The Dreamer

South Africa

16
Female
Baha'i
Reader
Writer
Artist
Puzzle solver
Ravenclaw
Demigod
Ballerina
Dragon rider

Hello there! I am a sixteen year old who believes that books and words are magic .I am born a South African and I live in George but I am also Persian, Brazilian and American ( mostly South African, Persian and Brazillian, though).I enjoy drawing and like to spend time outside. Just lying in the grass looking and listening. I LOVE reding because it transports me to a different world. I can escape from reality anytime I like. The Inkworld triology by Cornelia Funke ,The Waterfire Saga series by Jennifer Donnely and The Icemark by Stuart Hill are my favourite books.
How To Train Your Dragon is the best movie series ever ( and Harry Potter of course!).

Writing for Children Competition 2020

The Little Girl and the Spear

There was a girl who lived by the sea. She spent so much time in the water that her mother called her a fish. She asked the ocean to bring her things, so she could learn about the world.
(earth with a little girl standing on an island, holding a flag that reads: Little Girl)

One day the ocean brought her a spear. (painting of ocean. a wave holding up a spear to the girl, whose back is to us) The little girl looked at it carefully, then picked it up. Still not knowing what to do but she loved puzzles, so she sat down to think.

Then the girl had an idea. She jumped up and climbed a palm tree. She used the spear to cut three coconuts from the tree and threw them down, one at a time. Plonk! Plonk! Plonk! The girl smiled, pleased with her idea but the ocean just sighed, "No,no. That's not it, my...

The Elements #apoemaday20

The wind and the water.
Who's tougher?
Who's rougher?
Who's stronger?
The water has moved mountains but the wind has shaped the desert for even longer.

Fire and ice.
Which is more dangerous?
Which more beautiful?
Ice can glitter and gleam as the highest peak,
or flutter and glide as a graceful snowflake.
Fire can flicker and fly,
melting away the ice
or dance and dazzle bringing new life.

Rain and sun.
Which is the best?
Man and woman..
Need anything be said?
Child and adult who do you trust?
Black and white.
Who is right?

Often we humans overthink.
Everything has its purpose,
its reason.
Though we look different we all  matter.
Whether wind or water, fire or ice, earth or sky;
we all need to work together to bring the seasons.

After all the lightning that strikes you down
or the fire that burns your town,
sees no colour, knows no language, has no notion of age.

For...

BUTTERFLIES #apoemaday17

Together we sailed the seas.
I showed you my deepest part...
but you turned on me
and sent a dagger to my heart.

Sun glowing down, two figures lie beneath the tree.
A day filled with laughter and smiles.
Marigolds and violets, daisies and dandelions - meadows that span for miles.
Like graceful butterflies we flew - free.

Now I feel tethered to the ground.
Fluttering in a cage, 
trapped by your words and deeds,
never daring to wander too far.
My heart is bearing me down.

One day out of the blue
- you changed -
and the clouds overhead darkened the view.
A dagger flew towards me from your hand.
My blood stained the land.

I had a choice to make:
let the rain come down and wash away the fear,
or let the clouds part and the sun come out - paralyzing me here.

Thunder rumbled as you walked away,
leaving a glimmer of sunshine in your...

The Voyagers' Code #apoemaday16

Each of us is a voyager,
sailing through the seas of time.
Whether pirate or sailor, diplomat or soldier
we are all trying to be a star that shines.

The waters of life are so clean and so pure, so deep and so blue...
yet - sometimes- they drown you.
Swimming desperatly, gasping for air,
trying not to succumb to darkness's lair.

On board the ship we must all act as one,
help one another, if we are to get things done.
Haul up the sails let the wind blow us along.
Love and live with every fiber but don't dwell on things too long.

Hand in hand, arm in arm we stand strong and at the ready,
for out at sea everything's unsteady.
Trust the waters.
No need to know where we're going
only that together we must keep growing.

Voyagers are tough and brave 
however they miss the land from whence they came.
But a voyager knows that as...

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

A Lost Letter

Dear Professor Bates,

I lent against the door. Three voices – the third wasn't human. One was booming, one smooth and another - screeching. Someone declared, “Ella sal die kaap terug gee aan die Nederlandse!” 

Remember what I taught you, Professor?!

Finally the strange voice spoke. I caught the last word: perfect. How I shivered!

I write to you now, John, with every hope that you may receive this. I’m afraid I will not be returning. I trust you know what to do.

You have been a better friend to me than I deserved….

I love you...
Charlotte

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

A Lost Letter

Dear Professor Bates,

I leant against the door. Three voices – the third wasn't human. One was booming, one smooth and another - screeching. Someone declared, “Ella sal die kaap terug gee aan die Nederlandse!” 

Remember what I taught you, Professor?!

Finally the strange voice spoke. I caught the last word: perfect. How I shivered! I fled.

I love you...
Charlotte

Fantasy Writing Competition 2019

How Times Have Changed

She stood in a dark blue ball gown. Exquisite but old. If one looked closely enough, one would see the places were it had been expertly mended so it could be used time and time again through the years. The fabric was frayed around the edges but most people never paid that much attention to see. The princess wore a glittering necklace of emerald and Tanzanite around her neck (though an expert jeweler would tell you that they were ancient sprite stones, formed by hands not earth and practically worthless). The princess forest of black curly hair often grabbed attention and so these DISSAPOINTMENTS were well hidden. She and the prince had stepped out of the ballroom just a moment ago and onto the balcony overlooking Saran's most glorious mountain range. Three full moons glimmered in the night sky. A smile played across her lips. Her eyes twinkled. The  prince went down on one knee and held out a gold...

Novel Writing Competition 2018

The Nameless: Chapter 1

The fire was spreading quickly. The way waves roll onto the shore,except these waves never went back. No-they kept coming.The flames were mercilesss. They turned anything in their path to ashes.The smoke rose in the room - so did the tension. Screams could now be herad from every living thing in the  circular court room. Some were fake, others blood-chillingly real.The princesss fled from the room, stopping only to pick up the jewels of several perished courtiers.

An hour passed and never once did the princess look back to see what had become of her ladies-in-waiting. She was a very smart,wity and capable young woman, who did not need anyones help, only chose to use it. During the past hour she had discovered a part of herself that everyone ( including herself) believed lost. She had taken control, sending soldiers for water and doctors for the injured.This was the kind, Suphi elf who had been gladly offered and accepted as...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

Hero

Every princess has a knight,
who will slay a dragon for her one night.
who would die before going down without a fight.
who would hardly think once before doing right.

Every child has a mother,
who would put themselves between them and danger, without so much as a shudder.
 who will speak up, even in the face of death, and never stutter.
who would fight anyone who hurts them, even a brother.

Every person has a heart,
which would not only love them, but give everyone else a slice of the tart.
which might cost them many tears but will always give them a new start.
 which will always bring people together, never push them apart.

Every Camp-Half blood has a Luke,
who may seem evil but has simply taken the wrong route.
who is treated as a pawn instead of a duke.
 who never needed power and money only love - and perhaps the music of a flute. ...

Why? #3

It was supper time and everyone was gathered downstairs. The whole school was there as always.

Now when I say school each of you will picture something different. Some of you might picture a large stone hall filled with tables and talking children, others may imagine a great room with a high ceiling and two long tables, one for the girls and one for the boys, no doubt that this is a rich private school and that at the front of the hall there is a long table, higher than the other two, where a handful of stern looking wrinkled old ladies are fiddling with steamed cabbages. It doesn't matter what you imagine, however, because you are most certainly wrong. It was no private boarding school or art academy or even a normal school. It was a school run by the students, more of a home really. 

There were many villages and hamlets and even a small town in the...

Op-Ed Competition 2019

Kindness

"Have courage and be kind" Wasn't it our own Cinderella who said this? It seems so simple but it really isn't. What if it could be? What if in another two generations being kind would be as natural as talking. I use the example talking because sure it might be something that comes naturally to us but it isn't something that we always get right. Sometimes you say the wrong thing, sometimes you can't put your thoughts into words, sometimes you don't say anything when you should or you say something when you really shouldn't. But the majority of the time we can control what we say. Kindness should be like this.

Imagine a world where everybody cares. Not just about themselves but about the people around them, their environment and the generations to come. If people cared about each other they wouldn't try to exploit or use or deliberately hurt others. They would think about the consequences and about...

Why? #2

Two weeks before.....

It was a shiny bright December day but Erica felt the opposite of shiny. She was sewing, again. One tiny stitch at a time she felt her patience wearing thin. They would pay for making her do this. Sure her sticthes were the best and she could sew whatever you could imagine, but that was only because her hands were so steady and precise. Not because she liked it! Erica made one final sticth then tied a knot. She held up her work and examined it. It was a beautiful creme coloured dress with delicate lace and embroidery.

It was peculiar that Erica had made something so beautiful for her fashion sense was....unique.. She always wore long, blue, fingerless gloves that covered her arms and showed off her dainty fingers. Winter or summer the girl was dressed in a red, stripey dress that just looked like a very long  T-shirt, she never even noticed the cold....

Change

Isn't it strange,
how we know things must change
but yet every time
they do
we're caught by surprise.

They say......

They say I'm quiet,
because they don't hear all the voices in my head.

They say I don't speak but they never listen when I do.

They say I'm a robot, I can do no wrong.
That's because I don't tell them about every time 
I messed up so bad that I sat down and cried
so silently that no one ever realized.
               *
At the end o' story
no one really knows me...
and I guess I'll never know them.

Even my best friend 
only sees the tip o' the iceberg!
But there's so much more to me than that.

So much more....
that's hidden below the sea.
                 *
They say I'm calm,
but I got a temper that could kill them all!

They say I'm as boring as can be.
But I have the spirit of a lion, longing to be wild and...

The Nameless: A History, part 1

Once there were six elves: Orion, he was the leader; Andrew,he was Orion's best friend; Maximus, he was also part of the trio but he was never quite as clever or magical as either of them; Tatiana, she was the most beautiful elf alive in her time, with flowing hair and eyes that reflected the light like diamonds; Zariya, Taiana's older,wilder and less aknowledged sister; Mirella, she was calm and serene and in love with Orion; Fidell, he was funny and the most talkative of the lot. Here we will explore each of their stories, one by one.

They were explorers who had been travelling together for months.They had visited secret valleys and hidden caves. They were friends, bound together by their innumerable near death experiences.One day these seven discovered a cluster of islands in the middle of a bright blue sea.

There were five islands in total. The largest,in the middle, was shaped like a dove when seen...

Mages and Magic

Every elf has at some point in their life been able to perform magic. But to perform magic you need twothings: an imagination and a strong willpower. As children these things are easy but as elves grow olderimaginations fade and dissapear making magic harder to perform. This causes them to lose their willpower and so magic becomes impossible. 

Magic does not run in the bloodline and is not passed down from generation to generation. It simply depends on each individual's imginaton and willpower. Magic is the ability to harness the energy of life ( or the life-force of something) and create something new from it. As long as there is life energy to be harnassed, magic will exist.the consequences however to performing magic is that nature or animals are killed as their life-force is dragged out of them. These consequences are being reffered to as 'magic pollution' by the modern elf.

Blood magic however is a completly different concept. It...

Competition!!!

I have seen many people do this so I thought I would too. I am on  summer holidays   and it will keep me busy :)

So the theme is: How well do you know them?
basically you are going to write a story where your best friend, classmate, mother, father, brother, sister etc. is the main character. You can change their name and appearance but the character MUST be based on them.

Plot Twist!! Your story must take place two hundred years ago. So here's the challenge: do you know this person well enough to guess where they would live what they would do and how they would speak two hundred years ago?

Word limit: I am not going to give one because I know how hard it is to try and cut your stories short.
Due date: 28 December

Prizes

1st: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice
2nd: 2 reviews
3rd: 1 review

Please comment down below with a...

Once the World Was...

Once the World Was....

Once the world was greedy,
it sought to destroy and conquer.
It is this thinking 
that has brought us here.
The world has crumbled
because we have destroyed it.

We must change our perspective.

A dear friend of mine once said:
"They say kill two birds with one stone,
but why would you want to kill a bird?
We should all plant two flowers with one seed."

The day we learn 
to build instead of destroy,
to grow together instead of conquer.
That day,
we will succeed.

Competition!!!

Due date: 28 December

Prizes

1st: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice
2nd: 2 reviews
3rd: 1 review

Please comment down below with a...

Competition!!!

I have seen many people do this so I thought I would too. I am on  summer holidays and it will keep me busy :)

Due date: 28 December

Prizes

1st: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice
2nd: 2 reviews
3rd: 1 review

Please comment down below with a...

The Village of Nature

It was over,
all over.
The smoke had lifted.

Everything was black,
burned to a crisp.
The ground was charcoal.

Thousands of ferns,
the villagers,
poked their heads out of the ground.
"Is it safe?" they asked.
They unfurled their leaves
and stretched them out along the Earth,
in defence of their land.
They had been in hiding.
Now they were reborn;
and together they stood,
hand in hand,
ready to defend.

Below them was their village,
burned,
destroyed,
nothing but ashes.
Little patches of bright green grass
sprouted up, here and there,
like crystals growing on a rock.
The grass was the hope of the people,
reborn from the flames like a pheonix.

Above the villagers, rising up,
tall and proud were the trees,
the soldiers.
All were injured;
many dead,
toppled on the forest floor,
but many lived.
Copper coloured leaves
melted into a green tip.

Higher above still,
were the mountains,
the peoples' griefs,fears and their old...

Flowers

They say the most beautiful flowers bloom last.

Have you ever wondered what makes them so beautiful?
It's the fact that all the other flowers have either fallen off the tree, or are busy wilting.
So, of course, when a tree is bare whatever flower blooms will be seen as the most beautiful.

These flowers may have beauty but they don't have something very important: friendship.
They are all alone.
Silent 
Mute
Alone

So when another late flower blooms nearby..
it opens wider,
flourishes  with life,
it now has a voice,
a heart.

She will no longer shed tears of sweet nectar,
nor will she hang her head in grief.
Instead the two lonely flowers will shed their petals
-- together.

So fear not little flower,
for we are all flowers in one garden and flowers will always bloom around us.
Sometimes you will have to be alone,
but never lose hope,
because  just beyond that ivy- covered wall
is another...

Constant as the Stars Above, an auto-biography by Mother Gothel

I used to live in the village, long ago.  I was very young when I met King Wihelm at the ball. We became good friends and we fell in love. But Wilhelm was estined to marry someone else, a princess. his parents disliked me very much because of my commoner blood. To please his parents Wilhelm denied his love for me and married the princess. I believe he grew to love her. I was heartbroken but I continued to live in the village. I vowed never to marry and so as an unmarried maiden I lived alone. I had a little home where I began to take in orphans and raise them as my own. One day Wilhelm came knocking at my door. He gave me a baby saying that he needed a son, a daughter was of no good to him. "Her name is Rapunzel," he said, " consider her a gift to mend your broken heart."  Inside her...

How I Started a Rebellion #paperbirdcontest

The sky darkened. There was the rumbling of thunder. Suddenly, lightning hit the sky. Like a needle it stitched intricate patterns of everlasting silver into the night sky.

I ran. I ran from the lightning, from the people chasing after me and from my home. 

"What happened?" I thought. "I used to be so happy here.." Before I can tell you about the events of the previous few days I need to explain the state of the world.

It was just after World War 6. In the year 4045. America started it, like the previous three. America isn't where it used to be though ( I know this from seeing a world map of the year 2018 in the musuem) the earth of once six continents now only has one. After The Big Collision in 3031, America freaked out and the rest of the countries took away most of its land. Left with  one quarter of what it once had,...

Why I Write

Why I Write

I write as a way of expressing myself. I write to create a world where I can run away to. A world where anything and everything is possible. My writing is my refuge. It is my artwork. My creation. My imagination. My world. My mind. When I write  can let out many of my feelings, feelings most people don't even know I have. I can, without anyone knowing, give my characters my own insecurities, weakness and strengths; place them in similar situations as my daily life and then watch them overcome the challenges, flurish as a person and finally have their happily ever after. Writing gives me hope, courage and strength. It teaches me that we all ave the potential to da anything. It's our fear that holds us back and we all have that fear. But it's up to us if we want to fight it and overcome it or give in to it. When I write I can go...

One Moment of Courage

I am so confused.
Pffft!
No I 'm not.
I know exactly what I need to do.
But fear won't let me.
Fear tells me it's okay
it can wait another day.
Fear holds me back.

And oh, how simple it would be,
to give in?
To forget whatever I meant to do
and let it pass by.
But I can't.
For I know the guilt will haunt me.
Like a dark cloud holding me down, 
extinguishing every ray of light.
It would follow me for the rest of my days.
Guilt

After all it will only take one moment,
a split second of blind courage.
Then the rest from there would flow,
like a river to the sea.
And I will soon be embraced by the oceans of releif.
Serenity.

It's now or never.
Deep breath in, deep breath out.
Here I go......

Novel Writing Competition 2018

The Nameless: Chapter 1

Novel Writing Competition 2018

The Nameless: Chapter 1

The fire was spreading quickly. The way waves roll onto the shore,except these waves never went back.No-they kept coming.The flames were mercilesss. They turned anything in their path to ashes.The smoke rose in the room - so did the tension.Screams could now be herad from every living thing in the  circular court room. Some were fake, others blood-chillingly real.The princesss fled from the room, stopping only to pick up the jewels of several perished courtiers.

An hour passed and never once did the princess look back to see what had become of her ladies-in-waiting.She was a very smart,wity and capable young woman, who did not need anyones help, only chose to use it. During the past hour she had discovered a part of herself that everyone ( including herself) believed lost. She had taken control,sending soldiers for water and doctors for the injured.This was the kind,Suphi elf who had been gladly offered and accepted as the prince's bride.She used to...

What is Normal?

People used to tease me alot telling me I was a goody-too-shoes and a weirdo. Once a girl even called me the devil because( according to her)  I pretended to be all good in class so the teachers liked me and then I was rude at break. I still , to this day do not know what I ever did to offend her.  Sure I was shy during primary school but I really don't think I was rude.(Don't worry we ended up as friends in the end.) 

Another time one of my classmates called me a "study freak". This really upset me. It even made me cry, but I didn't give him the satisfaction of seeing that.

Since going to high school ( my  high school is really small and most of the students are the weirdos and misfits who didn't fit into any other school), though, I realised that there is nothing wrong with being weird.

After all, what...