Fatima M

Nigeria

aspiring writer, proud ravenclaw.

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

Old Friends/New Friends.

On Tuesday, the 13th of June 2017, everyone was bubbling over with excitement. With dresses, shoes and make-up strewn around the hostel rooms, people rushed past in a blur to make it in time for the ceremony. The graduation countdown had started officially on our hostel wall using pencils to write the days left. I watched as it began from "238 days left" down to today.

After six years of being around the same people and living together, it is inevitable for a bond to form; a connection to bloom. Four of my friends and I posed, all dressed up in our navy blue graduation gowns, our caps with the tassel thrown to the right forced atop our heads and our feet tucked into heeled shoes and sandals, with smiles on our faces as people took our pictures. That picture was my wallpaper for the longest time. My friend carries the Polaroid of that photo around in her wallet....

Old Friends/New Friends.

On the 13th of June 2017, everyone was elated and bubbling over with excitement. The much-anticipated graduation day had arrived. On the walls of our room in the hostel, we had started the countdown and from ‘’238 days left’’ written boldly on the wall, I watched as it slowly became one day and then zero. After six years of being around the same people and, living together, it is inevitable for a bond to be formed; a connection to bloom.
A memory of four of my friends and I, all dressed up in our navy blue graduation gowns, our caps with the tassel thrown to the right forced atop our heads and our feet tucked into heeled shoes and sandals, smiles on our faces as our pictures were taken is forever etched on my mind. I had that picture as my background for the longest time and my friend carries the Polaroid of that photo around in...

Wet

they said the rain would wash away my pain,
they said the rain would give me a fresh start,
yesterday I stood under the falling drops,
but all it did was get me wet.

The Vistas Beyond

The Moon Smiled Back

The gentle breeze from outside brings with it some dust through the window as I look upon the world I am surrounded by. The neighborhood is awake and windows all around are lit up and I hear the prayers from the mosque, the thunderous Christian praise songs from the church and the music from the clubs; everyone awaits the turn of the new year holding on tightly to the hope that this year will be different, it will be mine. I hope this year is kind to me, I look up to the sky and see the moon shining brightly, its light spilling beautifully into my room and at that moment, as I stare at the moon and it stares back, I feel an overwhelming sense of hope that this year will in fact be mine - because the moon smiled back tonight.

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

FALLING HARD.

Under the stars, she holds my hand as I rest against the open window.
" Do you love me?" I ask, tears running down my cheeks. 
She avoids my eyes, looking everywhere but at me.
Slowly, she takes her hand out of mine. Using both hands, she pushes at my shoulders, hard.
I'm falling now. I reach out for her hand, she does the same. Our fingertips touch, a quick kiss before gravity pulls on me, hard. 
Eyes emotionless, she looks down at me:" I did." 
As I fall, I think: I fell for her again, hard. 

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

FALLING HARD.

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

FALLING HARD.

" Do you love me?" I ask, tears rolling down my cheeks.
Slowly, she takes her hand out of mine and uses both hands to push at my shoulders, hard.

being you

making the choice
to be you
in a world 
telling you to not
is one of the best decisions
you can make.

I hope it rains tonight.

The lightening came and went like a light switch being flipped on and off. It illuminated my room and its light pierced loudly through the darkness which was all around me. The ticking of the clock is all I seem to hear. From my sweat soaked bed, I stretch and sneak a  peek out the window and realize that the stars seemed to be absent from their usual gathering with the moon in the night sky. I breathe deeply and very slowly, in and out, in and out but it does nothing to calm my nerves. 
      I hope it rains tonight. I long to hear the drops falling aggressively on my roof and beating hard at my windows. I long for that feeling that everything wrong is being washed away and we emerge in the morning as renewed creatures. To start afresh leaving behind all my silly mistakes. I long to sleep soundly because the rain envelopes...

I hope it rains tonight.

The lightening came and went like a light switch being flipped on and off. It illuminated my room and its light pierced loudly through the darkness which was all around me. The ticking of the clock is all I seem to hear. From my sweat soaked bed, I stretch and sneak a little peek out the window and realize that the stars seemed to be absent from their usual gathering with the moon in the night sky. I chew continuously at the mint flavoured gum in my mouth but it does nothing to calm my nerves. 
      I hope it rains tonight. I long to hear the drops falling aggressively on my roof and beating hard at my windows. I long for that feeling that everything wrong is being washed away and we emerge in the morning as renewed creatures. I long to sleep soundly because the rain envelopes me in an in-explainable safety. Finally, I...

Stolen Dream

I'm living someone else's dream
My own i do try to redeem,
But sometimes I can't help but feel,
that maybe it had seemed ideal
just at a certain point in time
maybe then just to fix a rhyme
or that I deserved it after all,
to be placed in someone else's call

I appreciate what is given to me,
But then it's just not what I see
when I'm lying awake
and trying to take
what i can before time runs out
then I'm back in this world of doubt

Of course, it's all very pretty to the eyes,
But then, I fail to recognize
How to refrain from looking so grim
living with this stolen dream.

The Vistas Beyond

The Moon Smiled Back

The gentle breeze from outside brings with it some dust through the window as I look upon the world I am surrounded by. The neighborhood is awake and windows all around are lit up and I hear the prayers from the mosque, the thunderous Christian praise songs from the church and the music from the clubs; everyone awaits the turn of the new year holding on tightly to the hope that this year will be different, it will be 'ours.' I hope this year is nice to me, I look up to the sky and see the moon shining brightly, its light spilling beautifully into my room and at that moment, as I stare at the moon and it stares back, I feel an overwhelming sense of hope that this year will in fact be mine- because the moon smiled back tonight.

The Vistas Beyond

The Moon Smiled Back

The gentle breeze from outside brings with it some dust through the window as I look upon the world I am surrounded by. The neighborhood is awake and windows all around are lit up as I hear the prayers from the mosque, the worship from the church and the music from the clubs while everyone awaits the turn of the new year holding on tightly to the hope that this year will be different, it will be 'ours.' I hope this year is nice to me, I look up to the sky and see the moon shining brightly, its light spilling beautifully into my room and at that moment, as I stare at the moon and it stares back, I feel an overwhelming sense of hope that this year will in fact be mine- because the moon smiled back tonight.

The Vistas Beyond

The Moon Smiled Back

The gentle breeze from outside brings along with it some dust through the window as I look upon the world I am surrounded by. The neighborhood is awake and everywhere is lit up as I hear the prayers from the mosque, the worship from the church and the music from the clubs all around me while everyone awaits the turn of the new year holding on tightly to the hope that this year will be different, it will be 'ours.' I hope this year is nice to me, I think to myself as I look up to the sky and see the moon shining brightly, its light spilling beautifully into my room and at that moment, as I stare at the moon and it stares back, I feel an overwhelming sense of hope that this year will in fact be mine- because the moon smiled back tonight.