HermioneGranger67

That no life lives for ever;
That dead men rise up never;
That even the weariest river
Winds somewhere safe to see
-from The Garden of Prosperine by Algernon Charles Swinburne

When we drive away in secret
You'll be a volunteer
So don't scream when we take you
The world is quiet here.
-from A Series of Unfortunate Events

fingers to pen to paper

fingers
to pen
to paper
to rule the world.

with my pen 
and paper
i make queens
and fairytales

dark forests
a quest to find what was lost

bustling metropolis
a romance verboten

castles
and mysteries

snowflakes 
and rubies

sparks
a revolution

with my fingers
to pen
to paper
i can rule this world and beyond.

The Boy in Handcuffs pt. 2

It’s early, too early to wake Xavier again, but I can’t sleep. I stand by the crack on the walls of the house, remembering the panicked look in the boy’s eyes. Why was he so scared? Why was he surrounded by people who looked like they should be hunting down serial killers instead of shoving a teenage boy into an abandoned house? What’s happening in that house? I haven’t heard a single noise from inside the house, and the silence is pressing and dark, though I don’t know what I expect to hear. The people in suits come out in pairs every half hour or so to inexplicably stare up at the velvety-blue sky or patrol around the house, but they always go back inside. They seem to be waiting for something.
    It scares me, how uniform they are, always walking in sync, tilting their heads up at the exact same moment. I know that X and I can’t stay...

child of the night

pale lips curve
half moon smile
pinpricks of light twinkle
ebony hair
eyes light up with the brief shine
a shooting star.

The Boy in Handcuffs pt. 2

It scares me, how uniform they are, always walking in sync, tilting their heads up at the exact same moment. X and I can’t stay here much longer....

The Boy in Handcuffs pt. 2

It’s early, too early to wake Xavier again, but I can’t sleep. I stand by the crack on the walls of the house, remembering the panicked look in the boy’s eyes. Why was he so scared? Why was he surrounded by people who looked like they should be hunting down serial killers instead of escorting a teenage boy into an abandoned house? What’s happening in that house? I haven’t heard a single noise from inside the house, and the silence is pressing and dark, though I don’t know what I expect to hear. The people in suits come out in pairs every half hour or so to inexplicably stare up at the velvety-blue sky or patrol around the house, but they always go back inside. They seem to be waiting for something.

The Boy in Handcuffs

The sound of gravel crunching under tires jolts me awake. I've trained myself to wake up at the slightest noise that might threaten danger. I haven't slept soundly in years. Peter grumbles when I shake him awake, but he soon realizes what's happening and blows out our lone candle. 
    "Quickly." I whisper to Peter as he sweeps our few possessions into our raggedy backpack. But as I scrape wax off the floorboards so that we leave no trace, I notice a difference in the noises outside. The voices are louder, rougher, the cars heavier and more impenetrable. There's a small crack in the rough boards of the house, and I risk a glance through it. I know immediately that this is not Social Services.
    The cars are black and sleek, military grade. Armoured. The Social Services cars are mismatched, but all with the same blue symbol stamped on the side. These cars are imposing and surrounded...

The Boy in Handcuffs

What I Love

The warbling murmur of Bing Crosby. The accented serenading of Judy Garland. Whether it be holiday music, old showtunes, or simply old fashioned commercial jingles, there's nothing better than old music. The late early 1900s holds a wonderful plethora of music that few people pay attention to, but for me it can't be beat. For some reason it's so laughably simple that it's calming. If it's Fred Astaire slowly crooning a song about dancing with your love, or Donald O'Connor making crazy faces as he performs a ridiculous vaudeville routine with Gene Kelly, there's something so comforting about the music that's tinged with the tinny, echoing sound playing throughout the whole song that means that this song was performed long before the modern, flawless technology that records our music today- and even changes the voices of our favorite singers. Back then, the music was so real and raw even though the lyrics were mostly uncomplicated and straight forward. Old music...

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Frozen Everywhere

Cold creeps up my spine, its icy fangs penetrating deeper than any wolf’s. This glacial tundra has sucked all the warmth from my limbs, but I know I must keep moving or else the cold will take me for its own. But I’m so, so tired, and my legs finally buckle beneath me and I drop face down onto the ice. I push my hands against the ice, but the combination of my exhausted body and the ruthless wind prevents me from getting up again. I can only wait for death to take me, and hope it isn’t too agonizing.

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Frozen Everywhere

Cold creeps up my spine, its icy fangs penetrating deeper than any wolf’s. This glacial tundra has sucked all the warmth from my limbs, but I know I must keep moving or else the cold will take me for its own. But I’m so, so tired, and my legs finally buckle beneath me and I drop face down onto the ice. I push my hands against the ice, but the combination of my exhausted body and the ruthless wind prevents me from getting up again. I can only wait for death to take me, and hope it isn’t too painful.

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Frozen Everywhere

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Frozen Everywhere

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Frozen Everywhere

Cold creeps up my spine, its icy fangs penetrating deeper than any wolf’s. This glacial tundra has taken all the warmth from my limbs, but I know I must keep moving or else the cold will take me for its own. But I’m so, so tired, and my legs finally buckle beneath me and I drop face down onto the ice. I push my hands against the ice, but the combination of my exhausted body and the ruthless wind prevents me from getting up again. I can only wait for death to take me, and hope it isn’t too painful.

Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Frozen Everywhere

Cold creeps up my spine, its icy fangs penetrating deeper than any wolf’s. This glacial tundra has taken all the warmth from my limbs, but I know I must keep moving or else the cold will take me for its own. But I’m so, so tired, and my legs finally buckle beneath me and I drop face down onto the ice. I push my hands against the ice, but the combination of my exhausted body and the ruthless wind prevents me from getting up again. I can only wait for death to take me, and hope it isn’t too agonizing.

i whisper in the wind

what are your secrets
i whisper in the wind

this world of yours,
you gambol around it
ever changing

you know our greatest laments
and sorrows
our joys
and triumphs

you carry ghosts 
from long ago
flying on your back
like eagles

you have lasted
so
so
long

we do not yet know
what secrets you hold
what demons you hide
what angels you keep from us

i smile as
i whisper to the wind.

#myrose

Okay. First crush. Let's do this.

My first crush was last year, eighth grade. Well, it was my first real crush. First heart-melting, stomach-fluttering, googly eyes crush. And yes, I had had other crushes before, the kind where you say you like someone just to giggle about them with your friends, and there's no real basis for liking them. But this was totally and absolutely real. I started having feelings for him in about September. Let's call him Daniel. 
    We had assigned seating during lunch (curse the public school system!) so we would all sit together and play BS or whatever. Daniel would always be saying funny things, and soon I thought he was the most hilarious person on earth, and I started noticing other things about him. The little waves in his dirty blond hair, the way he laughed...all the other cheesy things that middle school girls notice and adore. And trust me, I had plenty of time to notice...

#myrose

Okay. First crush. Let's do this.

act

some day
i hope that maybe
i will achieve and
succeed and
be who i want to be.

i will crush that audition
get to hurt and 
love and
dream and
cry
as someone else

i will act in front of
cameras and
bright lights and
microphones.

but for now
all i can do is
hope and
dream and
imagine.

Wind & Mercy

Even before I get off the bus the smell of sour beer wafting from the open windows hits my nose, and my stomach twists itself even tighter into its usual knot. This is not good. I shove my hands into my tattered T-shirt before the other kids can see them trembling, and force myself to walk up the uneven paving stones and to the front door. My mouth dries and my tongue feels like sandpaper, but I manage to open the front door and get inside before I start choking on my own dry sobs. There aren't enough tears in the world to save me. 
    I know that the rough scars patterning my back won't protect me from the everlasting pain. In the mornings I can only force myself to get out of bed by the knowledge that by going to school, I can have 7 whole hours of sweet relief from his tyranny, even though...

Promise Me

"No!"
    My scream echoes across the battlefield. Odilia turns her face towards me just as her attacker wrenches his sword out of her body. She crumples to the ground and I am running, running towards her. An enemy comes at me with his sword raised but I send a pulse of magic towards him, stopping him in his tracks.
     I fall beside Odilia, my trembling hands fluttering around her tear streaked  face.
     “No,” I whisper, casting a protective barrier around the two of us. “No.” 
     I feel a tear slip down my face as my magic fails to heal the gaping wound in her side.
     “Anna...” Her voice is weak and I feel myself shaking with the effort to produce enough magic to save her.
     “Anna. There’s nothing you can do. You know their swords are enchanted.” 
     “No. No, I can’t...

Continue On

A tear slips down my cheek as I stare at my grandmother. Her wrinkled, blue veined hands lie folded on her stomach, her once lively face now pale and unmoving. Her lips, which once always teased a smile, are pinched, smeared with a ghastly red lipstick. Her eyes are closed so I can't see how bright blue they are. She's wearing an ugly green dress, the kind that very old ladies wear. She never acted old, when she was alive. I remember one time we went to an amusement park, and as she rode the scariest roller coaster there, she raised her hands and screamed in delight. I was eight then, and terrified of roller coaster. She had ridden the Daredevil roller coaster just to show me there was nothing to be afraid of. After the ride she told me, "There's nothing to be afraid of, see, kostbarer*? It was fun."
    Now she's gone. It...

Continue On

Now she's gone. It...

Promise Me

"No!"
     “Anna. There’s nothing you can do. Their swords are enchanted.” 
     “No. No, I can’t let you...

Lilies Burning

"Lily!" I scream, my voice hoarse and barely heard over the crackling flames. "Lily!"
    "I'm here...I'm stuck...help me, Cora!" Her muffled voice comes from the living room. I seize the door handle to my room and scream as it sizzles against my skin. But I ignore the pain. I have to save my sister. The door opens and I cough as clouds of smoke billow into my burning room. The living room is a swirl of ruby and orange flames, wild and tall. It's frightening.
    "Lily! Where are you?" I cry again, and I hear a scratching noise as my sister shuffles towards me, one leg dragging on the floor. 
    "What happened?" I cough as I hug her close to me.
    "It was a..." She coughs gain, and I help her rip off a piece of her shirt and hold it to her face to help filter the smoke out...

let me fly on wings of paper

let me fly 
on my wings
of paper

splatters of ink
form curved feathers
curling paper
is the structure

my words will
lift me high
above the world we know
above everything

but the world pins me down
my feathers crushed
by politics and life
by anger and hatred

i can't stay down any longer
please
just let me fly
on my wings
of paper.

my ghosts

my ghosts
my whispers of a past
the fluttering of a moth's wings
the rough snap of wind through curled hair
they are always there

beneath the cloud gray 
awning
of the bus stop
their shapes a buffer
against cold metal seats

through the bright
colored displays
of the grocery store
pushing me faster
till I've lost my breath

i can feel their presence
everywhere I go
they protect
they defend
they cause pain
they make me remember
who I once was.

and who I will be.

it flies away from me

it flies away from me
a sigh on the breeze
a whisper in the wind
a breath in the air

silver as the moon
golden as the wheat
that sways and twists
in the breeze

my pen splatters ink
on curling white paper
write
write 
write

it comes in a blink 
a blur
a panorama of motion
a camera's lens
that captures

everything.

when flowers dripped from the skies

when flowers dripped from the skies
i was alone

they came in a
myriad of
black and
gray and
white

the softness of crushing petals
thorns in my palm
the slender hardness of a stem

they fell on the rooftops
across chimneys
and lived.

but they floated on water
voicing their protest
against
the darkness of
the unknown.

and what we do not know.

my ghosts

my ghosts
my whispers of a past
the fluttering of a moth's wings
they are always there

beneath the cloud gray 
awning
of the bus stop
their shapes a buffer
against cold metal seats

through the bright
colored displays
of the grocery store
pushing me faster
till I've lost my breath

i can feel their presence
everywhere I go
they protect
they defend
they cause pain
they make me remember
who I once was.

and who I will be.

neverlast

the best things
never last.

a flower.
bursting a rainbow
of color
withers
and dies.

the rainfall.
fierce and wild
it knows no bounds
but soon surrenders
to serene
sunshine.

we.
we do not last
forever
as fleeting as a flash of fur
a mere speck of time
no time left for words.

let's just be together.

Child of the Rain

the child of the rain
she drank in the clouds
she breathed in the thunder
and ran with the lightning.

but once in a while
she’ll tire of her labor
of endlessly living with the rain
and let the heavens rain down

and so
when you hear the rain come down
the thunder rumble
and the lightning fork across gray blue skies

remember 
the child of the rain.

Harry Potter

the first year
he destroyed

the second year 
he killed

the third year
he helped

the fourth year
he fought

the fifth year
he was tricked

the sixth year 
he saw death

the seventh year
he battled the Dark Lord.

Novel Writing Competition 2019

And The Snow Keeps Falling

A woman strides through a crowd, her black coat fluttering around her. She slips through people adorned with turkey hats and leaf scarves. The Macy’s Thanksgiving parade is the perfect cover, with its large, chaotic crowds. As she strides, she glances back every now and then. A man in a black leather jacket has been following her for some time, ever since she left ISCA- the International Society of Criminal Affairs.
          The man shoves people out of the way as he pursues her. When his jacket slips aside, you can see the silvery glint of a gun at his hip. He’s seething- his fingers twitch near the hilt of his gun, but he doesn’t draw it from its holster. It will be of no use to him until he finds her.
          The woman is jogging through the crowds now, keeping her head down. The people around her scream delightedly as the Snoopy float comes into view,...

Novel Writing Competition 2019

And The Snow Keeps Falling

Novel Writing Competition 2019

And The Snow Keeps Falling

A woman strides through a crowd, her black coat fluttering around her. She slips through people adorned with turkey hats and leaf scarves. The Macy’s Thanksgiving parade is the perfect cover, with the large, chaotic crowds. As she strides, she glances back every now and then. A man in a black leather jacket has been following her for some time, ever since she left ISCA- the International Society of Criminal Affairs.

figure in the flames

a figure in the flames.
they beckon
and call.

they claw at log confines
these figures of the past.

they are blind
flickering against rainbow metal.

these memories of mine
these dead figures in the flames.

Novel Writing Competition 2019

And The Snow Keeps Falling

The woman is jogging through the crowds now, keeping her head down. The people around her scream delightedly as the Snoopy float comes into...

Throbbing

the mallet is
pounding
pounding
pounding.

the dagger is
slicing 
slicing 
slicing.

the axe is
chopping
chopping
chopping.

the headache is
hurting
hurting
hurting.

Novel Writing Competition 2019

And The Snow Keeps Falling

Lily Daniels strides through the crowd, her black pea coat fluttering around her. She slips through people adorned with turkey hats and leaf scarves. The Macy’s Thanksgiving parade is the perfect cover, with the large, chaotic crowds. As she strides, she glances back every now and then. A man in a black leather jacket has been following her for some time, ever since she left ISCA- the International Society of Criminal Affairs.
          The man in the leather jacket shoves people out of the way as he pursues her. When his jacket slips aside, you can see the silvery glint of a gun at his hip. He’s seething- his fingers twitch near the hilt of his gun, but he doesn’t draw it from its holster. It will be of no use to him until he finds her.
          Lily is jogging through the crowds now, keeping her head down. The people around her scream delightedly as the...

Novel Writing Competition 2019

And The Snow Keeps Falling

The Small Gray Hard Drive

Alexandra Cooper walks down a bustling New York City sidewalk. Her black pea coat flutters around her as she strides across an intersection, her black heeled ankle boots clicking rapidly against the well worn asphalt. She is a woman with a purpose.
      As she smoothly pivots towards Times Square, a haughty looking man bumps into her. They eye each other for a moment and then move on in opposite directions. As he walks away, he fingers a small gray hard drive. Alexandra looks back at him and nods discreetly, then slides back into the crowds of shoppers.
      Treyvon Andler slips the hard drive into his pocket and continues on his way. A few minutes later he stops at a food truck and empties his pockets to find his leather wallet. He puts a pile of money on top of the hard drive and the truck owner takes it but drops the hard...

The Small Gray Hard Drive

Treyvon Andler slips the hard drive into his pocket and continues on his way. A few minutes later he stops at a food truck, and empties his pockets to find his leather wallet. He puts a pile of money on top of the hard drive and the truck owner takes it but drops the hard...

the wild.

the wild.
the place of trees
and vines
and animals
that we don't know.

the wild.
a place of hunger
and violence
and killing.

the wild.
the most beautiful place
you can imagine
with sun through flower petal
dewdrops on fern fronds
and kind eyes
staring through the trees.

breath like a snowfall.

She is walking down the street, huddled deep into her fur lined coat. Snowflakes drift through her hair and land on her eyelashes. She looks happy, her eyes bright and sparkling. The shops surrounding us are closed, dark for the holidays. I slip back into the shadows as she glances in my direction. No, I am the shadows. I am swift and stealthy, an untrackable. And it is my turn for the kill. I do not know why we chose her for the target. I never know why we do anything. But we do anyway. Her boots crunch through the snow, but the whisper of the wind is louder than my boots. 
    Her nose is red, and her cheeks ruddy. The bite of this dark winter's night is cold and hard, and icicles hang like daggers from the shop awnings. None are near as sharp as mine. It was given to me as a gift from...

dancing on a silent stage

as i twirl 
and tumble
and trip
and spin

across the silent stage.

as i wish
and hope
and dare to dream

across the silent stage.

with my silent audience
no noise
no noise
no noise
and they applaud silently.

as i dance across my silent stage.

eyes like the ocean

eyes like the ocean has you,
my lady,
eyes like the ocean.

sometimes raging,
storming blue
a windswept sea,
crashing waves and foaming devils.

Sometimes tranquil, crystal green
waves curve, o'er black glass rocks,
the peace in the world.

eyes like the ocean has you,
my lady.
eyes like the ocean.

eyes like the ocean

eyes like the ocean has you,
my lady,
eyes like the ocean.

sometimes raging, stormy blue
a windswept sea,
crashing waves and foaming devils.

Sometimes tranquil, crystal green
waves curve, o'er smooth glass rocks,
the peace in the world.

eyes like the ocean has you,
my lady.
eyes like the ocean.

Please #tirelessregret

nothing can compare.
i know i did wrong
i know you can't forget what I did
I don't blame you.

I thought it out in my mind
but it came out wrong
my words like daggers
stabbing, spearing.
I'm sorry.

I've hurt somewhere no one can see
deep in the soul
and all because of me.

I know you can't forget what I've done
I know I'm a terrible person.
But please...forgive me?

eyes like the ocean

eyes like the ocean has you,
my lady,
eyes like the ocean.

sometimes raging, stormy blue
a windswept sea,
crashing waves and foaming devils.

Sometimes tranquil, crystal green
waves curve, o'er smooth glass rocks,
the peace in the world.

eyes like the ocean has you,
my lady.
eyes like the ocean.

These Things we Call Animals

Did you know
That these things we call animals
Are not animals at all

Did you know that pigs 
love belly rubs
That elephants go
back to their friends’ graves
to visit them

Did you know that an orca
swam with her dead calf
for a long time
before she could finally bear to leave it

And did you know
these things we call animals
are not so unemotional as we think

These things we call animals
The things we slaughter love belly rubs
The things we poach visit their friends’ graves
And the things that we capture and put on public display love their young
These things we call animals.

Cassie

Our phone rings and I jump up from my desk, surprised. Nobody ever calls us. Not since Cassie died. I pick it up carefully, holding it as someone would a giant tarantula, slightly afraid. 
    “Hello?”
    “Hello, Mother.” The voice is raspy, but with a slight hiss to it, and my hand starts to shake.
    “Who is this? I...I’m not a mother…” I gulp and the phone almost slips from my hand, it’s so slick with sweat.
    “You haven’t forgotten me, have you, Mother? It’s your dear daughter.” I can hear the person on the other end laughing slightly, darkly.
    “No,” I gasp. “No, I have no daughter. Don’t ever call us again!” And then I slam the phone down on the receiver and slump to the floor, quaking from head to toe.
    “Is everything all right, Maria? Maria?” My husband looks at me huddled on the floor, my face as pale...

Album Review Competition 2019

Sound of Silence

There’s a deep meaning to the song ‘Sound of Silence’ by Simon & Garfunkel. The lyrics are talking about how everyone is separated and disconnected from each other, and they keep dreaming and hoping without doing.
          At the beginning of the song, it says “And the vision that was planted in my brain/Still remains/Within the sound of silence.” This means that the person had an idea, but they didn’t share it because it was in the sound of silence, and the person didn’t dare to break the barrier held by the people.
          Later in the song, the person is suddenly struck by the notion and the lyrics go like this, “People talking without speaking/People hearing without listening.” This refers to the idea that people are so disconnected that they will listen but they can’t connect with the other people on a deeper level with their...

autumn leaves on the car window

a drizzle of rain
sky like a dusty pearl
as we drive through
our rainy town

leaves in grand colors
gold red brown orange
float down from misty trees
through a haze of clear glass rain

they drift down onto the hood
along with that drizzle of rain
autumn leaves
on the car window

and then they swoosh away
with gusts of sharp wind
and our autumn leaves on our car window
are there no more.

Album Review Competition 2019

Sound of Silence

Album Review Competition 2019

Sound of Silence

Album Review Competition 2019

Sound of Silence

ocean

the curve of the waves
seething with power
they crash on the white sand
shores.

as foam curls
hisses
and retreats
an eternal dance
with music only it can hear.

and I cry to the winds
my voice taken and mangled
a single whisper

fyre #Experience

bird
takes to the heavens

like a flare
against
blue skies

red 
orange
golden

wings expand
like a ship’s sails
fire erupts
on the skyline

single molten feather
brushes against mortal cheek
singes
and burns

so beautiful
the fiery glow
emanating

so deadly
the hot flames
that rise from silhouetted figure
clawing up
to the velvet sky

as I burn
and burn
flames burning
my every orifice

as the firebird
takes flight.

alone in the sky

nothing and everything
that's what surrounds me
nothing and everything.

white clouds
make figures around me
a rabbit
a fish
a castle in the sky

my wings cup, 
the wind is powerful
whistling around me

my wings stop
i drop like a stone
an ebony stone
falling from the heavens.

WINNERS!!! #realitymeetsfantasy

Hello again!

First of all, I would like to say thank you for submitting your pieces! They were a joy to read.

So, here it is!

In 1st place, we have “Elskede en av havet” by BurningMidnightOil. What I really appreciate about this piece was the description that you used. Great job! (Please comment to tell me what piece you want reviewed)

In 2nd place, we have “Hope” by New York_dreamer. I liked how this was a very unique piece, and you used description! 

And the honorary mention is “Kelpie” by Dmoral13. You did an excellent job describing the characters and scenery in this piece. ;)

WINNERS!!! #realitymeetsfantasy

Hello again!

So, here it is!

And the honorary mention is “Kelpie” by Dmoral. You did an excellent job describing the characters and scenery in this piece. ;)

The Silver Locket #justalittlemagic

The wind is blowing in from the east. It ruffles my hair and causes the tall golden grasses to sway dangerously. This is my quiet spot, the place I go to when I need to be alone, feel the sun on my face and smell the salt of the ocean. A breeze sends a clump of my honey colored hair into my face, and as I hook it snugly back behind my ear again, I catch a glimpse of silver. I move my head to the side again and see another flash of silver. So it wasn't a trick of the light. I walk closer to the cliff's edge, looking for what's causing the flashes of silver. The waves crash sullenly against the rocks far, far below, and I marvel at how small I am, a single speck in this world, hardly anything in this vast universe.
    I hear a crunch as I step, and lift...

The Silver Locket #justalittlemagic

I hear a crunch as I step, and lift...

#sixlittlestories

Can you even stop the world?

The trees sway in deathly breeze.

Ruling over my own imaginary world.

Unwritten stories will never rest easy.

The Silver Locket #justalittlemagic

I hear a crunch as I step, and lift...

One-Liner

untitled.

The world can contain any matter of things, good or bad; what matters is what we do about it.

strangling

deep green vines
leaves glossy
shimmering

they curl up a grand old tree
choking
strangling

thick stems
penetrate hundred year old bark
choking strangling

yet a single flower
buttery yellow
thin petals stretching to the sun
grows along the vine
choking
strangling.

Into the Shadows

Chapter #1

“Miss Lowell? Would you care to answer question #4?” Scarlett snapped out of her daydreaming and glanced at the board. It had become quite full of algebra since she had last looked at it. Mrs. Linethra glared expectantly at  over her pink-framed glasses. Scarlett’s eyes, as gray as the sea after a storm, darted over the board as her mind worked furiously. 
She answered promptly, “X is equivalent to 3.74.” Mrs. Linethra nodded in grudging  agreement and went back to droning about the fundamentals of math. Scarlett sank down in her seat as her mind sank back into a mindless stupor.
          She leapt up as the bell rang, its shrill voice drowning out all other noise. The classroom broke out into a symphony of noise as chairs scraped, students yelled to each other from across the room, and math worksheets were shoved carelessly into backpacks. She slung her own plain gray backpack over her shoulder and...

empty chair

the smell of old paste
mildewy paper
like no one has been here
in a million years.

leather bound books
perched on shelves of crooked wood
they crumble when touches
like the remains of ashen wood.

a blanket of dust
covers gold leaf titles
cracked and fragile 
and pricks of gold cover the floor beneath your feet

and in the middle of that 
grand old library
is a single chintz armchair
sagging and molding
that no one has sat in in a hundred long years.

empty chair

the smell of old paste
mildewy paper
like no one has been here
in a million years.

leather bound books
perched on shelves of crooked wood
they crumble when touches
like the remains of ashen wood.

a blanket of dust
covers gold leaf titles
cracked and fragile 

and in the middle of that 
grand old library
is a single chintz armchair
sagging and molding
that no one has sat in in a million years.

inspiration

inspiration is
as fleeting as the flash of sunlight on your window

inspiration is
as beautiful as a wintry forest, dusted in snow

inspiration is
as mysterious as the moon, shrouded in slivers of dark clouds

inspiration is
as irregular as the broken clock that hangs beside your bed

and inspiration is
as colorful as the dawn, the golden globe of light we call the sun bringing a thousand and one colors to our sky.

I'm Hosting a Competition! #realitymeetsfantasy

Hello all!

I've been on this site for a while now, and so many people are posting stuff all the time so it's hard to read everything! That's why I've decided to host a competition. For this competition, I would like you to write a 200-1200 word piece about an event where a person in modern times meets some sort of mythical person or creature. Please let loose your imagination! 

Length: 200-1200 words
Title: Put #realitymeetsfantasy after your title

I know all of you will write amazing pieces but what I'm really looking for is very good description. That's probably what will get you a winning position!

First Place: 3 likes, a follow, and a review of any piece you want
Second Place: 2 likes and a review of a piece that I choose
Honorable Mention: 1 like, a review for whatever piece I choose

Due Date: Please have your piece done and published on this site by the end...

#sixlittlestories

One moment, I lose it all.

Hello all!

Length: 200-1200 words

as life flashes by

as life flashes by
i sit and wait

as life flashes by
i stare out into the sunset

as life flashes by
a take my problems with no comment

and as life flashes by
i hold it gently then let go.

untitled.

i am the air around you
the space that contains you
you cannot see me
yet i am there
i drift through endless universes
i am everything
yet i am nothing.

floating through time
space
and energy
i am everything that surrounds
and i am within you
i have no label
no worldly name
yet my name could be as simple 
as Bob or Sheila.

time is nothing
space is nothing
i have no label
i am untitled.

Hello all!

I've been on this site for a while now, and so many people are posting stuff all the time so it's hard to read everything! That's why I've decided to host a competition. For this competition, I would like you to write a 200-600 word piece about an event where a person in modern times meets some sort of mythical person or creature. Please let loose your imagination! 

Length: 200-1200 words

Hello all!

Length: 200-1200 words

Hello all!

Length: 200-600 words

Honorable Mention: 1 like, a review

Due Date: Please have your piece done and published on this site by the end of August! I will post...

still friends?

are we
still friends

laughing
hugging
all the things of
friendship

talk of
deepest secrets
invite each other
to birthdays

but then you say
something
about politics

i do not agree
but think of
memories shared
our times of friendship

are we still friends?

Gorilla #animind

I open my eyes to the brilliant colors of the rain forest. Shards of sunlight reach through the green leafed canopy, extending warm yellowy fingers towards me. A translucent fog surrounds my family: me, my brother, my mother, and my father, the silverback. I inhale the warm scents of a mango tree, a mango hanging from the topmost branch, its outside as yellow as the lily pushing its way through the dark wet soil at the base of my bed. I jump to my feet and nudge my brother with my knuckles. He grunts in his sleep and rolls over with his back to me, the faintest trace of silvery fur visible on his back, telling our family that one day he will be the silverback.
    I nudge him again, this time harder, and he simply grunts again. I push him over and he leaps up, baring his canines at me.
    Come play, I...

Hello all!

Length: 200-600 words

Honorable Mention: 1 like, a review

Hello all!

Length: 200-600 words

Honorable Mention: 1 like, a review

child of the night

pale lips curve
into a half moon smile
pinpricks of light twinkle
from ebony hair
eyes light up with the brief shine
of a shooting star.

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Becoming the Power

Elderoz turns to me, gripping the sacred staff in his brittle hands.
      “Young elf, you have been chosen by your people to carry the sacred staff and wield the magic within it. Do you accept?”
      I choke the word “Yes” through the lump in my throat. I feel my pointed ears flick nervously. 
      “Then, by the traditions of our people, you are now Supreme Warlock of Djillinai.”
      I take the wood staff. It’s dark against my pale skin. I lay down in the black sand and close my eyes as the magic flows through me. I am ready.

puzzle

a jigsaw puzzle
carefully crafted
the world contained
within

but a single piece is missing,
the last piece lost,
the only piece that can complete us

it is the piece of
conflicts at an end
wars brought to a close
starving children brought food
animals no longer endangered
and climate change reversed
it is the piece of peace.

without it we will never prosper
will never see the day where none suffer
will never save our Earth.

a single piece missing
the last piece lost
the only piece that can complete us
and make us whole again.

untitled.

i am the air around you
the space that contains you
you cannot see me
yet i am there
i drift through endless universes
i am everything
yet i am nothing.

floating through time
space
and energy
i am everything that surrounds
and i am within you
i have no label
no worldly name
yet my name could be as simple 
as Bob or Sheila.

time is nothing
space is nothing
i have no label
i am untitled.

the spark

a fiery spark
red
orange
golden

the single spark
of a fire
burned out long ago
still remains

a glow in the night
spark in the darkness

so small
fire contained
but the spark
ignited.

Standardized Testing

what is the point
of it all

hour after hour 
spent staring at a computer screen
questions and answers
broken pencils and bitten down nails

nerves are high 
brows are furrowed
as we continue this test
of intelligence

however,
what is intelligence

can it be measured 
by math or science
history or language

or is it
creativity
how you think
what you think

what's on the test
is simply a matter of what we’ve memorized
what's been crammed in our brains
through these long years

it is not our intelligence
it is not our identity
and it is most certainly not
our knowledge.

The Hunger Games

draw a name
out of a glass bowl
a raffle 
for death

points for beauty
charisma
strength

fight for your life
run
hide
gather

all enemies
kill to live

what happens next
no one knows

may the odds
be ever in your favor.

ravenclaw

ebony wings expand
glossy feathers shining
the whole world is our book
free to be read

soar into the skies
examine all you find
swoop down 
and find the answer you seek

wit beyond measure
is our greatest treasure
we take to the skies
wings spread wide
ready to take in the world

we are ravenclaw.

sunshine in the trailer park

red and white stripes
adorn a rickety awning
above the rusty trailer

the trailer is small
and not very neat
and you can feel the silver metal
emanating heat

the furniture is mitchmatched
and certainly not new
but there's a special home
beneath all the mildew

a girl and her father
fill their small dwelling
with so many odds and ends
till the house is swelling

special little things
from travels afar
hiking over mountains
and road trips in the car

their life isn't fancy
it's going sort of berserk
but they're happy
in their small dusty trailer park.

sunshine in the trailer park

red and white stripes
adorn a rickety awning
above the rusty trailer

the trailer is small
and not very neat
and you can feel the silver metal
emanating heat

the furniture is mitchmatched
and certainly not new
but there's a special home
beneath all the mildew

a girl and her father
fill their small house
with so many odds and ends
till the house is swelling

special little things
from travels afar
hiking over mountains
and road trips in the car

their life isn't fancy
it's going sort of berserk
but they're happy
in their small dusty trailer park.

Song Writing Competition 2019

waiting

wait for rescue
wait to be saved
wait for all the horrors in life
to pass

we wait for all our problems to be solved
we wait till things fade away
but what if we could change that,
could change things, for ourselves?

our world is dying
overcome by hatred
but what if we could find a way to stop that?

we could change our ways
its not too late
could rescue ourselves
let's break free from the chains that hold us back
let's fight against the hate that rules our world

we can’t wait for someone to rescue us
we can’t wait to be saved
for this is our world, and ours alone,
and no one, but ourselves, can save it.

tired

i'm tired
of all the hate that you bring

i'm tired
of being left in the shadows

i'm tired
of listening to the horrors that you bring upon us

i'm tired
of seeing the havoc that you wreak

and i'm tired
of not doing anything about it.

where to begin

where to begin

maybe that I’m the quiet
obedient
good kid
at school

or possibly the weird
funny
strange kid
with my friends

could it be the open
emotional
worried kid
at home

these people in our lives
so divided by space
and environment
and time

only see one side.

A Signature Capability

Prisoner 3372914

He flourished on a signature capability of being able to know when someone was telling the truth, and when someone was lying. And it was this capability that brought him to be in the Logerton police station on a chilly winter’s eve.
”Name.” Asked the police officer at the front desk.
”Collin Traöner."
”Date of birth.” 
“September 17, 1936.”
“You are cleared for entry.”
Collin stood up on shaky legs, and walked into the titanium room that held the worst criminal that had ever existed. The prisoner- Prisoner 3372914- had matted blonde hair that hung around her face in tangles and knots. Her orange jumpsuit complemented her blue eyes perfectly, and had she not been wearing an expression like something foul smelling was under her nose, she would’ve been quite pretty.
Collin sat down uncomfortably in a chair right in front of the prisoner, his eyes darting to the eight SWAT officers that guarded the doorways. The elderly police chief...

Age Discrimination

Hello friends!
    Okay, so I know this piece isn't the typical thing you find on this site, but I just had to write it down. So there. Just deal with it.
    So, earlier today I was at a birthday party for one of my distant relatives. He was turning three. My two cousins and myself were at the party, and we were the oldest kids there. There was a monster truck piñata and when it came time, all the kids lined up(I use the term 'lined up' loosely. It didn't resemble a line in any way.) to whack the piñata. I sort of wanted to get in the line because who doesn't like piñatas? But then my grandma said we couldn't. Because we wanted all the littler kids to have fun. But let's not let the big kids have fun.
    And so, all the little kids were allowed to have fun. But not us. And you...

Broken

(1st verse)
You're crying in the corner
Your head is hung low
Your skies are a shade of gray
And you can't escape the shadows
The shadows that bind you

(Chorus)
Singeing my skin
And breaking my bones
Till I just can't
Wait to get home
Home, sweet home

(2nd verse)
A few are reaching out to you
They try to get you through
But it's hard to find a way to begin
After all that you've been through
And the words that hurt you, break you
They still never end

(Chorus)
Singeing my skin
And breaking my bones
Till I just can't
Wait to get home
Home, sweet home

(3rd verse)
So sorrowful, so lonely
Filled with all, all despair
And the words that float inside your head
What pain could compare
To those words…
To those words…

(Chorus)
Singeing my skin
And breaking my bones
Till I just can't
Wait to get home
Home, sweet home

(4th verse) ...

dragon roar

misty blue
hidden by forests
a cave

wings folded neatly
at scaled flanks
rack of sapphire horns
gleam in the misty blue

tail curled
spikes run down
your back

a huff
of warm air
from a scarred muzzle

can you hear
the dragon roar.

sky falling

shards fall
clear blue glass

the sky rains down
blue
and white

one mighty hit
to our beloved earth
and the sky falls

first cracks appear
in the dome above all
then small pieces
harmless in size
fall

more cracks 
till the dome is shattered

one movement
and the sky falls

Rock A Bye Baby In The Treetop #nurseryrhymecontest

The baby laughed, clutching at the glittering lights floating above it. The mother smiled and sank some into a wicker chair, watching the baby in its crib. The baby was three weeks old already, and the mother had yet to name it. She had been thinking of Sarah, or maybe Tilly. The mother was patient, and never rushed into anything, and she simply didn’t think a name was necessary at the moment.
         The fairies fluttering lazily over the babies’ crib were tittering among themselves, when they suddenly froze in midair. The baby frowned and puckered its mouth, ready to let loose a wail if the fairies didn’t continue fluttering about. Suddenly the fairies voices became louder, but were still no louder than a crickets’ chirping.
         “What is wrong, little ones?” The mother asked, and the fairies rushed over to her, talking into her ear.
         “Danger!” The fairies squeaked, performing anxious loop de...

A Signature Capability

Prisoner 3372914

”Collin Traöner.”
”Date of birth.” 
“September 17, 1936.”
“You are cleared for entry.”

A Signature Capability

Prisoner 3372914

”Collin Traöner.”
”Date of birth.” 
“September 17, 1936.”
“You are cleared for entry.”

dragon roar

misty blue
hidden by forests
a cave

wings folded neatly
at scaled flanks
rack of sapphire horns
gleam in the misty blue

tail curled
spikes run down
your back

a huff
of warm air
from a scarred muzzle

can you hear
the dragon roar.

Vera Atrancra: Chapter #1

Chapter #1

“Princess!” Someone shouts. The guards following me are gaining. My lips curve into a smile and I urge my horse through the gateway and out into the village. My horse’s name is Shaktik, and I chose him myself when the horse traders came. They brought all kinds of horses, even Ritellians, which have wings and are very rare in Meralyee. But I chose Shaktik. He is absolutely gorgeous. His coat and mane are midnight black and he has a white star hidden underneath his forelock.
I look back and see the guards standing beneath the archway on the path to the palace. They’re both panting heavily and have their hands on their knees. I dig my heels into Shaktik’s sides. He gallops faster, and sweat foams on his neck. The pretty little village speeds past us, and it’s hard to make out the cobblestones lining the path. I love this freedom. At the palace I have to take...

where to begin

where to begin

maybe that I’m the quiet
obedient
good kid
at school

the weird
funny
strange kid
with my friends

the open
emotional
worried kid
at home

these people in our lives
so divided by space
and environment
and time

only see one side.

These Things we Call Animals

Did you know
That these things we call animals
Are not animals at all

Did you know that pigs 
love belly rubs
That elephants go
back to their friends’ graves
to visit them

Did you know that an orca
swam with her dead calf
for a long time

And did you know
these things we call animals
are not so unemotional as we think

These things we call animals
The things we slaughter love belly rubs
These things we call animals.

Fantasy Writing Competition 2019

The Siren in the Pond

The sound of trickling water wakes me from my deep sleep. I slip out of my bed and inhale sharply as my feet hit the stone cold floorboards of the cabin. I quickly grab my winter coat and wrap it around myself, shivering. The roughly hewn floorboards creak under my feet as I walk into the cozy living room. The glowing embers in the stone fireplace are dim enough so that the starlight coming through the window outshines them. The iron wood holder beside the fireplace is empty, and with a sigh I peek out of the gingham-curtained window.
           Snow is gently drifting in the wind, icicles dripping from the roof, and despite the cold, loneliness of it all, I find myself quite content in my cabin in the woods. There’s no place more beautiful than this, this place that isn’t affected by pollution or the noisy bustle of the city. I suppose I must...

The Siren in the Pond

The sound of trickling water wakes me from my deep sleep. I slip out of my bed and inhale sharply as my feet hit the stone cold floorboards of the cabin. I quickly grab my winter coat and wrap it around myself, shivering. The roughly hewn floorboards creak under my feet as I walk into the living room. The glowing embers in the stone fireplace are dim enough so that the starlight coming through the window outshines them. The iron wood holder beside the fireplace is empty, and with a sigh I peek out of the gingham-curtained window.
           Snow is gently drifting in the wind, icicles dripping from the roof, and despite the cold, loneliness of it all, I find myself quite content in my cabin in the woods. There’s no place more beautiful than this, this place that isn’t affected by pollution or the noisy bustle of the city. I suppose I must get...

The Siren in the Pond

the future

in our dreams
for the future
we are usually rich
usually famous

a big house, 
a car, 
doting admirers

fame, wealth
we make childish plans 
for the future

in our future
we don’t see
sickness
death
accidents

i know it sounds dark
but we can’t see our future
so how do we know?

believe

i believe
in magic

they say I’m crazy
insane
a weirdo

but they cannot shake me
from magic

magic is my counsel
i want to believe
i know it’s real
it has to be real

i want to believe in this world
of magic
of wands and dragons
sphinxes and cauldrons
witches and wizards

it has to be real.

flower in the crack in the pavement

dirty cities
litter lining streets
rats crawling
people shouting

factories chug away
in a mindless symphony
cars scream
and skitter
on asphalt roads

but out of the madness
out of the fray
out of our human chaos

a single flower
blooms out of the pavement

My Dystopian Story Project

I wake to the sound of sirens. I feel around my small nightstand for my glasses and put them on. Everything is covered with an early morning blurriness. From the sirens I assume that another raid is happening. I can hear airplanes sputtering above our walled compounds, going to battle the Canilitorians. I push aside the sturdy gray chair in the corner of my cell, and pull on the handle of the trapdoor underneath. It opens, and I see a rickety staircase leading into the pitch black darkness below.
           As I walk down the staircase in my sleepwear, I wonder where the raid is this time. The staircase comes to a sudden stop and I stumble over the hem of my nightgown. My nightgown is frayed and ripped, because it has been reused, just like everything else. Everything in The City has been used by others. We have nothing new. My grandmother used to...

sky falling

shards fall
clear blue glass

the sky rains down
blue
and white

one mighty hit
to our beloved earth
and the sky falls

first cracks appear
in the dome above all
then small pieces
harmless in size
fall

more cracks 
till the dome is shattered

then one movement
and the sky falls

stage

bustle backstage
directors call
actors flurry
costumes missing

go on stage
dusty black floor
pose

heavy curtains
dark red
rise

music cues
monologue
dialogue

lights
in the spotlight

lines recited
roll off the tongue
to cheering crowds

Medieval

archers
princesses
well wenches
knights in shining armor

king and queen
proudly wave
from their place
above the joust

from far and wide
they come
to see shows of
juggling
jousting
and to eat everything on a stick

welcome 
to the Renaissance Faire

Castle

see the castle
on the hill

turrets rising
battlements ready
a looming castle
on the flowery hill

stones cut
and carved
perfectly fitted
lining the walls and doors

a single flag
white and
green and
purple

flying proudly
above the castle
on the hill

shake

someone says
something

in your desk
Chromebook
in front of 
your red face

feel anger
boiling in 
your veins

you want to tell 
that someone
that they’re 
awful people
want them to feel your anger
at them

you shake with anger
but do not do

My Dystopian Story Project

a growl in the night

a growl
in the night

a growl in the night
so close
but you cannot see
the growler

all around you
rumbling
warning
ferocious

run
or
cower
by the campfire

scared of the darkness
scared of the growl

all in a growl
in the night.

The Hunger Games

draw a name
out of a glass bowl
a raffle 
for death

points for beauty
charisma
strength

fight for your life
run
hide
gather

all enemies
kill to live

what happens next
no one knows

let the Hunger Games
begin.

Vera Atrancra: Chapter #1

Chapter #1

“Veralyn!” Someone shouts. The guards following me are gaining. My lips curve into a smile and I urge my horse through the gateway and out into the village. My horse’s name is Shaktik, and I chose him myself when the horse traders came. They brought all kinds of horses, even Ritellians, which have wings and are very rare in Meralyee. But I chose Shaktik. He is absolutely gorgeous. His coat and mane are midnight black and he has a white star hidden underneath his forelock.

Vera Atrancra: Chapter #1

Chapter #1

“Vera!” Someone shouts. The people following me are gaining. My lips curve into a smile and I urge my horse through the gateway and out into the village. My horse’s name is Shaktik, and I chose him myself when the horse traders came. They brought all kinds of horses, even Ritellians, which have wings and are very rare in Meralyee. But I chose Shaktik. He is absolutely gorgeous. His coat and mane are midnight black and he has a white star hidden underneath his forelock.

green

green is the color
of spring

ferns
unfurl
their deep green leaves

soft leaves
surround
curling petals
soft pink
rose

rain patters
onto
vines of thorns
dripping off
like teardrops

green is the color
of life.

phoenix

bird
takes to the heavens

like a flare
against
blue skies

red 
orange
golden

wings expand
like a ship’s sails
fire erupts
on the skyline

stare with
wonder
fiery glow
emanating

from 
the firebird.

Dragon Breath

scales ripple
like silk on water

blue 
gold
fiery red

scales glisten
in the air
swoosh of wind
take flight

great wings
flap through
invisible air
as my dragons
wheel about

look into my eyes
frosty blue
and feel my pain.

yellow

yellow is the color
of the sun

the sun gives us life
heat
warmth

yellow is the color of
buttercups

flowers that sway in
the light spring breeze
budding open
for the world
to see

yellow is the color of
happiness.

not forever

things live
and die
they are not forever

a simple
rose
beautiful
and full
does not live forever

even a star
a ball if fire
and gas
does not live forever

mere humans
full of life
do not live forever

enjoy it
while you can

Tiger

eyes gleam
through darkness

yellow
flecks of gold
stare into the
fierce eyes

muscles rippling
under
orange and black
coat

paws padding
silently
through the
jungle

watch me stalk
through
tall grasses
or
lush trees

A Bad Beginning

three children
a rickety trolley
to Briny Beach

cloudy
rainy
on the beach

a misty figure
approaches
bring news
of death

three orphans.

Violet
Klaus
and Sunny
Baudelaire

through
the treacherous
path of this world.

A Bad Beginning

three children
on a rickety trolley
to Briny Beach

cloudy
rainy
on the beach

a misty figure
approaches
and brings news
of death

three orphans.

Violet
Klaus
and Sunny
Baudelaire

through
the treacherous
ways of the world.

melting

grand glaciers
melting

icy waters
trickle down
frosty mountaintops

rivulets of water
stream down the
glaciers

into the water
rising
melting
creep up 
the banks

a drop of water 
drifts down
the mountainside

In The Shadows: Chapter #2

Chapter #2

Scarlett, Henry, and Hazel walked through the portal into a large, metal room. It was rather like an airplane hangar. Odd looking gadgets adorned the walls, some humming with an invisible electricity, some simply sitting there, looking at the threesome. This was a room that was in no dimension known to humanity. It was a room designed by the organization that Scarlett, Henry, and Hazel worked for: the Supernatural Beings Combating Evil, or S.B.C.E.
         These unlikely three were in this organization because they had one thing in common. They all had powers. Henry was able to see the future in occasional visions, and had mild telekinetic powers. Hazel could control plants in any way that she chose, and was able make seeds grow into flowers with a flick of her fingers. But Scarlett was the most powerful of the three, because she had a very unusual set of powers.         
She had elemental powers, meaning she...

In The Shadows: Chapter #2

Chapter #2

In The Shadows: Chapter #2

Chapter #2

In The Shadows: Chapter #1

Chapter #1

“Miss Lowell? Would you care to answer question #4?” Scarlett snapped out of her daydreaming and glanced at the board. It had become quite full of algebra since she had last looked at it. Mrs. Linethra glared expectantly at her. Scarlett’s stormy gray-blue eyes darted over the board as her mind worked furiously.
She answered promptly, “X is equivalent to 3.74.” Mrs. Linethra nodded in agreement and went back to droning on and on about the fundamentals of math and Scarlett sank back into a mindless stupor.
         She leapt up as the bell rang, its shrill voice drowning out all other noise. The classroom broke out into a symphony as chairs scraped, voices murmured, and math worksheets were shoved carelessly into backpacks. She slung her plain gray backpack over her shoulder and walked towards the door. Something slammed into her side and she was knocked off balance. Derrick, the class troublemaker, had run into her in a...

still friends?

are we
still friends

laughing
hugging
all the things of
friendship

talk of
deepest secrets
invite each other
to birthdays

but then you say
something
about politics

i do not agree
but think of
memories shared
our times of friendship

are we still friends?

The Final Countdown

it’s the 
final countdown
my friends 

the end of school
is nigh

two weeks away from the
sticky hot summer
students are crazy,
teachers bored

but still we have standardized testing.

those horrid tests
keep us so long
glued to our seats
no place to go

i sigh and i tap
the desk with 
my number two pencil

waiting for it to end.

In The Shadows: Chapter #1

Chapter #1

run

run
through the desert

run like
the wind

feel the sweat
run down
your back

mile after mile
legs pumping
body aching

sun burning down
a fiery blaze
urge yourself
faster
faster
faster.

secrets

look on the surface
you cannot see
the secret
that lies within me

the surface
always smiling
always caring
what is this secret inside

heavy as a boulder
light as a cloud
burden
or
cherish

the secret lies within.

mirror reflection

I look in the mirror

dirty jeans
striped top
blue sneakers

brown hair
stormy eyes
a
round face

medium nose
freckled cheekbone
rose color
lips

these things are me
but they are not me

i smile.

this is me.

Dragon Breath

scales ripple
like silk on water

blue 
gold
fiery red

scales glisten
in the air
swoosh of wind
take flight

great wings
flap through
invisible air
as my dragons
wheel about

look into my eyes
frosty blue
and feel my pain.

in the creek

in the creek
water trickles down

the glistening water
trickles
over smooth river rocks 

warm
from the
sun shining down

tiny pebbles
underfoot
tiny homes
for salamanders
and crawfish

water runs
over my toes
dowm the creek

going places.

flower in your hands

cup the flower
in your hands

calloused hands
work hard all day
these delicate petals
caress your
fingertips

a hard day’s work
sunset falling
mud spattered boots
back aching

cup the flower
in your hands

feel the frail petals
soft
and
warm
from a day in the sun

and still the sun shines down.

butterfly

out of the chrysalis
wet wings
folded

come out of the
papery cocoon
into this new world

your wings snap out
with a sound
like wet silk
they are
beautiful

pure orange and black
colors contrasting
spots

you spread your wings
yearn to fly
hopefully flap
your wings

and fall.

eruption

streaks of fire
erupt out
of the volcano

soot fills the sky
and rains down
like hellish snow

rivers of lava 
stream down the volcano
destroying anything
in its path

Dragon Breath

scales ripple
like silk on water

blue 
gold
fiery red

scales glisten
in the air
swoosh of wind
take flight

great wings
flap through
invisible air
as my dragons
wheel about

look into my eyes
frosty blue
and feel my pain.

red

red is the color
of sunset

when the sun
goes down
and night casts its shadow
the sky turns
red
like a fresh rose
unfurling its petals
from a small green bloom

red is the color of blood
of the thing that makes
us humans
mortal
and is
spilled
every day

red is the color
of love.

sympathy

you’ve just received news
that your
best friend
died.

the people around you
swarm
offerings of pie
and casserole

pats on the back,
warm hugs,
and things they do not know.

”They had a great life”
”it’s going to be okay.”
but those things they do not know

sympathy is nice
but everyone thinks
that there’s 
a silver lining
to every cloud.

what you cannot teach me

what you cannot teach me
is beyond recognition

you cannot teach me
the mysteries of the world

you cannot teach me
how
or who
to love

you cannot teach me
what will happen 
in life after this
because no one knows

you cannot teach me
who I am.

Space

space
is unknown 

swirling 
purple galaxies

planets of
all colors
spinning

stars sparkling
through the ages

a mighty explosion.

a star dies.

a star is born.

honey bees

honey bees
buzz
out of their hives

to the flowers
glowing with early morning 
dew

collect the pollen
back to the hive

fill the honeycomb
slots
with dripping
glistening
golden
honey

all that work for a bit
of golden honey

illusions

illusion
only a trick
of the mind 

swirling circles
of black and white
a magician
pulling cards

mind boggling tricks
we do not understand

illusions
are only
tricks of the mind

falling star

falling stars
dreampt upon
wished upon

streaking through
the midnight sky
tails of light
streaming behind

disappear 
reach the earth
hit

past the 
stoic
glittering stars

past the 
crescent moon

falling stars
dreampt upon
wished upon

blood stained

the blood stained grasses
of the battlefield

shots fired
smoke fills the air
bullets speed past
the retreating figures

cannons boom
hit solid ground
so many lives lost
all in one shell

bodies lying
lifeless
on the ground

still figures
in the blood stained
grasses
of the battlefield

certain

in this world
some things are certain

the tide creeping
up
on white sand beaches

the globe of fire
we call the sun
rising to the east

the swaying of trees
in 
a light
summer breeze

but things
are not always
certain
they creep up 
on us
like monsters from the dark
but sometimes
like a flower from the ground

fire and rain

only water
quenches the flames

but flames 
do not
quench rain

fire comes
forth
aggressive
it seeks harm
and destroys this in
its path

rain washes
away
the sorrows
and quenches 
the fiery bursts
of fire

rain quenches fire.
but fire cannot quench rain.

map of our world

this map of our world
all colored over
with hundreds of color

great splodges
of tan,
illuminating
brown sanded deserts

the blue
that takes over
creeping over 
sand beaches

the green
of
coniferous forests
you cannot see
the animals
roaming within

this map of our world

time

time winds
our clocks

this human understanding
of time
is not understanding

time is
but an essence
we do not know
what time is

time is the memories
bad
and
good
and the times
we
share together

evergreen forest

in the deep green
forest
of evergreens

speckled fawns lay
by their mother’s side
their brown eyes
wide with 
wonder

bears lumber
through shady glens
their claws glistening with dew
from early morning

rabbits hop
through sunny meadows
their soft pink noses
quivering

life goes on
in the deep green 
forest
of evergreens

wind

wind

wind can be soft
a light
breeze

wind can be
a monster
tearing down trees

wind comes before
the rainstorm
and after
a breath

but wind brings us scents
of honeysuckle
and roses
and someone barbecuing 
in a grill
out back.

The Final Countdown

it’s the 
final countdown
my friends 

the end of school
is nigh

two weeks away from the
sticky hot summer
students are crazy,
teachers bored

but still we have standardized testing.

those horrid tests
keep us so long
glued to our seats
no place to go

i sigh and i tap
the desk with 
my number two pencil

waiting for it to end.

Banana Muffins

on the topic of
breakfast

i would rather 
not
have soggy cereal
or 
frozen waffles

i want the moist 
deliciousness 
of banana muffins

that soft
muffin
browned all over

a little banana
chunk
sticking out of 
the side

the miracle of banana muffins.

sorrow

sorrow is the thing
that holds us all down
keeps us pinned
to the floor

sorrow at loss
sorrow at for things
you do not have
sorrow at thoughts
of memories
from long ago

sorrow bites
worse than the
fiercest beast
sorrow contains
our souls

sorrow takes over
and rules your body
as a cruel dictator

you must get up.

rainstorm

the soft grey clouds
after the rainstorm

the rainstorm
that battered
at the small house 

the drops like teardrops 
raining from the sky
water leaving streaks 
on the window

cleaning the panes 
of dirty glass

the soft grey rainclouds
after the rainstorm

a light breeze softens the blow.

Loss (for contest started by PANDABEAR)

the loss of a friend
so dear and true

it rips at your soul
that friend who comforted,
listened,
and heard

that friend 
who stayed
beside you

gone like a rainstorm
faster than the breeze

great glaciers melt away faster
than sorrow

The Meadow

the meadow 
this graveyard

in the meadow
once roamed
the rabbits with
their noses quivering

once buzzed the bees 
collecting their pollen
fat lazy bumblebees

this beautiful meadow
once humming with harmony
of the natural world
is stained with blood.
A graveyard.

The Surface

they only see 
what's on the surface

they don't try to know me
they don't try to understand me

they don't know what happens in my head
they can't know what I have experienced

they simply see that sweet surface
the teacher's pet
the goody two shoes 
is all they see

but they don't know me.

Ocean

the ocean with
its breaking waves
crashing on the white sand
of the beach where children play

we do not know
what's down there
we have no idea
of the mysteries
hidden below the frothing surface

but the waves crash 
and the water foams
and we are happy
though we don't know
what's below that
clear blue surface

Lighthouse

the spotlight
on the crashing waves

guide the ships
through the water
where many sailors
have met their peril

red and white
striped like candy
it looms above
the icy waves

the round circle of light
illuminating the way
for broken ships
circling round and round
like a tape stuck on rewind

the lighthouse 
on its rock
above the 
raging sea

In The Shadows

Chapter #1

She leapt up as the bell rang, its shrill voice drowning out all other noise. The classroom broke out into a symphony as chairs scraped, voices murmured, and math worksheets were shoved carelessly into backpacks. She...

Writing

Chewing my pen
Till it's a black inky mess
Waiting for inspiration
To strike

Writing on the keyboard
Tapping rapidly
On the keys
Delete

Typing on the typewriter
Clicking nervously
Misclick
Scribble it out

Writing on paper
Chewing the pen
Write a word
Crumple the paper

These Things we Call Animals

Did you know
That these things we call animals
Are not animals at all

Did you know that pigs 
love belly rubs
That elephants go
back to their friends’ graves
to visit them

Did you know that an orca
swam with her dead calf
for a long time

And did you know
these things we call animals
are not so unemotional as we think

These things we call animals
The things we slaughter love belly rubs
These things we call animals.

Technology

Fingers glued to the keyboard
Eyes frozen open
Looking at this fake world
That we call gaming

Eyes not moving
Not moving at all
since breakfast

All is a blur
Outside of this screen
Go on a quest
Find hidden coins

Have an old fashioned race
of Mario Kart
Take care of fake animals
In this fake animal world

Glued to the seat
Eyes on the screen
Haven’t eaten real food
In two days.

Vines

Vines curl down
from old oak trees

Thick and broad
leafy green

Or just coming up
from the crumbly dirt

Vines can strangle
and they can protect

Just as each lovely rose
has a thorn

Each blood red petal
Is paired with an inconspicuous thorn

The thorn that pricks
when you don’t know it’s there

Harry Potter

the first year
he destroyed

the second year 
he killed

the third year
he helped

the fourth year
he fought

the fifth year
he was tricked

the sixth year 
he saw death

the seventh year
he battled the Dark Lord

Harry Potter

the first year
he destroyed

the second year 
he killed

the third year
he helped

the fourth year
he fought

the fifth year
he was tricked

the sixth year 
he saw death

the seventh year
he defeated the Dark Lord

Fire

ruby flames licking the grate
orange and yellow and gold
there are no words
to describe the beauty of fire

the fire is magnificent
it frees itself from the container
that we call a fireplace

its heat shines on our faces
making them glow red
we must get out of the house
before the flames become
a raging monster

once so contained
once so small
now a fierce monster

now blazing and consuming all in its path
the flames
that started out so small

New Kid Part 2

I am the new kid
In the cafeteria
With a tray of wilted green beans
And gray meat

Where do I sit
On this first day
Of a new era

There is no one that I know
No one has reached out
To find who I am

I plead silently

Can I sit at your table
Or yours

Will I be able to join
One of these groups
In the cafeteria
As a new kid.

Other Side of my Face

At school and
At home
Are two very different places

At home 
I am the angel
Always sweet
Always kind

At school it is different

Surrounded by people 
Always cursing
Always shouting
Always

At school
I am loud
I am rough with my friends 
Mean comebacks 
And cursing

At school
And at home
Are two very different places
And people only see one side of this face.

The Beauty of this World

Have you ever even noticed
The beauty of this world

The small yellow flower
Sprouting out of a crack in the pavement
The small grey pebbles
Lining the bed of a polluted stream

A rainbow that arches above even the heavens
And never comes down
Or the sky blue skies that make a dome above our factories
That are polluting the world

These small beauties
Of this world
That we never notice
And never appreciate
Through our factories and industrialization.

A Whole New World

Disney Princesses
With their too small waists
And their perfect skin

Disney Princesses 
With perfect teeth
Perfect clothes
Perfect life

Always rich
Always perfect
Always moral

It's never like that.
Some people are bigger than Disney Princesses
Real people never have perfect skin
Or perfect teeth

We are imperfectly perfect
In our own ways
With our crooked teeth
And freckles and moles
We are perfect
Not them.

New Kid

I am the
new kid.

In the middle of the school year
I have to move
I cry and scream
I don't want to go

But now I am here
At my new school
Halfway across the country

The classes are fine
But teachers are strict
Student sprint through the halls
Late for their classes

But now it is lunchtime
I stand still with my tray
Of cold green beans 
And gray meat

No one to sit with
No one to laugh with
No one to be my friend.

Wonder

Wonder
Is everywhere.

Look at the rainbow
Behind the pearly white clouds
Look at the peonies
Lining the cobblestone paths

Look at the birds flying high above the clouds
On this wonderful rock that we call Earth.

Wonder at the ants making their way through the tall grasses
Wonder at the skies
So far away yet so close.

In this world
We know nothing

All we can do is wonder.

Birds

The birds fly free
They can be small, or very large
The birds fly free
Through the blue skies

The birds are caring
They take care of their young, letting go of any selfishness.
They do not leave their babies
They protect them from the world.

The birds fly free
Through pearly white clouds
And the clouds that cover us all.

Stones

Stones can be small, medium, or large.
They can hold you down
Or lift you to the skies
To reach for the stars.

Stones make sand
They shelter small creatures
Hiding beneath the stones.

The stones are the things that hurt to stand on
When barefooted
On a trip to the beach

But stones are the things that warn us
To keep going up
To fight through the pain
To keep on walking
Through the big stone that we call the world.

In the River

Be like the river
Freely flowing
Rapidly flowing
Over stones in the falls

Like the sunset
Beautiful
But always different
A million colors
Iluminate

Like the river
Always changing
Free to run
Never slowing.

In The Shadows

Chapter #1