Pink

Fatima M

Nigeria

aspiring writer, proud ravenclaw.

being you

making the choice
to be you
in a world 
telling you to not
is one of the best decisions
you can make.

I hope it rains tonight.

The lightening came and went like a light switch being flipped on and off. It illuminated my room and its light pierced loudly through the darkness which was all around me. The ticking of the clock is all I seem to hear. From my sweat soaked bed, I stretch and sneak a  peek out the window and realize that the stars seemed to be absent from their usual gathering with the moon in the night sky. I breathe deeply and very slowly, in and out, in and out but it does nothing to calm my nerves. 
      I hope it rains tonight. I long to hear the drops falling aggressively on my roof and beating hard at my windows. I long for that feeling that everything wrong is being washed away and we emerge in the morning as renewed creatures. To start afresh leaving behind all my silly mistakes. I long to sleep soundly because the rain envelopes...

I hope it rains tonight.

The lightening came and went like a light switch being flipped on and off. It illuminated my room and its light pierced loudly through the darkness which was all around me. The ticking of the clock is all I seem to hear. From my sweat soaked bed, I stretch and sneak a little peek out the window and realize that the stars seemed to be absent from their usual gathering with the moon in the night sky. I chew continuously at the mint flavoured gum in my mouth but it does nothing to calm my nerves. 
      I hope it rains tonight. I long to hear the drops falling aggressively on my roof and beating hard at my windows. I long for that feeling that everything wrong is being washed away and we emerge in the morning as renewed creatures. I long to sleep soundly because the rain envelopes me in an in-explainable safety. Finally, I...

Stolen Dream

I'm living someone else's dream
My own i do try to redeem,
But sometimes I can't help but feel,
that maybe it had seemed ideal
just at a certain point in time
maybe then just to fix a rhyme
or that I deserved it after all,
to be placed in someone else's call

I appreciate what is given to me,
But then it's just not what I see
when I'm lying awake
and trying to take
what i can before time runs out
then I'm back in this world of doubt

Of course, it's all very pretty to the eyes,
But then, I fail to recognize
How to refrain from looking so grim
living with this stolen dream.

The Vistas Beyond

the moon smiled back

The gentle breeze from outside brings with it some dust through the window as I look upon the world I am surrounded by. The neighborhood is awake and windows all around are lit up and I hear the prayers from the mosque, the thunderous Christian praise songs from the church and the music from the clubs; everyone awaits the turn of the new year holding on tightly to the hope that this year will be different, it will be 'ours.' I hope this year is nice to me, I look up to the sky and see the moon shining brightly, its light spilling beautifully into my room and at that moment, as I stare at the moon and it stares back, I feel an overwhelming sense of hope that this year will in fact be mine- because the moon smiled back tonight.

The Vistas Beyond

the moon smiled back

The gentle breeze from outside brings with it some dust through the window as I look upon the world I am surrounded by. The neighborhood is awake and windows all around are lit up as I hear the prayers from the mosque, the worship from the church and the music from the clubs while everyone awaits the turn of the new year holding on tightly to the hope that this year will be different, it will be 'ours.' I hope this year is nice to me, I look up to the sky and see the moon shining brightly, its light spilling beautifully into my room and at that moment, as I stare at the moon and it stares back, I feel an overwhelming sense of hope that this year will in fact be mine- because the moon smiled back tonight.

The Vistas Beyond

the moon smiled back

The gentle breeze from outside brings along with it some dust through the window as I look upon the world I am surrounded by. The neighborhood is awake and everywhere is lit up as I hear the prayers from the mosque, the worship from the church and the music from the clubs all around me while everyone awaits the turn of the new year holding on tightly to the hope that this year will be different, it will be 'ours.' I hope this year is nice to me, I think to myself as I look up to the sky and see the moon shining brightly, its light spilling beautifully into my room and at that moment, as I stare at the moon and it stares back, I feel an overwhelming sense of hope that this year will in fact be mine- because the moon smiled back tonight.