11265106 910295352356656 7944241936944143166 n

Mallorie Cheves

I am a junior in high school and an aspiring writer. I love video games, reading, cooking (and eating) , volunteering, playing the guitar, and of course writing! That's all there is to it, really cx

I would like to receive positive feedback, however constructive criticism, such as redundancy or bad grammar would also be appreciated. I'm very grateful for any reviews, favorites, or follows that I receive, so thank you so much for all of the support, it means a lot! Feel free to comment on anything that stands out to you as well, thanks c:

Super star

Mallorie Cheves (United States) earned a badge Superstar

Mallorie Cheves (United States) liked Farewell by bethanyyy (United States)

Mallorie Cheves (United States) liked To Fear: My Most Dangerous Enemy by StarRose101 (United States)

20160923 161338

Mallorie Cheves (United States) started following Jolenify (Singapore)

12039576 849480145166261 35911332085391462 n

Mallorie Cheves (United States) started following Louisa Rhodes (United Kingdom)

1
1

Mallorie Cheves (United States) published:

I Want To Be Free

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Michael,

You and I both know that I'm not a neat freak, but I found the energy to clean our house today, and I found her lipstick in the bathroom. "Dubonnet", it says. You always told me how red lipstick made me look old, so I know this doesn't belong to me. I know red lips bring out the acne scars I never saw until you pointed them out, and I know it ages me at least twenty years, so why...

Seeking Peer Reviews

I Want To Be Free

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Michael,

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

I Want To Be Free

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Michael,

Seeking Peer Reviews

I Want To Be Free

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

Michael,

You and I both know that I'm not a neat freak, but I found the energy to clean our house today, and I found her lipstick in the bathroom. "Dubonnet", it says. You always told me how red lipstick made me look old, so I know this doesn't belong to me. I know red lips bring out the acne scars you swore you could never see, and I know it ages me at least twenty years, so why would I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

I Want To Be Free

PROMPT: Letter Writing Competition 2016

The house was trashed. I came home to a broken bottle of champagne on the kitchen floor and the toaster left in pieces. Our bedroom was dark, but when I turned on the light I saw our closet cleared out. Her clothes were missing, and her shoes didn't clutter the closet floor anymore. Our comforter and pillows were lying haphazardly on the floor. Marcie left a note for me under the picture I keep of her by my bedside, and...

Letter Writing Competition 2016

I Want To Be Free

Michael,

You and I both know that I'm not a neat freak, but I found the energy to clean our house today, and I found her lipstick in the bathroom. "Dubonnet", it says. You always told me how red lipstick made me look old, so I know this doesn't belong to me. I know red lips bring out the acne scars I never saw until you pointed them out, and I know it ages me at least twenty years, so why would I own lipstick that makes me look ugly in YOUR eyes? While I'm writing this with my left hand and holding "Dubonnet" in my right, I wonder what you tell her when she puts this on. Do you mention how the deep crimson pigment brings out her glistening eyes? Do you compliment her smile and tell her how it "makes the twinkling stars envious"? Of course you do; I'm sure you have those lines memorized like the back of...

Letter Writing Competition 2016

I Want To Be Free

Michael,

Letter Writing Competition 2016

I Want To Be Free

Michael,

You and I both know that I'm not a neat freak, but I found the energy to clean our house today, and I found her lipstick in the bathroom. "Dubonnet", it says. You always told me how red lipstick made me look old, so I know this doesn't belong to me. I know red lips bring out the acne scars I never saw until you pointed them out, and I know it ages me at least twenty years, so why would I own lipstick that makes me look ugly in YOUR eyes? While I'm writing this with my left hand and holding "Dubonnet" in my right, I wonder what you tell her when she puts this on. Do you mention how the deep crimson pigment brings out her glistening eyes? Do you compliment her smile and tell her how it "makes the twinkling stars envious"? Of course you do, I'm sure you have those lines memorized like the back of...

Letter Writing Competition 2016

I Want To Be Free

Michael,

You and I both know that I'm not a neat freak, but I found the energy to clean our house today, and I found her lipstick in the bathroom. "Dubonnet", it says. You always told me how red lipstick made me look old, so I know this doesn't belong to me. I know red lips bring out the acne scars you swore you could never see, and I know it ages me at least twenty years, so why would I own lipstick that makes me look ugly in YOUR eyes? While I'm writing this with my left hand and holding "Dubonnet" in my right, I wonder what you tell her when she puts this on. Do you mention how the deep crimson pigment brings out her glistening eyes? Do you compliment her smile and tell her how it "makes the twinkling stars envious"? Of course you do, I'm sure you have those lines memorized like the back of your hand. 
...

Letter Writing Competition 2016

I Want To Be Free

The house was trashed. I came home to a broken bottle of champagne on the kitchen floor and the toaster left in pieces. Our bedroom was dark, but when I turned on the light I saw our closet cleared out. Her clothes were missing, and her shoes didn't clutter the closet floor anymore. Our comforter and pillows were lying haphazardly on the floor. Marcie left a note for me under the picture I keep of her by my bedside, and next to her note was the lipstick Kourtney left when she rushed out. What I feared the most has finally happened to me. 

Michael,

I cleaned the house today. I cleaned the counters, fluffed our pillows and duvet, and organized our closet. I know you don't care (I never expected you to), but I found her lipstick in the bathroom again. "Dubonnet", it says. You always told me how red lipstick made me look old and prudish, and yet as...

Dear Me

Nothing New

Dear Mallorie,

I'm having a difficult time articulating how our life is currently going, so let's hope we improve our writing by the time you read this. I can't say that I have a specific year that I want you to read this letter by. Rather, I want you to read this when you feel you're ready. Whether you're nostalgic, need clarification on a particular memory, or want to check in to see how things are going for us on June 25th, 2016 just for kicks, you're free to open this whenever you feel you need to. 

We finished junior year on less-than-good terms. Remember that night when we were supposed to study for Algebra II and American Government, but instead we fell asleep on our schoolwork after staying up for two consecutive days? Or how the last week of school left us in tears over the stress-inducing and time consuming work we had to do? Good times.

But what...

Six-Word Memoir

Burdens from Cupid's Arrow

Fearful of love; she slept peacefully. 

Six-Word Story

America's Technical Difficulties

File not found: "Justice and Equality"

New Year Competition 2015

Bane of Burdens

Oh my goodness I hate when my patients refuse to speak, Simon thought to himself. He sat uncomfortably in front of a new face in his office. Her crimson tinted hair hung lazily across a little more than half of her face.

It's against regulations to force patients to speak. However, he didn't see a point in blankly staring at someone for $150 an hour, without so much as a "hello," or, "my name is (insert name here.)"

She reminded him of his high school sweetheart, Jane Swanson.

It would have never worked out with her, what with my mom's death, my dad becoming a nervous wreck, no, in the end our relationship would have been fatal.

I don't like to think about that.

Why am I so enticed with this particular patient’s reserved nature?

He decided to strike up a conversation, or at the very least attempt to.

"Well, I can't force you to speak against your will,...

New Year Competition 2015

Bane of Burdens

Oh my goodness I hate when my patients refuse to speak, Simon thought to himself. He sat uncomfortably in front of a new face in his office. Her crimson tinted hair hung lazily across a little more than half of her face. It's against regulations to force patients to speak, but he didn't see a point in blankly staring at someone for $150 an hour, without so much as a "hello," or, "my name is (insert name here.)" She reminded him of his high school sweetheart, Jane Swanson.

It would have never worked out, Simon thought to himself, what with my mom's death and my dad becoming a nervous wreck, in the end our relationship would have been fatal. I don't like to think about that, but why am I so enticed with this woman's reserved nature? 

"I can't force you to speak against your will, but I am...

New Year Competition 2015

Bane of Burdens

Your World in Three Senses

The Desert Beacons

While looking through the hazy window that leads to a blizzard like wonderland, I see the snow take form into emerald green cacti and cascading steep moutain slopes that emerged from the melting snow mounds. I open the window and climb through; dashing across the scorching hot rocks that stood frozen in the unforgiving sun, and lie down on a bright orange lawn chair that blends into the sunrise. The nostalgic fragrance of a cactus blossum danced in my nose and reminded me of the time in my life where I had no desire to experience the sensation of snow, because the desert was more than enough to fill my days with pure delight. Although, the desert has its flaws as well, I remind myself as I hear the piercing shriek that bombarded my ears when a rattlesnake slithered across the desert landscape. It coils itself around my sun-kissed wrist and I scream; practically waking up the entire classroom as my teacher escorts me...

Five Line Fiction

Here Comes the Bride

I drifted up the small wooden ladder leading into my cramped attic; holding the crimson stained wedding dress and the glistening diamond ring of my former beloved in one clenched fist. I hung up the elegant cream colored gown along with the others and tied the ring on a vacant black string dangling from the roof. The petite brunette in the corner was pleading for her life as I untied the black hankerchief from her mouth. 

"Please, let me go, I won't tell anyone about the others I swear, I won't mention the rings or wedding dresses or the locks of hair, but please I'm begging you, let me go I have a family to take care of!"

But my beloved, I haven't even picked out what wedding dress I wanted you to wear; perhaps Lillian's or Brenda's will do, but once we're married, we can have our own family and our own life, because you are mine.

25 Words

Accidents Happen

I held her petite baby shoes in my hand, sobbing as I realized that she would've never had a chance to grow out of them.

Homesick for a Place

The Greater Good

I turned in my belongings - whatever was on me anyway - to the man at the counter of the local police department. I was only admitted to the local station for further investigation for my, "crude behavior," however anyone who has been in my position usually suffers severe consequences.

What the authorities do not want you knowing are what happens to those who speak out of line. I investigated this topic for six years, since 2017, but cracked the code about four months ago. They have a system set up, where they send out fake prison letters to families in hope that your parents or distant relatives don't worry about you in prison. Since they revoked the right to visitations back in 2019, prisoners could only reach the outside world through letters.

These letters aren't written by who you think they are (most of them anyway.) What the government has been doing for nearly a decade was keep all...

Open Prompt

Pressure

On Mother's Day of May 9th, 1999, although my mother struggled immensely (compared to my two older sisters) she managed to give birth to Mallorie Christine Cheves (your's truly.) No doubt that under all of those shrieks I managed to bellow throughout the room once I was born, I would have never imagined myself as I am today. My name's meaning is translated to "unlucky," and it couldn't be more inaccurate.

My parents divorced when I was three, so even though I never became attached to my father at a young age, he became and continues to be an inspiration in my life. Throughout the years of elementary school I was the popular girl who could easily befriend anyone she set her mind to. I was outgoing and happy; I climbed trees to the highest branch, I sang songs on my Bratz novelty microphone, I constantly read fairy tales and wrote about a princess with superhero powers that fought crime...

Write an August Haiku

Heat Wave

I spend my summers Under the cloudless blue sky Wishing for cold rain

This I Believe

Yesterday

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they're here to stay, oh I believe, in yesterday."

Some of us are familiar with this popular song by the Beatles and favor the mellow ballad that each band member provided. I first heard this song when I was five-years-old, when my grandparents were listening to it on the porch of their home in Sun City West, Arizona. My grandmother told me while the song hummed in the background, "You'll look back at your life and miss the days when you were a kid." As a child, all I have ever wanted to do was grow up and become a published author, so of course I looked at her with disbelief, anxious to become an adult like she once was.

If you were to ask me at age five where I see myself in ten years, I would casually respond with, "Right here," or, "Arizona," where I...

Seventh Sentence Story

Tomorrow's Satisfaction

"The way that he looked he at me, holding the barrel of his gun to his head, was almost indescribable," I reported to the interviewer of the local newspaper. "Despite the twelve lives that were lost during the Riverside shooting, he spared me and only me among the others who had died. He acknowledged my presence the way he did with the other twelve students, but somehow saw me as a type of safe haven. I have never seen Corey demonstrate such a look of freedom. It was the first time I had seen him smile, and although I will never see twelve of my classmates again, I doubt that I will ever see a smile so beautiful."

I read the article the following Sunday, but the editor left out the statement about me complimenting Corey's smile. Very typical of editors to do, as well as pathetic.

This I Believe

Yesterday

Some of us are familiar with this popular song by the Beatles and favor the mellow ballad that each band member provided. I first heard this song when I was five-years-old, when my grandparents were listening to it on the porch of their Spanish style cottage in Young, Arizona. As my grandmother sang along, she told me, "You'll look back at your life and miss the days when you were a kid." As a child, all I have ever wanted to do was grow up and become a published author, so of course I looked at her with disbelief, anxious to become an adult like she once was.

If you were to ask me at age five where I see myself in ten years, I would casually respond with, "Right here," or, "Arizona," where I was raised. I...

One Sentence Story

Restless Stillborn

I swept my hand across the engraved stone of my only son, and felt his soothing, comforting touch grasp it, reminding me of the first and only time his palm rested in mine; a solace only the dead could provide.

All in a Name

What's In a Name?

As a child I had always wondered why they chose the name, "Mallorie." I was given at least two different testimonies, but none of them really made sense to me. My mother told me her favorite character off of "Family Ties" was named Mallory, but it was spelled with a y at the end. My father told me he had dreamed of me as a successful lawyer, known as Mallorie Christine, but dreams usually don't have a strong influence on a person, especially my dad.

Speaking of my father, he would always talk in his sleep. Most of the time he rambled, and as a child I heard him utter my name frequently during his slumber. "I haven't seen her for three weeks." was a sentence I was, and never would be, prepared to comprehend. Paranoia struck me, and as a child I thought that I was invisible to my parents. I cried to my mom about it, and she...

The Unseen

Unsettled Emotions

Pain can take on many forms. Whether it be tears, anger, or envy. We brave the weather and face the storms and hide our pain with glee.

Pain cannot be seen, only hidden under a smile. Yet pain doesn't mind to sink in the bottom of our hearts. We held our heads up high only for a little while, because our pain will never depart.

Much like a monster fading in the shadows, pain will wait for the perfect time to strike. We've no escape from pain's gallows, sometimes we forget what happiness is like.

Yet all hope is not lost in this gloomy weather, for there is a stronger presence in our thoughts. Hope and happiness join together and leave our pain in the dust to rot.

All the while we cannot see, the conflicting battles in our mind. Pain eventually converts to glee but then it all rewinds.

These emotions that we experience cannot be seen but they...

Real-World Problem Solver

The Prejudice Point of View

I remember the weeks I would spend in California with my grandparents, and for the most part these memories were nostalgic and worth reminiscing. Yet as a child who wasn't fully exposed to the corrupt minds of society, I was shocked when I heard my grandfather lecture me on why I should never date a black man. He emphasized the words scum, God's failures, and absolute trash, to name a few. His speech made me cry, and when my mother asked why I was getting so worked up over his opinion (although she disagreed with it as well,) I said, "How could you hate something so much?" My grandmother on the other hand opposed homosexuals and told me if I ever were one, she would disown me. I never understood why the color of someone's skin or a person's sexual preferences should be treated differently, and to this day I never will.

While I agree that eliminating cancer, HIV, or...

Regrets of a Thief

The Shadows of Remorse

Christian anxiously tapped his pencil against the desk, uttering the aggravating percussion that students were too drowsy to address. He knew what to expect when Mrs. Keith's phone rang; he imagined the scenario vividly. "Christian Sandstedt, the guidance office would like to have a word with you." The immature guys in the back of the room would utter a soft, "Ooooh, he's busted." He would overlook them, of course, but the thought raced through his head and made it impossible to pay attention to quadratic equations.

A loud noise chimed from the back of the room. Mrs. Keith walked to the back of the classroom to answer the phone. She had no idea what Christian did, but her face lost its natural olive colored glow, and she slowly hung the phone back onto the receiver. "Christian Sandstedt, Mr. O'Reilly wants to conference with you." He shuffled his papers and slung his backpack onto his right shoulder. There was no point...

Regrets of a Thief

The Shadows of Remorse

Mallorie Cheves's 12 Likes

Farewell by bethanyyy

Published almost 2 years ago

To Fear: My Most Dangerous Enemy by StarRose101

Published almost 2 years ago

America's Technical Difficulties by Mallorie Cheves

Published over 2 years ago

Home Sweet Home by Sasha K. Lotnikee

Published almost 4 years ago

The Jewels of the Beach by Sasha K. Lotnikee

Published almost 4 years ago

I Know by Cas R. Myers

Published almost 4 years ago

Diary of a Bored Hunter's Son by Sasha K. Lotnikee

Published almost 4 years ago

Summer Workout by Sasha K. Lotnikee

Published almost 4 years ago

Ode to the Lemon-Eater and Liar by Sasha K. Lotnikee

Published almost 4 years ago

Books, the window to the soul by Eve

Published almost 4 years ago

Welcome to my "Blog"*! by Sasha K. Lotnikee

Published almost 4 years ago

16 Likes from Others

Accidents Happen

Liked by 4 people

Yesterday

Liked by 3 people

I Want To Be Free

Liked by 1 person

I Want To Be Free

Liked by 1 person

Nothing New

Liked by 1 person

What's In a Name?

Liked by 2 people

Tomorrow's Satisfaction

Liked by 1 person

The Shadows of Remorse

Liked by 3 people

Unsettled Emotions

Liked by 1 person

"Land of the Free"

Liked by 2 people

Restless Stillborn

Liked by 1 person

Yesterday

Liked by 1 person

Heat Wave

Liked by 1 person

Pressure

Liked by 1 person

The Greater Good

Liked by 1 person

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned over 3 years ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned over 3 years ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned over 3 years ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned over 3 years ago

Admirer

You've followed over twenty other writers!

Earned over 2 years ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned over 3 years ago

Super star

You've got SO many followers - more than thirty!

Earned about 1 month ago

Power writer

Do you ever sleep? You've written over TEN THOUSAND WORDS.

Earned over 3 years ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 3 years ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned over 3 years ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned over 3 years ago

Popular penman

Very nicely done - you've got over ten favorites.

Earned over 3 years ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned over 3 years ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned over 3 years ago

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.