Img 7014

Chi Chi Zhao

Guitar-Song Writing-Piano-Music-Soccer-Ice Skating-Swimming-Basketball-Skiing-All the Bright Places-The Shawshank Redemption-Forrest Gump-Feminist-Ravendor-Pandas-Rainy Days-Science-Space-:)

"Get busy living or get busy dying"- Andy Dufresne

Strike

Save the Sharks

What do you think of when I say sharks? Do you think of the monster from Jaws, a beast that is wanting to devour all humans who set foot in the ocean? Well, sharks are actually nothing like that, only an average of 5 people are killed per year by sharks, less than cows and lightning. They're not actually trying to hunt us, but we're killing them. Every year millions of sharks are killed for the shark finning industry, left to die long painful deaths after being stripped of their fins. Scientists estimate that 90% of all sharks have been killed already! Apart from not being the evil creatures the media makes them out to be, sharks are actually essential for the ecosystem. The sharks sit at the top of the food chain and if they were killed, then many plankton would be wiped out. Plankton is responsible for 70% of the world's oxygen, so if sharks were wiped out,...

Dragon Life

Being a dragon isn’t easy you know, you need to constantly keep your cave tidy, make sure you have enough wood for your fire to burn on and also, most importantly, keep your treasure safe. I have my job cut out for me, you see, I live in the mountains of a kingdom called Far Far Away, and there, it’s like the knights have nothing better to do than to try and steal my jewels! Yesterday, I had to start polishing my collection of gold in time for my family to visit. My parents are always scolding me about how I have to keep my gold sparkling and my gems glittering. After I spent hours practicing my fire breathing in time for the tournament I’m going to enter next month. Last night, a bunch of young knights decided to try their luck with getting away with a few of my silverware. I found them in the back of my cave,...

The Dive

I took a deep breath, tightened my snorkeland pushed off into the dark blue nothing. I felt the icy water running down my wetsuit and as I tried to get familiar with my surroundings. Although, diving was my profession and I dived almost every other day, the thrill of being underwaterstill got to me. My hands fumbled for my torch and my gloved fingers pressed the power button. A bright stream of light rushed out of the torch and into a narrow path in front of me. My eyes followed the sliver of light to a small fish about 10 metres to my left. Its silver fins glistened and shone and I could feel its small eyes staring at me. I propelled myself deeper and deeper into the ocean and I could see the boat on the surface getting smaller and smaller. Soon I felt like just a tiny speck in the vast blue canvas surrounding me. Then...

Fine

Fine

“Are you okay?”

I feel like I’m slowly burning,
From a fire I’ll never tame.
And if I don’t keep running,
I’ll be engulfed by the flames.

I feel like I can’t escape,
There’s nowhere I can hide.
How can I run away,
When the monster is inside.

I feel like I’m always trapped,
Glued to a spiderweb. 
I never can break free,
Cause I’m still stuck in my head. 

I feel like I can’t hold on,
And I’m trying to survive.
But my hands are slipping,
The hole is swallowing me alive.

I feel like I’m in the dark,
In an empty starless night.
I can’t find my way home,
I’m losing hold of the light. 

And even though I’m dying,
I can’t reveal my strife. 
And inside I am crying,
But my eyes are always dry. 

Because I can never tell you,
I’ll never let you know. 
And even...

The Lighthouse Keeper

A beam of light shines from solitary lighthouse into the abyss of the endless sea. The lighthouse is perched on a lonely hill, in an abandoned sea port where empty ships lay dormant. Night after night the light is sent out and where it goes, nobody knows. Gazing into the darkness at the tip of the tower is an old man. Eyes glimmering with the reflection of the light, he breathes in the crisp air as he polishes the lens of the lighthouse.

How long the old man had been keeper is unknown, but it is undoubtedly a very long period of time. But time is not important to him as no matter what he does, time still keeps going. So, he refers to time as just before and after.

Before seemed like forever ago. Before the port was crammed with vibrant colours and exciting foreign smells. Traders flocked the village like water filling a bath and the...

The Lighthouse Keeper

Before seemed like forever ago. Before the port was crammed with vibrant colours and exciting foreign smells. Traders flocked the solitary lighthouse village like water filling a bath...

Birds of One Feather

When you turn on the television,
The news is filled with dreadful visions.
Children crying and people screaming
And too many deaths that have no meaning.

War is just a futile fight,
Where morals are blurs; what’s wrong and right.
People kill faster than they blink
Like mindless robots, they just don’t think.    

Hurting each other; what is the point?
What our world comes to, just disappoints.    
Sometimes we need a glimmer of hope,
Otherwise, how could we cope?     

Unless we want the Earth in tatters,
We need to ask: what really matters?
It’s not money, possessions or power, 
It’s little things like laughter and flowers. 

Humans say for peace they yearn,
But how many times from mistakes can we learn?
We say we want to stop the pain,
But you can’t stop a drought by just thinking of rain.

We face problems not just one can bear,
So altogether we need to care.
We...

A Day of Life

It was just past midnight
The air was crisp like autumn leaves
Moonlight floated through the window
And covered everything like a blanket
The people were huddled around a single bed
Apprehension smothered rising exhaustion
There was a collective gasp of relief
And a small bundle was placed in the new mother’s arms
And tightly,
Tightly, she held it as she gave it all her warmth
And she knew she would never let go

It was the crack of dawn
Sheets of light streamed in through the curtain
Warmth hung from the air
And danced across the room
The baby lay in her cradle
Above was a mobile of swaying flowers
A rose, violet and daisy
The baby smiled
For nothing was wrong in her world
And her parents stood by the door
Filled with happiness

It was early morning 
The sun gently touched the world
Dewdrops fell from the flower petals
Onto the bending blades of grass
Her father...

Open Prompt

I promise

The sound of bullets tear through the air
I dive to the ground
Pressed against my thumping heart,
Is the soil of our home land
But it is red
With the blood of our people
I raise to my feet with my weapon clenched tightly
I see soldiers falling one by one
I see the determined gleam in their eyes
I see destruction

I’m frozen
Petrified in this moment I wish would end
The bitter smell of burning fills my nostrils
The screams surround me, trapping me
That’s when it happens
I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time
It hits my skin
It tears through my veins 
It burns every single inch of my flesh
It’s stuck in me

I fall down
               down
                       down
Into the pitch black silence
No, not now, I can’t go
I remember her cloudy hazel...

Open Prompt

I promise

It was just past midnight
The air was crisp like autumn leaves
Moonlight floated through the window
And covered everything like a blanket
There was a collective gasp of relief
And tightly,
And she knew she would never let go

It was the crack of dawn
Warmth hung from the air
And danced across the room
The baby lay in her cradle
Above was a mobile of swaying flowers
A rose, violet and daisy
The baby smiled
For nothing was wrong in her world
And her parents stood by the door
Filled with happiness

It was early morning 
The sun gently touched the world
Dewdrops fell from the flower petals
Onto the bending blades of grass
Her father...

Turned to Stone

Stone Angels

Iris fumbled around in her backpack, hands trying to find the flashlight she was sure she stuffed in before she left home. The graveyard was darkening by the minute and she had to get back before the sun completely slipped below the horizon. This was her last lead, she'd been working on this case for two weeks now and if she didn't find a clue tonight she was sure the case would go cold. Iris couldn't believe it, a family of five missing from their home, no trace of a break in, no prints, no witnesses, it just didn't happen. Finally her hands grasped the flashlight, which had somehow wound its way to the bottom of her bag, and she quickly turned it on. A bright stream of light rushed out and into the darkness but was stopped by something solid in front of it, something tall and strangely human shaped. Cold beads of sweat formed on Iris's forehead, as...