EdilMayHampsen

Preserve your words.

You have to ask yourself if It's more worth being good or having fun.
I know what I've chosen!

Peer Reviews

Questioning Ourselves

PROMPT: Beyond Reason

Welcome to WTW! I love how you approached this prompt, with all the questions that feel tied together but are each deeply and distinct. Great work, can't wait to see more!

4 months

THE TREE OF CONFIDENCE

PROMPT: Writing Streak Challenge -- Week 5

unknown

september is an ever-closer due date

Absolutely wonderful piece. I'm glad you're revising old work! It's a great way to improve.

4 months

My Best Friend Wants To Change The World

PROMPT: A Bird with Wings

Amazing piece. It's brief, but you paint your dreams and your relationship to you best friend amazingly in that short time. If you expand this piece, paragraph breaks might be useful. But as-is they aren't necessary.

4 months

Unatural Disasters

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Good piece! I love the element of danger and tragedy. The relationship between the two characters being so quickly painted and then torn apart is incredibly compelling.

4 months

My Friend Naomi

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Really strong piece here, shocking and fun. Good luck in the competition!

4 months

Stuck

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Love this piece, remeber to watch out for adjective and descriptive phrases, as they take up words. things like "Stomach did a couple of flips" could be shortened to "Stomach turned" etc.

4 months

Starfish

Great piece! I love your voice.

4 months

I Need A Pack Of Highlighters

An incredible poem, I love how it explores a single moment and really digs into the speaker's hesitation.

4 months

Hugo's little adventure to the candy store

Great piece. I think you should do more like this! You might like to look into flash fiction, you seem very good at it.

4 months

Warm and Safe

Amazing visual throughout this piece. It draws me into this feeling of despair and then of hope, but using the stars as a transition makes it feel so much larger than the subject and his umbrella.

4 months

An Autumn Day

PROMPT: People as Nature

Great piece, you showed many sides of autumn and of yourself.

4 months

I Am Storm

PROMPT: People as Nature

Amazing piece, vivid throughout.

4 months

on change and becoming

PROMPT: People as Nature

unknown

Pining for Nearness

unknown

•in medias res•

Great piece! you used very good technique in how you introduced the setting and conflict.

4 months

oh, little Nyx

PROMPT: Semicolon Soirée

Nyx seems adorable, congrats on the addition to your family!

5 months

Skin

unknown

Please Don’t Forget

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2020

Good piece! Give it a glance-over for commas and clarity, but I enjoyed this a lot!

5 months

Contentment

Great piece! I see you've gone through a few revisions already, which is so good!! Its only getting better. Tell me if you revise this again!

5 months

SHIVA'S BLESSED YOU & THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY HER? PERHAPS BARAN BROKE YOU AS WARNING TO WHAT THE GODS WILL DO TO YOU.

Keep working on this piece! There's so much potential here!

5 months

What is Grey?

PROMPT: Flashlight

unknown

wish of the skies

Really good symbolism in "the place where your heart is" It took me a minute to understand that but I enjoyed it a lot.

5 months

Forbidden Love

unknown

Sun, Moon, and Stars

PROMPT: Dust Jacket

You talk about the Emma's in past tense, and even if you're no longer friends, i think present tense is the better option. I got the impression that they had passed. If they have, that's my bad of course.

5 months

bind your hand, child

Awesome poem! I loved how you stuck to your structure without sacrificing the tone of this poem. Your word choice is great. I especially like the evolution from child, to girl, to woman and finally new mother. Offers a good sense of consequence over time.

5 months

we will never not be

unknown

estrella, estrella

In the footnotes, you mentioned not having the life cycle in order, and I'm not sure if this is based on the content of each section, but I do like the progression from individual stars to a group, and then from pre-birth to end.

5 months

Letter of narcissism

Really great piece! You are clearly very well-read with how you incorporate quotes and the things you choose to show to establish your character. I enjoyed this a lot!

5 months

reservoir girls

PROMPT: Collective Voice

This reminds me of nymph stories from Greek mythology, how tree nymphs would die if their trees were cut down, river nymphs couldn't wander too far from their source, etc. The piece handles the prompt well, but I think there's plenty of room to get more specific on the struggles the reservoir girls face so that the reader can relate more to what they are going through.

5 months

Frosting Shouldn't Be Crunchy: Food for Thought

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2020

Reread the prompt and focus more on what you can tell reader that they won't find otherwise. You show snippets of really interesting stories here! Don't be afraid to let those shine! And bring out the funny! There's nothing better for a reader than relating to the authors/characters shenanigans. I look forward to seeing how you go forward with this!

5 months

Plath's 103°

unknown

The little habits that fail us

Congrats on winning your state contest! I'm not sure if it was with this piece, but this is a really good piece. I think you might be interested in flash fiction. If you haven't heard of it yet, google Riddle Ogbewe Amadin, I think You'll like it. Keep writing!

6 months

Miss Jackson: Section for review

unknown

grasping at smoke

unknown

monochrome tapestries you will sew prideful

You have a gift for weaving emotions into beats that almost tell a story even thought it's one moment. Examining the past present and future in chronological order. I heard once that poetry shouldn't tell a story (I don't really believe that) but what you did here feels like traditional story-less poetry while still weaving in a exposition, rising action, climax etc. I would love to see you examine more moments and ideas in this fashion if you can.

6 months

Playing with the Echo

Small moments like this are amazing subjects for poetry! Try not to see the poems that come from them as slap-dash, because if you do you might miss the change to use your amazing poetic voice to explore more amazing moments like this.

6 months

ode to languages that will never pass your lips

Please. Please. PLEASE don't take this piece down! I enjoyed it so much and I think everyone else at WTW will too. I encourage you to go funky with the formatting! That's half the fun of poetry. Thank you for sharing the cultural insight. And if you choose to take it down, I implore you to at least keep it saved somewhere. I think you'll come around to it. Keep writing! I can't wait to see more

6 months

the two minutes hate

a good poem, and concise.

7 months

hands, wrists, teeth | escapril2020-21 | #agustdv2020

Really, reaaly, really good. I can't say this enough. If I opened a poetry book at a store and read this I'd buy that book. The word usage was punchy without breaking the tone you set up. Kudos.

7 months

On the nature of the human heart

See notes. Please reconsider your grammar choices for clarity.

unknown

Broken

PROMPT: Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

unknown

STORM

Avoid unnecessary descriptors. William Strunk Jr. Author of The Elements of Style famously quotes "Omit Needless words" this is true in poetry, and should only be broken with intention, see comments for examples. Please take all, including my own, advice with a grain, no one can know everything, and only you can know what it is you want to say.

over 1 year