charleegirl06

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

PROMPT 1 ICONIC SPECIES

Charlotte Gilreath
Prompt 1 (Iconic Species)
When I was younger I used to marvel at the absolute strength and absolute power of animals such as polar bears, leopards, African wild dogs, and more. They each had their own special ability that was unique to them. Everyone has that one animal that just appeals to them. Whether it is a leopard or elephant our favorite animal still holds a special place in our hearts. I used to visit the zoo when I was younger and I watched my personal favorite animals, an African Wild dog, I was absolutely fascinated with how precise and calculated its every movement was. I thought that they were invincible. I was in love with their little white tail that they wag nonstop, their multi-colored coats that looks like they were painted on, and their grin that makes them seem as though they are always ready for adventure. At the zoo, my mom...

Book Review Competition 2019

ANALYZING UGLIES

Title: Uglies
Genre: Science Fiction/ Young Adult/ Fantasy/ and Dystopian
Author: Scott Westerfield

This book is about a young ugly, Tally, who is looked down upon by her society. She is cast into a category that she has no control over. She anxiously awaits the day when she becomes pretty, when she will have a purpose, her 16th birthday. However, weeks before her 16th birthday something happens that will change her forever...

There are four main characters in this book. Tally: the main character, who is a heroine that is very loyal and will risk her life for the people she loves. Shay: a wild girl who doesn’t care what others thinks of her and will sacrifice almost anything for her friends, which could be a blessing, or a curse. David: the son of the founders of the Smokies, an “ugly” and a man who will work for what he believes in. Finally, Dr. Cable: a doctor who has...

Book Review Competition 2019

ANALYZING UGLIES

Charlotte Gilreath
Title: Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfield
    This book is about a young ugly, Tally, who is looked down upon by her society. She is cast into a category that she has no control over. She anxiously awaits the day when she becomes pretty, when she will have a purpose, her 16th birthday. However, weeks before her 16th birthday something happens that will change her forever.

The day Tally met Shay was a day that changed both of their lives. Tally was thrust into a life of risk and danger but also actual happiness. Shay finally had someone to share all of the danger, risk, and happiness with. After Tally had a daring escape she met Shay, in a bush. The two vowed to stick with each other, always. Little did Tally know that this would be a promise that put lives in the line…

Tally’s society is segregated into 3 categories....

Book Review Competition 2019

ANALYZING UGLIES

Charlotte Gilreath
Title: Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfield

The day Tally met Shay was a day that changed both of their lives. Tally was thrust into a life of risk and danger but also actual happiness. Shay finally had someone to share all of the danger, happiness, and happiness with. After Tally had a daring escape she met Shay, in a bush. The two vowed to stick with each other, always. Little did Tally know that this would be a promise that put lives in the line…