shreyamap

Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

Rejecting the False Dichotomy Surrounding Social Media

My day used to begin not with the sound of my alarm, but with the artificial light of a phone screen and the scroll through notifications that follow it. I’d been known to snore through consecutive alarms, but the influx of information first thing in the morning was the mental espresso shot that kept my eyes open long enough to roll out of bed.

And if this doesn’t sound familiar, you’re either lying, or you’re on the path to enlightenment.

Stories of morning routines like mine are often segues into arguments about how social media has irreversibly transformed our culture for the worse—specifically, in regards to the growing mental illness epidemic. Recent studies offer a fairly damning verdict on social media’s effects on teenage mental health: According to the Child Mind Institute, “...teenage and young adult users who spend the most time on Instagram, Facebook and other platforms were shown to have a substantially (from 13 to 66 percent) higher...

Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

My day begins not with the sound of my alarm, but with the artificial light of a phone screen and the scroll through notifications that follow it. I’ve been known to snore through consecutive alarms, but the influx of information first thing in the morning is the mental espresso shot that keeps my eyes open long enough to roll out of bed.

Stories of morning routines like mine are often segues into arguments about how social media has irreversibly transformed our culture for the worse—specifically, in regards to the growing mental illness epidemic. Recent studies offer a fairly damning verdict on social media’s effects on teenage mental health: According to the Child Mind Institute, “...teenage and young adult users who spend the most time on Instagram, Facebook and other platforms were shown to have a substantially (from 13 to 66 percent) higher rate of...

Food Writing Competition 2019

I Identify as a Cuisine

She poured the piping chai back and forth between the pot and cup—cooling it down for my sensitive tongue—and set it down before me alongside a plate of samosas. While relishing the flaky pastries packed with potatoes and peas, my mother would vent to me about the latest outrage at work and listen to me detail my positively riveting day at middle school. Each day without fail, I would retrieve a pack of biscuits from our stockpile sourced from the local Indian grocery store and just about finish it before finally retiring to my room to do homework.
    Few things are more mundane than this daily routine, but to me these afternoon tea sessions were more than just the early beginnings of a caffeine addiction; they were one of my numbered cultural connections.
    My childhood was a recipe for an identity crisis. The daughter of an atheist father and a spiritual mother, I attended a predominantly Caucasian Catholic school...

Food Writing Competition 2019

I Identify as a Cuisine