Daisy

-Musician
-Big sister to 5 younger siblings
-Baking enthusiast
-Book addict
-Swimmer
-Aspiring author
-Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending."
- C.S. Lewis

Song Writing Competition 2019

Look Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0NHKW9uMhO0

Lyrics:

People are always looking down
Down at the low down boring ground
They never look up to see the sky

People forget to be themselves
Too busy being someone else
They never jump up to see if they can fly

But you are stronger than you know
And you can change the world

So look up
Look up
When everybody round you says you’re falling apart
Look up
Look up
You’re the only one to tell you how you are

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

So start looking up at the sky
You’ll start wishing that you could fly
When you start dreaming your world will change

You’ll do things you never dreamed of
Help so many other people
You’ll start seeing the sunshine there is in the world

’Cause you are stronger than you know
And you can change the world

So look up
Look up  ...

Fantasy Writing Competition 2019

Dreaming

"But Sarah, what if it doesn't work?"
    I looked out the window. The stars were just coming out, little twinklings sparks in the sky. I would miss them. I turned back to Eric, staring into his eyes, into his soul. "It has to."
    "But what if it doesn't?" The panic was coming out. He had been suppressing it for so long. "You will be lost forever!"
    "Even if it works I will be lost."
    "No, if it works you are only trapped. I can come find you! If it fails... if it fails you're gone."
    "I have to try. She's my sister. This is my only chance. It's this world's only chance." I looked him straight in the eyes. "You have to let me try."
    Suddenly, he stepped forward and hugged me, pulling me in close. He whispered in my ear, "I will come find you Sarah. No matter what happens, I will...

Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

For Good

I wake up to my alarm clock. It's 5:30. I groan and start getting ready for school. No one else is up yet, so I eat breakfast by myself. As I eat, I get out my phone and open Instagram. As I scroll through my feed, I stop and read a quote: "Choose, everyday, to forgive yourself. You are human, flawed, and most of all worthy of love." -Alison Malee. I smile and finish my breakfast. Every morning, my cousin gets up and posts a quote. It might be spiritual, inspirational, or just silly, but he always posts a quote. Those quotes help me have great start to my day.
      My family is spread out across the globe. We only get to see each other about once a year--sometimes not at all. Social media lets us stay caught up with each others' lives. We can help them through hard times and celebrate with them during good times....

Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

For Good

My family is spread out across the globe. We only get to see each other  about once a year--sometimes not even then. Social media lets us stay caught up with each others' lives. We can help them through hard times and celebrate with them during good times....

Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

For Good

Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

For Good

I wake up to my alarm clock. It's 5:30. I groan and start getting ready for school. No one else is up yet so I eat breakfast by myself. As I eat I get out my phone and open Instagram. As I scroll through my feed I stop and read a quote: "Choose, everyday, to forgive yourself. You are human, flawed, and most of all worth of love." -Alison Malee. I smile and finish my breakfast. Every morning, my cousin gets up and posts a quote. It might be spiritual, inspirational, or just silly, but he always posts a quote. Those quotes help me have great start to my day.
      My family is spread out across the globe. We only get to see each other  about once a year, sometimes not even then. Social media lets us stay caught up with each others lives. We can help them through hard times, and celebrate with them during good...

Food Writing Competition 2019

Food Sense

A colorful salad, artfully arranged on a plate. The feel of sticky bread dough in your hands. The crunch of a perfectly thin chip. The scent of cinnamon wafting through the air. The taste of warm chocolate, as you dig into a fresh chocolate chip cookie. This is my childhood. Food brings back memories I wasn’t even aware of.
    Many memories are conjured up by seeing something familiar. Food is a necessity of life, and as such we are around it all of the time.  The vibrant colors of fruits, vegetables, and spices make you just want to dig in and eat! When I see a hamburger, I think of summer barbecues with all of my friends. I see my mom piling crisp green lettuce, juicy tomatoes, and thick slices of bacon onto a plate.  I see my dad standing over the grill flipping burgers. I see us jumping into a glittering pool, with the sun blazing above us....

Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

For Good

I wake up to my alarm clock. It's 5:30. I groan and start getting ready for school. No one else is up yet so I eat breakfast by myself. As I eat I get out my phone and open Instagram. As I scroll through my feed I stop and read a quote: "Choose, everyday, to forgive yourself. You are human, flawed, and most of all worth of love." -Alison Malee. Every morning, my cousin gets up and posts a quote. It might be spiritual, inspirational, or just silly, but he always posts a quote. Those quotes help me get a great start to my day.
      My family is spread out across the globe. We only get to see each other  about once a year, sometimes not even then. Social media lets us stay caught up with each others lives. We can help them through hard times, and celebrate with them during good times. We can share pictures...

Food Writing Competition 2019

Food Sense

Food Writing Competition 2019

Food Sense

A colorful salad, artfully arranged on a plate. The feel of sticky bread dough in your hands. The crunch of a chip, perfectly thin that just snaps when you bite it.  The scent of cinnamon wafting through the air. The taste of warm chocolate, as you dig in to a fresh chocolate chip cookie. This is my childhood. Food brings back memories I wasn’t even aware of.
    Many memories are conjured up by seeing something familiar. Food is a necessity of life, and as such we are around it all of the time. Many moments in our life are with food. The vibrant colors of fruit and vegetables and spices amke you just want to dig in and eat! When I see a hamburger, I think of summer barbecues with all of my friends. I see my mom piling crisp green lettuce, juicy tomatoes, and thick slices of bacon on a plate.  I see my dad standing over the...

Food Writing Competition 2019

Food Sense

A colorful salad, artfully arranged on a plate. The feel of sticky bread dough in your hands. The crunch of a chip, perfectly thin that just snaps when you bite it.  The scent of cinnamon wafting through the air. The taste of warm chocolate, as you dig in to a fresh chocolate chip cookie. This is my childhood. These things bring back memories that I wasn't even aware I had. Food can help use all of our senses to remember life.
   There is a common saying in the food industry, "You eat first with your eyes." This may seem unimportant, but its so true! As humans, we love beauty. We are always searching for the most enchanting melody, the pinkest flower, the prettiest face. When we see something beautiful we think, "I want to be part of that!" When a dish of food is presented to you, it matters what it looks like. If it looks like a...

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

Save the Humpback Whales!

When I was younger, my family lived in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. It was beautiful there. There were an abundance of green trees, brightly colored flowers, and amazing animals. We spent all the time we could outside doing hikes, exploring caves, and playing at the beach. The beach was my favorite with its sparkling sands, aquamarine waves, and fascinating creatures. I went snorkeling a few times and I saw sea urchins, humuhumunukunukuapua'a, turtles, eels, crabs, sharks, and more! In the winter, we would hike up to Makapuu Lighthouse, and from the side of the mountain we could see whales. Humpback whales migrate every year, and we would watch them breaching and splashing on their migration path. Humpback whales travel up to 3,000 miles on their migration path. They spend the summer eating in colder places near the north or south pole. During the winter they swim to more tropical areas near the equator to breed. One year we...

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

Save the Humpback Whales!

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

Save the Humpback Whales!

When I was younger, my family lived in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. It was beautiful there. There were an abundance of green trees, brightly colored flowers, and amazing animals. We spent all the time we could outside doing hikes, exploring caves, and playing at the beach. The beach was my favorite with its sparkling sands, aquamarine waves, and fascinating creatures. In the winter, we would hike up to Makapuu Lighthouse, and from the side of the mountain we could see whales. Whales migrate every year, and we would watch them breaching and splashing on their migration path. One year we went on a whale watching cruise for a day. The ship sailed carefully around an area of the ocean where whales were often spotted, and any time there was a whale sighting, we would all rush on deck to see it. It was wonderful to see those majestic whales so close.
    I didn't know then how few...

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

Save the Humpback Whales!

When I was younger, my family lived in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. It was beautiful there. There was an abundance of green trees, brightly colored flowers, and amazing animals. We spent all the time we could outside doing hikes, exploring caves, and playing at the beach. The beach was my favorite with its sparkling sands, aquamarine waves, and fascinating creatures. In the winter, we would hike up to Makapuu Lighthouse, and from the side of the mountain we could see whales. Whales migrate every year, and we would watch them breaching and splashing on their migration path. One year we went on a whale watching cruise for a day. It was wonderful to see those majestic creatures so close.
    I didn't know then how few whales there are in the world. Then, they were just a beautiful creature that inspired me with awe. Now I know. Whales are vanishing from the oceans and it's our job to...

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

Save the Humpback Whales!

I didn't know then how few whales there are in the world. Then, they were just a beautiful creature that inspired me with awe. Now I know. Whales are vanishing from the oceans and it's our job...