Eliza

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

What Comes Next

What comes next?  
The question looms in bold thoughts.   
 Distant. But close.  
Close enough to linger on the back of ones mind like a class final hanging off the edge of a pen-stained calendar marking birthdays, piano recitals, and soccer practices.  
What comes next?  
A curveball the captain of the baseball team cannot hit.
A pitch the sterling scholar cannot sing. 
A grade the valedictorian cannot reach.  
A question.  
What comes next? 
They pretend in turn to know 
but they don’t.  
They know nothing.  
Grades, colleges, careers, lives remain a big black question pulling the doubts of a million sub-conscious minds into the highways of thought.  
What comes next?  
The final approaches, high schoolers speeding out of the parking lot on a Friday, and it passes with a tailwind of relief.  
The score matters for a moment in time, and then it fades into the distance like cars racing towards home.  
But one thought lingers  
What comes next? 
The answer...

You Snooze You Lose

The swimmer Michael Phelps has competed in five Olympics and has won 28 medals, 23 of them gold, throughout his swimming career. His success has come through hard work in the pool, in which he swims for over three hours a day. He also does various exercises outside of the pool including weightlifting and running. To keep up this level of exertion, Phelps requires a large amount of rest. He sleeps for over eight hours each night and takes a 2-3 hour nap each day, for a total of 11 hours of sleep (Yomtov). Serena Williams, the famously successful tennis player who has won 2 Grand Slam Tennis Championships, goes to bed at 7 each night (Martin). These athletes rely on sleep. It allows their bodies to recover from the massive stress put on them each day. The relationship between sleep and athletic performance is heavily intertwined through the recovery it offers, in both physical and mental aspects.
Sleep is...