bibliophile

Hi, I'm Kacey Gibbs.

I'm a witch, queen of Narnia, victor of the hunger games, and head mage of Artime.

I suffer from abibliophobia and have a sleeping disorder called reading.

You can find me lost in a good book. :)

Novel Writing Competition 2019

NaNoWriMo Novel Excerpt

Augusta had firsthand experience with change. Her entire plan for her future had changed, too many times in fact. It had changed when Governor Michaels refused her a job as a captain for one of the government's ships. It had changed to becoming a pirate. First just a pirate, but eventually, a captain. But then again, her future had changed, for the worse. It happened the moment Bartholomew Albatross entered her life. She'd heard storeies about him her entire life, of course. But never, not once, had she aspired to be like him or to know him. Not until Governor Michaels denied her a job that was. That moment led her to decide to become a pirate, a pirate whom worked firsthand with the infamous, notorious, evil, man children feared lurked under their beds. Captain Bartholomew Albatross.
     Unfortunately, things changed. Augusta had been positive, absolutely certain that Bart would accept her as a member of his crew....

Dreams

With reluctance I enter
This alternate world
Wishing for a dreamless sleep
Though once I am dreaming
My night's filled with pleasure
And although I won't remember
Details in the morning
I'll know how far-fetched 
My dreams were
For the craziest 
Strangest
Most abnormal details
Are the ones I remember the best
No I won't remember what clothes I was wearing
Or how I had done my hair
But you can be sure I'll remember
The task I was doing
And where I was going
And the evil I faced
Before the slightest sound woke me up

Rain

Patter Patter
That's the sound you make
On my window
Calming me
Soothing me
Washing away
My worries and fears
You help me forget
That I'm not
Who the world wants me to be
And as you drizzle on my window
That is perfectly okay
Thank you rain
Patter Patter

Things You Lose

Baseball games
Track of time
Four-leaf clovers
Nickels, quarters, a dime
Friends
A bet
A photo album
A checkers set
Your job
People's trust
A pair of sunglasses
A trophy beginning to rust
Pencils
A teacher's books
A grocery list
Good looks
Important papers
A flask
Hope
A Halloween mask
Homework
An internet connection
A button on a sweater
A sense of direction

Lying Low

A birthday party seemed like an innocent enough place to blend in, relax for a moment. It’s been a while since I stopped moving. But when the balloon popped, I realized quickly that I was very wrong. 
     You see, I recently joined a secret society that fights crime. Turns out, it isn't at all like the movies. There's no cool disguises, high technology, or awesome background music. It's more running for your life and being involved in near-death situations. Pretty inconvenient, I know. As the society's newest recruit, the bad guys are after me like crazy, hoping to catch me before my training is completed. 
     I've been running for the past few days now, trying to stay alive. I snuck into a kid's birthday party hoping to lie low. I thought I'd lost them, but the moment that balloon popped I knew I'd made a grave mistake. 
     Toxic fumes filled the air,...

The Perks of Being a Villain

If you are even a mildly normal person, then you've probably never considered the threat water balloons pose to society. I used to believe that as well, until the night of my thirteenth birthday. I was brushing my teeth, because I ate almost a gallon of ice cream and didn't want to get cavities. As I was brushing my teeth, a sudden realization hit me like a train. I realized, first, that cannibalism solves both overpopulation and world hunger. Next, I realized that if the entire world feared me, I could walk into a store and grab all the ice cream I wanted without paying for it. Finally, I became aware that I was just an ant, a speck, in the vast universe, and that most of the world was unaware of my existence. That was simply unacceptable. It was my thirteenth birthday, and I wanted the world to know it. I also wanted to have unlimited, free ice...

If This is Friendship

When it's just the two of us
You don't a give me a reason to distrust
We laugh, joke, and confess
When it comes to friends, you're the best

If this is friendship
I love it and want more 
More memories, smiles, and love

But when we're with our other friends
I'm shunned away and ignored
I'm not mad
I'm hurt and sad
To hear that although I told you everything
You trusted me with nothing

If this is friendship
I think I'd rather be alone
For life

Lying Low

Toxic fumes filled the air,...

The Perks of Being a Villain

The Perks of Being a Villain

If you are even a mildly normal person, then you've probably never considered the threat water balloons pose to society. I don't blame you. I was one of those people too, before... Well, before my life changed forever. Let me explain. It was the night of my thirteenth birthday, and I was brushing my teeth, because I ate almost a gallon of ice cream and didn't want to get cavities. Nothing out of the ordinary right? Almost thirteen-year-old brushes teeth. Not an intriguing news headline. However, as I was brushing my teeth, a sudden realization hit me like a train, making me question existence as a whole. I realized, first, that cannibalism solves both overpopulation and world hunger. Next, I realized that if the entire world feared me, I could walk into a store and grab all the ice cream I wanted without paying for it. Finally, I became aware that I was just an ant, a speck,...

Six Word Stories

Hurry! It's not to late yet.

Remember who you used to be. 

You have to make a sacrifice.

Make your choice. Now or never?

Bread and Light

What Nourishes My Life

There is no nourishment like books
That feed the imagination and longing for adventure in your life
Nourishment like social media for another

Based on Rumi's poem "As Wick Does"

1. Books. Oh books. I love you so. You feed my imagination and quench my thirst for adventure. You help me escape reality. You make me smile, laugh, cry, scream in anger, and you give me purpose. Thank you for making my life as exciting as it is today, and for turning this would-be rock of boredom we call home into a place I can curl up and get lost in a good story. Without you, our world would lack imagination. It would lack conscious thought. It would lack true love, because true love isn't something between two people, but rather, the connection between a reader and his or her favorite book. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Books, I love you with everything I have in me. You mean...

Rain

Patter Patter
That's the sound
You make
On my window
Calming me
Soothing me
Washing away
My worries
And fears
Thank you rain
Patter Patter

People You Remember

Christopher Colombus
Who didn't think the world was flat
Jackie Robinson
Sure knew how to use a bat
George Washington
First president of the United States
The man who created Microsoft 
His name was Bill Gates
Isaac Newton
Who discovered gravity, from an apple they say
The scientist who believed the Earth orbited the Sun
That was Galileo Galilei
George Washington Carver
Perfected peanut butter
And Moses from the bible
Even though he had a stutter
Mr. Roger
And his neighborhood
Milton Hershey
Who made delicious chocolate even if no one thought he could

Bookshelf

Book Recommendation

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow
Jessica Townsend
Fantasy
Morrigan Crow was born on Eventide, the unluckiest day of the year. She's blamed for the entire town's misfortunes, and is cursed to die on her eleventh birthday. A man by the name of Jupiter North rescues her from her terrible fate, bringing her to a magical city called Nevermoor, and giving Morrigan the chance to join respected society- if she can make it past four trials that will test her in every way.

Is Love Really Worth it?

Two scientists
I watch them fall
In love
To my despair
They dance
Among snowflakes
Those snowflakes proved
Never to chance love
For the scientists danced
And the snowflakes engulfed them
Never to be seen again
Is love really worth it?

Those scientists' discoveries
Would forever be forgotten
Their lives
Wasted away
All for a dance
For love
Snowflakes proved you never should fall
Claiming that love is a trap
A way for death to snatch you
Into its clutches
Too soon
Is love really worth it?

Is Love Really Worth it?

Two scientists
I watch them fall
In love
To my despair
They dance
Among snowflakes
Those snowflakes proved
Never to chance love
For the scientists danced
And the snowflakes engulfed them
Never to be seen again
Is love really worth it?

Those scientists' discoveries
Would forever be forgotten
Their lives
Wasted away
All for a dance
For love
Snowflakes proved never to fall
Claiming that love is a trap
A way for death to snatch you
Into its clutches
Too soon
Is love really worth it?

Things You Lose

Baseball games
Track of time
Four-leaf clovers
Nickels, quarters, a dime
Friends
A bet
A photo album
A checkers set
Your job
People's trust
A pair of sunglasses
A trophy beginning to rust
Pencils
A teacher's books
A grocery list
Good looks
Papers
A flask
Hope
A Halloween mask
Homework
An internet connection
A button on a sweater
A sense of direction

Summer Nights

Summer nights and fireflies
Underneath pitch black skies
Midnight frights and gleaming stars
A distant mark that might be Mars
The dog isn't barking anymore
I put one barefoot onto the floor
Dreams still overwhelming me
No one's awake that I can see
I silently tiptoe down the stairs
My shadow following I'm aware
The moon is shining overhead
I think I should go back to bed

Loxodonta

A man as old as time itself was walking along a sidewalk that stretched to forever. He had been walking for as long as he could remember. He didn't know where or in what direction he was going, he was simply going. He would know where he was going when he got there. 
    The wind howled. Leaves rustled. A low rumbling shook the Earth, breaking the peaceful silence that had loomed over him for what felt like an eternity. The world was changing, and he could feel it. The man trembled, but didn't pause for a moment. Nothing could disturb his walk, or so he thought. A figure had appeared on the horizon. It was stampeding toward him, but he just kept walking. As it drew ever closer, the man vaguely made out the shape of an elephant in the dim light of morning or evening. He wasn't sure which it was. Walking for years and...

Ode to Readers

Ode to the girl
Who reads by flashlight
Under the covers
In the dead of night
She'll go to bed
After just one more chapter
Reading fills her
With joy and laughter

Clarice's Quest

Chapter 1 Evaluation Day
    It was the dreaded Evaluation Day. The Evaluator would be arriving any moment now. "Kai, hurry the heck up, I hear someone coming!" Clarice Coastallin was a girl of the above average height, 5 foot 6 1/2 inches to be exact, with sandy brown hair and blue eyes. Those looks had landed her with the pathetic, no-good, pointless destiny of building sand castles. What really hurt was that Clarice could not build a sandcastle to save her life. Now lumps of sand, those were a different story. 
    Luckily for her, Clarice wasn't the only sandcastle builder. By some miracle, another girl had sandy brown hair to represent sand and blue eyes to represent the sea. Her name was Kai, and she, unlike Clarice, was actually gifted with the ability to turn a pile of sand into a work of art. Kai was the equivalent of her best friend, although the girls didn't really have a choice....