izzysmiles09

I like to think of myself as an old leather journal, with thick pages that have dark ink scribbled all over them. There are lines through entire pages, and ink blots where great ideas have flowed. Yet all the same I am someone to cherish, to remember

"But here is the truth of nostalgia: we don't feel it for who we were, but who we weren't. We feel it for all the possibilities that were open for us, but that we didn't take."
-Welcome to Night Vale

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2017

No Longer Innocent

The gun trembles in my hands,
heavier now that the bullets gone.
Shot through the silent night.                               
He lay dead on the ground, blood
slowly bubbling up from between his glazed, hazy eyes.
Not suffering at all,
that's what I could tell them.            

He hadn't suffered.
He hadn't been kept up at night by the haunting memories. 
He hadn't prodded at the bullet hole wonder if it was real.
He wasn’t forced to hold the gun himself
pulling the trigger with an innocence so strong 
he believed it wouldn’t fire.
He didn't have to walk the streets, 
afraid that every shorter than average kid 
was going to gun him down like the last one.
He wasn't awoken every night in a sweat,
sun rise and fall pass while he's too afraid to fall back asleep. 
 He wouldn't have to...

Op-Ed Competition 2017

The Race

I remember the day I sealed my fate with a simple schedule change. I walked into the head of the athletics department and look around. My hands shaking as I closed the door behind me. I didn’t really consider myself to be all that fast, and I had never really done any running before, but the general PE course just wasn’t cutting it for me. High School was the time to challenge yourself and to see past your limits. To prepare you for college. Even though I didn’t want to run as a career, I didn’t want colleges to think I was taking my sweet time either.
    The head of the athletic department didn’t try to talk me out of it, though he did warn me time and time again about what I was getting into. How rigorous the training would be, both in and out of school. I’d need to train constantly if I wanted to be able...

Op-Ed Competition 2017

The Race

I remember the day I sealed my fate with a simple schedule change. I walked into the head of the athletics department and look around. My hands shaking as i close the door behind me. I didn’t really consider myself to be all that fast, and I had never really done any running before, but the general PE course just wasn’t cutting it for me. High School was the time to challenge yourself and to see your past your limits. To prepare you for college. Even though I didn’t want to run as a career, I didn’t want colleges to think I was taking my sweet time either.
    The head of the athletic department didn’t try to talk me out of it, though he did warn me time and time again about what I was getting into. How rigorous the training would be, both in and out of school. I’d need to train constantly if I wanted to...

Obsession

The dots dance on my screen.
Mesmerizing me with hypnotic temptation.
What will she say?
What will I?
A story,
untold.

You and I

If I came to you one day,
and everything inside of me was finally coming undone,
would you stop just to remind me of how far I’ve come?

If I reached my trembling hand out to you,
and stood with doe eyes wet from the past,
would you slips your hand into mine?

If I didn’t move from that small safe spot,
and the end of the world was fast on my heels,
would you pull me with you to safety?

If I appeared to you late one night alone,
and couldn’t manage the racing thoughts ripped through my mind,
would you let me borrow the silence you have?

If I sat at the edge of the world with my legs swinging,
and was teetering on the brink of insanity,
would you sit with me and watch the dizzying sun rise?

If I begged you to run away with me,
and I had all of my things in a bag...

Not Cliché

I’m never one for cliches,
but I believe it’s fairly ture.
I swear that it is me,
It’s got nothing to do with you.
But,
Well,
I am -
(terrified. horribly and utterly terrified. I’ve never loved someone so much in my life. I can’t imagine losing you, but I feel like I already am. Oh god my hands are shaking. I can barely place this glass on the table without spilling it all over. I thought this would be good to do. Maybe, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I’m not actually losing you. Maybe I’m just imagining it. But then again. Maybe if I tell you, if I tell you then you will fight for me. You’ll stand up, leaving behind the shell of the man you're becoming and rise as the man I fell in love with. So fight for me, prove that you love me too; because I can’t stand feeling this way anymore. I’m doing this for...

Six-Word Memoir

These Past Years

I held my breath and waited,

Film Review Competition 2016

Captain America: The Winter Soldier -- Film Review

No longer frozen in ice, and still attractive at 96, the story of Steve Rogers continues in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo and released in April of 2014, the film is the 3rd installment in the cinematic series of the Marvel hero, Steve Rogers; better known as Captain America. The story picks up quickly from where the last movie, Captain America: The First Avenger, left off. Leaving little time to explain any important backstory. The film caters to the audience of those already entangled within the franchise. This could make the plot of the movie confusing, and many of the snarky comments made by the characters in reference to previous adventures could be easily missed. However, this does not take away from the marvelous new Marvel movie.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier takes place in Washington D.C., where Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans,   is adjusting to his new life,...

Film Review Competition 2016

Captain America: The Winter Soldier was directed by Joe and Anthony Russo and released in April of 2014. The film is the 3rd installment in the cinematic series of the Marvel hero, Steve Rogers; better known as Captain America. The story picks up quickly from where the last movie, Captain America: The First Avenger, left off. Leaving little time to explain any important backstory. This could make the plot of the movie confusing, and many of the snarky comments made by the characters in reference to previous adventures could be easily missed. However, this does not take away from the marvelous new Marvel movie.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier takes place in Washington D.C., where Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, is adjusting to his new life, and working with S.H.I.E.L.D., A section of the U.S. government that works with "super heroes" and is present in many Marvel movies After an attack on shield he works with Black...