kill me and I wouldn't be ready
But he just steps closer to me
I still stay as still as a tree
But he blows hot air 
It rustles my hair
A sound I cannot hear startles them
They race away
I move and it's like plucking a flower from a stem
I race away

I did not find a Black Stallion
from a...

Broken Girl #apoemaday2

I think I'm broken
I know things without them being spoken
Carlos kept glancing at Sarah today
I saw he wanted her to look his way
I was in the library last week
And, from across town, I heard a game of hide-and-seek
But that is not all that breaks me apart
I happen to know when things will start
When I was five, I looked up at the sky
I began screaming but no one knew why
Then Mom says I said a big storm was coming
A storm that would set the ground a-rumbling
The Tuesday after, we had to leave
It was three tornadoes many believe
When I was seven, I saw angels follow Uncle Rick
They were the ones that told me he was sick
I told mom to wear black on the first of September
That day, he died and I will always remember
Because I knew
Somehow I knew
And so, when I was...

A Fire Fairy #apoemaday1

Sitting quietly while others speak
Thinking of the things I seek
We sit before an open fire
We add more wood and flames rise higher
I sit with a plate in my lap
I think of a story of a simple trap
I watch the fire, captivated
The sparks are slowly created
And slowly they rise to touch the skies
They will keep rising unless the fire dies
I lean closer to feel the heat
And there I sat, on the edge of my seat
I kept watching the sparks fly away
As, one by one, they stray
One turned to me and smiled
And off the little fire fairy flew 
I did not say anything but it was true
I saw a fairy that late night
From the flames, she rose, ready to fight
That night, I saw a spark
A fairy

Open Prompt

A Riddled Warning

Tell me I'm wrong
Be like the rest
Say you hate my song
You don't see the test

You see, my words have meaning
And you can still have nightmares when you are dreaming
But when the world falls to its weakness
Will we remember its slight, hidden sweetness
You'll see the song was a warning
Not for me, I hear the words of the wind
But for those who have not realized they have sinned
When the world is dust beneath our feet
It will be the LORD we shall meet
Never tell me I am wrong
I know all the meanings to this song
So write me into dust
Turn me into rust
My warning still stands and will stay
It will fill your mind until you listen
It will fill the light of day
It will be there when the dew glistens
So heed my warning
Listen close
The world is turning
But we must go back ...

Answers to Great Gabs-by's #Q&AContest

1. What do you love most about your name and what do you dislike most about it?
My name fits me incredibly well. It means a Listener of God or simply a Listener. The only thing I do not like about my name is that it is really common. I like being unique. Also, I am the only kid in my family who had an English name. The rest of them have Spanish names.
2. Have you ever asked your parents what your name means to them or why they chose that name for you? (Feel free to share!)
I have a frame that says what my name means so I never asked my parents but when I asked them why they gave me this name they said they liked the name.
3. If you could describe your favorite hobby (other than writing) in a single color, what would it be?
Probably purple. The kind of purple that is fading...

This Princess

The princess in the tower begs to be free
Her prince will come, she knows it.
One girl mops and cleans as far as the eye can see
A seed of hope, Fairy Godmother sows it.
One sleeps forever after sixteen years
She'll wake, true love's kiss to show it.
One promised to a Beast because her father fears
This dangerous river, she'll row it.

But what of me.
Wild.
Hidden.
This princess wants to fight
But, wait, she can't
It's unheard of.
She dreams of the night sky
Every night.
For it is free.
She is not.
She wants to climb the tower
But that is the prince's job.
She wants to help the girl
But that's the Fairy's job.
She wants to break the curse some new way
But no one likes to try it anew.
She wants to be the Beast
But she is not supposed to act that way.

This princess is done hiding
    She'll throw...

My Name

My name is not anything special. Samantha. A really popular name. My parents decided they liked the name and so... that was my name. Recently, I looked up its meaning just to look at myself a bit. I found it had several meanings. I am very religious and I suppose my name reflects that. Many consider it to be the feminine form of Samuel and could mean Told by God or Flower of God. Though these meanings have some part in my life, the Aramaic meaning, I feel, fits me best. It simply says Samantha means Listener. I have always been a problem solver. People would come to me to resolve fights or to let things out, tell me what was eating at them. And I listened.

I have noticed my name changes with my personality. TWo popular nicknames for Samantha is Sam and Sammy (Sami). When I was little, everyone called me Sam. One, it was easier; Two, I...

Tell Your Story

They tell me dark is bad
The devil lurks there
They lie
And I know why
They are afraid.

Of the dark
Of the past
Of the lights that show the way
I am not scared though
The night sky holds me
The sun lights up the world
But the stars lead me gently
Never, never astray
I cry
But the sun hates my tears
The dark tells me it's okay
To let it out
I do.
No one sees my silent tears
But they do not need to
They are for me
The dark holds me like a child
Wrapping me in stars
For every story I have heard
I write a new one
But no one sees them
But they are not for them
They are for the children of the night
The ones that need to be guided
So if you do not see this
Read this
Then you do not need this
I am writing for...

What It Takes To Rise #firsttruelife

When the sun sets
Leaving darkness to rule
When making bets
Makes you the fool
When you fall  down
Falling hard
When the crown 
Don't match the cards
 That's when the voice
Tells you to stand
Giving you the choice.             
To take the offered hand
You say  yes or you say no
It's your choice
You're free to go
 Some are weak 
Some are not
Some will speak
Some won't talk
 They  can't rise
No, not yet
But one day
They will have what it takes to rise
Higher
Higher
Higher

Novel Writing Competition 2019

The King's Cause

A crowd of nobles and citizens of the kingdom were scattered throughout the throne room. A few people in dirty, thin clothes attempted to hide in the background. A man saluted Leona with his two front fingers and she responded with a slight smile. Everyone was dressed their best. Leona had on a long, white dress of satin that drifted around her legs and her ankles, and her hair fell down in curls, fastened by an elegant clip. Sabrina wore her mother's red dress with her hair in a simple side ponytail. Reena wore a black dress to her ankles-as was her style-and stood apart from the rest of the party. Her eyes sought out the man from the whipping. The one that hadn't touched her in lust and greed. The one who had watched her with such intensity. Their eyes locked as he slipped through the double doors and into a corner. Leona caught sight of Reena breaking out...

Samantha Jaramillo

A New Mexico girl
Smart as they come
Social media, not really my thing
I barely wear earings, never a ring
I sleep with a book in hand
(Wierd, I know)
But we all sleep with some weapon
(I think)
I have four brats, all younger
They have definitely torn my life asunder
But I love them anyways
(I just don't like them very much)
I write for the girl I am not
Outside
To smart to be cool
But that's what you get
When most of your class are imbeciles
(Haha. No, I'm serious)
I always have a pencil in my hair
And I'll admit I like to scare
(Nickname is Psychopath)
My ankles hate me, and I, them
And let me do things or...
You don't exist for approximately three hours
(I'm not kidding)
I am not a neat freak
But I like to organize
So... maybe a little confusing
But all this needed to be said
My...

Novel Writing Competition 2019

The King's Cause

A crowd of nobles and citizens of the kingdom were scattered throughout the throne room. Some poorer people hid in the background. A man saluted Leona with his two front fingers and she responded with a slight smile. Everyone was dressed their best. Leona had on a long, white dress of satin that drifted around her legs and her ankles, and her hair fell down in curls, fastened by an elegant clip. Sabrina wore her mother's red dress with her hair in a simple side ponytail. Reena wore a black dress to her ankles-as was her style-and stood apart from the rest of the party. Her eyes sought out the man from the whipping. The one that didn't touch her. The one who had watched her with such intensity. Their eyes locked as he slipped through the double doors and into a corner. Reena broke out in a run and leaped into his open arms. He lifted her up and...

Novel Writing Competition 2019

The King's Cause

A crowd of nobles and other people were scattered throughout the throne room. Some poorer people hid in the background. A man saluted Leona with his two front fingers and she responded with a slight smile. Everyone was dressed their best. Leona had on a long, white dress that drifted around her legs and her ankles, and her hair fell down in curls, fastened by an elegant clip. Sabrina wore her mother's red dress with her hair in a simple side ponytail. Reena wore a black dress as was her style and stood apart from the rest of the party. Her eyes sought out the man from the whipping. The one that didn't touch her. The one who had watched her with such intensity. Their eyes locked as he slinked through the double doors and into a corner. Reena broke out in a run and leaped into his open arms. He lifted her up and spun her around. If her...

High Queen

Crowns in a long row
Inbetween them, rivers flow
Seven kingdoms but eight crowns
In each kingdom seventy-eight towns
Four princes, three sweet girls
Seven rulers for all the world

They walk up to take their rule
None, not one, a fool
Light explodes as the crowns touch their heads
Lights of orange, yellow, red
The crowds all turn the eighth crown
Nothing was there s they all looked down

A small girl rose from the ground
In an emerald dress, she looked around
This was the girl to the eighth crown
A crown of beauty, keen and clear
A sapphire star for all she hold dear
She would be their High Queen
It was in that way she would be seen

But she did not want to be so high
She did not want to say why
So she stood and took the crown
She whispered to it then looked around
Spotting a girl of seven, she smiled
Just...

Dance, My Child

Dance beneath the stars, child
You know you were born to be wild
So dance even as people see
Dance and be who you are meant to be
When the stars are just barely dust
Just dance, never fall into lust
So dance, sweet child of the night
Dance so you do not have to fight
Twirl throughout the room and dance
Play your card in this game of chance
Child, you will die one day
But dance no matter what they say
For the stars still shine after they are gone
So this dance you dance is but one
A dancing star does not fall
Even when death comes to call

Dance beneath the stars, child
You know you were born to be wild
So dance even as people see
Dance and be who you are meant to be
That is not dirt around your feet
Those are fairies for you to meet
So child, dance and you will...

This game of Fate

He is my prince in shining armor,
this skinny, pale-faced peasant.
His mighty steed will take him far
if he is ever more than a stubborn mule.
His sword is strong and sharp
but the size of a kitchen knife.
He is tall and brave and handsome
when he has stilts and makeup.

She is my princess, my queen
although she is so very mean.
She has a crown of jewels and roses
but the flowers are wilted with fake stones.
Her tower is tall and guarded by a dragon
it's nearly seven feet high with a lizard.
She is beautiful and smart
but she hates my guts and farts.

Watching from the sidelines,
I watch this game of Fate
Win or lose, or chance
I suppose we can only wait.
The spiteful princess myaylove her pale-faced prince
Or she will find another in years to come
He might not want a princess later
Perhaps a girl he never saw...

Opening the Door! #ClosedDoors

One door then two
More and more
But only a few
A million doors all open at once
Then, as one, they close
Then there is one door left unopened.
As I walk to it, I watch the other doors
There are a million different things
Cats and dogs
Books and television
I walk straight past, I'm on a mission
I'm in front of the door now
Staring
Stars and moons anoint the door.
All sound and silence come from within
My breath is speeding, coming fast
Do I open the door?
Could inside be my past?
No, I tell myself, No
I take a step back, away.
But what if?
I step closer,
The door is engraved
with leaves and trees and fae.
I seems impossible
So much detail but somehow right
I reach to open the door
I could do it. 
See what was inside
Right?
My past couldn't be in there
Past wasn't an object
I pull the...

Intruder #experience

A rare interaction,
Mind to mind
A very rare feeling
Rare to find
Another force, another soul
Pushing against you
Do you have walls built up
Or will they find an easy way through?
A tingly feeling creeps over your limbs
The mind slithers like a snake
Silent as the night; water smooth
Walls go up in your mind, thoughts are fake
You breathe hitches and stumbles
It is still there; then it attacks

Shoving and pulling and ripping
Inside, screaming and crying
Claws sharp as knives
Each scratch could take lives
Tearing teeth that bite and grind
Your mind is no longer your mind
Can you feel it; the presence
It slides on through and searches
It is not gentle; it does you harm
Hisses say its frustration 'cause you're worthless
to it

It leaves and you feel
so much
better, now
Free...

For Fun #thisismyway

Once upon a time
On Dusk's land
A person walked
She walked and walked
Then ran and ran
Away
She ran away
But only by Dusk
By Dusk, from the shadows, she would run
And run and run and run
Dusk asked one day,
"Child, why run, why run?"
The girl, she answered, "For fun, for fun."
"Why on Dusk, my child, why run, why run."
"For fun," she answered. "For fun, for fun."
"But, my child," said Dusk, so soft. "What fun, what fun?"
"Shadows chase," she giggled. "Tag we play. Yes, play."
"Oh," said Dusk. "Then play. Then play."
"But," Dusk asked. "Might I play, too.
"I feel so bored watching you."
"Oh, yes, oh, yes. Oh, yes, play.
Let all of us play and play."
And so dusk ran from shadows
And the girl, too
And they ran and ran
For fun, for fun.
For fun, for fun
They ran and ran.

Dreams Hawken's Hate List #thingsihate

I know I am not supposed to, but I do. I hate things. I mean who doesn't. But I'm still not supposed to.

My name- It should be banished from any human language. Dreams Hawken. I mean, who names their child that. Dreams is a stupid name and just a reason to be made fun of. But Mothers don't think of that. And fathers are too afraid to speak up.
    Life sometimes- Not all the time; it isn't always bad. There are those times, though, when you just wish this wasn't your life. 
    English- I Hate English. The world would be so much better off if we either said things how they were spelled or spell things how they sound. 
    Uniforms- If we were supposed to all look the same, we would have the same looks.
    Wishes- This one is the one most people disagree with. I made a...

Time For Me To Fall #fallenwarriors

My hands hit the dust.
My knees, too.
He stands over me
with a jeweled sword.
My sword.
The diamonds crushed
into the iron of the blade
The emeralds studded
at the top of the hilt
The rubies shine bright
even with only two there
I wanted to laugh
To be killed with my own sword
but not with by my own hand
It seemed funny to me
I had fought a thousand battles
In my five hundred-year existence
Yet, it was a simple soldiers death
I was to pay
So it should be
I, the warrior of the king
The friend of the princess
I should die because I was
complete
Perhaps only for a moment
But that was all I needed
It was time for me to fall
Fall, and let another rise
My warrior heart beating strong
I let the sword fall
And I let the world go forever dark.

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

An Outcast's Friends

For years, I have been a bookworm, finding my way into any story and making it seem to come to life. The thing is, this hobby, along with a few other factors, put me apart from most people I knew. By the time I started sixth grade, I was a bit of an outcast. My elementary school went up through sixth grade and I was kind of okay with being an outcast. I was, along with a few of my friends, pushed away from the main crowd of kids.
    But then everything changed. It changed drastically.
    That summer, my best friend moved away. I was here in New Mexico. She was in North Dakota. Then my parents made a decision that I originally hated. They were sending me to Catholic school when all my friends were going to a public school. I was scared; wait, I was terrified! I was scared just to be going to...

Villan's Call #HomoSapiensStory

Once upon a time
And long, long ago
Princesses and dragons
Princes and their swords
Happily ever after, right?
    NO
Did you not see me in the corner
Not see me here
I started this story
And I'll end it too
It will end with the prince dead
The princess captive
Me the victor of this game
The End will be my call
My win will be your fall
The End
You're dead

Math #HomoSapiensStory

1,2,3,4
Numbers, numbers
More and more
Plus, minus, equal, too
Math matters to just a few
But when the world is giving me it's worst
I know I can solve the problem first
Because with math floating around my brain
It doesn't matter, shine or rain
When I realize an answer and I know
That my mind is good to go
One answer in all the day
One answer and I'm okay
'Cause math focuses my mind
Rewiring my thoughts
When no one else in kind
One answer is all I've got

An Outcast's Friends

Goodbye #raincontest

The clock ticks on the wall
It is counting down our fall
It's going 1-2-3 then 3-2-1
At infinity or zero, our days are done
Time seems to last forever
And then it is just gone
We think we can ignore the time wherever
But then we don't know when the game was won

Sunset knew this, unlike her sister, Sunrise
Sunset was only too good at goodbyes
Ticking time-bombs invaded her dreams
Evil smiling clocks, reasons for screams
Sunrise knew sweet beginnings
Sunset knew all the ends
Sunrise knew all the winnings
Sunset knew the day's sins

Now, when Sunset woke up,
her heart leaped into her throat
The old fashioned clock beside her
Making her feel like a sinking boat

The clock smiled and Sunset cried
For she was all too good at goodbyes
The clock winked with evil eyes
She knew it was time for her to say goodbye

Goodbye.

Unconnected Words #sixlittlestories

1. Rushing breath, fast first then slow.
  2. Pulled the trigger and bullets hit.
  3. Closer, his breath against my neck.
  4. My name's not a simple word.
  5. Words are only words until more.
  6. There is one word left now.
  7. Fairy tales and you and me.
  8. A broken scream echoes to me.
  9. Why must we hide in hope?
  10. A sword rose before descending quickly.
  11. Princes are useful, Queens are needed.
  12. In this land, words are pain.

Unconnected Words #sixlittlestories

2. Pulled the trigger and bullets hit.
  3. Closer, his breath against my neck.
  4. My name's not a simple word.
  5. Words are only words until more.
  6. There is one word left now.
  7. Fairy tales and you and me, no.
  8. A broken scream echoes to me.
  9. Why must we hide in hope?
  12. In this land, words are pain.

The End Of The World (Part 3)

Each pack member had a place to sleep. The guards slept closest to the opening; I slept at the very back of the den, against the wall. I sat there now, my back pressed to the cool wall. I held the baby in my arms, watching her. I cooed slightly and her face broke out in a huge grin. I smiled and brushed her hair down on her head. A tear slipped down my cheek. She looked just like her mother. My best friend, she stayed mostly in the moon but occasionally she would come down and visit me. The last time she had visited had been a few months ago. She would hold onto her swollen belly and smile whenever she mentioned the child inside of her. 
    Yucca sat down next to me and I pulled the girl to my chest. He pulled his knees up to his chin and looked at the light coming from the...

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Hunted

Jade walked up to Willow and was just ignored. Jade grabbed her by the arm and turned her. "Willow. Listen to me. They are hunting you. You need to run."

Willow's eyes flashed angrily and she pulled away. "Stop playing your stupid games, Jade. Something like that would never happen."

"Don't you want to be prepared if it does. I can help you."

Willow shook her head. "I don't need your help with anything. Let alone, some imaginary threat."

Jade gripped the skeleton-key charm necklace at her throat "Then you will die. Without my help, you will die."

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Hunted

Jade walked up to Willow and was just ignored her. Jade grabbed her by the arm and turned her. "Willow. Listen to me. They are hunting you. You need to run."

The Perfect Friend #july

The stars outside 
The horses we ride
They all lean toward her
And her bundle of fur
I hear a tree fall
In a roll of thunder
A burglar's call
It's a wonder
British accent talking
As we are walking
And "Yes, mamama-ing"
And siblings bawling
A witch for a mother
Another annoying brother
From power rangers
To bookish dangers
She seemed so kind
Something rare to find
But there was an evil streak
And she laughed even when the outcome was bleak
She was a friend 
And she always spoiled the end
Of movies and books
And when we shared secret looks
She was always where I needed 
And she was never leaded
We walked side by side
Hand in hand
Leaving our footprints in the sand

Sister #imagineit

I remember a time
When I thought the world mine
Yes, the darkness loomed
Yes, the world was doomed
But I was a child
My fears were mild

I don't fear the unknown
No fear to be alone
I fear I'm not enough
That I'm not tough
enough
I hear my sister screaming
I know there's a meaning
She's not hurt, only mad
But is she mad, or sad
I try to act strong
Act like nothing's wrong
I fear I'm too much
Like I'm acting like a crutch
To her anger
I fear she sees me as a stranger

Dakota Rose: Sorry

"So, why did she slap him?" Rowan sat on the bed. "I mean, he just kissed her and, as far as I can tell, admitted to falling in love with her."
    "He hurt her," Dakota Rose said, inching away from the boy. "A few chapters ago, the town began to hate her because her father was the reason a fire started and killed a mother and her two children. The boy who showed up at her door was the one who started the idea to kill everyone in the man's family not knowing that the huntress was the man's daughter. At this point, she is allowed back in the town but she is shunned and no one will sell to her nor will they help her in any way."
    "So, I assume the huntress in Clarisa and the boy is Luke. I think she should shoot him in his arm so that it doesn't kill him...

Questions #fantasygroup

1. Do you want to join this group? 
Yes.
2. Would you prefer if I created the group by publishing the prompts, or an actual group like "Flash Fiction?" Explain. 
I think a group would work well so we would get alerts but if you do just publish prompts, you'd have to publish them every few days so everyone would see them.
3. What is a catchy name for this group? 
I'm not sure. Names are one thing I am not the best at.
4. What do you consider "fantasy?" 
Anything that involves magic, different places not on earth, and unrealistic things.
5. Do you think that fantasy poems can also be included? 
Yes, fantasy should not be limited to stories.
6. Do you think I should also give an opportunity to fantasy reviewers? 
I don't know what you mean by this question.
7. What is a good time I should post the prompts so that you all will see it?  
Probably...

The End Of The World Part 2

I ran as fast as my legs could take me, a rhythm forming that had been drummed into my brain over time. The pack ran with me; the alpha male to my right and the female to my left. After that, it went backward by rank. The pups were in the middle so the mothers could push them along. We ran to the den and I stopped at the entrance to catch my breath. Maya, the wolf on guard at the moment, began to growl. The others joined in and I searched the darkness. My sister, Silenn, stepped out from behind an ancient oak with a squirming bundle in her arms. I raised my hand and lowered it, pointing my palm down; the sign to stand down. I walked toward her slowly, trying to figure out why she was here. My personal wolf guard, Pinil, followed a few feet behind me.
     "Call your dog off." Her voice was...

Covered Walls #Home

The endless possibilities surround me. Walls of crayon drawings and stars that I wished upon once upon a time, when fairies still had kleenex boxes as homes. Newer posters sit on those same walls trying to draw your eyes. I remember a time when Dragons and Mermaids played with me in the mud and Sprites helped me scare my sisters and brothers. I still dream of Dragons; riding them and grooming their sparkling scales. I still see Fairies rising from a bonfires flames and Pegasus flying through the midnight skies with wings brighter than stars. The walls still have the same off-white color and the floor is still a mess but the walls have stories of far off lands I often dream of. I found a girl in my head who flies on a magic carpet and can fight better than Ares, the Greek god of war. I found out eyes have power and I don't need a prince to...

Write

I'm not dead.
The words I write are often never read.
But I'm not writing for you,
Nor am I writing for me.
I am writing for the people who need to hear.
People who only know fear.
There is a line that we can't see
It can clump like mud, or dissolve like dust.
Only we can decide what we want it to be.

I'm not dead, neither are my words
I'm still here, writing like a bird,
A bird who sings
    and dances
        and shares the world
I'm still here, I'm not dead.
And neither are my words
The words often do not come
Not willingly they don't
So we have to pull them along,
Lead them like a wild horse
We can revise and revisit
We can break ties and then miss it
I'm speaking loud, but I won't be heard
All I can do is focus on the word
Speak it over...

Don't Stop

When you want to hide
Run away from here
When you want to say you tried
But you can't, the fear
When your body tingles
Like someone walked over your grave
That's when your heart jingles
Reminding you what you gave
I know that feeling too.
I've tried to run
But it wasn't my cue
And I still wasn't done

In every heart, soul and hand
There's a story to tell of a tightening band
There's a prison inside of us
A match to ignite us
Sometimes we can't see it yet
But it will come out, ready to be met
Write down your words and thoughts
It won't matter if you're caught
Because most of our stories won't be heard
But we have to just keep writing word after word
Because if we stop....

Everything stops with us.

@PRANAVI_079's Questions

1. If you could live anywhere on this planet, where would it be and why?  
I would live in Peralta, New Mexico. The mountains surrounding the state keep out most tornados and it doesn't get hurricanes. Although it is hot in the summer, it gets a little snow in the winter and the days are nice. 
2. What is your biggest fear?  
My biggest fear is that I won't be enough. That when someone really needs me, I won't be able to help them.
3. If you had to describe yourself as an animal, which one would it be?  
A wolf. Wolves stay in a pack and are always fighting for dominance like my family. They are loyal and strong.
4. If you could join any past or current music group which would you want to join?  
None, I don't mind singing but I would hate the attention.
5. On a scale of 1-10, how funny would you say you are?  
7...

The Mask Of Smart and Books

It might sound innocent but it hides as much as any other.
It hides you behind dragons
It might look like a fairy tale
But fairies have long been known for trouble
It might feel like you're in a gown of starlight and heels made of the moon
But the stars are long dead and the moon has lost its inner shine
The books are filled with pages and make a heart leap with joy
But the pages fall apart with every touch and the ink has faded to nothing
It cannot be torn off or even taken off slowly
But with time, the mask falls away as long as you don't build on
The mask is hard and soft, hot and cold
To wear or tear, one must be bold

0-9

0-9

0 is the days of rest I get
1 is the time I wake up when my mind is full
2 is the number of times I make a mistake each day. Everything else is a step in a different direction
3 is what the clock read when I can't wait for work to be over
4 is the amount of siblings I have and wouldn't mind not seeing for a while
5 is when I'm supposed to wake up. Things don't always go as planned
6 is an even number but to me, it has little value
7 is perfect, not halfway when they ask you "1-10" and odd and prime
8 is something that tells me I'm tired or that the workday is starting
9 is simple, and sort of like four but has more kids involved

Writing the Word #quickrhymes

Writing the word
That's the hard part
Harder than being heard
Because a word is a dart
It's a sharpened dagger
A drunken stagger
It's one thing or a million 
A fraction or a billion
I listen after dark
Rub the old trees bark
They all speak
Some soft, some loud
None will be called weak
None a coward
The pencil is at work
Writing the words that lurk
They're just beyond our reach
Like a too-high peach
But even high peaches fall
So too will the words call
Maybe not today or tomorrow
Maybe it'll wait till your sorrow
But the word will write.

Can't Forget Her #Lovegood_24's Contest

I remembered nothing except her. The way she walked, never letting anything distract her. The sweat that poured off her as she stood, working in the forge. She didn't know me and she didn't even glance my way but I caught her every word, every smile, every laugh. She was stunning in that knee-length skirt and black tank-top. Her brown hair kept falling out of its braid and her eyes... her eyes were the most beautiful emerald green I had ever seen. They swirled and brightened with the day. The blacksmith worked with her and the other boy, teaching them the little details. They teased each other and my heart clenched with every laugh she gave them. I heard her name and whispered it on my tongue, "Careen."
    I couldn't sleep or eat without thinking about her but I couldn't bring myself to confront her. Each day I watched her, the wanting grew stronger. My breath quickened whenever...

Dakota Rose: Shoot to Kill.

The world was spinning. Or she was spinning. Or maybe it was both. His lips caressed hers softly. She pulled away slowly. His eyes watched her for any reaction.
    She slapped him across the face.
    He rubbed his stinging cheek and glared. "What was that for?"
    "Don't ever kiss me again." She pointed a finger at his chest. "You got me into this mess. Get me out."
    He glared at her some more and she turned, walking away. "I should never have fallen for a huntress," he called after her.
    She huffed a laugh then sighed. "If you think that's your worst mistake, maybe I should shoot you where you stand."
    "But you won't," he said, "Because maybe you fell for me too."
    She looked back. "I'm done falling. Next time I see you, I shoot to kill."

Dakota Rose sighed, content with the...

Dakota Rose: Shoot to Kill.

She slapped him across the face.

Dakota Rose sighed, content with the...

Water Body

Respect the Seas

Water fills the bowl
Only three percent fresh
The other 97 percent
A salty mess
Trash invades the waters
Without our fish,
the world will fall to tatters
Before the November brisk
The way it swallows up my feet.
Leaving nothing to debate
The water takes every part of hate
Turns it into something kind
Something that will stay for me to find
Water is real
Water is here
Water is wonderful
Respect what deserves it
Respect the salty seas

Huntress Chapter 1: Ellesmera

Why I Write

The words blend
The colors mix
What message does it send
What does it fix
Tears run free when I hide
When I forget the law I abide
The pencil fits in my hand
One thing in the world I understand
I write one word, know two
The page is filled, I know what to do

The sky is black at night
The stars are writing
My dark, my light
The poison's biting
Trying to slow my path
Trying to control the crash
One more word
Let me write one more word
Then I can go
I won't be heard
But I will know the story
Inside and out
I will know the story
I will make it count

The words are a song
A rhythm, a beat
I don't know how long
The story will keep
Will keep living
and dying
and dreaming
and falling
But I will keep writing
Because the words don't stop
Even when we do ...

On Courage

I Am Not The Norm

What is normal? Is it kids defying their parents, their teachers, their superiors? Is it hating school and wanting to be elsewhere? I know for a fact that there is no such thing as normal. I love to read and because of that I am weird. I am a writer, for that I am strange. I am smart, for that I am held in distain. Why? Because I am not the norm! I do not cuss. Nor do I curse. No one calls me normal. Not my parents. Not my friends. No one. There is no such thing as normal! Saphira told Eragon that everyone would go back to being normal. Eragon responded, saying "Define normal."