Rachel the Author

Tennis player, martial artist, nerd, gamer and writer with a crazy imagination.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I’ve ended up where I needed to be.”-Douglas Adams

“Run like hell because you always need to. Laugh at everything because it’s always funny. Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.”-12th Doctor

"A writer is a world trapped in a person,"-Victor Hugo

“The goal isn’t to live on forever. It’s to make something that does.”- Monty Oum

“You write out of the desire to seem clever, to be talked about, to be remembered after death, etc, etc. It is humbug to pretend this is not a motive and a strong one.”- George Orwell

"Vulgarity is no substitute for wit."-Violet Grantham

Bis später, Freunde. It's been real-Rachel

In the House

House in the Woods

A small house with gray panels tucked into the woods at the end of a cul-de-sac. A crick runs through the backyard and trees tower over the clearing. The house is small, three bedrooms and one bathroom with a tiny living area and connected kitchen/dining room. The garage is not connected to the house. From the outside, and even the inside, it doesn't look like much. Just a rinky dink old cottage in the middle of the woods.
    But it is more than that.
    It is a testament to the people who built it and the ones who lived there. Memories of Christmases spent huddled around the fireplace telling embarrassing family stories, Thanksgivings so stuffed with food you feel like bursting, Fourth of Julys spent watching the brightly colored fireworks explode into a hundred rainbow shards. And then there are the little things: the scent of slightly burnt eggs in the dewy hours of the early morning, the...

Why I Write

Why I Write

Why do I write? More like why don't I write? Writing is a way of expressing myself through ideas and thoughts. It's a way to get every bubbling, crazy idea out of my head without driving me insane. Writing allows me to create a world all my own-it lets me use magic, visit far off planets, lead an army, sail the high seas as a vagabond pirate, discover an ancient tomb, fall in love; in short, I can do anything and everything! Writing helps convey a message that's otherwise been locked inside my brain. Forming words and sentences into something more can have a rippling butterfly affect. It can make people weep, question life, and inspire change. I can release something from inside when I write: an unending tidal wave of imagination. In short, writing is something that lets me be me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Art of Specificity

The Boy and the Journal

1) The boy picked up the journal and read it.

2) The young boy picked up the old journal from one of the many dusty boxes scattered around the attic. He began to page through the book, reading the faded writing carefully by the light of the moon streaming through the far window in order to uncover the secrets of the past.

3) The young boy, having crept upstairs ever so silently as to not wake his sleeping parents, tiptoed across the creaky attic floorboards to a haphazard stack of dusty boxes. He knew he was forbidden to go into the attic, especially at night and with no supervision, but he couldn't resist the temptation of his new discovery. He gingerly picked the leather bound journal and paged through the ancient tome. As his eyes roamed the faded ink on its yellowed pages, his heart raced with the thrill of uncovering pieces of the past by the light of the...

This I Believe

A Belief So Deep

I believe in God the Father
I believe in Jesus Christ
I believe in the Holy Spirit
A trinity of hope and love
A beacon in the blackest night
Hope for a better tomorrow
Knowing that I have been saved
I believe in the Bible
I believe in eternal salvation
I believe that I have been given new life
Through the innocent blood of Christ
My sins are washed away
I am made clean
I will never have to fear
I believe in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
And it will take me far.

The Peace of Wild Things

Solace of the Ink and Paper

Books are made of many things
Words
    Phrases
        Letters
            Lines
Alone they are nothing
But come together
and they can do
Extraordinary things
New worlds wrought with danger
With adventure
Never before seen creatures
Gripping characters that challenge reality
An escape from the craziness into a whole new sort of craziness
To live a life that cannot be lived
To be have a power that can never be used
To meet people can never be seen
To touch things that do not exist
That is the solace of the written word
A comfort in the worlds that can never be visited
Or adventures never experienced
Without letters on a page
This is the solace of
    Ink
        And
            Paper

The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried

Skippy was happy. She always carried around a huge grin that could make the saddest person smile. When people saw her, they knew she carried herself with a happy, goofy personality that couldn't be dampened by negativity. A pair of RWBY headphones would always hang around her neck and a camera could always be found at her side in order to capture the happiest moments.
    Miles was cool. He carried responsibility, but at the same time, he also had trust, humor, and friendship. He was a magnet and everyone was attracted to him. He never carried much with him in the form of materials, but rather, he used honesty and trustworthiness. Everyone could rely on him because he could carry them too.
    Petra was charming. She always carried confidence, not afraid to be weird or be who she was. She had quotes and pick up lines at her disposal and always had a terrible joke or pun to...

The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried

Skippy was happy. She always carried around a huge grin that could make the saddest person smile. When people saw her, they knew she carried herself with a happy, goofy personality that couldn't be dampened by negativity. A pair of RWBY headphones would always hang around her neck and a camera would always be found by her side so she would never lose a happy memory.
    Miles was cool. He carried responsibility, but at the same time, he also carried trust, humor, and friendship. He was a magnet and everyone was attracted to him. He never carried much with him in the form of materials, but rather, he carried honesty and trustworthiness. Everyone could rely on him because he could carry them too.
    Petra was charming. She always carried confidence, not afraid to be weird or be who she was. She had quotes and pick up line at her disposal and always had a terrible joke or pun...

The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried

Monologue

Unexpected Beginning

"It all started with a bump in the hallway in middle school. I was in sixth grade and walking to class on a normal school day when he bumped roughly into me causing me to drop my books. When I opened my mouth to apologize he snarkily snapped 'Watch it you idiot!' I would later know him as Arthur Green, but in that moment he was the rather angry and annoying boy who had knocked into me. I remember clearly that I was extremely irked at this boy for getting angry at ME for something HE did. I raised an eyebrow and asked him what his problem was. He only scowled and walked away. That event is what started the "war" between myself and Arthur.
    "As time when on, my resentment for the black haired idiot only grew (the feeling was mutual on his end too). Whenever we would see each other in the hallway, we would scowl...

Band Name

Sunglasses' Serenade

Sunglasses’ Serenade is an American pop-rock band that started out as a joke. Founded by lead vocalist Peter Tonkin while he was in his freshman year of college, he never expected his band to actually be a serious thing. He started out by asking his friends Gregg Marshall (lead guitarist), Joe Mckeller (drummer), and Erin Stein(bassist) to make a YouTube music video about the stereotypical love song. They started a channel and uploaded their first video in which they were all wearing sunglasses. What they never expected was their video to explode the internet. People loved their video and demanded more. After changing their name from Four Odd Ducks and an Imaginary Friend to Sunglasses Serenade they began making hits such as “Never Gonna Leave You”, “I Broke Up With Her”, “All Night Long”, “Better Than The Beach” and of course their very first song,”Love Song Tyrants”.
    The name Sunglasses Serenade is perfect as they don’t take themselves seriously...

Paint Swatch

The Color of Words

Words are a cacophonous assortment of immeasurable moments filled with the colors of life. They can be soft like feathers, or rough like stone. They can be bright like the sun or dark like the bruised twilight after a sunset. They can be big and bold or small and shy. A hodge podge of beautiful swirling colors that cannot be described. Words can be anything you want them to be. Just let them be YOU.

Illumination

The Spirit of Everything

A girl ran in the crowded streets with her long silky hair billowing out behind her and her eyes bright and eager for adventure. The girl was completely oblivious to the weird stares people were giving her, and when she tripped, falling the ground, she only laughed because nothing in the world could get her down, especially with the knowledge that tomorrow is another day where anything can happen.

Paint Swatch

The Color of Words

Words are a cacophonous assortment of immeasurable moments. They can be soft like feathers, or rough like stone. They can be bright like the sun or dark like the bruised twilight after a sunset. They can be big and bold or small and shy. Words can be anything you want them to be. Just let them be YOU.

[Insert Age]

15 Years

Fifteen. A relatively small number, but at the same time, it's packed full with memories, emotions, and all sorts of crazy adventures...

15 years of sadness, the death and loss of family and friends along the way.
15 years of happiness, the trips to Florida and sharing of family stories.
15 years of fear, horror movies watched late at night with monsters under my bed.
15 years of joy, the knowledge I am saved and there's nothing to fear.
15 years of crazy, through sweat and tears, and rage and joy, the loss of people and gaining of new ones. 

My life has been short, but it's been amazing. The journey of my life is only beginning and I can't wait to see what else lies ahead.

Paint Swatch

The Color of Words

Existential Crisis-The color of Danisnotonfire with deep and swirling undertones. 

Local Tongue

It's Called A Bubbler

Being a Wisconsinite requires a different form of language. Yes, we speak English, yes people understand what we're saying, but even we have our own slight dialect. Mid-westerners are already notorious for sounding nasally (Heck, even I hear it sometimes) but there is one characteristic that makes us stand out in South Eastern Wisconsin. The word bubbler. If you went anywhere out of state, people would look at you as if you were crazy if you were to ask them, "Excuse me, but is there a bubbler around here?" Most people don't realize that we don't have water fountains. We have bubblers. So next time you hear a person called a "water fountain" a bubbler, it is safe to assume they are from our great old Badger State.

Local Tongue

It's Called A Bubbler

Being a Wisconsinite requires a different form of language. Yes, we speak English, yes people understand what we're saying, but even we have our own slight dialect. Mid-westerners are already notorious for sounding nasally (Heck, even I hear it sometimes) but there is one characteristic that makes us stand out in South Eastern Wisconsin. The word bubbler. If you went anywhere out of state, people would look at you as if you were crazy if you were to ask them, "Excuse me, but is there a bubbler around here?" Most people don't realize that we don't have water fountains. We have bubblers. So next time you hear a person called a "water fountain" a bubbler, it is a safe be to assume they are from our great old Badger State.

Open Prompt

Idiot's Guide to Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Oh hi! My name is Ozymandias, but you can call me Ozy.
Of course, Ozymandias isn’t my real name, but in this world it doesn’t really matter. If everyone on earth was turned into flesh eating zombies and your parents gave you the most stupid and terrible name in all of history, you would want to change your name too. Get a new image if you catch my drift.
So, before you go all crazy trying to figure out what I’m saying, let me explain. Life pretty much sucks right now. It all started about two months ago. Life had been as normal as it could be what with school, and YouTube, and Anime Club, but then everything decided to go all batcrap crazy. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to create a serum to bring the dead back to life. Like that’s ever worked out well. Anyway it didn’t work out right-surprise, surprise- and instead of...

0-9

Ich Libe Dich

9: The number of interactions we had when our hands accidentally brushed in the halls as we walked in opposite directions to our own lives, not looking back, but wanting to so desperately.
8: The number of times I watched you kiss another girl and the number of pangs my heart felt each time, longing for you to notice me.
7: The number of arguments that could be heard echoing through the empty halls when you thought no one else was around when I was only around the corner.
6: The number of texts you send asking me to make you laugh to forget about the pain of her leaving you for another guy and the number of times my heart broke for you.
5: The number of days you didn't show up for school, leaving me to wonder what had happened and if you were okay.
4: The number of hand holds, getting the support that only I would...

Open Prompt

Setting as Mood

A Piece of Midnight

Rafe knew that what he was about to do, was impossible. From his vantage point under the wrought iron lampost with its dull golden bulb that did little but stand for decoration, he could see nearly everything. The inky tendrils of darkness swirled around him like tiny beasts made of shadows that only the stars touched with silver could illuminate. Faded and crubmling brick buildings with their worn and tired fences, neatly trimmed rose bushes, and soft dew touched lawns stood tall and proud, but ensared in the dark. Wind interrupted the night with it's raspy, chilled laugher as dead and broken leaves skittered along the solid earth. The cold had enveloped the world with it's silky frozen touch. As a thin veil of fog strolled lazily along the cobbled cracked streets, Rafe put his head into his hands. How could he tell Rabekah's family that he was the reason why she was dead?

O’Clock

Freedom Will Not Be Contained

Come my comrades!
The time is now!
Today we show our fight
We won't be controlled
The injustice upon us
Shall be thrown off
Our freedom will be regained
And nothing can stand in our way!
Show the dogs that we cannot
Will not
Be contained.
Our time to fight is now!
Do not hesitate!
This is our chance!
We fight for what is right!
This day will be marked
In the books of history
July 4th
1776
The day we stand up
For Justice
For Liberty
For Freedom
We fight
For our home.

FACT

A Grasshopper's Tale

"The Hairworm has the ability to infect different inscets and causes them to to jump into a lake or stream in order to be able to reproduce. Isn't that interesting?" That one simple sentence started everything. "So they literally cause their prey to kill themselves so they can reproduce? That's so cool!" A conversation blossoming from a writing assignment. I never knew how such a little thing could give us something so great. What started as just a little tidbit of information, transformed into a friendship. We grew so close. I had been infected by your friendship and kindness. Nothing could tear us appart. Joined at the hip, almost noboby saw us away from each other. It was the best year of my life. Then you left. You moved away to a new place and I was forced to stay. I was that little grasshopper that was forced to jump into that one lake or stream so the hairworm could...